Start by marking “Our Marching Band” as Want to Read:
Our Marching Band

Our Marching Band

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Ralph loves the tuba. Maureen fancies the flute. Betsy likes the glockenspiel, and for Calvin it's the drum. Belinda prefers the trombone, Harry craves a clarinet, and Sam longs for a saxophone. And then there's Mae McCall-a natural born leader with a baton. What's a group like this to do? Form a marching band, of course. It's not all beautiful music at first-when the kids ...more
Published July 23rd 2001 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Our Marching Band, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Marching Band

Luisa Knight
A fun way to introduce children to various instruments in a marching band. And if your kids get inspired and want to learn how to play one, this book appropriately conveys that it takes a little practice to be good too. *wink*

Ages 5+

Cleanliness: one picture spread is a Halloween scene with trick-or-treating, ghosts, vampires etc.
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A bunch of kids each take up different instruments and resolve to create a marvelous marching band. At first the adults around them are driven crazy by the dissonance, but with practice and perseverance, the kids make themselves into a first class marching band.

Great illustrations - Dex (2 years old) loved the boys with the big drum. He marched around the room banging on his own big drum after reading this.
Samantha Ferrari
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is so cute! The rhymes are well thought it and detailed while teaching childrn instruments. I like this book because it not only teaches about the instruments but also about dedication and hard work.

Learning Experience: I'll bring in a nuñber of instruments and let the.children play with them and learn about them. They will then choose an instrument to practice with and make a song.
Oct 12, 2012 rated it liked it
When all the girls and boys in the neighborhood take up musical instruments, at first they produce awful tones, but after much practice they are able to come together as a marching band that brings brassy, classy fun.
June Pecchia
Joyous story of the genesis of a community marching band. The tone is matter-of-fact; the feeling is that there is an unstoppable momentum that leads to a marching band composed of individuals, each pursuing an instrument of choice.
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is Isaac's all time favorite book right now. We keep checking it out again and again - I think it may be time to invest in our own copy. :) I like it too - but I am not obsessed like he is. He loves the pictures and all of the instruments.
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
A fun book in verse about a group of kid musicians. Perfect for bringing literature into music class.
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a former marching band member, I thought this book was pretty cute. It could apply to about an band I've been a part of, with starting by sounding horrible and gradually getting better.
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Set in verse and fun and funny to read- what's not to love?
May 10, 2014