Start by marking “Death by the River” as Want to Read:
Death by the River

Death by the River

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Some truths are better kept secret.
Some secrets are better off dead.

Along the banks of the Bogue Falaya River, sits the abandoned St. Francis Seminary. Beneath a canopy of oaks, blocked from prying eyes, the teens of St. Benedict High gather here on Fridays. The rest of the week belongs to school and family—but weekends belong to the river.

And the river belongs to Beau
Published October 2nd 2018 by Vesuvian Books

Michelle
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
When you say "A high school version of American Psycho" I respond with "HELL YEAH"!!! I do love me a good psychopath.

Unfortunately this book fell flat for me.

Beau Devereaux is wealthy, the star quarterback, and the envy of everyone at St. Benedict High School. He dates the head cheerleader, Dawn. They are the picture of perfection. The only problem is that Beau is obsessed with Dawn's twin sister, Leslie, and he will stop at nothing to get her.

Everything about this should have worked for me bu
Cheryl
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really engaging and captivating read. It really kept my attention. This book is written by two authors. Yet, I could not tell where one stopped and the next one picked up. When this happens, this is a really good thing. You don't want to really tell the parts two different authors wrote; otherwise, the story has a clunky feel to it.

Beau is definitely the monster in this story. He was despised by not just the women but by me as well. This was the whole point. So that when Beau was serv
Mary Ting
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Blackwell series by Alexandrea Weis was amazing so I didn’t expect anything less from Death by the River. I was right. What a ride! Dark, twisted, heart pounding, a mind-blowing novel that will capture you from the beginning until the very last word.
Caitlin Audet
Reviewed on behalf of 3 Degrees of Fiction Book Blog

On the outside looking in, Beau Devereaux has it all. A set future to take over the family business, quarterback of the high school football team, upstanding student, and dating the cheerleading captain. With money and connections to throw around, no one has ever cared to see beyond the good guy persona. Only Leslie Moore knows better but no one believes her. Especially her twin sister, Dawn, who thinks the world of Beau when in actuality is ju
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

Holy…..whoa!! This is my first book by this macabre writing duo and I want to get my hands on everything they have written. I wasn’t sure what to expect with this book. It was like the drama of Riverdale and Pretty Little Liars mixed with American Psycho. I wanted to slowly savor this story, yet I wanted to know so much what was going to happen. I was on the edge of my seat till the very end.

Beau Devereaux is a psycho. Well on the outside he is the quintessential boy next door with
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
Death by the River will continue to haunt me. This psychological thriller left my nights tormented and my days filled with trepidation. This shocking YA masterpiece is not for the faint of heart. Despite that, or perhaps because if it, I could not put this book down. I had to know what made Beau tick.

Some truths are better kept secret.
Some secrets are better off dead.

The blurb says is best, Beau Devereaux is an “American Psycho!” His twisted sense of self worth and penchant for pain oozes from
MarytheBookLover
Review coming soon for the TOUR!! Be on the lookout! =)
Italia Gandolfo
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very few books in my career make me stop and not only think but shock the hell out of me. Death by the River is that book. Not only is it flawless in its execution, you won't see the end coming. Well written with well developed characters, the authors obviously know about mental illness and sexual assault. Alexandrea Weis's nursing background is apparent. Everyone going to high school (and college) should use this as a road map of who to be wary of. And anyone who has experienced this level of v ...more
Liana Gardner
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting to get my hands on this book. I had been hearing about it on social media, and this is the type of book that is right up my alley. Weis and Astor did a magnificent job with the character development and following the twisted mind of a psychopath. I won't leave any spoilers... just watch out for the hounds of hell.
Heather
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book that keeps you riveted. You can't wait to see what happens next. I didn't want to put it down. Karma is a bitch! Can't wait for book 2!!!
Elizabeth Isaacs
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spine-Chilling and graphic, this one definitely makes you believe in Karma! Weis does it again!
Sandy S
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DEATH BY THE RIVER by Alexandrea Weis and Lucas Astor

5 stars

About the book: Release Date October 2,2018

A High School “American Psycho”

SOME TRUTHS ARE BETTER KEPT SECRET.
SOME SECRETS ARE BETTER OFF DEAD.
And the river belongs to
Paula  Phillips
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book had me wanting to read it from the cover to the fact that it was a high school based novel as it sounded ominous and fascinating. This book takes us into the lives of twins Leslie and Dawn Moore and Beau Deveraux. Beau is the King of the school and dating Dawn but wants Leslie. He also has a dark side that he is finding it harder to contain and as you read this book, you also discover his nasty antics towards women. He thrives on the power, and as I write the review, I think Beau remin ...more
Kathy Rouchelle
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an OUTSTANDING! An absolutely captivating story line, filled with mystery and intrigue, this story will have you spell bound and will not release you from it's clutches until you reach the end...which I must say I was not expecting that ending at all. Spectacular!

This story about high school seniors waiting to finish their senior year, doing what all seniors do, study, go to football games on Friday nights, hang out and party with their friends, has one central character that is a narcissi
Justine
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
TRIGGER WARNING it contains violence and rape scenes.

description

It was chillingly dark and twisted yet tastefully done. WOW. I suggest you adding this in your October TBR now. See TW above before doing so, it may upset some readers.
Gareth
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dark, thrilling and down right scary. Everything I have come to expect from this duo. I've heard this book referred to as American Psycho in high school. Bloody perfect description.
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book! High school drama and power play - what's more fun than that? Maybe a little twin competition!! Throw in the perfect creepy high school boy super villain - you've got yourself a great thriller! A page turner from beginning to end!

