Start by marking “The Ghost of Glendale” as Want to Read:

The Ghost of Glendale

At twenty-four years old, Phoebe Marcham is resigned to spinsterhood, unwilling to settle for anything less than the deep love her parents had shared. That is, until adventurer Duncan Armstrong rides into her home wood, larger than life and with laughter in his eyes and more charm in his little finger than anyone she’s ever met.

Far from ridiculing her family ghost, Dunca
Published April 25th 2018 (first published March 30th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost of Glendale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost of Glendale

Start your review of The Ghost of Glendale
Berit☀️✨
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, blog-tour
4 Ghostly Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟

This was a lovely historical romance with just the perfect touch of paranormal.... so even if you are somebody who does not enjoy the paranormal I think you will still enjoy this book... additionally for such a short book it sure did pack a big punch... a lot went on in this book... this book really did have a little bit of everything the romance between Phoebe and Duncan... their relationship was so real and developed at such a wonderful pace, you really could feel the attra
Susan Hampson
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a truly delightful story set in Somerset where a chance meeting of Phoebe Marcham and her estranged neighbour Duncan Armstrong, leads to romance. There has been a family feud going on for over 200 years with the reason why being lost way back in time. Twenty four-year-old Phoebe, is determined to poke and dig at the past and find out why, especially as she has her 200-year-old ghost of an ancestor, Simon Marcham is nagging her at every opportunity!
How I loved this pair. Phoebe quite head
Jenny Worstall
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Ghost of Glendale is an absolute gem, bursting with wit, elegance and charm, as befits the Regency era. An intricate plot, strong characterisation and lively dialogue all combine to make this a hugely enjoyable read.
Tracy Emro
May 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, the idea of a ghost story was intriguing and it is set in the Regency Era, so I was very excited to read it - but in the end, it just didn't work for me.

What I did like:
It is set in the Regency era, there is a ghost, the heroine Phoebe is a bit older and her relationship with the hero Duncan reminded me a little bit of Jane Austen's Emma (without the matchmaking). She nailed the all the titles and formal address.

What I didn't like:
There are A LOT of characters
Shell Baker
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Those of you that follow my reviews will know I am a sucker for a ghost story so I jumped at the chance to read this although historical romance isn't normally my thing. But I found myself totally enchanted and raced though this story with it being only 113 pages long.

The Ghost of Glendale tells the story of romance and mystery with of course an element of the supernatural. With it being a novella there is plenty of information so we get a true feeling of the characters, who I adored. Phoebe is
Katie
By Natalie Kleinman
4 stars
Reviewed on behalf of 3 Degrees of Fiction Book Blog.

I love historical romance stories so to have one with a paranormal element was different to read. Overall I enjoyed the story and for a novella it was quite well paced and had everything I would want from a story. The author did a really good job of keeping her writing suitable to the time period that the story is set in. The characters were reminiscent of this and suited the story well. I really
Angellina
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author of this historical fiction novella has esteemed talent speaking in the language of this time. The novel spoke volumes in the perfect setting and that lent itself to the plot line. The characters however, I felt lacked description and development. The entire novel, I pictured Duncan Armstrong to look like a version of Jamie from Outlander due to the Scottish roots and the lack of description of his profile. I felt like the side plot of Simon and Agnes’ past helped the characters of Pho ...more
Bena Roberts
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Review The Ghost of Glendale by Natalie Kleinman

The Ghost of Glendale is lovely British fable about finding love with a ghost twist. It works really well, and I enjoyed reading it. The best thing about doing blog tours is reviewing books and enjoying books you would not usually read. This is one of them and the fact that I enjoyed it makes it even better!

The Good
Enter 19th Century England. Meet the lovely strong-willed Phoebe. She is young and single, but at that time she was deemed old. Then
Christie72 (Devilishly Delicious Book Reviews)
The Ghost of Glendale by Natalie Kleinman is a great combination of historical romance with a bit of a ghost story!

Phoebe Marcham is twenty-four-years-old, and she has resigned herself to becoming a spinster. She is a woman ahead of her time, and she refuses to marry for anything less than love. Her parents were deeply in love, and she wants that kind of marriage, not one made as an alliance between families. Who knew fate was just about to intervene and completely upend Phoebe!!!

Scotsman, Dunc
Steph Warren
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a free ARC of this book via Rachel’s Random Resources blog tour. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

The Ghost of Glendale is a gentle period romance reminiscent of Jane Austen, except where Austen livens her prose with acerbic humour, Kleinman has the mystery of a familial ghost and an ancient feud (thankfully not broken to new mutiny!).

The ghostly aspects are kept light and in keeping with the time the novel is set, and more focus is on the solving of the family myst
Jéssica
Shelves: favorites, reviews
Many of you that have been following my reviews know that I love Historical Romances and Regency books. So, of course, when Natalie sent me an email about her book and the blog tour, and we got to talk a bit, I was curious. I read 'The Ghost of Glendale' blurb and it picked my interest, because it was different for the last few historical romances and regency books I have read.

'The Ghost of Glendale' is a quick read, set in a time that made the storyline just a bit more magical than someone woul
Julie Morris
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to admit, Regency romance novels are not a genre that I read. I have heard other people raving about Georgette Heyer and others of that ilk but have never been drawn to Regency as a genre. However, something about this book piqued my curiosity when I was offered the chance to read it and, now I have, I am wondering why it has taken me so long to discover it.

