Start by marking “The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)

The Wolf at Bay

(Big Bad Wolf #2)

Going home digs up bad memories, so it’s something Bureau of Special Investigations agent Cooper Dayton tries to avoid. When he’s guilted into a visit, Cooper brings along Oliver Park, his hot new werewolf partner, in the hopes the trip will help clarify their status as a couple…or not.

When Park’s keen shifter nose uncovers a body in the yard and Cooper’s father is the pri
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 262 pages
Published September 24th 2018 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wolf at Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wolf at Bay

Start your review of The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
Shile
5+++++++ Porcupine stars

LOVED IT! LOVED IT!

Warning! Gushing! Gushing and more Gushing!

Because:

description

-This book made me really happy.

-Cooper is the best MC ever, not the one we are used to, he is flawed, doesn't know when to shut up, doesn't know how to apologize, annoying, loving, funny and i freaking love him.

- The writing is so good, clever and the character development is also so well done. The take on werewolves plot is unique and not the kind we are used to. I really do appreciate that, it alway
~Mindy Lynn~
5 Stars!

Really good. Lots of growth character and relationship wise. Still in shock that I will have to wait until fucking APRIL 2019 to get the next book.

Avoiding going home is no longer an option for Cooper when his father calls and pretty much guilt's him into coming home for his brothers engagement party. Coop would like to see his family he just hates going back to his hometown where the memories he'd rather forget lingers. But he can't say no and the only way he feels like he can survive
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Lovely Stars!

Whelp.

This sequel did not fail me.

Admittedly, it drove me quite bonkers but really really incorporated so many things I love in a romance where I have a soft spot for not only law enforcement MC’s but also the exact situation where there is so much doubt and insecurity and the small baby steps of wins is just so gratifying because you're waiting on the edge of your seat for some grand gesture but all you get is a small look or twitch or that rarely heard endearment and your he
Wendy
Yeah... I liked this one even more than the first. Pretty awesome series so far and you know what... Cooper is even starting to grow on me!!

He can still be a douche at times, but his douchiness is fading a bit :P

Parker was still his awesome self and I want to give some extra credit to Cooper's brother and father... they were pretty great men.

On to the next, so curious about Parker's fam ;)

4 full stars
Simone
***4.5 Stars***
Sometimes letting people get to know more about you didn't bring you closer, it just gave them more reasons to want to walk away.

Partners. Four months after solving their first case for the Bureau of Special Investigations, former FBI Agent Cooper Dayton and werewolf Oliver Park are still partners in the field. And in bed.

Lovers. So yeah, they are in a relationship. Kinda. Sorta. They have fun together - in and out of bed -, watching movies an
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
I kind of slogged through this one.

I know. I know.

IDK why I keep reading them wrong.

Maybe I should retire to the blanket fort forever the weekend?

Cooper exhausted me in this one. I can handle anxiety and insecurities and angst, but it was his selfishness that broke me and made me feel like wrapping Park up in a super tight, prolonged, possibly awkward hug. I also had trouble understanding how someone trained at Quantico to be not only logical but observant could be so illogical and completely
Ky
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Amazing story!

The mystery was soooo good. The suspence had me reluctant to stop reading even though it was the middle of the night and I had an early morning. And the romance? That had a nice comfy spot in the plot as well.

Bit by bit the fantastic world that Charlie Adhara created for her characters is revealed to us and we can do nothing but buckle on and get ready for the ride.

There is no paragraph after paragraph of information about what being a werewolf means and I liked that. The de
Meags
4 Stars

There’s nothing like a dreaded hometown visit that results in a murder-mystery to get the blood pumping!

In this sequel to The Wolf at the Door, BSI agent Cooper Dayton and his werewolf partner (and maybe-boyfriend) Oliver Park find themselves immersed in yet another murder investigation when they discover a long-since-dead-body buried in the backyard of Cooper’s childhood family home.

Keeping the more intimate details of his professional and private life from his family has been a long, dr
Diana
The Wolf at Bay is book 2 in the Big Bad Wolf series and picks up four months after the ending of book 1, The Wolf at the Door . Cooper Dayton and Oliver Park are now partners at the BSI, but they are struggling to define their relationship outside of work. Cooper returns to his childhood home for a family event, and Oliver decides to go with him. Cooper is nervous, not only about seeing his family, but also having to deal with not so nice childhood memories. When skeletal remains are uncovered, ...more
Moony Eliver
Yep. Yep yep yep. In spite of myself and a handful of imperfections, I’m officially a fan.

