Start by marking “Cursed” as Want to Read:
Cursed

Cursed

Soon to be a Netflix original series!

The Lady of the Lake is the true hero in this cinematic twist on the tale of King Arthur created by Thomas Wheeler and legendary artist, producer, and director Frank Miller (300, Batman: The Dark Night Returns, Sin City). Featuring 8 full color and 30 black-and-white pieces of original artwork by Frank Miller.

Whosoever wields the Sword
Published October 1st 2019 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Cursed, please sign up.
Readbygio In the illustrations is black and strong but in the story she is blond, and very thin, and in Netlix is brunette, I`m confused :)
Jenna In my opinion, no. There were many very detailed death scenes that totally disturbed me. Lots of blood, burning, breaking bones, crucifying, harsh lan…moreIn my opinion, no. There were many very detailed death scenes that totally disturbed me. Lots of blood, burning, breaking bones, crucifying, harsh language at times, etc. My face while reading this book was set in a grimace through every fight scene.(less)

Start your review of Cursed
Samantha
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel like I’m this book’s exasperated mother: “I’m not mad, just disappointed.”

For a long time, we didn’t see a lot of Arthurian retellings and spinoffs. Now suddenly there are quite a few and unfortunately, they are all similar and all pretty bad.

Though this particular offshoot had its moments, it’s largely disappointing.

The basic plot isn’t really a problem. It’s a good idea and a semi-creative spin on the original legend. Unfortunately much of the detail and storytelling style is derivati
Shannan
May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I got an ARC of this at a conference and was excited, because Frank Miller was collaborating with an author, and it was already optioned for a Netflix series. Turns out, the author is in fact a screenwriter. This was a planned multimedia project, essentially, and it reads like one. There's zero interest in keeping with any kind of historical period between names, technologies, forms of dress...and the person who gave it to me at the publisher's booth called it a genderbent Arthur story. More acc ...more
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Book – Cursed
Author – Thomas Wheeler
Series – N/A
Cliffhanger? - No
Publication Date – October 1, 2019
Genre – YA Fantasy
Rating – 3.5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary copy generously provided by the author through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story
I was totally wrong with what I was expecting when I requested this book. I thought it was going to be a retelling of Arthur being a girl, instead it is a story through Nimue’s POV. This was not what I was expecting but I kept an o
Mei
Jun 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: literally nobody, unless you just love bad books
Cursed is an overloaded, bloated mess that promises a unique spin on classic Arthurian legends, but does nothing to fulfill those promises, is bursting at the seams with unnecessary garbage, and completely betrays nearly all of its source material to an unforgivable degree. (I apologize in advance for the copious amounts of capitalization in this review I also ran out of characters at the end... how sad)

I cannot express how DISAPPOINTED I am with this book. I feel so mean saying that, but I know
BookNightOwl
Had a hard time getting into this story. I found it slow and not exciting. I couldn't connect to the main character and had a hard time staying focus on what was going on.
J.M.
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t get people rating this book two stars and saying it’s a mess and ”tropey.” I had a lot of fun with Cursed—it's impossible to avoid tropes anyhow. One of my all-time beloved authors is David Gemmell, and this book made me nostalgic for his work. I feel like some of the reviewers marking it low missed something. The development arcs for the characters were terrific. The narrative had a bit of Gemmell and a bit of Bernard Cornwell (not as good as those guys, but certainly reminiscent) what ...more
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
DNF at 41%

Cursed wasn't a terrible book, but I never felt compelled to pick it up. I kept choosing to read other books instead, which is why I wasn't able to finish this one before its release date. The characters were flat and uninteresting, and I wasn't able to connect with them or their individual stories. Merlin is a drunk. A manipulative, ridiculous drunk that didn't contribute much to the story. Arthur can't decide if he wants to be dependable or flaky, and Nimue was a very one-dimensional
Layla
Sep 04, 2020 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 17%
I tried to push myself through this but I just can't. I don't want to get another reading slump. I'm just not clicking with the story, the characters, or the pace of this book. I do hate DNFing books, so I'll probably give it another chance down the road, but as of right now, I'm setting it aside.
Alaina
The narrator though <3<3<3

Cursed definitely had it's ups and downs but overall, it was interesting enough to hold my attention. The pacing in the beginning does start off a bit slow.. but then the book weaves in and out of random pacing throughout the entire book. Not going to lie, I mostly wanted to dive into this because it's becoming a Netflix show! So yeah, I was excited for that part.. I just wish the overall book was on the same pace and a bit more exciting at times.

