Start by marking “Belle Révolte” as Want to Read:
Belle Révolte

Belle Révolte

Emilie des Marais is more at home holding scalpels than embroidery needles and is desperate to escape her noble roots to serve her country as a physician. But society dictates a noble lady cannot perform such gruesome work.

Annette Boucher, overlooked and overworked by her family, wants more from life than her humble beginnings and is desperate to be trained in magic. So
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by Sourcebooks Fire

Start your review of Belle Révolte
Linsey Miller
Nov 16, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey friends,

This isn't a review. I just wanted to drop some thoughts and the content warnings here to make them more visible. If you have any questions about anything or would like to know specifics, feel free to ask.

Thank you for reading and have a great end of 2019!

-Linsey

BELLE RÉVOLTE COMMENTS & CONTENT WARNINGS

This book isn’t as dark as Mask of Shadows but there is an undercurrent of alienation that follows Emilie and Annette throughout it. The society in which they live operates within
Isabella
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, lgbtq
a big thank u to FIREreads for sending me a copy of this book!!

we don't normally get a lot of stand alone fantasy books so I was really excited to read this one, especially when i heard it was about two girls (a princess and a peasant) switching lives. Yeah we've seen the trope before but i personally find it very entertaining :)

i love love LOVED the transgender & asexual representation!! it was such a lovely surprise, one that should definitely be seen more often in fantasy books. i like
The Nerd Daily
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Laura Erne

Belle Révolte was an evocative and thought provoking tale of rebellion, magic, and love. The story follows two young women divided by class but are determined to change their futures. I don’t read many YA fantasies with complex magic systems and although this was sometimes slow, I found I appreciated Linsey Miller’s take on it. Drawing a connection from magic to healing was ingenious and I found her execution original. Many times we
Iris
I received this book from Sourcebooks Fire in exchange for an honest review.

This book meant the absolute world to me. Every time I think it I'm just filled with this intense love and emotion. I could flail about this book forever, I swear. It makes me so happy (except for when it's RIPPING MY HEART OUT).

Objectively speaking, this book is far from perfect
. I think if this book hadn't hit me on so deeply personal a level, it would have been a solid four stars. Not at all a bad rating, still very
Leo
Oct 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Sooo apparently this book has ace rep and this is why I’m going to read it u.u
Bethany
We love a standalone fantasy with queer rep! Sapphic ace mc, f/f romance, sapphic side character, trans side character. Thanks to Sourcebooks Fire for sending a copy of this one. Review to come.
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
This sounds a lot like THE BELLES
USOM
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Belle Révolte is a book about girls changing the world, following their dreams, and fighting a system of exploitation. It's a book full of hope, sacrifice, and power. Belle Révolte is a book about ambition. The ways society wants to limit what we can do because of our gender or economic status. It features Annette, a biromantic ace spectrum magical MC, a talented girl who yearns to
Justine
Jan 16, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF at 20%

Sadly, this one just wasn't working for me! The concept sounded super fun and I thought it could be a good one to snuggle up with and tear through in a weekend, but I just couldn't get into it.

The pacing was completely off -- within the first 5%, Emilie is running out of her carriage and proposing to swap places with a complete and total stranger who looks like her so she can study medicine. It all happens so fast it was just completely unbelievable -- I felt like I was missing a big
✿
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
rep: sapphic ace mc, f/f romance, sapphic side character, trans side character
Caitlin Reads
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for this ARC.

This was a great fantasy novel told from the alternating views of two women who swap lives to pursue their dream. Emilie and Annette look similar but come from two very different worlds. I really loved the strong friendship in this novel and the romances were depicted well. The different magical arts and hacks were clever and innovative. This was my first Linsey Miller book and I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book but I really
Lauren
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, fantasy
Oh this book was super, duper queer as expected and I loved it!

Expected nothing less from Linsey Miller - this was just as good as Mask of Shadows. She's taken the whole 'princess swap' trope and made it her own.

I really liked the world building, a very easy fantasy to get into as it's woven into the story itself so flawlessly.

I loved all of the characters, Annette especially and her story and of course the magic involved in the story.

I think I just wanted more about the characters - a bit more
Andria Sedig
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I wanted to love this book more than I did. Revolution, gender expectations, strong female characters, magic? All things I love. But this book felt like it was trying to do too much and just fell short in a lot of ways. I found the characters to be a bit surface level and there were just too many names for me to try and keep track of; the magic system felt confusingly underdeveloped and any time there was descriptions of Annette's "divining?" I had to go back and reread what was happening ...more
Regsly
Oct 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbtq-plus
If a book has ace rep I must know about it, and I must read it
Jessie Sedai of the Black Ajah
A gender swapped Prince and the Pauper retelling with ace and trans representation set in a French inspired fantasy world. The synopsis hints at political intrigue and a magical journey of self-revelation for two girls with magical powers bound by a fate they do not accept.