You might be aware that this is not my normal kind of read. It’s basically a vanilla, no-depravity-in-sight, contemporary romance. (I know I know, but even that part falls a little shy of my kink baseline. 😆 Also, this is the most non-shiftery shifter series you could ever hope to meet.) Plus, it’s a detective mystery. Not checking my favorite boxes.

And yet here we are. At some point and without my express
Snjez
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, re-reads
Re-read 3/2020: I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed the audiobook for this one. The pacing and the narration were so much better than book 1. As for the story, I liked it just as much as the first time, if not more. 4.5 stars

*********
Original review:
I think I liked the first book just a tiny bit more, nevertheless this was a great sequel.

Cooper and Park are still wonderful together. I loved the relationship development in this one. The family dynamics between Cooper and his father and brother
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
I fucking love this book. I fucking love this book. I fucking love this book. I want to scream it from roof tops. I’m so in love with this book and these characters. It’s stupid.

I
LOVE
IT

I fucking loved Cooper and Olivier in the first book and I love them even more in this one. God, I love them so much. They are so snarky and cute and so much fun. For real, they might tie with Caleb and Theo from Riven which is huge because I love those babes to death.

This book was just so. much. fun. I really e
Fabi
The author's GR bio says "...her stories feature imperfect people stumbling around, tripping over trouble and falling in love..." and that's exactly what she writes. Writes wonderfully, I might add.

The Wolf at Bay is not a stand-alone novel and should be read after The Wolf at the Door. Please be aware that this review may be spoilerish regarding book 1.

Cooper and Oliver are officially work partners now. During their off hours they may be a little more to each other, but neither of them have
Cadiva
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another piece of brilliance, full review to come when I'm at the laptop.

The follow up to The Wolf at the Door is just as brilliant as Charlie Adhara's debut paranormal novel.

Filled with a fast-paced plot which drives the narrative forward in a consistent process, The Wolf at Bay gives us a Cooper and Park having to deal with a case which is too close to home when Agent Dayton's father is the prime suspect in a cold case murder inquiry.

There are tensions galore in this one, from Coop's inability
Ariana
Oh my loving God. This was totally amazing.
(hence I put it onto my 'best of the best' shelf!)

Charlie Adhara totally bowled me over here, with a great plot and absolutely fabulous character development.

Four months after the events of book 1, Cooper and Oliver have been seeing each other regularly, but they have never talked about what they are to each other.

Cooper still has got the mind-blowing knack to choose the exactly WRONG words when it comes to feelings. Again and again. And we see Oliver
Christine
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, paranormal
So the murder mystery in this installment held much more interest with me than the first book did. And there were a few LOL moments here as well.

I still don’t find either MC’s all that interesting and I honestly don’t get why Park loves Cooper. He is insecure, prickly and tends to be an asshole more times then not.
I haven’t found a redeeming trait in him yet.

The extremely poor communication skills drove me crazy as well. I get that not every book can have low level angst and honest straight f
Elena
On paper, this series has the potential to become one of my favorites; it’s not there yet and I’m not sure it’ll ever be, but the right pieces are all there and I’m hoping they’ll be put together in the perfect way sooner or later.

I still love the world building and the mystery/interspecies-federal-agency aspect, despite the second not being as prominent here as in the first book. There’s something slightly off, though, in the way the author handles the interaction between Cooper and Oliver tha
Mir
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this slightly less than the first, but I think only because I don't care for audio as much as print books. Still, my desire to find out what happened did get me to spend more time gardening and on the treadmill than my lazy ass would otherwise have done, so it was a win-win!

The narrator was okay. He was generally easy enough to understand, although he did some of the characters in lower voices and I sometimes missed their lines. He was slightly nasal in a way that made Cooper seem extr
Zuzu
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
4/29/20 - Reread. Upping to 5 stars
—————
4 strong stars

I liked this book much better than the first one. My complaint about the 1st was I didn't feel the emotion. That wasn't an issue with this 2nd book. The story is told from Cooper's perspective. I'm a huge fan of the dual POV so I get a bit frustrated. Yes, the dual POV may take the "mystery" out of a burgeoning relationship, but I prefer knowing what both MC's are thinking/feeling. However, it's apparent that Park, as well as Cooper, have fee
Ami
The Wolf at Bay follows our (human) BSI agent, Cooper Dayton, and his werewolf partner (in bed and out) Oliver Park as they are heading to Cooper’s hometown of Jagger Valley, Maryland. Cooper has been avoiding his family but after his father called and reminded Cooper of his brother’s engagement party, he couldn’t say no. Unfortunately, the family time is tainted with the discovery of a dead body on Cooper’s family’s backyard, and his father become number one suspect…

After finishing the firs
⚣Michaelle⚣
Audio Review 20Mar2020: 4.2 Stars

Still having a hard time with little character differentiation in the voices, but loving how Erik narrates otherwise...especially the sex scenes!

