Start by marking “The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)

The Wolf at Bay

(Big Bad Wolf #2)

Going home digs up bad memories, so it’s something Bureau of Special Investigations agent Cooper Dayton tries to avoid. When he’s guilted into a visit, Cooper brings along Oliver Park, his hot new werewolf partner, in the hopes the trip will help clarify their status as a couple…or not.

When Park’s keen shifter nose uncovers a body in the yard and Cooper’s father is the pri
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 262 pages
Published September 24th 2018 by Carina Press

Start your review of The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
Shile
5+++++++ Porcupine stars

LOVED IT! LOVED IT!

Warning! Gushing! Gushing and more Gushing!

Because:

description

-This book made me really happy.

-Cooper is the best MC ever, not the one we are used to, he is flawed, doesn't know when to shut up, doesn't know how to apologize, annoying, loving, funny and i freaking love him.

- The writing is so good, clever and the character development is also so well done. The take on werewolves plot is unique and not the kind we are used to. I really do appreciate that, it alway
~Mindy Lynn~
5 Stars!

Really good. Lots of growth character and relationship wise. Still in shock that I will have to wait until fucking APRIL 2019 to get the next book.

Avoiding going home is no longer an option for Cooper when his father calls and pretty much guilt's him into coming home for his brothers engagement party. Coop would like to see his family he just hates going back to his hometown where the memories he'd rather forget lingers. But he can't say no and the only way he feels like he can survive
Candy M.
⭐ 5 "Yet if GR allowed 6+ to be a rating, THIS WOULD BE GETTING IT" stars ⭐

As is customary for me, I read the first book, loved it, and then procrastinated picking the rest of the series back up for months.

Now that I finally did, however…

description
A visual representation of how things went down. But getting emotionally KO'd was a price I was more than willing to pay for this thrill ride.

******************

Writing this review ended up being more difficult than I expected, considering I finished reading thi
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Lovely Stars!

Whelp.

This sequel did not fail me.

Admittedly, it drove me quite bonkers but really really incorporated so many things I love in a romance where I have a soft spot for not only law enforcement MC’s but also the exact situation where there is so much doubt and insecurity and the small baby steps of wins is just so gratifying because you're waiting on the edge of your seat for some grand gesture but all you get is a small look or twitch or that rarely heard endearment and your he
Wendys Wycked Words
Yeah... I liked this one even more than the first. Pretty awesome series so far and you know what... Cooper is even starting to grow on me!!

He can still be a douche at times, but his douchiness is fading a bit :P

Parker was still his awesome self and I want to give some extra credit to Cooper's brother and father... they were pretty great men.

On to the next, so curious about Parker's fam ;)

4 full stars
Simone
***4.5 Stars***
Sometimes letting people get to know more about you didn't bring you closer, it just gave them more reasons to want to walk away.

Partners. Four months after solving their first case for the Bureau of Special Investigations, former FBI Agent Cooper Dayton and werewolf Oliver Park are still partners in the field. And in bed.

Lovers. So yeah, they are in a relationship. Kinda. Sorta. They have fun together - in and out of bed -, watching movies an
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
I kind of slogged through this one.

I know. I know.

IDK why I keep reading them wrong.

Maybe I should retire to the blanket fort forever the weekend?

Cooper exhausted me in this one. I can handle anxiety and insecurities and angst, but it was his selfishness that broke me and made me feel like wrapping Park up in a super tight, prolonged, possibly awkward hug. I also had trouble understanding how someone trained at Quantico to be not only logical but observant could be so illogical and completely
Ky
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Amazing story!

The mystery was soooo good. The suspence had me reluctant to stop reading even though it was the middle of the night and I had an early morning. And the romance? That had a nice comfy spot in the plot as well.

Bit by bit the fantastic world that Charlie Adhara created for her characters is revealed to us and we can do nothing but buckle on and get ready for the ride.

There is no paragraph after paragraph of information about what being a werewolf means and I liked that. The de
Meags
4 Stars

There’s nothing like a dreaded hometown visit that results in a murder-mystery to get the blood pumping!

In this sequel to The Wolf at the Door, BSI agent Cooper Dayton and his werewolf partner (and maybe-boyfriend) Oliver Park find themselves immersed in yet another murder investigation when they discover a long-since-dead-body buried in the backyard of Cooper’s childhood family home.

