Start by marking “Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #1)” as Want to Read:
Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #1)

Three Mages and a Margarita

(The Guild Codex: Spellbound #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  14,565 ratings  ·  1,350 reviews
Broke, almost homeless, and recently fired. Those are my official reasons for answering a wanted ad for a skeevy-looking bartender gig.

It went downhill the moment they asked me to do a trial shift instead of an interview—to see if I'd mesh with their "special" clientele. I think that part went great. Their customers were complete dickheads, and I was an ***hole right back.
Published September 14th 2018 by Dark Owl Fantasy Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Three Mages and a Margarita, please sign up.
Emily So far I have read the first 2 books in the series and am reading the 3rd now. This series is what I would call diet reverse harem. While technically …moreSo far I have read the first 2 books in the series and am reading the 3rd now. This series is what I would call diet reverse harem. While technically it is not a reverse harem, it shared many characteristics of one. As mentioned by Izzy, the three mages are protective of the MC, and all display romance vibes towards her (in very different ways). The MC is casually dating one of the mages but it is no great romance (as so far as I have read).
This book is kinda unique since it does not commit to reverse harem genre while giving off a feeling of one. I notoriously dislike RH but I like this series, so if you are really curious just give the book a try. I did, and so far am not regretting it. (less)
Jae Lato This series does have romance, but keep in mind that it is an urban fantasy book, meaning the romance is a slow-burn and takes a back seat to the acti…moreThis series does have romance, but keep in mind that it is an urban fantasy book, meaning the romance is a slow-burn and takes a back seat to the action. There are several possible love interests in the first few books, but this is NOT (I repeat: NOT) a reverse harem book, and the MC very clearly has one love interest that is end-game. I'd say the romance aspect of this series really picks up in the fourth book and peaks in the sixth. I am eagerly awaiting the seventh and eighth!(less)

·  14,565 ratings  ·  1,350 reviews

Start your review of Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #1)
✶Rachelle✶
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2018, paranormal
REREAD AGAIN: Sept 1, 2020

For real though, has someone invented a book Tardis?

———-

REREAD: Sept 19, 2019

I love this world so much. It's just the best. Even as a reread I inhaled this story. Seriously, has anyone figured out how we can jump out of our world into the world of a book? Is there some sort of book Tardis somewhere?

-------

Magic guilds, Elemental mages and psychics and other magic people, strong sense of friendship and loyalty.....what does this remind me of?...

Oh yeah.....

Say h
Holly
Nothing particularly new here, but it was still enjoyable in a light-PNR way. It slightly reminded me of Slouch Witch, in the sense that both main characters don't have it all together yet, especially in the job/professionalism department. Only in this book the heroine is just a mere human, not a witch. I'll continue on with the series because it's a nice break from the more serious books.
Denisa
3.5-4ish
Well, I like it for some weird reason. Promising, definitely.

I dunno why I liked this one. It was weird and a bit annoying and can't say I love the main character, but for some reason I find this series absolutely delightful! Like a big, yummy ice cream.

This chick is fun! And her friends are pretty cool too. What caught me was the writing style, I read this book in a day without actually trying to. It went by so fast and the story was so much fun that I could barely put it down to eat (
Montzalee Wittmann
Three Mages and a Margarita
The Guild Codex: Spellbound Series, Book 1
By: Annette Marie
Narrated by: Cris Dukehart
This really is a fun book! A short tempered, take no sass gal can't keep a job. She comes across a flyer for a job at a bar in a bad part of town. Desperate, she takes it. She still has her anger issues but no one cares! She soon finds out why and why they shouldn't have hired her! Lots of magic, action, not mages, and craziness! Fun book!
The narrator made it super special too!
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
06/14/2021: Reread! (Audiobook.)
09/12/2020: Reread! (Audiobook.)
07/28/2020: Reread! (Listened on audio with my son, Maddox.)
07/13/2020: Reread! (Listened on audio while reading along with my physical copy.)
(view spoiler)
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Q: “A daiquiri? Good choice. ... Perfect drink for a chat about the dark arts.” (c)
Q: “Maybe we should call ourselves crows instead of hammers.” (c)
Q: “... independence is an admirable trait, but it can be rooted in pride, insecurity, and fear as easily as it can stem from strength, confidence, and self-reliance. Be sure you know what drives yours.” (c)

Fancy 'complimentary mold, cockroaches, and suspicious odors'? If no, getting an apartment w/faery is a done deal. Or not:
Q: Hell no. I was not d
Kit (Metaphors and Moonlight)
4 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book from the author. This has not influenced my review.*

The blurb says this book is a fun, sassy, fast-paced urban fantasy, and I gotta say, that is actually a highly accurate description!

Tori, our main character, was one of those heroines who is full of sass and attitude and runs her mouth off or does impulsive things even when she shouldn't, and that's normally a type of character I'm not fond of. But her short temper was kind of understandable in th
Ashley
Star Rating:—> 4.5 Stars

BTW- IMO this book/ series is perfect for #readingrush! Just a suggestion to help you reach your goals!

