Start by marking “Hollywood Daze” as Want to Read:
Hollywood Daze

Hollywood Daze

"A delightful book, fun, edgy, unforgettable." -Mary Kennedy, Best-Selling Author of the Dream Club Mysteries

A seventeen-year-old high school dropout with a wicked hidden talent, Mona, is sitting at the counter of the Fountain Coffee Room, trying not to attract the attention of Maddy Miller, a feisty, unfiltered, hotshot producer, who'll decide if her brother Joost
Published June 1st 2018 by Dark Thrill

To ask other readers questions about Hollywood Daze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollywood Daze

Start your review of Hollywood Daze
Erin ღYour YA Readerღ
Jun 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: oh-no-baby, netgalley

One Cookie
“Here we go. I’ve read the script, and I’m happy as a cheerleader’s tampon!”
my blog
I received this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

What. A. Mess. This book was not what I had anticipated whatsoever.

Characters:
The actual characters were very unlikable. I can't think of one character that I actually enjoyed reading about.

Writing:
The writing was so all over the place I had no idea what was happening half of the time. I wanted to skip chapters constantly because it
Robert
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fun book sure moves fast. Mona is in Hollywood to help her brother; he is making a movie. She is an editor, but she also is just a kid, and her brother keeps it a secret she works for him. But he relies heavily on his sister. Mona is a natural, she knows how to cut to the chase, and after a string of bad news, she has also cut off all feelings 'making her a featherweight, light on her feet.'
The books builds up, and I love the last part and the ending, it took me off guard. This is a coming
Manon the Malicious
Nov 12, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: netgalley
*DNF at 34%*

I had to make myself read that much. I couldn't focus on the story, it was all over the place and I really didn't like the writing style. Honestly, it gave me a headache. I feel like this wasn't for me. I also didn't get the characters and couldn't stand them. The entire thing felt all too unlikely in every single way to me and I didn't care about any of it.
Also, this was my second attempt reading this.
EruditeAF Literary Symposium
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: na
This book was all over the place. Usually, that is taken in a negative context, but I think it might actually work here. It's different and edgy, with rough edges and sharp corners. It felt unpolished and gritty, and I think by the ending that was what really drew me in.

So, the characters are a little strange and off-kilter. Their relationships and interactions are frequently weird and random. Mona has just arrived in the States, following her famed Dutch director brother, Joost. He's really
Julie Parks
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I've no idea what UnREAL is but something that meets Bringing up Baby...bring it on.

Fast and Furious could also be added.

Thank you Netgalley for the copy in exchange for my honest review.
Kristy Halseth
Aug 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
I received this as an advanced reading copy.

Another book that started so badly that I just gave up on it.

The characters make no sense. In the opening scene, there is nothing to distinguish any of the character names presented. Although one is apparently a dog. Characters seem to jump from scene to scene with no explanation of how they got there. One moment they are at one home and the next moment at someone else's home. There seems to be a lot of throwing up going on. And the most 'mature'
Lisa
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book but I just didn’t. The story is a young girl who comes to Hollywood to assist her brother who is a Uber-anxiety-ridden screenwriter/Director. The problem with this book is that it’s super confusing. The story is all over the place and goes off on tangents. The writing style further masks the story as the author skips from scene to scene with no clear explanations. While reading, I was constantly having to re-read sections thinking I must have missed something ...more
Deirdre
May 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Doesn't bare mentioning. Sophomoric. Reminds me of being a teenager in Hollywood in the late fifties and early sixties. I knew some pretty weird people in the motion picture industry, but none like these characters. They are acting as if they are still in film school.
Marissa
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Kindle Win Copy

Trying to make it big in Hollywood is not easy. Sometimes it all seems to be a big daze just trying to survive This tells a story of a woman trying to live the life. The usual pretentious story line that lack substance.
Lourdes
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Goodreads Kindle Win Copy

I was ok, but i felt it was going in so many different directions. I just say, give it a chance.

Just like the title.. Daze... Dazed.....
Gail Coombs
Dec 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Could not finish this book - made no sense at all
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
*I received a digital arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I did not like this one bit. I struggled to finish it and if it had not been an ARC I would have abandoned it. The story is boring and I found the characters to be uninteresting. The author describes it as a "dark screwball comedy" but I found it to be the most unentertaining book I have read this year, granted, I may just have a different sense of humor than Moroni. Overall, the concept was interesting, but the execution
Simona Moroni
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Let's get this out of the way Hollywood Daze is not a YA book. It's my third novel; the first two were published in the Netherlands. Hollywood Daze is inspired by my time working in the film industry. It's half takedown, half love letter to Hollywood. A behind-the-scenes look, where everybody is hiding something, often behind brash banter and an in-your-face attitude.
It's been a disturbing and uplifting time in Hollywood, and I wanted to turn the news on its head, by putting a female producer
Valenciya Lyons
Dec 10, 2018
Lola
Jun 02, 2018
Walt Kinsey
rated it did not like it
Dec 11, 2018
Melissa Cheresnick
Aug 14, 2018
April
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I have read a lot of other similar books and I enjoyed it but I feel it felt a bit flat for me and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I have read others.
Tejal
Jul 05, 2018
Mai
Jun 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, arc, ebook
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me a free copy of the book. The fact that I got it for free does not influence my review in any way.

I don't abandon books often - as a matter of fact, this is the second on my "abandoned" shelf. But if 14% into the book I've still no idea what is happening and can't even remember what characters there were (except for the dog and the brother) or who is speaking when, it's time to say goodbye.
Trish
Debbie
Gary Green
Clipinchick
Apr 22, 2018
I love thrillers, dogs and pasta.
On Darkthrill I geek out: expect musings on spine-chilling thrillers, nerve-recking action and blood-curling horror.
“Barbara La Marr was one of the first movie stars, she came to
Hollywood at fifteen,” she says, still scratching. “She was smart, bubbly, impatient, and it all got out of hand. When she died, they called her the girl who was too beautiful to live.”
“So now I am doomed? Thanks for the pep talk. I needed that.”
0 likes
“You’re my mascot, Paper Moon.”
I was too tired to object. We both knew I was more than a mascot. I’d worked for my brother since I was eleven, for six long years.
“You should stop calling me that,” I said.
“I love that name.”
“P.M. and her dad were crooks. It gives it away.”
0 likes