Start by marking “House of Salt and Sorrows” as Want to Read:
House of Salt and Sorrows

House of Salt and Sorrows

(Of Salt and Sorrows #1)

Get swept away in Erin A. Craig's mesmerizing House of Salt and Sorrows. As one by one her beautiful sisters mysteriously die on their isolated island estate, Annaleigh must unravel the curse that haunts her family. Be careful who you dance with. . . .

In a manor by the sea, twelve sisters are cursed.

Annaleigh lives a sheltered life at Highmoor, a manor by the sea, with her
Expected publication: August 6th 2019 by Delacorte

Sheharzad ⚘
The Twelve Dancing Princesses is one of my FAVOURITE fairytales and I simply ADORED Crimson Peak. This book puts them together with a dash of mystery + death and hello hi I'm not okay?? Like at all???

Publication is planned for fall 2019. W H A T
Candace Robinson
Jan 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
ARC received via publisher!
Nadhira Satria
Jan 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
DID SOMEONE SAY "TWELVE DANCING PRINCESSES?"
Ashlee » Library In The Country
I GOT AN ARC! Inspired by Twelve Dancing Princesses with some serious Crimson Peak and Agatha Christie vibes!? YASSSS.
megs_bookrack
I feel as a woman who lives on a remote island, 30-miles out to sea, I am obligated to read this book.

ARC received and I couldn't be happier!

Plus, as I have confessed many times, retellings are my jam. I am trash for retellings.

Katie Zhao
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This. Book. Oh man, where do I start? Erin's mesmerizingly atmospheric writing pulled me in from page one, and didn't let me go as I raced through a heart-pumping plot and through that twist of an ending! I found myself guessing (wrong) at every turn, and couldn't get enough of this book. HOUSE OF SALT AND SORROWS is a fast-paced thriller fit for fans of horror and mystery as well as the fantastical. It's an incredible debut novel that's sure to make a splash in 2019. I'm so excited for this boo ...more
Peter
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can’t remember being more excited for a debut novel. I had the super-honor to read the first several chapters of an early draft of this one and it blew me away. Erin Craig is a phenomenal talent and one to watch very closely in the coming years (she’s already on my Permanent Preorder list). She has such a gorgeous narrative style—incredibly elegant but always relatable. She takes you by the hand and guides you through new worlds, filled with adventure, romance, danger, hope, and magic. Can’t wai ...more
Hannah F. Whitten
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is haunting, heartbreaking, and has some of the coolest mythology I’ve ever read. The relationship between Annaleigh and her sisters is written with incredible nuance. The descriptions are lush, the atmosphere creepy, and you’ll want to sleep with the lights on. Perfect for anyone who grew up on ghost stories.
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
Jan 05, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
What's with the weird title trend?
I.E. A (noun) of (noun) and (noun).
Destiny Murtaugh
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy mother of salt. This book was hauntingly beautiful. The prose was so decadent and alluring and absolutely breathtaking. The world was so well developed and incredibly atmospheric. I laughed. I sobbed. I grinned like a fool. This is an absolutely iconic debut and I can’t wait to read more books from Erin! Absolutely loved it.
Jessica Bibi
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"THE TWELVE DANCING PRINCESSES meets CRIMSON PEAK"

Now, if anyone has been in my presence for 5 minutes, they will know how much I love and adore Crimson Peak, so when I saw the comps for this book (way, WAY back when it was a pitdark tweet pitch!) I knew my eyeballs needed to read it immediately.

And sooooo I was lucky enough to read this early and OH MY GOSH, let me tell you, this book DELIVERED on the Crimson Peak-esque chills and stunning beauty, whilst being totally original and unique. This
Jessica Rubinkowski
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really adored this book. It was beautifully paced, mystery and horror elements wonderfully interlaced, and the sister love! As the eldest sister of a group of girls, it always does my heart good to see realistic sibling relationships between girls, especially ones that have lots of love and respect. This was a fresh take on fairytale retelling a that pays homage to the source material without following directly in its footsteps. Definitely a must read for any horror mystery fans!
Kelly Powell
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading this early! HOUSE OF SALT AND SORROWS is lovely, haunting, and wonderfully creepy. The atmosphere is both eerie and enchanting; the mystery is so compelling I was completely hooked. I can't wait to see it on shelves, it's the perfect book to read by candlelight.
Shelby Mahurin
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like gothic mysteries • ghosts • lighthouses • fairy shoes • sisterly love • unreliable narrators • salty tombs • and a hint of horror in your YA fantasies, DO NOT MISS THIS ONE.

This story follows Annaleigh, one of twelve sisters who live in a spooky mansion called Highmoor. As the daughter of a duke, Annaleigh should live a life of aristocratic bliss, surrounded by suitors and balls and luxury--except her sisters keep mysteriously dying. Ava contracted a gruesome plague. Octavia fell fro
Kristin
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK!!!!! My expectations were sky high for Erin Craig’s debut, (Twelve Dancing Princesses meets Crimson Peak … um, yes please!) and they were exceeded in every way.

The hallways of Highmoor, a manor by the sea, echo with the midnight rustle of gowns and the footsteps of the dead. Annaleigh Thaumas has already buried four of her sisters and local villagers wait to see which of the remaining eight sisters will be next. The family has been in mourning for years, and rumors of a “Thaumas Curse”
Sami
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An eerie and gothic twist on Twelve Dancing Princesses with vengeful gods, haunting nightmares, and sweeping romance, House of Salt and Sorrows is the kind of masterful debut that authors dream of. Craig's descriptive writing is so strong that you can feel the silk of the shoes, smell the salty brine of the ocean, and hear the creaking of the manor. Unforgettable and captivating until the very last page.
Hannah Capin
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i had the privilege of reading an early copy of HOUSE AND SALT AND SORROWS. erin craig's debut is dark and enchanting, with beautiful prose and a rich and imaginative world. i read most of this novel in one stretch--the twisting, unpredictable plot and engaging characters made it a challenge to put down. perfect for YA fantasy readers who love victorian and gothic settings, but also a great read for contemporary and crossover readers looking to read beyond their usual genre preferences. i look f ...more
Joelene Weeks
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful surprise this was! I admit I was originally drawn to House of Salt Sorrows by that gorgeous cover, but when I saw it was a retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses I knew I had to read it. And let me tell ya, it blew my expectations out of the water!

Erin Craig did such a wonderful job of adding a unique spin on an old tale and making it her own. I particularly loved the mythology she created and how it anchors the story without overwhelming the reader with unnecessary details. Th
Nicole Fegan
Kate Costello
Oct 19, 2018
James Brandon
Jul 03, 2018
Erin A. Craig has always loved telling stories.

After getting her B.F.A. from the University of Michigan, in Theatre Design and Production, she stage managed tragic operas with hunchbacks, séances, and murderous clowns, then decided she wanted to write books that were just as spooky.

An avid reader, a decent quilter, rabid basketball fan, and collector of typewriters, Erin makes her home in Memphis,