Start by marking “Missing Daughter” as Want to Read:
Missing Daughter

Missing Daughter

Families with nothing to hide don’t have so many secrets

Life can change in an instant. For Ryan and Karen Lane, it happens on the morning they discover their twelve-year-old daughter’s window open, their beloved Maddie missing from her bed.

Police investigate. Suspicions swirl. A teenage boy admits he was outside her bedroom window the night she disappeared. A halfway house
Published February 19th 2019 by MIRA

Helen Power
Synopsis
It starts off just like any other night.  Karen and Ryan come home after date night, pay the babysitter, check on their children, then go to bed.  The following morning, twelve-year-old Maddie is missing.  This novel details the investigation that follows this horrific discovery.  Everyone has their secrets, from Karen and Ryan to Maddie’s friends.  But will the police be able to sift through all the lies and deception and find out whatever really happened to Maddie Lane?

Plot
Missing Da
Shelby
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Karen and Ryan Lane came back to their home in Syracuse, NY after a movie date night. The babysitter, Crystal said all went well with the kids—just a night full of pizza, soda and Jurassic Park. Karen checks on both kids—Tyler, 13, and Maddie, 12—and they’re both fast asleep in their rooms. But the next morning, when they go to wake Maddie for breakfast, she’s nowhere to be found.

Karen and Ryan quickly call the police, desperate to find their little girl. The police, along with the residents of
Philip
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Upon reading the synopsis and seeing the premise for this story my first thought was that this has all been done before in books such as Linwood Barclay’s “Never Look Away” or even Rick Mofina’s own “Whirlwind” but boy was I ever wrong. The only real commonality among these stories is the missing child as this story is a very suspenseful family drama where everybody is hiding secrets from each other and trying to cover up either real or perceived actions while supposedly trying to protect anothe ...more
Donna Hines
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Life can change in the blink of an eye.
Maddie is missing.
The parents are beyond consoling and want to find her immediately unharmed and safe in their arms.
But first, we must go through the actions leading up to this devastating moment and the relationships that surround this family.
Karen her mother has her own set of issues she must address including the fact her 10 yo sis Cassie drowned.
Could this all be related somehow and what about the notion that there was a halfway house for the worst offe
Donna
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received this in the mail over the weekend. Could not put it down. Fast paced with lots of twists. Loved it!
Nina
Mar 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
I hate giving bad reviews to books with under 100 reviews. But the other reviews are all so positive, and I don't know what book they were reading because the book I read was just... not good. There were SO many characters that I kept having to go back and figure out who was talking and when. The writing itself was cohesive, but nothing above average (and I did spot quite a few grammatical errors, though that isn't the author's fault so much as the editor's). The plot was kind of ridiculous, hon ...more
Karen Wales
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.5
A quick read with lots of plot twists and turns and various possible scenarios a few of which don't ring true. On their own? Perhaps. But combined a little too contrived.

Book 2 was where it started to go off track a little in my view. Until then I was quite enjoying the story and the pace.
Ozetta Goodwin
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Twists and turns

I could not put this book down. I read a lot of Rick Mofina books but this one was his best in a while. I highly recommend it if you like mysteries.
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley for the copy of Missing Daughter by Rick Mofina that I read and reviewed.
This book was pretty good if you are into books that are full of police procedure and have some twist and turns that will leave the reader going “Where did that come from”?
Overall, I enjoyed this book even though parts of it were a by the book cop book where it is the fault of the parents and no one else is going to be the bad guy and that kind of got on my my nerves. I thought the book did drag on in ar
Debbie
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery
this was okay - I felt that the ending went on and on with one particular plot that just seemed stupid. What was most interesting about this story was the damage the police/FBI investigation has on the family of the missing girl. I get that in most cases it's another family member who's guilty -but in order to investigate they rip apart all perceptions each family member has about themselves, their place in the family, and their level of responsibilities. To an innocent family - this investigati ...more
Marianne
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was twisty!

I have been reading too many child abduction stories lately and I have to stop! They are just too sad. This felt so real. All the tension, heartbreak and the revealing of skeletons in closets that should have long been buried.

