Start by marking “Second Chance” as Want to Read:
Second Chance

Second Chance

Everyone deserves a second chance.

Nate and his teenage daughter need a fresh start, so they move back to the village where he grew up. Nate’s transgender, and not used to disclosing his history, so it’s hard living where people knew him before. When Nate reconnects with Jack—his best friend from school and unrequited crush—his feelings return as strong as ever.

Jack’s r
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 240 pages
Published April 20th 2018 by Jaybird Press

To ask other readers questions about Second Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Chance

Start your review of Second Chance
Judith
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc, transgender
"Everyone deserves a second chance."

This felt like a very personal story from Jay Northcote, that is beautiful written.

Jack and Nate find themselves back in the same town they grew up in when they were young,each having their own personal reasons for being there.A chance encounter between the two men is set to turn their lives around....

You,see....they have history.Back when they were teenagers they were best friends,inseparable...but back then things were different.Jack was coming to realize he was gay and Nate was Nat and had always been in love with Jack,

"IJack,
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I have a checkered history with Jay Northcote books, full of ups and downs, and when that happens I try to retreat a bit as to not keep reading an author that hasn't panned out for me. However, I LOVE a book with a trans MC, so I couldn't resist picking this one up. It turns out, it was a very good decision.

I read books with trans MCs written by any author, but I've noticed that trans books by trans authors are by far my favorite. Those authors's stories tend to feel more authentic to me, or perhaps t
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
While Second Chance is not autobiographical, it is personal, and I think that's why it feels so authentic.

Nate's struggles with his gender identity, his worry that he wasted so much time living as his inauthentic self, rang true. Nate is a very real character: a great dad, good son, fairly secure with himself but with moments of anxiety about not fitting in.

When Nate and Jack rediscover their friendship (Jack and Natalie were best friends in high school), Jack wants to know why Nate cut off all
Jay Northcote
Mar 28, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
The idea for this one came to me a year or so ago and I'm happy that it finally came to fruition. I enjoyed writing another book with a trans main character.
I hope you'll like it if you decide to give it a try :)
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

Again, like Starting from Scratch, this book is important and authentic seeing as how Northcote most likely brings to this work some real life challenges, emotions, and triumphs to this story.

And again, I wouldn't want to just focus on that particular aspect because in the grand scheme of things it matters very little because love is love is love.

This is literally all about a second chance at life, friendship, and finding that special someone to share all with, and though a bit more serious
Meags
3.5 Stars

Low on the unnecessary drama, this relationship-focused second chance story is full of positive vibes and features what is probably the most honest and edifying transgender representation I’ve read in the romance genre to date.

The story follows the naturally evolving relationship between protagonists and old friends Jack and Nate, both of whom are in their mid-forties and have, for differing reasons, both found themselves back in their small hometown looking for fresh starts.

Jack
Cadiva
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Awesome, awesome book from Jay - which is all about finding your true self, living an authentic life - and finding that the one who stole your heart as a teenager not only still has it, but is willing to hand theirs over too.

It's authentic and at times it reads harsher than the norm because it's not just your typical romance where guy meets guy, guy falls for guy, there's a bump in the road and then all ends well - although fear not all that does happen here too!

There's p
Barbara➰
This is my first FTM trans book and it was quite interesting. It's also my first Jay Northcote book. You can tell he knows what he is talking about. Though he has stated this isn't an autobiography it obviously has truth in it.

Nate used to be Nat growing up. Jack and Nat were best friends but Nat's feelings run deeper than Jack's. The two reconnect after both experience life events that push them to living with their parents in their hometown.

This really grabbed me from p
River
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I read the blurb for this story I knew that I had to read it.
Jay wrote my favorite book that has a trans character so I wanted to know what would be the take on an older man, I am happy to say that I was not disappointed.

I have so much love and respect for this author, this book was just so nice.
Representation is always important and when it's accompanied by a well-written story and a beautiful HEA, It's a complete win.

