Start by marking “Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #1)” as Want to Read:
Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #1)

Three Mages and a Margarita

(The Guild Codex: Spellbound #1)

Broke, almost homeless, and recently fired. Those are my official reasons for answering a wanted ad for a skeevy-looking bartender gig.

It went downhill the moment they asked me to do a trial shift instead of an interview—to see if I'd mesh with their "special" clientele. I think that part went great. Their customers were complete dickheads, and I was an asshole
Published September 14th 2018 by Dark Owl Fantasy Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Three Mages and a Margarita, please sign up.
Izzy Hi Keren,
This is a difficult one. The author says it's not a reverse harem:
"Note: The three mages are definitely sexy, but this series isn't a…more
Hi Keren,
This is a difficult one. The author says it's not a reverse harem:
"Note: The three mages are definitely sexy, but this series isn't a reverse harem. It's 100% fun, sassy, fast-paced urban fantasy."

Saying that, however, the series very much captures the tone and feel of a reverse harem so I'm not surprised by the question e.g. MC is sort of in a relationship with one mage, she's got a budding emotional connection with another and the other one seems to be a boisterous friend who could be more. All the mages are protective of the MC and I think all three mages have made flirtatious remarks/moves towards the MC.

I actually tried the author's Steel and Stone series by the same author and felt it had reverse harem vibes also. After reading spoilers, it's clear it's not so I think it's just the author's style.

"it can be found under reverse-harem genre"
This is done by readers so mistakes can easily be made. For instance, someone has listed this book under the crime and contemporary genres.
I've asked Goodreads users to recommend me fantasy novels and I've been recommended science fiction instead. There are a lot of people out there that don't understand the differences between genres and sub-genres.
(less)

Start your review of Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #1)
✶Rachelle✶
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, arc, 2018
REREAD: Sept 19, 2019

I love this world so much. It's just the best. Even as a reread I inhaled this story. Seriously, has anyone figured out how we can jump out of our world into the world of a book? Is there some sort of book Tardis somewhere?

-------

Magic guilds, Elemental mages and psychics and other magic people, strong sense of friendship and loyalty.....what does this remind me of?...

Oh yeah.....

Say hello to the more adusomewhere?
4.5
Holly
Nothing particularly new here, but it was still enjoyable in a light-PNR way. It slightly reminded me of Slouch Witch, in the sense that both main characters don't have it all together yet, especially in the job/professionalism department. Only in this book the heroine is just a mere human, not a witch. I'll continue on with the series because it's a nice break from the more serious books.
Denisa
3.5-4ish
Well, I like it for some weird reason. Promising, definitely.

I dunno why I liked this one. It was weird and a bit annoying and can't say I love the main character, but for some reason I find this series absolutely delightful! Like a big, yummy ice cream.

This chick is fun! And her friends are pretty cool too. What caught me was the writing style, I read this book in a day without actually trying to. It went by so fast and the story was
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book from the author. This has not influenced my review.*

The blurb says this book is a fun, sassy, fast-paced urban fantasy, and I gotta say, that is actually a highly accurate description!

Tori, our main character, was one of those heroines who is full of sass and attitude and runs her mouth off or does impulsive things even when she shouldn't, and that's normally a type of character I'm not fond of. But her short temper was kind o/>
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
This was so unbelievably fun! What a great start to a new series with a little bit of it all. Danger, magic, romance, humor. I had a hard time putting this one down and will definitely be continuing on with the series. So glad I took a chance and read this!
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
09/08/2019: Read for the third time! <3

09/17/2018: Read for the second time! This book has been out for only three days and I have fully read it twice already and skimmed through it a third time. I love it!

This review MAY contain spoilers. Read at your own risk.

This book was a glorious adventure and it was just what I needed right now! Annette Marie has broken the mold and shattered my expectations yet again. Just when I think that she is super clever for c
Ezinwanyi
I am surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. It wasn't a romance but it was a straight up magic urban fantasy novel.

Tori was a bartender who can't keep a job to save her life. She even earned a reputation as someone not to hire. She finally got a job at the Crow and Hammer, and it seemed like she found a great fit. Except as a human, she shouldn't be working with the magics/the guild.

Tori meets Aaron, Ezra and others working at the Crow and Hammer, and they formed a f
mith
find this review + others on my blog!
---
I think I've said this before, but whatever. I love Annette Marie's books and I'll read anything of hers at this point. Anything.

I was ecstatic when Marie announced two new series, one of them being this one! I was just waiting for more info to come in—cover reveals, character reveals, blurbs, all that good stuff. And each new teaser just got me hyped up all the more.