In it, you will meet Ni
Athena Archeron
"Born in the dawn, to pass in the twilight."

I really wanted to like this book. After really enjoying the Netflix series, I was expecting a certain amount of greatness from this story, which was not what I got. The book moved too fast, and the authors didn't spend enough time creating and developing the characters. The relationships that formed in the show were also created in the book, but seemed more thrown together by plot necessity rather than actual chemistry. The world wasn't fully explored
Jessica
It's like if you took the Arthur legend and put it in a blender, and I mean that as a compliment. The names are there, the characters are there, but not the way you expect them to be. I really loved the Weeping Monk and the Red Paladins (and by loved I mean, AAAAAH! YOU'RE SO HORRIBLE!) I loved Nimue and her relationship with Arthur, and the Fey Folk. What a rich and strange type of magic!

I had a hard time, though, with the illustrations. The color ones were gorgeous, and did enhance the story,
Emilie
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book.
As a huge fan of Arthurian lore and legend I was very excited to read this book. It was a "fresh" take on the story from the point of view of Nimue. She has always been treated as an outcast in her tribe, despite the fact that her mother was the leader of their Druid village. One day after trying to make her escape, Nimue is faced with the massacre of her village, the death of her mother, the discovery of an ancient magical sword, and the meeting of a young man nam
AziaMinor
Overall Rating : B

I feel like u would have liked it more if it was a graphic novel. A great retelling/reimagining of the Arthurian legend although that ending made me want to hurl it across the room.
Dianne
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
My Rating: 2.5 Stars
Can you ever have too many Arthurian retellings? The magic, the characters, the intrigue, all with a different spin, which is what Thomas Wheeler has done with his own sense of flare and creative license.

CURSED has the plot, the bones and some pretty original thoughts, but something was just off for me, maybe that special spark that fantasy brings to a story. Expect to see characters in a completely different light, some positive, some, not so much. Told through Nimue’s point
Carrie
I have to go with 3 stars, but here's the thing to me it's not 3 stars but it's not 4 stars. If goodreads would smarten up and give us half stars. I would feel closer to where this book lays. Because 3 isn't right and 4 is being generous.

Emily
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 2019, arc
I read the first hundred pages before I gave up. At first glance, this seems like a strong female protagonist book, but it's more like "wreckless protagonist sometimes accidentally does the right thing" book. There will be demand for this book, and I know who I will recommend it to, but unfortunately it's not for me.
Eleanor
3.5/5 stars

Didn't realize it took me almost an entire month to finish this book... oh well😅

there may be spoilers

I have a few thoughts concerning the characters.

Nimue didn’t really stand out to me. Most of the times it felt like she was too reckless. She didn’t listen to anybody ‘cause she thought she was the only one who knew what to do.
Also, the typical dialogue where people tell her she’s ‘the chosen one’, the only one who can save the day and she’s like: ‘no I’m not, I don’t want this, find
Jessica C Writes
Jun 18, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF’ing at 30%. I’m just so lost by this book, it’s not catching my attention at all, and I’m quite honestly just bored.
Madi
Jul 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
this was just fucking bad.
Marcy Kennedy
Nov 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF'd at 20%. Life is too short and filled with too many better books.

I don't normally rate books I don't finish, but this book was so bad on so many levels. I'm not going to go over everything I had a problem with in this book because it would take too long. Here are the "high" points.

(1) The writing was choppy, flat, and clumsy--even the dialogue. This author is a screenwriter so I assumed his dialogue would be amazing at the very least. It wasn't. The writing was unpleasant to read.

(2) The ma
Juli
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ok....who else gravitates to books/graphic novels that have that lovely sticker "Soon to be a Netflix Original Series'' or "Now a Major Motion picture"? I know I do!