[FYI; No clue why this is mislabeled paranormal reverse harem. It most definitely is not. In fact romance isn’t even a main plot line in the novel, although Annette Marie DOES like to remind us how sexy mah new main men are! Lol 😁]

I FREAKIN LOVE ANNETTE MARIE!
She’s done me in, again!

My first experience with her writing was the Red Winter trilogy... which is one of my fa
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
This was so unbelievably fun! What a great start to a new series with a little bit of it all. Danger, magic, romance, humor. I had a hard time putting this one down and will definitely be continuing on with the series. So glad I took a chance and read this!
Ezinwanyi Chinyere
I am surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. It wasn't a romance but it was a straight up magic urban fantasy novel.

Tori was a bartender who can't keep a job to save her life. She even earned a reputation as someone not to hire. She finally got a job at the Crow and Hammer, and it seemed like she found a great fit. Except as a human, she shouldn't be working with the magics/the guild.

Tori meets Aaron, Ezra and others working at the Crow and Hammer, and they formed a friendship of sorts. It w
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Three Mages and a Margarita is book one in The Guild Codex: Spellbound by Annetta Marie.

This is my first taste of Author Annetta Marie. I’ve had my eye on her work since she first came on the scene. Her covers are very eye-catching and make want to take a second look.

Three Mages and a Margarita was a very entertaining and amusing listen.

Tori is our lead. She’s a twenty-one-year-old heroine who’s currently sleeping on her brothers couch while attending college and working in the serving indust
Marguerite (M)
Rating: 5 stars

"Since this drink is on you," I told him, "I know exactly what I want."
He watched curiously as I turned to Cooper, my smile widening.
"How about a margarita?"

Three Mages and a Margarita was so much fun. It was well written, fast paced, with action, comedy and an overly charming heroine with anger issues.

The book introduced us to many characters but mostly revolved around Tori at her newfound workplace. She did not just get a job she practically knew nothing about but also stumbled
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I really liked this one -- the main character is fun, feisty, and ends up in an unusual situation. There's attacks, hilarious moments, borderline hot moments (still not sure which of the guys will be the one yet), intriguing world building. For a change she's the norm in a group of paranormals instead of there being something unsual about her "powers" (she has none). Will be reading the second soon. ...more
Lindsay
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Enjoyable characters, clean, tight writing. Heroine is an everyday-woman type, if you need a break from uber powerful badasses. :D
mith
find this review + others on my blog!
---
I think I've said this before, but whatever. I love Annette Marie's books and I'll read anything of hers at this point. Anything.

I was ecstatic when Marie announced two new series, one of them being this one! I was just waiting for more info to come in—cover reveals, character reveals, blurbs, all that good stuff. And each new teaser just got me hyped up all the more.

That being said, I was extremely satisfied with Three Mages and a Margarita! Despite the t
Jacob Proffitt
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chaste, urban-fantasy
This shouldn't have worked very well, really. The worldbuilding is haphazard with only enough framework to support the story and lots of undefined details around the edges. Plus, I have a hard time imagining that a group of magic folks would call themselves "mythic" anything, let alone "mythics" as a group. Maybe if they were unicorns or something? And the plot only works if you take the worldbuilding seriously and that takes some effort with how threadbare it is.

But Marie takes a huge risk by g
Brittany
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. I had heard good things about it from some goodreads friends and when my library got an audio copy I just couldn't put off trying it any longer. I like the world, love the magic types and enjoyed the characters. Love Ezra the most of the mages. There's something about him that is just fabulous. Tori is snarky and trouble as well as a fun character to follow.
Highly recommend. On hold for book 2!
AℳY♔Teens against YA♔ GET IT LET IT ROLL
Flirtatious, funny, unique! Annette Marie sensei is so so cool.
Mara
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I tagged this UF, but it's a stretch. A cutesy story with a barely there plot and almost no world building. It suffers terribly from superficiality and blandness. Characters were one dimensional.
I'm not particularly interested in reading this series.
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Full review here on The Bent Bookworm!*~

I was expecting to like Three Mages and a Margarita. I was NOT expecting to love it. And well..let’s just say as soon as I finished I jumped onto GoodReads to see when the next one was coming out!

