Start by marking “The Unemployed Fortune-Teller: Essays and Memoirs” as Want to Read:
The Unemployed Fortune-Teller: Essays and Memoirs

The Unemployed Fortune-Teller: Essays and Memoirs

Provides glimpses into the origins of Charles Simic's poetry
Published February 15th 1995 by University of Michigan Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Unemployed Fortune-Teller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unemployed Fortune-Teller

Michael
Aug 07, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful read! This collection of brilliantly written essays by the poet Simic is a delight. From the beginning to the end, each piece is brilliantly crafted. He writes of his life in the war - as a member of the military police in France. He writes of the tomatoes of his neighbors. He writes his thoughts on food and poetry. Beautiful little pieces - each one different. Each one a a gift waiting to be unwrapped. I loved this. I’m very glad I read it. I bought it new from Amazon in this m ...more
Fred
Dec 28, 2007 Fred rated it it was amazing
these books are so satisfying to go back to - he writes about history and writing and politics and it sounds like a late-night conversation with your uncle rather than a lecture. He's no bullshit and all bullshit. There are selections from his notebooks, little snippets, that KILL. Simic's Poets on Poetry titles are must-haves.
Scott Stambler
Feb 10, 2008 Scott Stambler rated it it was amazing
tun to any page and you can't stop reading.

prose from the nobel laureate ain't bad either.

reminds me of eb white but another dimension of experience.

post world war 2 stories from france are phenomenal.

inspires the writer within.

Barb
Jun 03, 2008 Barb rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: surrealist poets and tomato enthusiasts.
Runs the gamut from bawdy peasant poetry to genetically-engineered tomatoes. I feel like I just had a very long and strange conversation with Charles Simic over dinner.
Dana Jerman
Jan 14, 2012 Dana Jerman rated it really liked it
I think Simic is so sexy. Sexy philosopher.
Lauren
Oct 07, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I had this on one bookshelf or another from sometime around my sophomore year of university to now, and I hadn't done more than skim it. Reading through all of the essays in a few days was probably a little much to compensate for ignoring it for so long (and the essays start to overlap a bit, too), but I figured I somehow owed it to Mr Simic, who wrote my favourite poem ever.

Anyway. There are beautiful, lovely things in here, and horrible beautiful things and sometimes it's just more text about
Bob
May 24, 2008 Bob rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Essays and memoirs by Charles Simic. Not particularly memorable for me. If you have an interest in Simic, you'd probably like it.
Roxane Beth Johnson
Still reading this one, actually. The little essays are anecdotal, sometimes, but really informative. I love Simic, so it's hard to complain even when he's imperfect.
cold green tea
cold green tea rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2008
Stefene Russell
Stefene Russell rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2008
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2009
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2007
Neil
Neil rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2007
Kay Yamasaki
Kay Yamasaki rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Trent Hill
Trent Hill rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
J.F.
J.F. rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2007
Carolyn Cooke
Carolyn Cooke rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
David Karpel
David Karpel rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2011
Stephen Alexander
Stephen Alexander rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Simeon Berry
Simeon Berry rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2007
Ioanna
Ioanna rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2014
Joshua Stewart
Joshua Stewart rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2007
James Tribble
James Tribble rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2012
Fallon
Fallon rated it really liked it
May 15, 2010
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2011
Damion Huntoon
Damion Huntoon rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2014
E.
E. rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2010
Rick Bursky
Rick Bursky rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
BillyBlog
BillyBlog rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Charles Simic (born Dušan Simić) is a Serbian-American poet and the 15th Poet Laureate of the United States. He is co-Poetry Editor of the Paris Review. Simic is the 2007 recipient of the Wallace Stevens Award from the Academy of American Poets. This $100,000 (US) prize recognizes outstanding and proven mastery in the art of poetry.
More about Charles Simic...

“One writes because one has been touched by the yearning for and the despair of ever touching the Other.” 25 likes
“In their effort to divorce language and experience, deconstructionist critics remind me of middle-class parents who do not allow their children to play in the street.” 10 likes