Start by marking “Tragedy Queens: Stories Inspired by Lana Del Rey & Sylvia Plath” as Want to Read:
Tragedy Queens: Stories Inspired by Lana Del Rey & Sylvia Plath

Tragedy Queens: Stories Inspired by Lana Del Rey & Sylvia Plath

Archetypes are real. Muses are real. Writers are the channels of these spirits & if that sounds like witchcraft that's because it is. These stories gave me chills. Sylvia Plath & Lana Del Rey course through the veins of these dark, sexy, mind-bending, fantastical, romantic, & haunting tales. Authors from different genres came together in their love &

Published April 24th 2018 by Clash Books

To ask other readers questions about Tragedy Queens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tragedy Queens

Start your review of Tragedy Queens: Stories Inspired by Lana Del Rey & Sylvia Plath
Michael Adams
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite anthologies I’ve read in a while. Deeply cathartic, sometimes emotionally devastating stories written in a great mix of styles and genres. Some faithfully referenced the poetry and biographical details of Sylvia Plath, others delved into the lyrics and moods of Lana Del Rey’s music, and some forged their own paths. The best of them combined all of these elements into a synthesis greater than the sum of its parts. All of the stories were good, many were great. Tragedy Queens ...more
Leo Robertson
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I chatted with editor Leza Cantoral about this book and more on Losing the Plot—listen here!!

Cathartic, psychedelic and brimming with torrential emotion, these expertly written stories are of their time and part of a timeless sad-girl canon pre-paved by women like Del Rey and Plath. One of the best anthologies I've read in a good while!
Ben Arzate
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, ebooks
Full Review

3.5 Stars

While I found several of the stories forgettable, I still recommend Tragedy Queens. There’s an incredible range of diverse types of stories and I think every reader will find a lot to enjoy in this anthology. The ones I enjoyed I believe are good enough to pick up this book and I believe that others who have more of an affinity for artists like Lana Del Rey and Sylvia Plath than I do will get even more out of it.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
A story collection inspired by Sylvia Plath and Lana del Rey? Ummm, color me intrigued.

There is such a wide variety of unusual stories in this collection, and I loved that. The authors all took on the theme and gave it their own unique twist with Sylvia and Lana serving as more of spiritual guides for the stories rather than taking over the tale entirely. In the best stories, it is just like you can sense their influence.

My favorite thing about reading anthologies is uncovering voices I’ve
Benoit Lelièvre
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story collections are usually grab bags full of material that work for you and full of material that gloriously doesn't and this collection's no different. What makes it more interesting that most, though is how it captured the essence of its muses Sylvia Plath and Lana Del Rey without sticking too much to their actual work. For most stories (most of the successful ones anyway) it's like their essence permeates the narrative. Sylvia and Lana are haunting this book, if you will.

Among the
Jeanine
eeee i was giddy when i found this and still giddy after finishing it...yes I am obsessed with LDR and the idea of a "queen of sadness" and apparently I am not alone in this sickness. I enjoyed all of the stories very much, with a few exceptions being that the writing was way obscure or it was more plath than lana. I am more into lana, but clearly after reading this need to venture into plath. I will read some ariel next.
There are 23 stories and was thinking of my favorite(s), there are 14 that
Alexandra Bowie
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

Out of the 24 short stories I loved almost every single one, they are inspired by Lana Del Rey and Sylvia Plath (though in my opinion more so Plath than Lana) and were written beautifully. I did find myself hoping that we would see some stories inspired by Lana's songs as I'm a huge fan. There was one story by Laura Diaz de Arce where the ending of the story reminded me of the song 'Ride' which I enjoyed. I also liked that some stories involved lesbian and transgender
Emily
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-tbr
"All I want is my loneliness and my dreaming and my want to be realized." -Lisa Marie Basile

3.5

I was so excited when I heard about Tragedy Queens! I adore Sylvia Plath and Lana Del Rey, and I love that so many authors were inspired by them. The idea for this anthology is amazing.