Keeping the more intimate details of his professional and private life from his family has been a long, dr
Diana
The Wolf at Bay is book 2 in the Big Bad Wolf series and picks up four months after the ending of book 1, The Wolf at the Door . Cooper Dayton and Oliver Park are now partners at the BSI, but they are struggling to define their relationship outside of work. Cooper returns to his childhood home for a family event, and Oliver decides to go with him. Cooper is nervous, not only about seeing his family, but also having to deal with not so nice childhood memories. When skeletal remains are uncovered, ...more
Jilly
He's going home to see his family while trying to hide that he's gay (even though he's bringing his boyfriend with him), that he works a dangerous job (even though he has giant scars from a brutal attack), and that werewolves exist (even though said boyfriend IS a werewolf).
This is going to go great!!

Well, this is true. It couldn't possibly be worse than some of my past family holiday visits.

And, it's not like his father and brother are cops or anything. Or, that they find a dead body under the
Snjez
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, re-reads
Re-read 3/2020: I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed the audiobook for this one. The pacing and the narration were so much better than book 1. As for the story, I liked it just as much as the first time, if not more. 4.5 stars

*********
Original review:
I think I liked the first book just a tiny bit more, nevertheless this was a great sequel.

Cooper and Park are still wonderful together. I loved the relationship development in this one. The family dynamics between Cooper and his father and brother
Xia Xia
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Xia Xia by: Rosa
I don't like mysteries, I don't like werewolf books and yet I'm binging this series like crazy, and I can't wait to start book 3.
Cooper and Oliver are adorkable with their imperfections, and the way they dance around each other's feelings. They have great chemistry, both as FBI/BSI partners and as lovers.
I also like the mysteries. I usually stay away from mystery books because the majority of them are so dull, you can guess in the first part of the book who did it. Not here. Points for that.

Tha
Moony Eliver
Yep. Yep yep yep. In spite of myself and a handful of imperfections, I’m officially a fan.

You might be aware that this is not my normal kind of read. It’s basically a vanilla, no-depravity-in-sight, contemporary romance. (I know I know, but even that part falls a little shy of my kink baseline. 😆 Also, this is the most non-shiftery shifter series you could ever hope to meet.) Plus, it’s a detective mystery. Not checking my favorite boxes.

And yet here we are. At some point and without my express
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
I fucking love this book. I fucking love this book. I fucking love this book. I want to scream it from roof tops. I’m so in love with this book and these characters. It’s stupid.

I
LOVE
IT

I fucking loved Cooper and Olivier in the first book and I love them even more in this one. God, I love them so much. They are so snarky and cute and so much fun. For real, they might tie with Caleb and Theo from Riven which is huge because I love those babes to death.

This book was just so. much. fun. I really e
Fabi
The author's GR bio says "...her stories feature imperfect people stumbling around, tripping over trouble and falling in love..." and that's exactly what she writes. Writes wonderfully, I might add.

The Wolf at Bay is not a stand-alone novel and should be read after The Wolf at the Door. Please be aware that this review may be spoilerish regarding book 1.

Cooper and Oliver are officially work partners now. During their off hours they may be a little more to each other, but neither of them have
Cadiva
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another piece of brilliance, full review to come when I'm at the laptop.

The follow up to The Wolf at the Door is just as brilliant as Charlie Adhara's debut paranormal novel.

Filled with a fast-paced plot which drives the narrative forward in a consistent process, The Wolf at Bay gives us a Cooper and Park having to deal with a case which is too close to home when Agent Dayton's father is the prime suspect in a cold case murder inquiry.

There are tensions galore in this one, from Coop's inability
Llakshmi
May 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
So I’m currently obsessed with super addicting MM slow burn mysteries.
After reading criminal intentions, I didn’t get my hopes up when I automatically jumped into this series (thank you @Candy) BUT HOLY SHIT WAS THIS GOOD.

I think Oliver and Cooper had chemistry from day one. It was pretty obvious that they listed after each other and their snappy banter was just right to make this have an enemies to lovers with a forced proximity feel to it. The romance however wasn’t as slow as I expected. no
Ariana
Oh my loving God. This was totally amazing.
(hence I put it onto my 'best of the best' shelf!)

Charlie Adhara totally bowled me over here, with a great plot and absolutely fabulous character development.

Four months after the events of book 1, Cooper and Oliver have been seeing each other regularly, but they have never talked about what they are to each other.

Cooper still has got the mind-blowing knack to choose the exactly WRONG words when it comes to feelings. Again and again. And we see Oliver
Christine
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, paranormal
So the murder mystery in this installment held much more interest with me than the first book did. And there were a few LOL moments here as well.

I still don’t find either MC’s all that interesting and I honestly don’t get why Park loves Cooper. He is insecure, prickly and tends to be an asshole more times then not.
I haven’t found a redeeming trait in him yet.