That being said, I was extremely satisfied with Three Mages an
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Full review here on The Bent Bookworm!*~

I was expecting to like Three Mages and a Margarita. I was NOT expecting to love it. And well..let’s just say as soon as I finished I jumped onto GoodReads to see when the next one was coming out!

I signed up for the book tour because I like sassy female characters and felt like I could use a lighthearted, amusing read in the middle of all my heavy science stuff that I’ve been working on for months. The description made me think Jim Butcher and
Marguerite (M)
Rating: 5 stars

"Since this drink is on you," I told him, "I know exactly what I want."
He watched curiously as I turned to Cooper, my smile widening.
"How about a margarita?"

Three Mages and a Margarita was so much fun. It was well written, fast paced, with action, comedy and an overly charming heroine with anger issues.

The book introduced us to many characters but mostly revolved around Tori at her newfound workplace. She did not just get a job she practically knew nothing about but also stumbled a wh/>Three/>"Since
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
This was so much fun!

There's a bit of romance - with a hint of more to possibly come....

...but for the most part this is solidly in the UF territory - just fluffy UF. BUT it's FUN fluffy. Lots of snark, sarcasm and action. I'm totally going on to read book 2!!
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
I liked the audio. It was fun and fast-paced. Tori was entertaining and so where all the other characters we meet. Looking forward to continuing the series.

Full review to come.
Rated: 4 Stars
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I really liked this one -- the main character is fun, feisty, and ends up in an unusual situation. There's attacks, hilarious moments, borderline hot moments (still not sure which of the guys will be the one yet), intriguing world building. For a change she's the norm in a group of paranormals instead of there being something unsual about her "powers" (she has none). Will be reading the second soon.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This was a pretty sweet read. I liked Tori, she was such a vivid character. I liked her response to the things happening around her,she thought like a normal person and you could really connect with her.

I was wishing this was a RH because of all the hot guys, I kind of don't want her stuck with one, the more the merrier. I sincerely hope she learns magic in the next book and heighten her badassery.
Mellea
4.5 Stars - I loved this book... it was cute, funny, fluffy, and just what I needed on a lazy Sunday. The description says it's not reverse harem, but it is definitely similar. Lots of witty banter and flirting between Tori and the three hot male leads (guess that's why it needed a disclaimer). I can't wait for book 2!
♥Rachel♥
3.5 Stars

Fun, but I'm wondering (view spoiler)Wouldn't be cool to upset their friendship.
Mara
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I tagged this UF, but it's a stretch. A cutesy story with a barely there plot and almost no world building. It suffers terribly from superficiality and blandness. Characters were one dimensional.
I'm not particularly interested in reading this series.
Ashley
Star Rating:—> 4.5 Stars

BTW- IMO this book/ series is perfect for #readingrush! Just a suggestion to help you reach your goals!

[FYI; No clue why this is mislabeled paranormal reverse harem. It most definitely is not. In fact romance isn’t even a main plot line in the novel, although Annette Marie DOES like to remind us how sexy mah new main men are! Lol 😁]

I FREAKIN LOVE ANNETTE MARIE!
She’s done me in, again!

My first experience with her writing was the Red Winter trilogy... which is on/>BTW-Rating:—>
Ina

Oh wow, what a pleasant surprise this book was. I already gave up on accomplishing my GR reading challenge for 2018 since I haven't finished a book in a few months due to a lot of work and stress, but I'm glad I managed to squeeze this one in. I saw this book in my newsfeed a long time ago and even though I didn't have time for it back then, I thought it seemed like a fun read and the ratings were promising.

Now that I had some time during the holidays I decided to pick t
Soo
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Mini-Review:

I came across this book in my GR feed & suggested it to a friend. We promptly set up a Buddy Read to happen in a few days. I am a dork. This book is currently available on Kindle Unlimited, and I went to read a few pages to see if I would like it. I was hooked by the down to earth character & humor and ended up reading the whole thing before the Buddy Read. Ha!

My friend read the book, had a good time and we're in to Buddy Read the next one when it comes out.

I li
Narilka
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, read-in-2019
Tori Dawson is down on her luck. Having been fired from yet another waitressing job, she's immediately on the hunt for a new gig so she can make rent next month. Seeing an ad for a bartender at a dive bar Tori decides to give it a try. Beggars can't be choosers after all. Much to her surprise, the Assistant Manager is in a bind and offers Tori a trial shift on the spot. There's some guild meeting planned for the evening and they could use all the help they can get. Things get off to a rocky star ...more
☕️Kimberly
Tori our twenty-one-year-old heroine is sleeping on her brothers couch while attending college and working at service industry. Tori is a redhead with a temper or maybe she just experiences the customers from hell. After an incident that gets her fired she begins apply for open waitressing gigs and finds herself blackballed by local businesses.

