Start by marking “Father Figure” as Want to Read:
Father Figure

Father Figure

Between the fast-paced New York City, a rural Mississippi town, and a charming Pennsylvania college campus filled with secrets, two young girls learn the consequences of growing up too quickly. Struggling to survive in a claustrophobic, unforgiving world, they embark on a journey to overcome all the pain, disappointment, and horror of their experiences.

Amalia Graeme, abuse
Published April 2nd 2018 by Creativia

To ask other readers questions about Father Figure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Father Figure

James
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
* Since this is my own book, I'm not really going to write a review. I'm using this space to let everyone know when there are discounts or giveaway options. You have the option to buy an electronic or physical print format of the book. *

** To order, please go to Amazon. **

*** The book tour finished up in mid-2018... 25 book reviews covering all angles. I'm very excited and thankful to everyone for their effort and time. It was amazing! To see more about the recent book blitz, blog reviews, blog
Debra
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I read this book in less than 24 hours- that only happens when a book sucks me in and doesn't let go! Father Figure is beautifully told in alternating timelines telling the stories of two young woman living in two different worlds. One who grew up in rural Mississippi in 1984 and the other young woman who lives in New York City in 2004. With most alternating timelines, the reader knows that eventually the timelines are going to merge - but how and why - that is the journey that this boo
Dash fan
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4☆ A Gripping Tale

Father Figure is a poignant and gripping read that draws you in.
With the story told between alternative narratives each story is beautifully written, two very different young women, with years between them their paths eventually entwine.

We meet Amelia (The past 1984), my heart broke for her.
Her arrogant abusive mother beats and verbally abuses Amelia at every given opportunity. Branding her a whore!

Her Father a former preacher now runs his own shop, tries his hardest to soften
Elyse Walters
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I love James first book -- "Watching Glass Shatter". Its fantastic!!! Highly recommend it!!!!

I didn't love "Father Figures". The writing annoyed me. I'm soooo sorry. I 'love' James as a person!!

Many themes: adolescence changes, challenges and choices, aggressive behaviors, abuse, physical, behavioral, and sexual changes, educational challenges, social and relationship issues, family secrets and dysfunctions, dealings with knowing when and how to get help, and a fixation to discover who 'father
Berit☀️✨
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Complicated Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟

A character driven domestic thriller with a splash of mystery... I really enjoy books told in this style from alternating points of view and time periods.... and even better it was done seamlessly in this book...

Two girls, 20 years apart, one living in Mississippi and the other in New York... I found both these girls lives equally compelling... and I enjoyed trying to figure out what tide these two stories together...

Amelia lives in Mississippi with her overly protective
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
The author has kindly given a copy of his book but it had no influence whatsoever on my willing and always honest review.

5 “brilliant scheming” stars

For those who follow me you must realize Father Figure is not my usual read. My favorite genre for some years now has been romance in all its variation be it YA or Adult, contemporary, fantasy, PNR….

Father Figure is many things but clearly not a romance. Yet I found it brilliant.
Father Figure is a mix between family drama/saga, suspense and diabolic
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
Wow, what a read!!! I knew Jay was a hell of a writer but this one really had me up all night and knew how to hit me with all the right feels to continue reading even though I cried like a baby during some scenes. I have to be honest that there is two things that triggered slightly but they were brief things but felt I needed to bring up there is a quick scene where an animal is hurt and their is some abuse that happened to one of the main characters but even though I had a little bit of anxiety ...more
Meher Gandhi
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Contemporary fiction, family drama
My rating: 4.75/5 stars

**I am thankful to the author James J. Cudney for sending me this book as a review copy. This does not at all hinder my honest opinions regarding the book. This is a spoiler-free review and for more reviews, you can follow my blog. All opinions are solely mine.

I absolutely LOVED reading Father Figure by James J. Cudney. It was such a roller coaster ride. I could feel the words coming out to express the emotions the characters were g
Shalini
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Author James J Cudney IV has done it again with his second book Father Figure. His debut Watching Glass Shatter was a great family saga, and I wondered if he could re-create the magic with his words. But this time, he has surpassed his own debut.