This is a rip-roaring tale of family feuds, restless spirits, rugged Scotsman and feisty heroines, wrapped up in the restrained and g
Rachel (Rae)
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy a regency romance so as soon as I saw the description for The Ghost of Glendale I knew I had to read it. The touch of paranormal to the story definitely intrigued me and I was interested to see how this part would play out. It was lovely to see Phoebe so involved in wanting to discover the mystery especially one that has been waiting to be solved for so long. I found the paranormal side of the book was just about right, it didn't overpower the story at all I think it just helped t ...more
Sarah Davies
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an historical story with a mystery that needs to be solved, well written with a nice description for the characters, but the story did feel to be lacking and didn't really grab my attention.

But non the less its an easy going read.
Nicki Southwell
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
Review to follow
Donna Maguire

This is just a short read but I really enjoyed it and highly recommend!

I do love paranormal and ghost stories and this blurb really drew me in, I am a huge historical fiction reader too and I loved the cover. The writing style suited the book and it flowed so well to give the story a beautiful style and it was a pleasure to read.

I loved the main characters of Phoebe and Duncan, they worked really well together. I also really enjoyed the interaction between
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book captured me from the first page. I enjoy this time period and Phoebe Marcham is my favorite type of strong, intelligent heroine. She can hold her tongue when necessary but still she takes no guff. The mystery has a Romeo and Juliet quality, but has kept many people guessing for generations. I loved the author's descriptions and have dreams of building my own maze to get lost in. A romantic tale with requisite obstacles, one of them being Aunt Sophia, whose character I also adored.

This
Julia Bell
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a well deserved three-star story. I warmed to Phoebe as I'm fond of independent heroines who are on the feisty side. I would have liked to have known more about the ghost and the love between Simon and Agnes which was on the lines of Romeo and Juliet so quite intriguing. If the story was longer, perhaps double the size, I think this would be an engrossing novel.

Even so, this was a well written story and I quite liked the dialogue between the characters that seemed in keeping with the Re
Bex
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, reading it on an evening when overtired and looking forward to something gentle. I met Natalie at a Georgette Heyer event so pleased to see that she offers a lot of what I love about Heyer - a focus on strong characters, a bit of mystery, and an engagement with plot rather than an obsession with sex scenes.

The ghost story has a touch of Romeo and Juliet about it, the romance happens quite fast - enjoyed the respect held between the characters!
Leah Tonna
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this delightfully old-fashioned read, a really well-written romance set in a time when upper class young men & women were rarely alone together. Phoebe & Duncan both have a bit of spark, & the chance to discover why the ghost of Simon haunts Phoebe's house brings them close.
Add in a couple of lesser romances, some slight misunderstandings, & the healing of a 200-year-old family rift, - a lot happens in this Regency period novella.
Thank you Natalie Kleinman for my personalised copy.
Catherine Rowntree
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pretty lame. Easy to read but very predictable and the ghost story just didn't hold any weight. Read it if you have nothing else available and don't want to think too much. ...more
Adele
Apr 24, 2018
Rosemary Pimbley
rated it did not like it
Allyson
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this book in return for my honest opinion.

What a lovely rainy weekend read this book was. As summer sets in I am always looking for beach reads, this past weekend was dreary and rainy; so I made a cup of tea and curled up in my favorite chair to read this treasure. It was a lovely kind of regency romance/gothic ghost story, a great tale of love and just a feel good book. I enjoyed the story of Pheobe and Duncan, the
Linda
Nov 14, 2019
Charity  Bartley Howard
Apr 24, 2018
Vivien Brown
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I first read this story in its original incarnation as a pocket novel (meaning it was first published by a women's magazine company and was only on sale for two or three weeks). I was impressed by the feeling of authenticity in the research, the manners and relationships of the period and the historically realistic dialogue etc which sets it very firmly in traditional Regency romantic novel territory. Lovely to see what Natalie has done in repackaging and republishing the novel to make it availa ...more
Kathryn Garner
A good,historical romance with a bit of a mystery thrown in. Interesting characters who were not typical of the time.
Kaitlin Underwood
I loved this book! It was reminiscent of Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Extremely well written with the charm of 19th century England shining through the romance and mystery. Romance was a bit light, I could have handled a lot more in that regard, but the relationship between the two main characters is endearing

The review is based on an ARC ebook in exchange for an honest review.
Kat Valentine
Arden Belrose
May 02, 2018
~Michelle~
May 04, 2018

• A Warriner to Seduce Her (The Wild Warriners #4)
  • Spring at the Little Duck Pond Cafe (The Little Duck Pond Cafe, #1)
  • The Tarnished Chalice (Matthew Bartholomew, #12)
  • Last Christmas
  • The Missing
  • A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #1)
  • One Summer in Rome
  • True Love at the Lonely Hearts Bookshop (Lonely Hearts Bookshop #2)
  • On The Up
  • The Exact Opposite of Okay (Izzy O'Neill, #1)
  • Teacher's Dead
  • The Cottage on Lily Pond Lane - New Beginnings: Part One (Lily Pond Lane, #1)
  • One Summer Weekend
  • The Wedding Date
  • Christmas at the Log Fire Cabin
  • The Little Bookshop of Lonely Hearts (Lonely Hearts Bookshop #1)
  • The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway, #2)
  • The Cottage on Lily Pond Lane - Summer Secrets: Part Two (Lily Pond Lane, #2)

News & Interviews