The main characters knew each other when they were young and we
.Lili.
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

I know that I was pretty critical of Jay Northcote's last book Pretty in Pink, but that's because I know he can write like how he did here in Second Chance. Second Chance by Jay Northcote is a friends to lovers, second chance story.

Nate and Jack were best friends growing up but through the years lost touch. Nate is a transgender man who recently moved back to his childhood town along with his daughter. Jack has recently moved back as well. Both have relocated to start over.

What I loved:

-Friends to lovers
Ariana
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
This is real, genuine and feels totally authentic.
Jay Northcote simply knows what he is talking about. And it shows. I think books like this educate at least as much as they entertain.

We do not only get a great second chance romance but also find out what being a transgender man means - how Nate feels about about his body and himself, what effects him, how he deals with the world around him and so much more. Yes, we do get a down to earth insight into the sexual part as well, but it is si
Ele
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
*3.75 stars*

It is never too late to get your second chance.

It's never too late to reconnect with old friends. It's never too late to go after your first love. And it's certainly never too late to make your body match your sense of self.

This was the message that stayed with me after reading Second Chance, and one of the things I liked the most about the book. Both characters are above the age of 40. There is no rule saying that you have to have everything figured out in your 30s. Life happen/>It
Denise H.
***A British romance with a twist.***
I have learned new terms, and a better understanding of transgender folks. We get lessons on differences, and on how to please a partner and give them what they need.
Nate, 45, formerly Natalie, is a cisgender, which is explained well. He has a teen daughter, Cass, and they are in his home town staying with his mum. Jack, 45, was his best friend in school, and is staying with his folks while he straitens out his messy life. We see flashbacks of these two as kids. Once Jack realizes who N
Karen
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up...because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and while I don't round up often on the 1/2 stars to me this one was worth it.

There are so many reasons why we love the books we love...

and one of the biggest reasons that I loved this one is right there in the title...'Second Chance'...we all want them...need them and mostly we deserve them and this book is about just that second chances...so many second chances for so many people.

First there's Nate and Jack. Childhood friends
Rachel Emily
Jay writes such wonderful romances, and I think that you can tell that this one is very personal to him. I think when a trans author writes about trans characters, there is such realism to them, for obvious reasons, that it really brings it to another level. I'll be honest in saying that I don't know a whole lot about transitioning, the terminology, etc. but this book does a great job of explaining things, talking about it in an adult and positive manner, and also? The sexy-times are hella HOT! ...more
Eloise
Your typical (predictable) angsty Adult (though the characters were 45 they almost sounded like young adults) m/m romance with a very nice family element too.
Kudos for having a trans main character, which allowed part of the story to focus on a very positive trans guy sex life and various other topics we don't often see.
Chris, the Dalek King
Once best friends, Jack and Nate are barely more than strangers when they meet again after both having moved back to their home village. Not that Jack knows that he is talking to his childhood best friend when the man approaches him; because growing up Jack’s best friend was named Nat, not Nate. All Jack knows is that a rather handsome, kind, man was willing to reach out to him and not judge him for the depression still clinging to him. Even after he finds out that Nate is the same person who wa ...more
Neta
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So this book basically had checked all my boxes, and I read it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down!
I have so much to say about this book! First of all, I love all of Jay Northcote's books, and his writing style is unique and always makes for a great read and re-read.
I have been anticipating this book for so long, ever since he talked about writing it because I loved his book 'Starting from Scratch' that also had a Trans man MC, and I felt it was one of his best books yet. I
Karen
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that compelled me to keep reading, long after I should have been asleep.

Set in a small village, with two men in their 40s, who for different reasons are both back living in their parents’ homes, it is beautifully paced, and has all the small but quintessentially British details that are such a hallmark of Jay’s books.

Nate, who has transitioned into the man he’d always been, is wary of Jack, who was his long term childhood crush, not wanting to lay his hear
Lelyana
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, mm, 2018, from-author

Everyone deserves a second chance.

It's amazing how some stories documenting a journey of some people in real life. Who said we need to separate art from life? At some aspects, yes of course. But many stories, fictions, romance, name it, are usually based on true story.
I believe that 'tell your story' has a very strong influences in this world, and how stories you tell change the world, or change people's perspective or how people sees life in general.

