Start by marking “The 007 Diaries: Filming Live and Let Die” as Want to Read:
The 007 Diaries: Filming Live and Let Die

The 007 Diaries: Filming Live and Let Die

Out of print for over forty years, this limited edition of The 007 Diaries introduces Roger Moores James Bond Diary to a new generation of fans.

To tie in with the release of his first James Bond film, Live and Let Die, Roger Moore agreed to keep a day-by-day diary throughout the films production, which would be published just ahead of the premiere in July 1973.

From his
Published June 1st 2018 by The History Press (first published July 6th 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The 007 Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 007 Diaries

Start your review of The 007 Diaries: Filming Live and Let Die
Bill Lynas
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Way back in the 1970s, when I was still at school, I bought a paperback of Roger Moore As James Bond 007. Over the years I've read it quite a few times & my copy is a now a bit worn & faded. This new hardback, limited edirion, of the book is very nicely presented. As well as a new introduction from David (Felix Leiter) Hedison there are some very welcome additional photographs from the making of Live & Let Die. The publishers have even reproduced the film's poster on the inside ...more
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sir Roger Moore a jewel of the EON crown he was undoubtedly the best ambassador of the 007 series and even Daniel Craig has strong feelings about this gentleman and his first movie in the guise of James Bond 007.

In this book Roger Moore relates about his adventures filming the "Live and let die" his debut for the 007 series and his does this in his usual wicked way for anybody wanting the dirt on anybody I am afraid Roger Moore is not your writer, he does not mention anything that could cause
kesseljunkie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a magnificently intimate accounting of Sir Roger Moores work on his first Bond film, Live and Let Die. Moores innate charm and self-deprecating wit are on full display and I feel like I understand not just the moviemaking of the era a little better but the man himself.

What a light he was in the world, and what a positively charming man. I enthusiastically endorse this work for any Bond fan and any film fan, and think even those with a passing curiosity for history will enjoy an unguarded
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I picked this book up in 2003 at a Toy Fair, read it then and loved it. I decided to read it again, following Sir Rogers passing and what a treat it was.
This is Roger Moores diary of his time making Live And Let Die - we dont get anything from before production began and we dont get anything after production ended, but we get absolutely everything between those two points. Where now a lot of behind the scenes material (which I love to read) is either tactful or adheres to the company line, this
Kara
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 007 Diaries: Filming Live and Let Die is a fun, ultimate insiders view of the filming of Live and Let Die nearly three decades ago. During his first outing as James Bond, Roger Moore kept a daily diary. A book was published in 1973, and earlier in 2019 the book has finally made it to audio.

This was a fun book to listen to during a road trip. Since there wasnt really a plot that we had to pay attention to, we could converse during the story and only pay attention during particularly
Rob Thompson
Roger Moore's James Bond Diary by Roger Moore

Roger Moore's James Bond Diary is an account of his filming the movie Live and Let Die and was published in 1973. The book opens with an acknowledgment to Sean Connery, with whom Moore has been friends for many years: "I would also like to thank Sean Connery with whom it would not have been possible."

This pun really sums Sir Rodge up and sets the tone for the rest of the book.

Being a big Bond fan, and also a big Sir Rodge fan (check out his recent
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, film, making-of
To start, I should say that I was a huge fan of the late, great Sir Roger Moore. I picked this up in 2003 at a Toy Fair, read it then and loved it. Jump to 2017 and, on hearing of his passing, I decided to read it again and what a treat it was.

Ed
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since this is just back in print after 45 years, I was excited to take a look. This is the best insight we'll ever get into the day to day mechanics of a Bond production and who else but Roger Moore would do it. On that basis, it is interesting to see how the proverbial trains ran back then. Moore is as ever, self deprecating and funny. The book is somewhat disclaimed as being 45 years old so some language that would never fly remains intact, which is nothing if not interesting. However, even as ...more
Oh Captain
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as witty as his later biographical works, but nevertheless an entertaining read. Sir Roger walks us through the highs and lows of film-making in the early 1970s; the tedium, the wind-ups, the race-relations and family affairs, the injuries and illnesses, the tantrums, the crocodiles, the stars and starlets. Probably worth more to a James Bond fan, than any casual reader. I enjoyed it a lot.
Luke
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Roger Moore was my first James Bond.

Thats not quite right. Ian Fleming was, as I had heard of James Bond and decided it was worth checking out some of his books from the library when I was woefully under the target age for them. But I remember discovering a whole series of movies through my parents (and a troop of babysitters). And being the 80s at this point, Moore was the go-to.

Of Moores tenure, two films still are sentimental favourites with me: The Spy Who Loved Me (which the actor
anolinde
This was a really interesting (and sometimes pretty wild) book. I made sure to watch Live and Let Die before I started reading it, since I had never seen it before, and I'm glad I did because it was so helpful to be able to visualize all the locations.

There were a lot of fascinating details about the way race played into the film. Given the plot of the movie and the decade in which it was made, I wasn't surprised by how, erm, questionable some of it was. I did some research and found out that it
Alastair
What a strange time capsule of a book.

Full disclosure: I found Live and Let Die an extremely difficult movie to watch. Its a blaxploitation film created by white men. Its a movie in which every African American character is complicit in evil. Its a string of outwardly entertaining moments built on a rotting foundation of obliviousness at best, meanspiritedness at worst.