Original Review 16Apr2019: 4 Stars

Even better than the first one; I loved how the story focused more on the MCs' relationship and Cooper's character development.

Started the 3rd one immediately after I finished.
Hollis
Cooper made me want to beat my head against the wall but I enjoyed the family dynamics of this one and some of the, slowly, hard-earned peeling of Oliver's layers. Not sure I liked this better than book one but I did like it in different ways. Diving right into book three.
Caz
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

Charlie Adhara’s début novel, The Wolf at the Door, was a hugely entertaining combination of paranormal romance and romantic suspense. Set in a world in which werewolves exist and have recently made themselves known to world governments, readers were introduced to the BSI (Bureau of Special Investigation) which is the division of the FBI specifically tasked with investigating werewolf-related crimes. Special Agent Cooper Dayton was seriously wounded in a werewolf attack around a year be
Caipi
Great mystery with enough twists and turns that kept me guessing.
Cooper and Oliver were hot together but I was also really frustrated by them for the way they circled around the big feelings-/relationship-talk, with Cooper analyzing everything endless.

Looking forward now to Thrown to the Wolves!
annob
So happy to find this sequel just as hard to put down as the first book!

When I finished reading I found that Moony has already written an excellent review, mirroring all of my own opinions. Definitely will read the third book in the series as soon as it is released.
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
I'm loving this series! It's the perfect smorgasbord of mystery suspense, paranormal and m/m romance. The angst is high, the chemistry so freakin' hot, the conflict real, the case well developed along with the characters. Highly recommended!
Alisa
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I fangirled the heck out of the first book in this series, to anyone who would listen. It is going on my 'best of" list for this year. I was really excited when I got this book and I was hoping the author would keep the pace and that this would be just as good. I'm super happy to report that it was.

This picks up about four months after the end of book one. Cooper and Oliver have been working cases together during this time and have tentatively been building their relationship. On their way home
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Ooh, dat wolf!

This was such a fun read!

I love him, but, the best back of this book was the world description. It.was.fab! The description writing of the world and scenery continues to keep me into this book, but the paranormal aspect was a bit weak.
haletostilinski
I have legitimately found a new series and author to love. I'm just bummed because at the end of this it said the next one doesn't come out until April of 2019!!!!! :O That's so longggg, and I already can't wait for more :D

After the end of book 1, Cooper and Park were tentatively starting something together, and book 2 starts 4 months after the event of book 1. Cooper and Park are definite partners now, and they've been working cases together for the past 4 months.

But when Cooper's father calls
Meep
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Rushed through it then read again with a less frazzled brain.

The mystery in this book is personal which adds emotion to the solving. It's perhaps the reveals and facing things as a family that is the most important aspect of it, though it's interesting and involving enough. There's plenty humour and feels along the way.

Their relationship is still a work in progress, it's clear how deeply both feel but both men are too caught up in their own insecurities. What I especially lik
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil, #2)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • Devil in the Details (Death and the Devil, #1.8)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • When the Devil Drives (Death and the Devil, #1.6)
  • Cash Plays (Seven of Spades, #3)
  • Bargaining with the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1.4)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
Charlie Adhara has always loved a good story and, on occasion, a bad one. After getting her degree in neuroscience, Charlie decided she’d much rather study the heart. She now writes contemporary, mystery, paranormal, queer romance. Or some assortment of that. Whatever the genre, her stories feature imperfect people stumbling around, tripping over trouble and falling in love.
Charlie has done a fai

Big Bad Wolf (5 books)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Cry Wolf (Big Bad Wolf, #5)

News & Interviews

“It’s what you didn’t say, Dad.” Cooper could hear his voice loud and steady, like it had been growing inside him and waiting to burst out for years. “You never even mentioned it. Like it didn’t exist. Like it didn’t even cross your mind that I could be gay or bi or anything else. How was I to know it was okay? I never heard it from you. It wasn’t my job to tell you. It was yours to make me feel like I didn’t have to hide it from you.” 5 likes
“So I get it. I know you’re this ridiculous superhero and you always have been. Shit, you might not believe in magic, but to me you’re as close to magical as anything I’ve ever known. And not just because of the whole werewolf thing, but because you’re you. All special and brilliant and patient and funny and you know, sort of good-looking sometimes, I guess.” 4 likes