This book, for example, wanted it or
Maygirl7
This isn’t a bad book but it just never really grabbed my attention. Life is too short and there are too many books on my iPad to spend time on one that I’m forcing myself to focus on.
Ginger
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was okay, but I was pretty bored by the 40% mark. Northcote is big on using sex as the plot of their books, and I didn't particularly enjoy the sex scenes in this book. Nate is bossy and demanding (not in the hot way) and comes across as pretty selfish. Also, both men are in their late forties and living with their parents, which made it hard to take them seriously. The hospital scene with the daughter was really contrived, especially as it was resolved in the blink of an eye, and the ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

A beautiful and unique love story, Jay Northcote seems to have put so much of himself into this book that it brought the characters, especially Nate, to life and gave me a deep appreciation of the struggles many transgender persons face in daily situations that some of us simply take for granted.

Nate and his teen daughter, Cass, return to his hometown to live with his mother until
Sali
ARC RECEIVED FOR HONEST REVIEW
First, I usually hate the second chance trope but I love friend to lovers/best friend to lovers trope and here, it works well.
Nate and Jack were best friend when they were teen.
Nate had a huge crush on Jack. Years went on and they lost contact. Now in their forties, they meet again when they both decided to moved back to their hometown.
The story is really interesting and poignant. A trans character who meet again someone who knew him as the "old her".
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
loved it! and I knew it, Jay Northcote is a guarantee!
this book felt very real and I enjoyed it a lot. the mcs were lovable (especially Nate), and also the secondary ones were well characterized.
the HEA was the icing on the cake.
(and don't forget the steam 😉)
Elizabeth
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Felt so real. Everything about the book felt authentic, down to the sex scenes. Very romantic in an everyday life kind of way. Real characters dealing with everyday struggles. Such a good book and I particularly enjoyed the glimpse into the trans world.
Hazee
Oh wow. Mr. Jay does it again. Wow. The struggles of being trans and the insecurities Nate felt were dealt with so well. It clearly shows how personal this was for the author. Wow.! This had the best plot-line I’ve read in a while with the BFFs reconnecting thing. Had the sweetness and the history between the MCs right down to the T. Perfect romance. ♥ ...more
Alex
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
I enjoy second chance stories if there’s a good ‘redemption’ of the character so that they actually deserve one. Not if they get some bullshit excuse and all. But this book made it so much better because, as far as I understood it, it was both the second chance for Nate and for Jack, in their life in general and in their relationship.

Sometimes I find stories with FTM characters a bit hard to read because there are so many emotions that I identify with. I can’t say what the stories ar
Alice
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, fiction
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

When Jay talked about the rough idea of writing this story I was imidiately hooked and wanted to read is ASAP. I'm therefore more than happy to be able to read this story because it was a solid piece of writing and as amazing as the other books.

This book is a really touching one. We have Nate, a forty-five single living dad, raising his teenage daughter while living with his mother in his hom
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Scrap (The Bristol Collection, #3)
  • A Taste of Honey
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • Dissonance (Blue Notes, #6)
  • Snow on the Roof
  • Color of You
  • Fair Isn't Life
  • Out! (The Shamwell Tales, #3)
  • Inhaling Smoke
  • Spirit
  • Blowing Off Steam
  • Man of the Match
  • The Legend of the Apache Kid
  • Dear Mona Lisa...
  • The Bones of Our Fathers
  • Spindrift
  • Groom of Convenience (Scandalous Whispers of the Remmington Realm, #1)
  • Dragon's Eye (Sumeria's Sons, #5)
I don't hang out on Goodreads much, so if you'd like to connect with me then Twitter, Facebook or an email is usually best :) All my contact details are on my website.

Jay lives just outside Bristol in the West of England. He comes from a family of writers, but always used to believe that the gene for fiction writing had passed him by. He spent years only ever writing emails, articles, or website
“balance is all off. I’m up to my neck where he’s still only knee-deep.” 0 likes