Unfortunately, my experience with reading it was kind of uneven. There are some amazing stories in here, but there are many that I couldn't connect with. I think I may have expected something different, and that led to
Teresa Petro
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This collection is both riveting and visceral, and the stories do justice to their muses. A few stories were sci-fi, a few were timeless, and all of the stories were harrowing in some way. My favorites in this book were fantastical, dreamlike, and deeply cerebral. If I had to choose one word to describe the collection as a whole, it would be haunting.
Lisa of LaCreeperie
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf-shelf
Sigh...there is a reason I don't (for the most part) read modern books. I find that most modern authors lack subtlety and finesse.
I really wanted to enjoy this, as the concept is genius. But I found it severely missing the mark, even a little offensive. I'm no prude, but does everyone nowadays only "fuck". Or rather, is that the only word used for it these days? Perhaps it was a requisite for making it into this collection.
Not a spoiler per se, but if you have squeamish sensibilities or
Luxa
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
While there were a couple knockout stories in here- Crazy Mary and Sphinx Tears especially- this anthology usually fell into the tropes of Lana Del Rey and Sylvia Plath rather than truly exploring their worlds. Some of the stories, like Corinne and Dayglo Reflection, reeked of misogyny somewhere deep inside, while many of them, like Because of Their Different Deaths and Dayglo Reflection (again), were just poorly written. The biggest problem was the editor, who missed typos throughout and ...more
Kamryn Koble
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I bought this interesting anthology of short stories purely because of Lana Del Rey and Sylvia Plath on the front cover. They feature a wide range of topics, all controversial, tragic, and jarring.

The collection is a bit eclectic, and honestly, none of the pieces stand out to me as profoundly moving. They work efficiently together, but would not stand separately.

Most of them picked a controversial topic or focus, but the topic was more important than any other aspect of storytelling.

I don’t
Stephanie A
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never been a fan of books that are a collection of small stories buuut I liked this one! Def feeds my inner dark girl! I found I enjoyed the last few stories (14-23), with my faves being Sphinx Tears by Cara DiGirolamo, The Wife by Victoria Dalpe, and Because of Their Different Deaths by Stephanie Wytovich! Did take breaks reading one!
Tiffany Morris
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: 2018, horror
I don't usually review books that I'm in, but this anthology is truly everything the title promises: lush prose, abstract tragedy, beautiful revenge. I loved every story and am so honoured to share this space with these amazing writers.
David
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melancholic and bloody, raging and mournful, there’s so many things going on in this anthology, but it’s all wonderful work. I’ve been looking forward to reading this one for a while, and nothing disappointed. Excellent from first to last.
Megan Assalone
Standouts for me: Crazy Mary, The Lazarus Wife, Stag Loop, The Wife, Panic Bird, and Because of Their Different Deaths (would love this as its own book). These stories made it worth the read for me.
M. B.
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Overall, this collection wasn't for me, but I would give higher ratings to some of the individual stories, particularly "Stag Loop," "Loose Ends: A Movie," and "The Land of Other."
S.J. Budd
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this! So much talent in here, each story was really different, something in there for everyone. I hope to see a lot more stories form these writers in the future!
Laudan
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
(Mostly) False Advertisement.
First, let me clear about something. I had high hopes for this book based on the title alone. Inspired by Lana Del Rey and Sylvia Plath-- it sounded like a dream come true. And while there are a few (very few) really captivating stories, the overall compilation leaves me feeling confused. 80% of the stories don't seem inspired by Lana Del Rey and if they're going for Sylvia Plath was dark and depressed in her life and in her writing style-- and the stories are all
Jennifer Camacho

• Literary Witches: A Celebration of Magical Women Writers
  • Baby
  • A Cosmology of Monsters
  • The Last Séance: Tales of the Supernatural
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • The Only Good Indians
  • Harvest Home
  • The Reddening
  • The Pale White
  • Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Sudden Traveller
  • Night of the Living Deadpool (The Living Deadpool, #1)
Lisa Marie Basile is the founding creative director of Luna Luna Magazine, and the author of "Light Magic for Dark Times," and "Wordcraft Witchery: Writing for Ritual, Manifestation, and Healing" (forthcoming).

She's also the author of a few poetry collections, including the recent "Nympholepsy." She has written for The New York Times, Chakrubs, Narratively, Catapult, Sabat Magazine, Venefica,