While I hate the darn sticker on the front cover of my book (Geez....wrap them in plastic and put that darn tag on the plastic so you aren't marking up my book!!' And DON'T make it a perma-part of the cover art....I don't want an ad displayed on the front cover of a book I paid for! Mini rant over.) I come running every time I see th
Lis Carey
I tried to like this book. I really did.

It's an Arthurian story in which Things Are Different, and the Sword that empowers the True King has gone to Nimue--designating, instead, a True Queen.

I ought to love this.

There are a whole range of Fey peoples, of different types and features and magic. Nimue is one of them.

I ought to love this.

Nimue and Morgan and others are interesting characters.

I ought to love this.

Unfortunately, the bad guy characters are stereotypically, cartoonishly evil. It render
Brittany ☾
I'll start by saying I believe this will be an absolutely amazing Netflix adaptation. The characters are interesting, and the plot is engaging. Overall, it's an enjoyable spin on of the round table stories we all know and love.

Nimue is an incredibly strong, and likable female lead. Her unlikely claim to the sword is a welcome twist to the old tale of Excalibur. Unfortunately, the description and back story of some of the supporting characters are not as fleshed out.

I believe Cursed will be stren
Lauren Stoolfire
As a fan of anything Arthurian I was really looking forward to this retelling from Nimue's perspective. Unfortunately, it never quite hit the mark for me. I found myself caring less and less for most of the main cast as it went along although some of the secondary and minor characters were intriguing. Overall, the story also was quite tropey and so much of what's meant to be fresh and unique isn't really. Plus, the art didn't work for me at all and usually I loke Miller's stuff so that was anoth ...more
✨ kathryn ✨
Sep 29, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, fantasy
DNF @ 52%.
Not a good book, quite frankly. I was expecting far better.
trufflebooks
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: july-reads, 2020, 4-star
4/5 🌟 Review Link HERE..

Off to watch the TV Adaptation on Netflix! Thanks, Penguin Teen Australia for the review copy.
Katey Moore
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, fantasy
This book took me BACK to my fantasy nerd self. I loved this retelling and it was the perfect fantasy book to bring me into the fall reading season.

I loved the characters and the light illustrations found within this copy. I am VERY excited to watch the Netflix adaptation.

Read this on a dock with a cup of warm mead.
Kasey Giard
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Arthurian story with female lead? Yes, please. I love the description of this book. CURSED is really different than the original story of Arthur and Merlin. I like a lot of the ways the characters and story are reimagined, though.

Merlin is this flawed man who’s hundreds of years old, thanks in part to his magic. Arthur hasn’t really become the hero yet, but you see glimpses of his potential through the story. And then there are all of these really fascinating minor characters in the story, to
Clockwork bibliophile
Thank you Netgalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for sending me a complimentary arc of this book.

2.5 stars.
When I saw the blurb of this book, I was so excited to read it. But the whole potential of this book was wasted because of the writing style. This book was written with the sole purpose of being adapted to a Netflix show and the writer is a screenwriter. You can clearly see that when you are reading the book. It felt like I was reading a script. There was no depth in writing or the characte
Bliss Garza
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a great read. Now, I'm not a good reviewer.. not much experience in reviewing,, just reading. But .. this was a book out of my usual reading material. It was wonderful adventure and great characters... Can absolutely see another book coming after this.. just has to be a series.
P.S. sorry for my horrible review skill... I am not sure how to properly write one.
Challenge Corner: Cursed by Thomas Wheeler -> Starting on March 13th, 2020 11 7 Mar 27, 2020 04:53PM

• Ivory Apples
  • La ruta de las abejas (El país de la niebla, #1)
  • Whitefeather (Legende der Schwingen, #1)
  • A Midnight Clear
  • The Star Shepherd
  • In Five Years
  • Sick Kids in Love
  • A Year Without a Name: A Memoir
  • Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
  • Allies
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • The Minor Third (The Magic Misfits, #3)
  • Forgotten (House of Night Other World, #3)
  • Elbendunkel - Kein Weg zurück
  • Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga, #1)
Thomas Wheeler sold his first screenplay at age twenty-two, to Twentieth Century Fox. He has continued to work on major Hollywood features for the last several years. Wheeler lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Christina, and his son, Luca. The Arcanum is his first novel.