Start by marking “The Queen of Rhodia (Tales of Inthya #3)” as Want to Read:
The Queen of Rhodia (Tales of Inthya #3)

The Queen of Rhodia

(Tales of Inthya #3)

It has been sixteen months since Princess Esofi arrived in Ieflaria, and eight since her marriage to Crown Princess Adale. The princesses have a peaceful life together, preparing to become co-regents and raising their baby dragon, Carinth.

Their peace is shattered when Esofi’s mother, Queen Gaelle of Rhodia, arrives in Birsgen. She has heard about Carinth and believes that
ebook
Published May 27th 2019 by Nine Star Press

To ask other readers questions about The Queen of Rhodia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen of Rhodia

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn MuirThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonThe Hanged Man by K.D.  EdwardsThe Fever King by Victoria  LeeThe Luminous Dead by Caitlin  Starling
2019 Queer SFF
134 books — 232 voters
Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. MaasRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Queen of the Tearling by Erika JohansenThe Hundredth Queen by Emily R. KingThe Queen of Nothing by Holly Black
Queen in Title
788 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Queen of Rhodia (Tales of Inthya #3)
Lex Kent
4.25 Stars. I am happy to say that I am on a roll of good fantasy books lately. This is the third book in the Tales of Inthya series. I’m excited to see that this series just gets better and better with every book. Calvin is really hitting her stride and I can’t wait to see what will come next. While book one and two can be read in any order, I do recommend reading both books before this third installment.

After given the egg of a dragon to raise, Adale and Esofi find themselves parents to a bab
Silvia
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

4.5 stars!

I was so proud to see that the few minor issues I had with the first installment of this series were completely absent here. Not to brag but I KNEW IT and I love seeing that I was right about the writer's potential.

So, our main characters Esofi and Adale got married and are now in an established relationship and dealing with their dragon son and with the polit
F.
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Tales of Inthya series. The first, Queen of Ieflaria, introduces us to Esofi and Adale as they fall in love, fight dragons, and adopt a baby dragon. It's a great book, and I loved especially the resilient, resourceful, patience-of-a-saint Esofi.
The second book, Daughter of the Sun, is another favourite and introduces us to Palladin (knight) Orsina and goddess in disguise Aelia. Aelia the ancient chaos goddess is one of my favourite characters in ff fantasy.
I was waiting o
Bethany
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book 3 felt a bit like a "filler" story, but Calvin still kept my attention and built the world of Inthya even further. Can't wait to read more! 4 stars.
Alex
This fantasy series deserves so much love. I mean, come on! Pansexual princesses in love! Talking dragons! Goddesses and warriors! What's not to love?

The Queen of Rhodia follows the pansexual F/F couple who got together in the first book, now in an established relationship, with the F/F couple from the second book appearing as side characters.

Esofi and Adale are married now, and they never run out of things to do. Adele is finally learning how to govern from her parents, Esofi is working on esta
AnnMaree Of Oz
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
More epic adventures with dragons and royals!

Lots of action and also personal growth between our MC's.

I read it all in one sitting, as I couldn't put it down!
MZ
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really like reading these series, they keep me intrigued. The first book (the beginning of the relationship between Esofi and Adale) was a bit hard to read because of all the info about the world of Inthya, but now I’m really used to this world with all its gods and goddesses and it was also nice to see the storylines of book 1 and 2 come together.

The story picks up about 2 years after Adale and Esofi meet and adopted their baby dragon Carinth (book 1). The news about their baby dragon has fi
Kalamah
This series improves with each book, and though the pacing is still slightly off, it's a more subjective level than a notable issue. I really enjoyed the interactions between Adale and Esofi, as well as the bits of Aelia being, well, herself. Very amusing.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Gaelle's (view spoiler)
Colleen Corgel
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay, So I might have the unpopular opinion here: while this third installment has a lot going for it: the world building, complex topics, and a genuinely sweet romance that sees our leads grow, I do not think this is that strong an entry into the series. It's a really slow build up to some great scenes in the middle half of the book, almost as if the author thought we had to see a lot of struggle within the characters relationship before the external force is pushed on it. I understand for Adal ...more
Jensie
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read it all in a day! It was so nice to see Esofi and Adale again, and how close and loving their relationship is. Orsina and Aelia were charming as always, and there were plenty of breadcrumbs to see the unfolding conflict in other lands.
Queen Gaelle was a believable villain, one who leaned hard into the mother knows best trope. I could sympathize heavily with Esofi, trying to survive the gaslighting and bullying. It was cathartic to watch it all unfold, and know I wasn't the only one who has t
Jennifer Linsky
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's a part of me that wants to say, "Authors, this is how you do F/F and gender representation; take notes." But at the same time, I recognize that any one method of doing so is the wrong method if it's the only method. And that's what the self-publishing revolution has brought us -- scope. Many ways to be right.