The story follows the lives of two women Amalia in Mississippi in 1984 and Brianna in New York in 2004. Amalia is abused by her mother on a daily basis, yet she finds her happiness in her father's love and her escape in Pennsylvania College campus. Life
Brian Porter
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
James J Cudney has written a highly emotive book, involving the lives and loves of two women, one of whom Amalia is going through her adolescence in small town America in 1984, suffering daily abuse at the hands of her truly terrible mother, the other, Brianna, is going through similar experiences in New York in 2004, with an added complication. Brianna has never known her father and her mother, Molly has never opened up to her about who or what her father was. Brianna's quest to discover the tr ...more
Candace Robinson
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been seeing both of Cudney's books floating around on Goodreads in my feed for a while now, and I have been wanting to read both of them. I decided to start with his latest one, Father Figure, and I wasn't sure what was going to go down in it. But boy, this book was a twisty, emotional, and awesome adventure!

Let me start by saying I loved the alternating perspectives between 1984 and 2004. First, I love the 80's and second I was 19 in 2004 and loved that year! This story is  very character
Martie Nees Record
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Publisher: Creativia Publishing House
Pub. Date: April 2, 2018

Picture a story that cuts between two teenage girls living in very different places and times, without explaining their relationship to the reader. This is just the puzzle that the author, James J. Cudney, goes for and solves. One heroine lives in the Deep South, in a shoddy town in Mississippi. She grows up with an abusive mother, that I promise you will hate. The other girl lives in hip NYC, the Big Apple.
Jill McGill
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to Come!
Darinda
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A story about two teenage girls. For Amalia, it's the mid-1980s, and she's desperate to leave her small town in Mississippi. For Brianna, it's 2004 and she's ready to leave New York City to to go off to college on her own.

Told with alternating points of view and alternating timelines. As with most books involving alternating timelines, part of the draw is seeing how the stories are connected. Both characters are similar in that they are teenagers wanting to be on their own and away from home. T
Julia Walker
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a coming of age story about Brianna who at the beginning of the story is in high school trying to decide where to go to college. Her best friend is in love with her, she has no idea who her father is and her mother will not tell her a single thing about her past much less the identity of her father. Brianna has a very hard time making decisions because for her not knowing who her father is leaves her incomplete. There are lots of twists and turns, it is a quick read and the story flows w ...more
Nisa
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like the stories that show us what will happen close to end of the story and I like to guess when it will happen, what was actually happened at that time and whom it was about. I tried to guess for this story too but I wasn't right about it, to be honest, I can't guess right for this kind of stories but I will get close enough to the right answer :))

About the story, we have two main characters, Rebecca and Amalia. If you pay attention to the chapters' names (I didn't at the beginning:))
Paul E. Morph
'Father Figure' by James J. Cudney is a dark tale with many twists and turns that will keep the reader guessing throughout.

I've only given it three stars (which is still 'I liked it' on my scale; too many people see a three star rating as a bad review) because I felt the writing was occasionally a bit stilted and forced, particularly the dialogue. Maybe it's because I live nowhere near the author but I don't know anybody who speaks so deliberately, if you know what I mean.

This issue aside, this
Dianne
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
James J. Cudney has nailed emotional turmoil with FATHER FIGURE as he details the lives of two girls born twenty years apart, each forced to face the ugly side of life head on far too soon.

In a stroke of brilliance, adding to the blade-sharp tension, Mr. Cudney alternates timelines and points of view between Amalia Graeme’s life and the contemporary life of Brianna Porter. At first blush, the glue that binds them is their discontent with their lives, their search to belong somewhere and their ne
Cass ☘
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are writers, there are authors and there are storytellers. A man I’m proud to call friend wrote “Father Figure” and I asked him if I could read and review his second novel. This can be an uneasy task for both him and me, I imagine, because I don’t know if I will like it and neither does he. There can be no friendship without honesty, though. I’m too old for “white lies” and believe that would actually be a disservice to both of us and a disrespect to our friendship.

Father Figure is a based
Claire
This review originally appeared on BrizzleLass Books.

The name James J. Cudney comes with an assurance of quality, emotional turmoil, romance and suspense all things we learned from his debut novel Watching Glass Shatter. Delving between the pages of his second novel Father Figure all of this things are thrown your way in droves leaving you yet again deeply heartbroken, in love, shocked, and fighting for your favourite characters.