But every movie has hard-working cast and crew insulated by the demands of the shoot, and this diary made me appreciate the hell
Tony
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is a reasonably entertaining, light-hearted account of Roger Moore's experience of filming Live & Let Die. It's - usually - upbeat.

It's a bit politically incorrect, especially when it comes to talking about women but that is a sin of the time it was written I suspect.

Roger Moore is an actor with an awareness of his own limitations and has an ability to laugh at himself, which means even when he's talking about another dinner with the rich and/or famous you don't find yourself too
Tom
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Sir Rog, and was excited when heard this was going to be re-released after his passing. It really is an intriguing insider view of what it's like to be Bond. All the paparazzi and high expectations. His unique humor is front and center throughout. And is there any Hollywood star he didn't know? Must read for Sir Rog fans.
Martyn Perry
Having a day by day detailed account written by the star actor of a massive production is extremely rare. But especially when the book is from a movie filmed nearly 50 years ago.

This is such a fascinating read. Sure its aged and isnt PC by todays standards, but for any Bond fan this is essential reading.
Gary
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally got to read this famous book, a diary of Sir Roger's experiences filming his first outing as 007, republished in memoriam following his premature passing. It is every bit as amusing as its reputation and one cannot help but hear Sir Roger's voice in every word. Highly recommended for fans of Bond, Sir Roger or behind the scenes books.
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's so nice to read another Roger Moore book, it's like comfort food, he's very funny & speaks with admiration for others. This wasn't quite as good as Bond on Bond due to the diary format but I've got high hope for "My Word is my Bond".
Mike O'Connor
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable behind the scenes day by day account of Roger Moore playing Bond for the first time on Live and Let Die. Moore is a good writer, and like his approach to the role, has a light, deft comic touch in recounting the filming and traveling involved. ...more
Harry  Steele
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating window into a different time
Aaron W. Roberts
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
A solid reminder that actors do very little acting on a movie set. Luckily, Moore can spin a decent yarn and makes most mundane days on set feel somewhat eventful.
Yosef Shapiro
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies, movie-tie-ins
A behind the scenes view of the filming and promotion of Roger Moores first Bond movie. ...more
Helen
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not so much dated as 'of its time'. Interesting insight.
Bob Cairns
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a Bond fan it's a great read.
Simon Spiegel
A few funny anecdotes, a bit of insight into the Bond machinery, but all in all, this is a rather tedious read. Too many lame jokes, tom many sexist asides.
Kristine
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boundless love for this one
Laney
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look behind the scenes of my personal favorite Bond film from the perspective of my personal favorite Bond.
Joe  Noir
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A collector's item in the original Fawcett paperback edition, it's now in a new edition, including ebook. This one is a lot of fun.
Michael Smith
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an entertaining read. It was nice to see into Roger's mind and see what he thought about being the new Bond. He tells of having to lose weight, dying his hair, and being quite surprised at being cast as the new Bond.

He complains that the 'body double" they used for the snake scene has hairless feet and look nothing like his own feet.

This was a daily diary about Moore's fist outing as Bond. It was enjoyable if for no other reason than to find that Moore doesn't take himself too
Tim Finn
May 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die hard Moore Bond fans
I was a Moore fan and a Bond, so I purchased this after seeing Live and Let Die. There really isn't much in it, of any note...has an interesting suggestion as to what a super version of Off should (hint, B & F), not a lot of insight into his characterization of 007, which I would have preferred. It's more a Bond curiousity then anything else. If you don't read it, you won't be missing anything, even if you're a Bond fanatic.
Druss
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies
A good read. The making of a Bond movie from the POV of the main man. Lots of interesting stuff and not so much stuff, off screen mainly. Well written on the whole, Moore has an easygoing style as I heard when I saw him last year. Mainly for fans but a good read.

• I Am C-3PO: The Inside Story
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • Forever and a Day
  • The Comedians: Drunks, Thieves, Scoundrels, and the History of American Comedy
  • Blowing the Bloody Doors Off: And Other Lessons in Life
  • The Elephant to Hollywood
  • Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road
  • Inside Broadmoor: Up close and personal with Britain's most dangerous criminals
  • Nobody Does it Better: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of James Bond
  • Pressure is a Privilege: Lessons I've Learned from Life and the Battle of the Sexes
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Conan Doyle for the Defense: The True Story of a Sensational British Murder, a Quest for Justice, and the World's Most Famous Detective Writer
  • The English and their History
  • The Captain's Oath
  • The Wild Bunch: Sam Peckinpah, a Revolution in Hollywood, and the Making of a Legendary Film
  • Revolution on the Hudson: New York City and the Hudson River Valley in the American War of Independence
  • The Making of Star Wars (Star Wars:  The Making of, #1)
  • The Fabulous Bouvier Sisters
For the fantasy author/RPG writer see Roger Moore; for the photographer see Roger Mzungu Moore; for the poet see Roger Moore, and for others see Roger Moore

Sir Roger George Moore, KBE was an English actor and film producer, perhaps best known for portraying British secret agent James Bond in seven films from 1973 to 1985, and also Simon Templar in the TV series The Saint from 1962 to 1969. He