So instead, I'm just going to say, I love Effie Calvin's characters, and Effie for creating them so delightfully.
Dannica Zulestin
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-f, quiltbag
It was fun to see the return of Adale and Esofi. This time they're raising the dragon given to them by Talcia, trying to work out diplomatic relations with the dragons of the Silver Isles now that the dragon emperor is dead, and facing Esofi's abusive and terrifying mother, Queen Gaelle. So there's a lot of stuff going on. Esofi's pretty glad that she can go and work on diplomatic relations because it gives her an excuse to run away from her mother's visit to the capital--as anyone might be. Ada ...more
Isabel ✰
This book marked an unexpected shift in the series -- I kind of assumed that this series was going to follow the typical romance series format where each book is about a new couple that are peripherally connected to one another, but it was really nice to come back to Adale and Esofi. I thought I was going to dislike the decrease in romance, but honestly, this story didn't feel lacking. It was a lot darker than its predecessors (about an abusive mother and how that abuse affected her daughter) bu ...more
XR
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Iona Sharma
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Argh, what happened? The last book in this series was a hilarious, rollicking delight that I wanted twelve more of. This is... not. The plot meanders around to not much purpose, the prose is workmanlike, the characters are sweet and engaging but they just sort of amble from place to place. I was disappointed.
Jessica DiFelice (thefanaticreader)
3.5/5 stars

I like this world and the overall plot, but I just haven't been liking these books as much as the first one. I found the fact that the princesses wouldn't talk to each other and share their feelings really annoying. I did enjoy the part when we got to the dragons though. The whole book picked up after that.
Eule Luftschloss
trigger warning
(view spoiler)

It was great to see the plots from books one and two merging, but since it was supposed to be a comfort read, I was shocked about the mother-daughter relationship that reminds me so much of stuff my mother pulls off.

Non binary and trans people are mentioned to exist but don't feature in this one.
Brennan Stidham
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful, I adore seeing Esofi and Adale continue to grow and become such beautiful people. I didn't think I could love these girls more. The world that Calvin has such a rich and expansive world. It's just... such an excellent experience and I would highly recommend the sequel to anyone.
ECH
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am in so much love with this series. I want dozens more series like this. I want this to be as overdone as GOT or LOTR. I want to curl up with this at night and write fanfic for it. I am easy for this sort of thing ok.
Anders
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a worthy sequel to this series!
This is in many ways a tougher read than the first two books, dealing with issues of parental abuse and the mental health of one of the main characters due to it. It deals with those issues well, showing the value of love and a support system when facing such issues.
I continue to love the series, and the characters, who are allowed to have flaws while being admirable and often adorable.
I will keep spending my Hugo nominations on this series :)
Amber Am's
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unfortunately reading this series a bit out of order due to wait times at the library for the 2nd book (but thankfully they are standalones so it doesn't seem to matter much). I found this to be as enjoyable as the first book!
Mia
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I love Effie Calvin's Tales of Inthya series a lot. With my whole heart. And I love a story about someone finding their way past abuse and discovering they are stronger than they thought. However if moping around and wondering what to do until something bad happens feels like its half the book then I get kind of bored. Stuff did happen sometimes, but when it wasn't happening the book would fall back to Esofi doesn't want to talk about her past and she's scared of her mother. Pacing was my bigges ...more
Sophie
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, happy times! I adore this series and really hope it's not a trilogy* because I need more books from this world in my life. Effie Calvin's writing is so good, I would read (almost) anything she writes next. I'm reading multiple books at the moment and this book just overtook everything and stole my focus/heart - I'm also reading Sanderson and Austen so if you know me you know that's saying something. So good.