The writing was good, the characters were interesting. There is an element of repetition but it suited the course of the investigation.

There were a lot of twists along the way. I didn’t come close to figuring out that conclusion! This was a bit of a differ
Daphne Cochran
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an early copy of the book.
Another page turning read from author Rick Mofina. It grabs you from the first page and keeps you on the edge of your seat till the end. Lots of twists and turns, red herrings that will keep you guessing. Loved it.
Christine Desrochers-Broderick
Way too many twists and turns. Just felt all jumbled and totally unbelievable .
Teena in Toronto
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian
The Lanes seem like a normal family. Ryan is struggling running his late father's business. Things are tough financially and Ryan is stressed about it. Karen is working extra shifts as a cashier at the grocery store to bring in extra money. Their son, Tyler, is a typical 13-year-old teenager and their daughter, Maddie, is 12 going on 21 ... she wants to start dating, something that her mother has refused to let her do, so they fight often about it.

One morning, the family discovers Maddie is miss
Helen White
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maddison Lane disappears into the night without a trace. As her family and friends come under scrutiny - and buried secrets threaten to resurface - detectives Zubik and Asher race to find her, painfully aware that with every passing hour the chance of finding Maddie alive diminishes.

Missing Daughter is a police procedural filled with twists and turns, and every chapter is action packed. The majority of the novel focuses on the search for Maddie and the investigation into her family as a result.
Jamie Stevens
12 year old Maddie goes missing from her bedroom in the middle of the night unleashing a world of suspicion and hurt on her family. We follow her family as they navigate the aftermath of Maddie’s disappearance while also following the detectives time on the case. Are we dealing with untrustworthy family members here or a sinister outsider? Hard to know.

I expected to like this book more than I did, especially considering that overall the reviews are good. And this is exactly my genre! Unfortunat
Darlene
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Previously published on Peeking Between the Pages (https://www.peekingbetweenthepages.co...)

Book Thoughts

Every parents worst nightmare happens to Ryan and Karen. Their twelve-year-old daughter Maddie goes missing from her bed and they didn’t hear a thing. Everyone is under suspicion including Ryan and Karen. Years and years go by without a trace of Maddie until one day the lives of the Lane family are turned upside down and they struggle to know what is true and what isn’t.

Audio Thoughts

The audi
Kate Vale
If you're looking for a who-dun-it that you can't put down, try this book on for size. Nothing is more heart rending that the disappearance of a child, but what happens to the principals of the Lane family involves far more than Maddie. Both parents and her brother are affected in untold ways and when clues begin to mount up that somehow, some way, Maddie's cousin or uncle may have been involved, things get even more convoluted.

Add to that the work of the investigators and all the dead ends they
Teagan C.
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Missing Daughter is a twisty crime novel. It was good enough for me to power through the 500 odd pages (I didn't even realise it was this long, thanks Kindle!) but I wouldn't say it's greatly gripping. There's a standard pool of suspects that the story (and the detectives) occasionally point fingers at, each of which could be responsible for the disappearance of Maddi. After all, they're all guilty. But what of?

Even though I guessed one portion
April Wilson
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Families can hide many secrets, purposeful or not. The Lane family did and it cost them dearly when their daughter went missing. While I understand the challenging position the detectives are in as they try to uncover the truth, it was difficult to read what they put this family through as they tried to determine if they were innocent or not. As the book slowly revealed what actually happened, I was blown away by the number of unexpected twists and turns. Very well done! I was nowhere c
Kimberly
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review featured at www.books-n-kisses.com

I really enjoy reading Rick Mofina’s books. I have been a fan for a while. I also enjoyed this story as well. The writing was a bit different for Mofina but it was interesting. The book is very long but the read is pretty quick. Some sections go slower than others but mostly it is an easy read.

