Start by marking “Hellhound” as Want to Read:
Hellhound

Hellhound

The Hound & The Philosopher Inn looks like your average pub, with only its mouthful of a name to separate it from any other. But, secrets lurk just beyond the ales, wines, spirits and bar snacks. Deadly secrets.

Kit pops into the pub following a dismal experience at a job interview. Christine visits the same pub whilst waiting for a cab. Both of their lives will be changed
Paperback, 1, 418 pages
Published April 19th 2018 by Lou Yardley

To ask other readers questions about Hellhound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellhound

Start your review of Hellhound
Leanne Blakey-Novis
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazbeballs!
Yardley gives the werewolf genre a new meaning. With plenty of gore and sarcasm, this book is a must read! 🐺
James Corprew
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book and a wonderful addition to any collector of werewolf lit and lore.

Hellhound is a refreshing take on the werewolf genre, completely original, and exceptionally well written and engaging.
Cindy Smith
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a story! A pub with a sinister side business! Lots of unexpected twists in this tale of werewolves. I love the unique approach to how they are created. The characters are all well developed and the backstories add so much to the plot! Great Horror!
Bruce Blanchard
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hellhound is one of those novels that is only described by the writing itself and the story as it unfolds. Starting off with a simple encounter at the Hound and Philosopher Inn. A man named Kit whose lie is going south faster than he cares and looking for a job enters the pub. Getting el stinko drunk and collapsing on the floor. The Barman takes care of him. Witnessing this is Christine following up on his health. Both of them are in the deadly of the owners, werewolves. The story expands from t ...more
Benjamin Langley
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've not read much werewolf fiction, so I don't have a great deal of basis for comparison, but for me this was a very effective story with a great opening, and an action packed finish, but it does get a touch stodgy in the middle.
I really enjoyed all of the lore that goes with this story. It doesn't use the traditional trope of the werewolf bite, and it develops the means of death too. It was a pleasant surprise that the novel moved away from the cliches.
There are rather a lot of point-of-view
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's plenty of gore in this fast-paced action thriller, but it never quite crossed the line to where I was uncomfortable - it went close a couple of times, but the grue was well controlled.
Top marks for relatable characters - even the bad guys - and for a really original take on the popular werewolf trope.
Nowadays it is practically de rigeur to make the monster a hero, so I found it refreshing to see werewolves portrayed in the traditional way - as a scourge, a plague, and most definitely e
Marianne Reese
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A well thought out werewolf story that takes you from the present to the history of their past and back again. An imaginative and different spin on the creation and demise of werewolves weaved into a semi-fast paced plot full of discovery, deceit, and power.

It will give those down on their luck something to reconsider when entering an unfamiliar pub to drink away their sorrows.
Brigitte Bobay
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this fast passed werewolf story. It’s gory, entertaining, and the characters are fully fleshed out.
Clare Hunter
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this werewolf story, which had a good pace, lots of gory detail and interesting characters. I couldn't put it down, and hope there's more to follow!
P.J. Blakey-Novis
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hellhound is a fantastic werewolf story, with interesting and believable characters. It is written well, and fast paced, with just the right levels of mystery and gore. Highly recommended.
Jana
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,5🌟
I really enjoyed this. Definitely the best Lou Yardley I've read so far.
Melissa
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome non-traditional take on the werewolf. Fun and easy to read. Highly recommended!
Matt (TeamRedmon)
An original and fun werewolf story that I enjoyed from beginning to end. Highly recommend.
Luke Hayhurst
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british-horror
I'm a big horror fan but not usually werewolf stories. However 'Hellhound' is a must read, utterly captivating and gives a unique and quirky twist on this ancient horror trope.
Daniel
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A well written gem shining bright in the werewolf genre. Just as surely as medieval torture devices brings pain the author brings life to a twisted genuine tale, highly recommended.
A. Hunt
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hellhound, by Lou Yardley, is not like your usual werewolf tale. There's a a sort of chaotic organization that reminded me of the Underworld movie series. Except this book carried a theme that made you remember monsters aren't restricted to the night time. Hellhound carried a backstory that brought you into the current situation, providing all the information you needed to know!

This story isn't about one person and their trials to the end. It's about a huge conspiracy amongst the werewolves. You
Anime Dude
Jan 20, 2019
Gareth
Jul 02, 2019
Linda
Nov 25, 2018
Lou
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kris

• The Only Good Indians
  • Misfits
  • Meathead
  • Frozen In Ice
  • Chasing Graves (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #1)
  • Clown in a Cornfield
  • Recall Night
  • Hack/Slash Omnibus Volume 1
  • Jennifer Strange
  • Curse of the Pigman
  • Pivot (Jack Harper Trilogy, #1)
  • The Troop
Planted on this planet by a rogue team of aliens, Lou Yardley has largely been left to her own devices. This has resulted in a coffee addiction, an obsession with hats, and an ever-growing collection of horror stories. These tales are steeped in gore as much as possible, as Lou loves when things get messy. We really don’t want to think about what her home planet is like. We suspect it’s very stick ...more

News & Interviews