The romance takes a back seat in this book but is still my favourite thing. It's no
Emily Mccullough
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well-needed sequel that fulfilled all my hopes and expectations. When I finished the first book, I was left wanting more of Adale and Esofi's relationship development and more about their life raising a dragon. It was nice to see how the two navigated the differences in their upbringings and their personalities. There was a scene, at the beginning, where the two disagreed over a discipline tactic that stemmed from Esofi's abusive upbringing. I liked how we were shown that just because Esofi is ...more
Jess Hale
May 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this for the "what happened next?" factor for both the sets of main characters in book 1 and book 2. Unfortuately it fell a bit flat for me. The focus of this book is emotional distress and conflict, but I don't know if I felt it was really resolved.

(view spoiler)
Nadia
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This third installment of the Tales of Inthya series delves into the subject of parental abuse in a big way. This might make for a more stressful read than one is used to with this series, but it serves to develop and grow the main characters in really interesting and welcome ways. As someone who has had similar experiences in real life, Esofi's character growth means a lot to me, and it feels very validating to read about.

This book is a direct sequel to the first two installments in the Tales o
Louise
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this fantasy series! Calvin somehow manages to balance really high-stakes international politics with a really low-key domestic feel.

The Queen of Rhodia takes the action back to the settings and characters from the first book, The Queen of Ieflaria, adds in the characters from Daughter of the Sun and send them off on a grand adventure to negotiate with dragons. In this instalment, Princess Esofi has to figure out which is scarier, the fire-breathing monsters or her visiting mother.

I reall
Demetria
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I’ll start by saying I love the series, that having been said, this was not my favorite entry. It wasn’t badly written I just didn’t find the arc as enjoyable as the last book.

Esofi was my favorite character in the first book, I admired her strength and pragmatism. This book delves into her upbringing and gives her more internal obstacles to overcome instead of external. However, I think how she dealt with her problems felt a little out of character, like she was a bit washed out for the sake o
Jason
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable sequel and look forward to next book

This is an enjoyable sequel and I look forward to the next book. However I agreed with Eosfi about many things and I didn’t really like Adale throughout much of the book.

I think Adale has a lot of growing up to do in both diplomacy, and many other matters.

While Eosfi does have family issues. She is much more mature and understands statecraft and diplomacy etc....

They make a good pair, but Adale has some catching up to do.

Also while the first two book
Sam
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this! I still loved the second book above the rest so far, but this was a satisfying continuation of Esofi and Adale's story, and I loved how Orsina and Elyne were weaved into their lives. I loved that we got to see more interactions between the two protagonists, and it was gratifying to watch Esofi confront her abusive mother. My only chief complaint is that I wish we got to see some events unfold rather than hearing about them through another character, especially towards the end; this ...more

• Aurora's Angel
  • Treasured
  • Soldier of Dorsa (The Chronicles of Dorsa, #2)
  • Princess of Dorsa (The Chronicles of Dorsa, #1)
  • Good Enough to Eat (The Vampire Diet, #1)
  • Nottingham: The True Story of Robyn Hood
  • Compass Rose
  • Witching Moon
  • Reaping the Benefits
  • Technically Faking
  • Temptation
  • Breaking Legacies
  • Entangled
  • Iron Heart (Crier's War, #2)
  • The Fate of Stars (Sea and Stars, #1)
  • The Inheritance
  • Changing the Script
  • The Eldritch Heart (Eldritch Heart, #1)
Effie is a human being who spends her days writing books and taking pictures of her cat and being a librarian.

She especially likes writing (and reading!) stories about fantasy worlds where LGBTQ people aren't just tolerated, they're openly embraced and seen as equals.

Tales of Inthya (5 books)
  • The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)
  • Daughter of the Sun (Tales of Inthya, #2)
  • The Empress of Xytae (Tales of Inthya, #4)
  • Daughter of the Moon (Tales of Inthya, #5)