I signed up for the book tour because I like sassy female characters and felt like I could use a lighthearted, amusing read in the middle of all my heavy science stuff that I’ve been working on for months. The description made me think Jim Butcher and Gail Carri
Darce
Brief review above the... umm... wiggly dashes (?) and long, more series-focused review below the wiggly dashes!

entertaining, funny, addictive and i flew through it! all up, pretty good! it's no Red Winter but few books are ;)

thanks ashy xx

~~~

Phew ok! My thoughts on this series are pretty crazy, so here goes.
First of all: don’t get invested in Aaron and Tori as a thing, because they just ain’t it. I doubt anyone who enjoys good romance would like them, as they don’t have much chemistry, but ju
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
This was so much fun!

There's a bit of romance - with a hint of more to possibly come....

...but for the most part this is solidly in the UF territory - just fluffy UF. BUT it's FUN fluffy. Lots of snark, sarcasm and action. I'm totally going on to read book 2!!
★Me Myshelf and I★
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Listened to on audio. Though that was pretty stupid because the whole series is available on KU, but I’ve a lot of free time in the car and credits on audible so I just went for it. It was a good narration if you’re looking to pick it up on audio.

As a RH nut this was a little frustrating knowing it’s not going to be a Reverse Harem but also knowing how perfect it’s set up for it. I really really want it to be.If I close my eyes and imagine real hard will it change do you think?

Aside from that i
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This was a pretty sweet read. I liked Tori, she was such a vivid character. I liked her response to the things happening around her,she thought like a normal person and you could really connect with her.

I was wishing this was a RH because of all the hot guys, I kind of don't want her stuck with one, the more the merrier. I sincerely hope she learns magic in the next book and heighten her badassery.
Mellea
4.5 Stars - I loved this book... it was cute, funny, fluffy, and just what I needed on a lazy Sunday. The description says it's not reverse harem, but it is definitely similar. Lots of witty banter and flirting between Tori and the three hot male leads (guess that's why it needed a disclaimer). I can't wait for book 2! ...more
Arunimaa

description

Three Mages and a Margarita turned out to be a fun ride nicely packed with magical guilds, psychics, a fair share of action and oh yes, three super hot mages.

This was my first time reading anything by Annette Marie. As far as the writing is concerned, it was alright. It was simple, light and refreshing which I quite liked but I can't really say it was the best. I just sometimes felt that certain things to be too forced. Humour was persistent though throughout which was.

The qui
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
Originally posted at:

Annette Marie has done it again! This was a fantastic start to what I can already tell is going to be an amazing series! I love how detail oriented the universe's she creates are. The narration and pace to the story were great and has left me wanting more.

Tori was a fascinating character to get to know. She has quite a temper and refuses to take anyone's crap. Those personality traits don't make it easy for her to keep a job until sheer luck and coincidence make an appea
Soo
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Mini-Review:

I came across this book in my GR feed & suggested it to a friend. We promptly set up a Buddy Read to happen in a few days. I am a dork. This book is currently available on Kindle Unlimited, and I went to read a few pages to see if I would like it. I was hooked by the down to earth character & humor and ended up reading the whole thing before the Buddy Read. Ha!

My friend read the book, had a good time and we're in to Buddy Read the next one when it comes out.

I like Tori & the gang a
Ina

Oh wow, what a pleasant surprise this book was. I already gave up on accomplishing my GR reading challenge for 2018 since I haven't finished a book in a few months due to a lot of work and stress, but I'm glad I managed to squeeze this one in. I saw this book in my newsfeed a long time ago and even though I didn't have time for it back then, I thought it seemed like a fun read and the ratings were promising.

Now that I had some time during the holidays I decided to pick this up and I was
Aurialis
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books
Is there a word for opposite of cliche? Anti-cliche?

That's how I would describe the book. I was pleasantly surprised by this series. Shocked, to be honest!

The very best, shocking, bold, original, daring part of the book is that the heroine is human.

HUMAN.

This maybe the only urban fantasy I have read - hell, perhaps the only one written - where the main heroine is totally human! This is just not done! The 3 out of the 4 stars are just for that!

This makes for a very interesting heroine. Here, we

• Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • Magic Redeemed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #2)
  • Brimstone Bound (Firebrand, #1)
  • Magic Unleashed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #3)
  • Heart of Malice (Alice Worth, #1)
  • How to Save an Undead Life (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #1)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Heart of Fire (Alice Worth #2)
  • Infernal Enchantment (Firebrand, #2)
  • How to Claim an Undead Soul (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #2)
  • Shifter Wars (Werewolf Dens #1)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Midnight Smoke (Firebrand, #3)
  • Heart of Ice (Alice Worth, #3)
  • Slouch Witch (The Lazy Girl's Guide to Magic, #1)
  • Crown of Moonlight (Court of Midnight and Deception #2)
See top shelves…
Annette Marie is the author of YA urban fantasy series Steel & Stone, its prequel trilogy Spell Weaver, romantic fantasy Red Winter, and sassy UF series The Guild Codex.

Her first love is fantasy, while fast-paced adventures and tantalizing forbidden romances are her guilty pleasures. She proudly admits she has a thing for dragons, and her editor has inquired as to whether she intends to include th

The Guild Codex: Spellbound (9 books)
  • Dark Arts and a Daiquiri (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #2)
  • Two Witches and a Whiskey (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #3)
  • Demon Magic and a Martini (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #4)
  • The Alchemist and an Amaretto (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #5)
  • Druid Vices and a Vodka (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #6)
  • Lost Talismans and a Tequila (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #7)
  • Damned Souls and a Sangria (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #8)
  • The One and Only Crystal Druid (The Guild Codex: Unveiled #1)