Start by marking “A Long Goodbye” as Want to Read:
A Long Goodbye

A Long Goodbye

New cover edition for this work here

Simon, a successful accountant, has a big problem. The biggest of them all. He checks himself into Orchard Care Home whilst still relatively healthy, the youngest resident by decades. He’s confident he cut all ties with the outside world and is untraceable.

Published March 29th 2018

To ask other readers questions about A Long Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Long Goodbye

Whispering Stories
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed by Linda on www.whisperingstories.com

A very interesting and different choice of subject to write about for a first published novel but it was absolutely brilliant!!

The title A Long Goodbye certainly gives a hint as to the author’s intentions of the book and to me it certainly covered a lot of the important aspects of the subject.

This is a contemporary romance in the unusual setting of a residential care home and romance was definitely not the first thing I thought of. Instead my th
Amanda
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Let me just get a tissue!!! I am not into romantic novels but this has melted my granite heart!!

Emma and Michael are having marriage problems mostly caused by him working away during the week and her long hours managing Orchard Care Home.

Simon enters the care home at 40, he is the youngest resident and is physically fit, but has the early onset of Alzheimer’s. Their friendship and flourishing romance was very touching and beautifully written. I did tear up when Simon’s condition deteriorates but
Rebecca
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s clear that this book has been written from the heart. Recommended for lovers of contemporary romance, it’s 4 stars for “A Long Goodbye” and I wish Anthony Le Moignan all the best with this and future novels.

Have a look at my full review on my blog here: https://whatrebeccasread.wordpress.co...
Cleo Bannister
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, own
A Long Goodbye is contemporary romance novel set in the somewhat unusual setting of a care home in Cambridge.

Simon is an accountant, a successful one. He’s sporty with a love of running, not just the taking part but watching other athletes and reading the magazines as well as challenging himself to beat his personal best. He’s funny, good-looking and he has been diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer’s disease. He is just forty years old and faces the challenges ahead with fortitude and a sense of
Neats
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's taken me a while to gather my thoughts on this book and even now after a few weeks this beautiful story is still at the very forefront of my mind.

On the outside Simon has it all. He's a successful accountant, funny, handsome, financially comfortable and he's still only in his forties. But on the inside he's falling apart as he's been diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's. Determined not to become a burden to others he has been busy preparing for his uncertain future and checks himself into
Michelle Morgan
A compelling read.

I have loved reading this book. The characters pull at your heart strings and you feel like you know them for real.
Mystica
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simon is extremely wealthy, a successful accountant and struck down with very early onset Alzheimers. Emma is married in a sort of a stuck in a groove marriage and is the manager of a Care institute. This is her life and she loves her work.

Simons admission to the Institute triggers off emotions that Emma thought were lost to her forever. The fact that despite his recurrent bouts of illness, that Simon reciprocated those feelings in full measure was a miracle for Emma.

The very quick progression o
SHANIA R
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Long Goodbye is a contemporary romantic read. It is beautifully written and was hard to put down. I LOVED this book and read it in one sitting! It's a heartwarming tale, the characters really tug at your heartstrings. A Long Goodbye is one of my favourite 2018 reads and definitely my favourite book on Alzheimer's.
I cannot wait to read Anthony Le Moignan's next book!
Full review will be up on my blog.
Christine,
Emma is in charge of Orchard Home Care, a career of caring which she lives for. Her marriage is falling apart over fertility issues. Mixed up bouquets of flowers with different messages make matters even worse. Meanwhile, enter Simon. At 41-years-old, he is rich, successful, and newly alone with the diagnosis of early-onset Alzheimer’s. He is by far the youngest resident to enter this senior care facility. An active runner and sweet joker, Simon and Emma begin to form an indescribable bond fille ...more
Steph Warren
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I received a free ARC of this book, with thanks to Piers Le Moignan and the author. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

No blurb can really do this book justice!

A Long Goodbye is a deeply emotional exploration of love, loss and caring that left me completely drained, but in a good way.

Le Moignan avoids the trap of introducing too many characters and keeps the focus tightly on a core few (Emma, Simon, Michael), with a handful of peripheral side characters (most notably Julie and M
Judith Baxter
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Darlene Foster, Doran Rule, Beth Anne Chiles

Simon is living a successful life but when he is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s while in his thirties he determines to have some control over his future. He retires as a partner in his accountancy practice, sells his house and moves into an apartment close to Oxford. Some eighteen months after the diagnosis, he decides to move into a care facility for the final years (?) of his life.

He chooses Orchard Care Home, a care facility that has a pool and a gym and plenty of room for him to con
Julie Smith
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Emma, married with no kids, lives, breathes and manages Orchard Care Home; a position her husband, Michael, used to hold in the good old days. But now he’s soared up the company hierarchy she sees so much less of him.

The attraction between car
Lucia
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful, sad and utterly absorbing story! I found myself engrossed from the first sentence and when I finished the book I felt bereft; as if I'd lost someone I'd felt very close to. I am not surprised this story is based on the author's experiences with his father, another Alzheimer's patient. Simon is a wealthy young man who learns he has early onset Alzheimer's and when he reaches the point where he feels he needs to cut off all ties to the outside world and reside in a safe, caring p ...more
Laurie
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Some people do very kind things. Special things that make a whole world of difference to a person or a persons' lives."
What a story! Simon has been diagnosed with early alzheimer's disease at the age of 40. Thinking calmly, he plans his future and moves into a nursing facility. He feels safe and knows the caretakers will become family and help him.
Was he planning on falling in love with the manager of this wonderful, special place? For how long will he know her name? How long will he even remem
Claire Mawdesley
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The sign of a good book is when you try to think of excuses to avoid human contact. Phoning in sick at work, not picking up the phone, cancelling plans..... (I hasten to add that I did none of these, or actually I may have done 1 or 2 - you decide which ones).... I absolutely loved this book. As soon as I saw the synopsis of the book, I knew that this was a book I really wanted to read. I ended up reading it in two sittings, and when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. I thought it was ...more
Carly
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a beautiful love story. This truly was written from the heart. Anthony Le Moignan is on par with Nicholas Sparks.

This story follows Simon, who has early onset Alzheimer’s, how Simon sees things and forgets things brings to light what a cruel disease Alzheimer’s truly is, yet at the same time the story makes you realise you have to live your life to the max !

I could envision all the settings so clearly, it was like I was there in the story.

I loved this book, it’s a story that will sta
jhanami
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picked this up completely by accident. Loved every moment of it. Poignant and beautifully written insight into one of the worst conditions that can befall someone these days, especially when they are only in their forties. Maybe a teensy little contrived at the very end, but all main characters were given a chance to grow and develop, and the plot ticked over nicely, so I didn’t really mind. Now I just wish there was a care home like that when it’s my time!
Lori
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a bittersweet, sad, happy, celebration of life story. One minute you’re happy, the next you’re sad. One minute a character really ticks you off and the next minute you find yourself root8ng for that character. The author does a nice job of character development. My only complaint is the ending seems quite rushed.
Carol Olson
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Joan
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Predictable story but I needed an easy, though sad read after my last book. Would have given better rating if was notpredictable. Characters good.
Sandra