Meet Amalia. The quiet small town girl living a life of parental ab
Candace
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-5-star
Amalia and Brianna

Amalia Graeme is an abused teenager who can't wait to leave her home town of Brant, Mississippi, in 1984. Her mother, Janet, both verbally and physically abuses her. Her father, Peter, tries to let Amalia do things behind her mother's back. Amalia is proud to be a daddy's girl. Her father is her hero. Still, Amalia feels she must escape Brant before she is trapped there forever.

Bianna Porter is searching for her identity. In 2004, she lives in New York City with her mother, Mol
Sharyl
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Thank you, James Cudney, for sharing your novel with us! I enjoyed your work this weekend, and am grateful for your generosity. Before I started reading, I did not read the summary or any reviews. I was surprised to find this an interesting blend of mystery, romance, and coming of age story...

Father Figure is a true page turner, and the deft pacing kept me turning pages until I'd arrived at the end of this long novel. It is set up cleverly, with the narrative bouncing back and forth both in time
Robyn
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are two seperate stories, spanning twenty years, that take place in FATHER FIGURE. We are first transported back to 1984, in a small Mississipi town, where we meet Amalia Graeme. Amalia is a sweet and innocent young girl that does not have the best home life. Her mother mentally and physically abuses her, her father doesn’t stand up for her, and she has no friends in which to confide in. Amalia is very lonely. She loves her father dearly, but she also knows that her mother rules the home. ...more
Lisa M Berman
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Combine the following ingredients - Two Girls, A College Campus, A Difficult Mother, An Unknown Father, Desires, Insecurities.

Shake it up and the result is a Literary Cocktail with strong flavors of Anticipation, Shock, Pleasure, Disappointment, Love and More. A must read to savor it all !

Author James J. Cudney has another winner. A compelling story that will engage all your emotions !
TatteredGreen
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I lucked out and got to read an advance copy of this book.

This book is extremely well written and the plot line is such that I had a difficult time putting it down.

The author is a genius at developing complex characters and weaving story lines involving each character and wrapping the whole thing up in a tidy bow.

I choose not to give details about this book. It is a winner and I highly recommend this book.

Note on the author. He wrote a book called Watching Glass Shatter and I know of a local boo
Cammie Adams
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
James J. Cudney's Father Figure follows the journey of two young women on their way to adulthood. One desperate for escape and one desperate to connect, both longing for a lost father figure.

As the two worlds collide, the mystery is unraveled paving the way for much-needed healing and intriguing opportunities for both.

Driving home the impact of teenage angst and uncertainty, the author has packed an emotional ride into this read.

Heartwarming young love, evolving friendship, heart wrenching losse
Benedict Stuart
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Family, parents and other issues!

An emotional and dramatic life journey of two quite different girls with family issues. A heartfelt story of suspense, adventure and hard lessons. Good style, well developed and realistic characters.
Deborah
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, e-books
Not sure what I did but I had reviewed this book and somehow deleted the review when I tried adding an additional comment. In any event I am looking forward to more books from this writer as I feel he has many stories to share.

The author's first book left me anxious for more, and I was not disappointed. The plot was intricate, and I hated putting it down because I kept wanting to see where it would lead. I loved the way the story came together and am now waiting for the next book.
K.L. Loveley
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read his first novel 'Watching Glass Shatter' I was excited to read 'Father Figure' and I was not disappointed.
Amalia Graeme was abused and treated cruelly by her mother. By all accounts, Amalia was ignorant of the facts of life and of relationships. She was naïve. Her father feebly tried to make up for the cruelty of his wife, who only showed love for her son. I was annoyed with her father who was aware of the abuse both physical and mental; he was pathetic and weak. It is through her o
Yesha
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

Father Figure was dramatic, suspenseful contemporary fiction telling the story of Amalia and Brianna with lots of twist and turns. It was about coming of age, complex relationships and secrets, and uncovering the mystery of past.

characters

Amalia’s life was difficult at Graeme family home with her abusive mother who unleashed hell whenever she saw Amalia around and tongue tied father who loved and adored his daughter but never dared to
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James is my given name; most call me Jay. I grew up on Long Island and currently live in New York City, but I've traveled all across the US (and various parts of the world). After college, I spent 15 years working in technology and business operations in the sports, entertainment and media industries. Although I enjoyed my job, I left in 2016 to focus on my passion: telling stories and connecting ...more