There are two sections to the book which have a huge time lapse of about 4 years. That was a bit surprising but to be honest I enjoyed the second sections more tha
Amanda T
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. It tells the story of Maddison Lane a 12 year old who disappears from her bedroom with no trace. You start by seeing how the family is affected as well as suspected. No one has any clue what happened to her and if they know they aren't saying. There is a cloud over the family. The first part is mainly the detectives trying to find out what happened. Fast forward to four years later, Maddie is found in Florida after a hurricane and they think all is well. There are a fe ...more
Ellie Rayner
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed this book and I decided to give it 3.75/5 ⭐ because I felt that some of the elements in this book just lacked feeling or they were a bit "stereotypical" if you get my drift. Some things which were happening didn't go to that high emotional place I thought they would but I really appreciated the different plot twists and I really was clueless until the last two chapters. So, frankly the execution of the plot and the development of the story was very good, the characters and or emo ...more
Tina Bailey
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A twisted tale, indeed!

I have bought many of Rick's books and am not ever disappointed. This one took more twists and turns than any rollercoaster! There were a few places that I thought were just not needed as problems because in reality these just don't happen! Ex; all text messages that are on smart phones with plans are stored in the cloud. Everyday we see true crime shows where police read all texts. Anyway, other than a few of these, the story was 👍! Everyday we also see police like these
Pam
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have read all of Mofina's books and look forward to the new one each year. I didn't really want to read this one. I am tired of missing daughters/sisters and abducted children. Mofina usually has several story lines going at once and neatly sews them all together in the end. This book was not written that way. It fell short of what I've come to expect from the author. But I am still waiting on his next one....
Holly Morey
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Rick and Karen's daughter Maddie goes missing one night and of course the family is suspected in her disappearance. The journey begins and there are not many clues. Rick has a temper, Karen has been arguing with 12 year old Maddie and their son Tyler said he heard Maddie talking to someone. Although I somewhat suspected who was guilty there were several surprises and the book was a great romp with clues and distractions. I was glad to see a new book from Mr. Mofina
Kathy V Jernigan
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this may be his best yet

This book is full of the well written twists and turns in the plot that we expect from Mr. Mofina's writing. I would start to think I had it figured out and there would come a twist to where I had to rethink my theory. This happened multiple times and it really adds to the enjoyment of reading. I have loved all of his books that I have read and plan to read all the others soon.
Sharon Gallup
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book was one that I couldn't put down when i started reading it. a twelve year old girl goes missing one night and the police suspect that one of the family was responsible. this book had so many quick turn arounds and just when you thought you knew what and who it twisted to another angle and this keep up all nearly to last few chapters. it was full of suspense and action. it is a must read mystery.
A
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was close to midnight when Ryan and Karen returned home from their dinner and a movie date.Ryans buisness is having trouble and Karen never made it as a nurse as she wanted.instead she works as a grocery store cashier.she checks on the kids sound asleep when they get home.The next morning Maddie,their daughter,is found missing.Everyone close to her is suspected along with strangers.There are a lot of twists and turns and secrets held.I was wrapped up in the story and what happened to Maddie.
Nancy
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read stories about missing children but decided on this one. What an impressive story of not only the missing daughter but the rest of the family. Then there are those who showed the slightest chance of being involved in Maddie's abduction. This kind of thing has ramifications that last for the whole family. It is a story that maybe a teenager should read also to understand the reason mom and dad say 'no' to their wants when they are too young to understand.

• I'll Be Watching You
  • The Perfect Plan
  • Keep You Close
  • Stolen Things
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • Soon the Light Will Be Perfect
  • One Summer in Paris
  • The Cutting Room (Carver and Lake, #2)
  • The View from Alameda Island
  • The Passengers
  • African Samurai: The True Story of a Legendary Black Warrior in Feudal Japan
  • Raze (Riven, #3)
  • Spring (The Haunted Heart, #2)
  • The Alvares Bride (The Barons, #6)
  • Dark Water Rising
  • Dear Wife
  • The Evidence Against You
  • Perfect Sins (Gabriel Ash and Hazel Best, #2)
Rick Mofina is a former journalist who has interviewed murderers on death row in Montana and Texas, flown over L.A. with the LAPD and patrolled with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police near the Arctic. He's also reported from the Caribbean, Africa and Kuwait's border with Iraq. His true-crime freelance work has appeared in The New York Times, The Telegraph (London, U.K.), Reader’s Digest, Penthouse, ...more