Depressed but not deterred she heads to the next business on her list when she finds an ad for a bartender at the Crow and Hammer. It borders
Emma
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great new urban fantasy series from a recently discovered author. I’m really enjoying her Steel and Stone series but like this first book in a new world even more, partly because the protagonist is a bit older. We have here a world where the magic community is more or less unknown to humans, but lives in plain sight. The magic community regulates and polices itself and alchemists, Psychica and mages belong to guilds. I liked the fact that Tori herself has no magical abilities, although there a ...more
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the Plot, the world building and the characters, a really interesting and original take on the supernatural world, this does come across a little reverse harem even though it states it isnt, unfortunately for me reverse harem is a deal breaker cant stand it, but take that out and have a real couple with (preferably Ezra) this would have benn a 5 star read! and the cover amazing!
Annie
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The four main characters are in their 20's, including the heroine Tori (Victoria). It's a young adult, fantasy book. It's light and entertaining filled with sassy, snarky remarks from all the characters.
Yael Shalom
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ohhhh boy , That was so much FUN !
great characters , great action, three hot bad ass guys and a cool as hell heroine .
I loved it .
Will defiantly read the next book .

julia ☆ [owls reads]
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
4 stars!

Don’t hit first, but always hit back.

Three Mages and a Margarita is a charming Urban Fantasy book with lots of humor and a cast of well developed characters. The world-building is really well done, and the premise of a bar being a guild is both intriguing and really well explored. There’s a bit of a romance vibe between several characters, but the novel is not a reverse harem deal, just filled with fun.

Annette Marie creates a unique world and a great set up for the series in thi
Sarah Leenart
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There comes an author once in every while that every word they write is just pure magic on the page. Yes indeed! Annette Marie is one such author for me. Starting out a fresh new series in a whole new world after others have been firmly cemented in people's minds and hearts must be daunting for an author and I admit for a reader it is slightly nerve wracking too, will I like the new world/characters as much as the others? Whether you are a long time fan or new to this author's writing, you will ...more
Gaby★Me Myshelf and I★
Listened to on audio. Though that was pretty stupid because the whole series is available on KU, but I’ve a lot of free time in the car and credits on audible so I just went for it. It was a good narration if you’re looking to pick it up on audio.

As a RH nut this was a little frustrating knowing it’s not going to be a Reverse Harem but also knowing how perfect it’s set up for it. I really really want it to be.If I close my eyes and imagine real hard will it change do you think?

Aside from that it wasbe.If
Christa
Tori is hardheaded and abrasive, and looking for a new job. She’s sees an ad for a bartender at the Crow and Hammer, and bluffs her way into a bartending position. She thinks the clientele is a little odd, but she holds her own. She later learns that it is a guild for mythics - which are mages, witches, psychics, hags, etc.

Humans are not to know about mythics, but Tori is the best bartender they have ever had, she holds her own and takes crap from no one. So they decide to keep her around.

This

• Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • How to Wake an Undead City (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #6)
  • Shadow of Doubt (The Potentate of Atlanta, #1)
  • How to Live an Undead Lie (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #5)
  • Magic Bite (Supernatural Bounty Hunter, #1)
  • Heart of Ice (Alice Worth #3)
  • How to Dance an Undead Waltz (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #4)
  • Shrill Dusk (City of Magic #1)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon Book 1)
  • Wishful Thinking (How To Be The Best Damn Faery Godmother In The World Or Die Trying #1)
  • Live Fae or Die Trying (The Paranormal PI Files #1)
  • How to Kiss an Undead Bride: The Epilogues (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
  • Heart of Fire (Alice Worth #2)
  • The Lost and the Chosen (The Lost Sentinel, #1)
  • Supernatural Academy: Year One (Supernatural Academy, #1)
Annette Marie is the author of YA urban fantasy series Steel & Stone, its prequel trilogy Spell Weaver, romantic fantasy Red Winter, and sassy UF series The Guild Codex.

Her first love is fantasy, while fast-paced adventures and tantalizing forbidden romances are her guilty pleasures. She proudly admits she has a thing for dragons, and her editor has inquired as to whether she inten

The Guild Codex: Spellbound (6 books)
  • Dark Arts and a Daiquiri (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #2)
  • Two Witches and a Whiskey (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #3)
  • Demon Magic and a Martini (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #4)
  • The Alchemist and an Amaretto (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #5)
  • Druid Vices and a Vodka (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #6)
“Sharpie? You named your sword Sharpie?” “We’re supposed to be incognito, Tori. What if someone overheard me talking about my Fiery Deathbringer or Warblade of Murderous Doom?” “They’d probably think you were talking about a video game.” 2 likes
“It was worth a shot, and as the saying around here goes, you miss one hundred percent of the shots you don’t take.” 2 likes