The extremely poor communication skills drove me crazy as well. I get that not every book can have low level angst and honest straight f
Mir
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this slightly less than the first, but I think only because I don't care for audio as much as print books. Still, my desire to find out what happened did get me to spend more time gardening and on the treadmill than my lazy ass would otherwise have done, so it was a win-win!

The narrator was okay. He was generally easy enough to understand, although he did some of the characters in lower voices and I sometimes missed their lines. He was slightly nasal in a way that made Cooper seem extr
Elena
On paper, this series has the potential to become one of my favorites; it’s not there yet and I’m not sure it’ll ever be, but the right pieces are all there and I’m hoping they’ll be put together in the perfect way sooner or later.

I still love the world building and the mystery/interspecies-federal-agency aspect, despite the second not being as prominent here as in the first book. There’s something slightly off, though, in the way the author handles the interaction between Cooper and Oliver tha
Zuzu
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
4/29/20 - Reread. Upping to 5 stars
—————
4 strong stars

I liked this book much better than the first one. My complaint about the 1st was I didn't feel the emotion. That wasn't an issue with this 2nd book. The story is told from Cooper's perspective. I'm a huge fan of the dual POV so I get a bit frustrated. Yes, the dual POV may take the "mystery" out of a burgeoning relationship, but I prefer knowing what both MC's are thinking/feeling. However, it's apparent that Park, as well as Cooper, have fee
Ami
The Wolf at Bay follows our (human) BSI agent, Cooper Dayton, and his werewolf partner (in bed and out) Oliver Park as they are heading to Cooper’s hometown of Jagger Valley, Maryland. Cooper has been avoiding his family but after his father called and reminded Cooper of his brother’s engagement party, he couldn’t say no. Unfortunately, the family time is tainted with the discovery of a dead body on Cooper’s family’s backyard, and his father become number one suspect…

After finishing the firs
⚣Michaelle⚣
Audio Review 20Mar2020: 4.2 Stars

Still having a hard time with little character differentiation in the voices, but loving how Erik narrates otherwise...especially the sex scenes!

Original Review 16Apr2019: 4 Stars

Even better than the first one; I loved how the story focused more on the MCs' relationship and Cooper's character development.

Started the 3rd one immediately after I finished.
Caz
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

Charlie Adhara’s début novel, The Wolf at the Door, was a hugely entertaining combination of paranormal romance and romantic suspense. Set in a world in which werewolves exist and have recently made themselves known to world governments, readers were introduced to the BSI (Bureau of Special Investigation) which is the division of the FBI specifically tasked with investigating werewolf-related crimes. Special Agent Cooper Dayton was seriously wounded in a werewolf attack around a year be
h o l l i s
Cooper made me want to beat my head against the wall but I enjoyed the family dynamics of this one and some of the, slowly, hard-earned peeling of Oliver's layers. Not sure I liked this better than book one but I did like it in different ways. Diving right into book three. ...more
Meep
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Re-read: still love these chsracters and impressed how Adhara manages to show them misunderstanding each other while making it real to their insecurities, understandable and not like unecessary drama.
-- --
I love this series. Rushed through it then read again with a less frazzled brain.

The mystery in this book is personal which adds emotion to the solving. It's perhaps the reveals and facing things as a family that is the most important aspect of it, though it's interesting and involving enough.
Caipi
Great mystery with enough twists and turns that kept me guessing.
Cooper and Oliver were hot together but I was also really frustrated by them for the way they circled around the big feelings-/relationship-talk, with Cooper analyzing everything endless.

Looking forward now to Thrown to the Wolves!
Jewel
I liked The Wolf at Bay a lot more than I did The Wolf at the Door. I was a touch concerned at the start when we got more of hot & cold running Cooper, but finally we see more of Cooper letting himself be vulnerable and I really liked that. Stubborn porcupine.

As for the rest, I enjoyed it. Cooper's family, the murder mystery, and the resolution. Onto book 3!

• P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
  • Cash Plays (Seven of Spades, #3)
  • Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil, #2)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • The Murder Between Us
  • Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • All Kinds of Tied Down (Marshals, #1)
Charlie Adhara loves snarky souls with a soft spot, twisty whodunits and happily ever afters. She writes contemporary, mystery, paranormal, queer romance. Or some assortment of that. Whatever the genre, her stories feature imperfect people stumbling around, tripping over trouble and falling in love. Charlie has done a fair amount of stumbling around herself, but tends to find her way back to the n ...more

Big Bad Wolf (5 books)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Cry Wolf (Big Bad Wolf, #5)