Excellent character development. I really felt like I was back in high school (not a great time for me!) including all the angst that goes along with it! Loved, loved Leslie!! She was great, definitely someone I would have liked in school - an individua
Jeannette dods
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From start to finished I was enthralled in this book. Death By The River is a fascinating psychological thriller that will keep you reading all day/night. Get the snacks and prepare yourself for the emotional ride. You will not want to quit reading until you reach the end.
Amber
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Death by the River is a marvelously pulse-pounding, edge-of-your-seat dark adventure that is sure to delight, shock, and eviscerate your calm world. In one fell swoop, you find yourself ensnaring in the clutches of a burgeoning evil that is only just beginning to breathe and spread its wings. Nothing can prepare you for the ultimate thrill ride that you will find within these pages. If you think you know how it will end, I guarantee you that it won’t even come close to the climactic terror that ...more
Autumn Is Azathoth
Review: DEATH BY THE RIVER by Alexandrea Weis and Lucas Astor

Very visually and sensorily detailed, this novel also carries a powerful emotional impact and a finely-tuned background of life in a class-ridden Southern community. The town is socioeconomically lopsided, with one small nuclear family at the top, some upper-class professional families significantly lower, and then the impoverished class as the base. The community is also a sterling example of how sociopathy thrives.

What i took away fr
Jessica Bush
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stunningly horrifically beautiful. Very well told. Characters who leap alive from the beginning to end. Twists, turns, held breaths. Everything you could ask for. Well worth your time and money.
Wanda Lent
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a thriller about a psychotic man. Beau was the popular boy at school, who had a dark side. He wantes Leslie to be his girlfriend but, she wasn't interestes. The end is a nail bitter. Great book.
Karen Hrdlicka
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alexandrea Weis is a master storyteller and this book demonstrates just how well she crafts her stories. As always, the suspense is intriguing and the execution perfect. This mature YA book takes on some pretty tough subjects in a way that few writers can do. Ms. Weis captures quite clearly the evolution of a young psychopath and the devastation he leaves in his wake. The story is well-paced and well-developed, as are the characters and the setting. Her vivid descriptions of the Abbey and the ri ...more
Evelyn Sword
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved it! I wanted to kill beau. But in the end I can live with how it ended. I am a little sad can't say why due to spoilers but revenge is good! Beau has his eyes set on Leslie but she hates his guys and I dont blame her. So beau dates her twin sister just to stay close to Leslie. Bad things happen at the abbey, with a ghost in a white dress and killer dogs roaming the river. How many victims will there be, before someone puts a stop to it? This book is a page turner and it's ver ...more
Scott Roberts
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Death by the River" is an incredibly sophisticated psychological shocker. As you are drawn deeper and deeper into the darkness of the human psyche, you are all at once reminded that everyone - even the most beautiful among us - can possess inner horrors and carry hidden secrets.

Alexandrea Weis has impressed the hell out of me with her historical fiction, and when she brings that same panache for detail along with her co-author Lucas Astor, there is a true alchemy at play.
Katie Harder-schauer
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm working on writing my review now. It will be posted here after the book releases and it goes live on my blog. There were parts of the story that had me second-guessing myself quite heavily, which is always awesome on suspense.
Robyn
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beau Devereaux comes from a powerful and influential family. He is the golden boy, the star of the St benedict High School football team, he has the looks and the charm that keep him in good standing with the students, faculty and adults of his town. Beau has spent years cultivating his persona. The only person who sees right through Beau is Leslie Moore. She sees Beau for the psychopath he really is. But, can Leslie convince her twin sister, Dawn, that Beau is not who everyone thinks he is?

Beau
Christopher Garcia
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are books that require a certain sensation or moment. It’s not that they’re bad books, but that you have to be in the right space for them. In the case of Death by the River, I needed to be in the headspace to absorb the darkest of humanity, and the ways that woman are preyed upon in youth. Those two themes, which feel so of the moment in the age of True Crime and the confrontation of rape culture in the mainstream of our socio-political consciousness, play heavy in the novel, but at the s ...more
Barbara
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG OMG OMG… what an amazing read! I have absolutely no idea where to start with all the things I Loved about this book!!! Let me start by saying Huge Kudos to the authors. They have teamed up and brought us an intriguing storyline that will keep you on the edge of your seat and all but shock the heck out of you at many twist.

Beau is a very spoiled rich kid with serious problems. issues that his parents have done everything in their power to cover up because to Beau’s father, image is power. Out
Kate Avery
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well this is certainly a suspenseful and dark book. From the very start I was exceptionally intrigued by the characters and wondering how Beau’s game would play out.

The dynamic between Leslie and Beau certainly piqued my curiosity, and I wondered how he would play Leslie and Dawn off against each other or if he would be successful at it.

Beau is certainly a master of manipulation and at the start I was drawn to his scheming and his need for the perfect image. I knew he was not a nice guy but I fo
Alexandrea Weis is an advanced practice registered nurse who was born and raised in New Orleans. Having been brought up in the motion picture industry, she learned to tell stories from a different perspective and began writing at the age of eight. Infusing the rich tapestry of her hometown into her award-winning novels, she believes that creating vivid characters makes a story moving and memorable ...more