Emilie is a woman of noble birth bound by societal norms and her family's wishes to study the midnight arts at a prestigious boarding school where she will hone her skills at divination, scrying, and illusion crafting.
El
review to come

large emotions about this one
iam
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Belle Révolte puts an intriguing twist to its french-revolution-vibe fantasy setting, featuring queer teens exchanging identities, going to magical schools, fighting against oppression and changing the course of a war.

Content warnings include: extremely graphic injuries and gore due to protagonist being a physician at the front during war, violence, execution and death, class difference featuring oppression, mistreatment and abuse of lower class; mentions and effects of off-page torture,
Rena
Full Review on my blog: https://hiddenbeneaththestarlight.wor...

I won this ARC in a giveaway.

I love this book. Full of interesting world-building, with a French inspired fantasy world (French royal titles like mademoiselle Royale are used, the country and culture are clearly French, but the religion is deeply different, etc.) its a story about finding yourself, your place in the world, and something worth fighting for. The magic system is interesting, and I love that over the course of the story
Yolanda
**Review to be posted on my blog on 1/23/20**

Thank you to Sourcebooks Fire and NetGalley for giving me a chance to read this eARC.

Belle Revolte is set in a French inspired world where magic use is known as the noonday arts and the midnight arts. Emilie a noble girl wants to be a physician but only men can aspire to that profession. So Emilie swaps lives with Annette a commoner who wants to elevate her station by studying the midnight arts. Emilie sneaks away to learn noon day arts and train as a
Clarissa
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq-rep, arc
Belle Révolte is a fantasy novel featuring two women who swap lives to follow their dream of studying in different fields of magic. Emilie wants nothing more than to become a physician, to be more than the noble lady her mother has been forcing her to be all her life. Annette wants nothing more than to be trained in magic, and to show her family that she is stronger than they believe she is, and that she was born to study the ways of divination.

In a world where mostly men get to train to become
I received an advance copy from the publisher via Netgalley for review purposes. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts, and opinions are my own.

Content notes:
(view spoiler)

This book is so wonderful.

Jessie Sedai of the Black Ajah

Ceciley
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
*eARC provided by NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire in exchange for an honest review*

My feelings for this book are mixed. On the surface, it seems like a great idea. A princess and the pauper style retelling in an alternate version of France just before the revolution (kinda) but also, magic. This and the gorgeous cover had me thinking it would be perfect. It was just okay.

The story is told in two POVs: Emilia, the noble lady who wants to studying healing magic and Annette, who is a poor girl
Rogier
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Belle Revolte is a re imagining of prince and the pauper In an elemental magical world. It's french inspired and set a time not yet in the French revolution of a country called Demeine. Emilie and Anette are the nobility and pauper stand ins. Emilie desperately wants to be a good force to the world and be trained and use the noon arts but she's forbidden to. She's girl of nobility, lower ranking but still of nobility and is not allowed. Ladies should be proper and not harm their bodies with ...more
Jan farnworth
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel centers around two young adults who swap lives to follow their dreams. One wants nothing more then to become a physician and to achieve things beyond those of the noble lady her mom is pushing her to be. One wants nothing more to be trained in magic and to prove that she is more then her station in life and that divination is where she will thrive.In order for this to happen Emilie hatches a desperate plan with no planning as she spots a random girl who looks enough like her that they ...more
Kelsey
Magic was the only thing that wanted me.

Holy magic system.

This was so much more fierce (and bloody) than I expected but I loved it! A real highlight that lands it on my Inspiration shelf was the creative and gorgeously-described application of the magic systems. This one definitely doesn't wait for you to catch up and the middle got a bit dizzying and tangled, but I can forgive it thanks to that stellar climax.

I loved the main characters - only problem I think would be that I loved them both
Aly
Ravencrantz
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm still without a computer so I'm not doing a full in depth review, but because this is an ARC, I want to talk about it!

I loved the magic system, and the give and take. I loved Emilie and Annette and their friendship. I loved the center around hope and how different doesn't mean Different, how working together can yield great results and the things that divide us can bring us together (and are often created by those in power to stay in power).

It did get a bit slow right before the Big Battle,
Delaney 🏳️‍🌈
Thank you Sourcebooks for the ARC. This book was wonderfully written and super entertaining. The story focuses on two girls ( Emilie and Annette) who trade places so that they can follow their dreams. However while chasing their dreams both girls discover that a revolution is coming and they both have to decide if they will stand on the right side of history even though that may cost them everything they have worked so hard to achieve.

I loved Linsey Miller’s Mask of Shadows duo and was super
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Nameless Queen
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • Reverie
  • Blood Countess
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • Prosper's Demon
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • What Kind of Girl
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)
  • The Wickerlight (The Wren Hunt, #2)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Memory Thief
Originally from Arkansas, Linsey has previously worked as a crime lab intern, neuroscience lab assistant, and pharmacy technician. She now holds an MFA in fiction and is the author of the Mask of Shadows duology and Belle Révolte. She can be found writing about science and magic anywhere there is coffee.