Start by marking “Dawn Raid (My New Zealand Story #28)” as Want to Read:
Dawn Raid (My New Zealand Story #28)

Dawn Raid

(My New Zealand Story)

"Imagine this: You're having an amazing family holiday, one where everyone is there and all 18 of you are squeezed into one house. All of sudden it's 4 o'clock in the morning and there's banging and yelling and screaming. The Police are in the house pulling people out of bed ..."

Like many 13-year-old girls, Sofia's main worries are how she can earn enough pocket money to
Published March 1st 2018 by Scholastic New Zealand Limited (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Dawn Raid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn Raid

Start your review of Dawn Raid (My New Zealand Story #28)
Deimosa Webber-Bey
I fell in love with the cover, but it is what inside that brought me to happy tears. I would recommend this book for a tween who is finding their voice in the world, for a Social Studies teacher to pair with lessons about the Black Panthers and the American Indian Movement, and to anyone interested in contemporary novels about the diaspora of indigenous experiences throughout the world. This is also a great read-alike for The Revolution of Evelyn Serrano, by Sonia Manzano, and If I Ever Get Out ...more
Desna
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid read about racism, stereotyping, media manipulation and an awful part in NZ history. Latest book in the My New Zealand Story books.
Julia Smith
Fabulous story, ticked all my boxes.
An essential addition to every school library in New Zealand
MissStan
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very quick read about an important part of NZ's history. This is set in 1976 and it is so 1976! I loved reading about the time - MacDonald's opens, milk runs, the price of items, movies, TV shows, music and the political situation of the time. As I was reading, I did wonder that a lot of the references would be totally lost of the kids in this generation. However there is a great section at the back that fills in the reader. Those who lived in the 70s will really enjoy the references - lots of ...more
Estée Kyle
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a significant read about the injustices faced by Polynesian people in New Zealand book in the 70s. This book teaches the bias connotations the media forces upon us and how this can skew the public opinion. This book taught me that the 70s in New Zealand saw people fighting for equality, recognition and honesty which I did not know about this little country :)
Kathryn
A wonderfully telling diary by a capable, confident 13 year old female with a loving family, growing up in 1976 in a gloriously sunny Porirua.

Yes, it's a children's book but I'm highly recommending for the 1970s pop culture references and for the clear-eyed view of the social and political climate of the time. If every NZer over 40 read it then I think we'd all clear up a lot of misunderstandings pretty quickly.
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic to have a book for young people written about this barely known (to them anyway) shameful part of Aotearoa's history. My sons (12 and 9) were engrossed and one night when I tired of reading aloud the 9 year old carried on reading it outloud to his older brother. They were shocked in parts at the unenlightened attitudes of 1970's NZ. Which sadly still exist in some parts of NZ today...This book should be in all NZ school libraries!
Cal Greaney
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
So much to like about this book - recommend it for all young New Zealanders.
And for a more... mature person...this is such a nostalgia filled booked; what it was like growing up in NZ in the 70s/80s with only two TV channels and before the internet!
MissSmith
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Room 26 loved listening to this book set in the 70s. We had lots of discussion about what life was like for kids at that time, and we had lots of questions about the Polynesian Panthers and why they were needed in New Zealand. We could all relate to Sofia having to present her speech, and her ongoing drama with her brothers. I would recommend this book to kids aged 10+, for anyone who is interested in history in New Zealand and wants to learn a bit more about life for kids in the 1970s.
Linley
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A valuable addition to the wonderful My NZ Story collection. This was a very dark period in NZ history and good to read about it from a teen point of view. I'd forgotten about chop suey, so it was fun going back in time!

Highly recommended to teen readers.
Zech Soakai
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An awesome book that uncovers NZ’s a small part of NZ’s long tail of racism and discrimation through the lens of an adolescent. Can’t wait to teach this to my students
Bookrapt
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
In this latest addition to the My New Zealand Story series from Scholastic, young readers are confronted by the sometimes brutal actions of the police in what became known as the Dawn Raids which targeted Pacific Island overstayers. While author Pauline (Vaeluaga) Smith has created fiction based on fact, she has also included some people in the story from amongst those she interviewed during her research, adding an authentic touch. Likewise the diary format and the school speeches are techniques ...more
Kate
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I grew up in Porirua in the 70s and 80s, and this brought back many memories of the city in those times, and the political events of the time. Some of the language is more reflective of today than then - we would never have talked about Aotearoa/New Zealand; and as is said at the end, kids would never have challenged parents in the way shown.
I can see many many conversation starters here for kids today.
Jeanna Rodgers
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Fantastic read and lots of great memories from my own childhood. However, lots that I was unaware of so this helped fill some gaps in a history I never knew about.
Cassandra
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
I consider myself a well-educated NZ teen, and I thought I vaguely knew most of the events in the last few decades. Yet this book covers an event I never knew about. So I'm very glad I read it, and it cements my approval of David Lange and hatred of Muldoon - I mean I knew he was bad, but that ad! Ugh.

It's very interesting to cover the Polynesian Panthers in detail and remind us that not all gangs are bikie gangs.

Anyhow this is a great addition to the My New Zealand Story books and I recommend
Lucy
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dawn Raid is a good book if you feel like something easy to read over a weekend. It is informative about life in the 1970s for Pacific Islanders and Maoris in New Zealand, for it includes information about dawn raids and the corrupt deportation system they had in those times. It really makes you think after reading it which, for me, means it's a good book. Although I enjoyed it, the plot was kind of confusing. You expect there to be a huge climax, where there is (kind of) at one stage, but ...more
Michelle Mj
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant piece of NZ literature. Even cooler considering the author is a local. I learnt more from this book than I did from 13 years of mainstream pakeha centric education in Aotearoa. These are important stories that need told and shared! Wonderful read, informative, educational and entertaining! Faafetai Pauline!
Romany
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very important book written in the style of a 13 year old girl’s diary.
Duy Pham
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-books
This book is so good that I even tell my mom to buy it for me!!! I hope that one day soon my mom will buy me the Grace book that Miss Smith is reading to us(Room 26)!!!
Michelle

• Toffee
  • He'll Be Ok: Growing Gorgeous Boys Into Good Men
  • The Most Difficult Thing
  • See Ya, Simon
  • Tamar (Tamar Deane Trilogy #1)
  • When the Kehua Calls
  • The Dog Runner
  • Player One: What Is to Become of Us (CBC Massey Lectures)
  • Kura Toa: Warrior School
  • Going Up is Easy
  • The Long Way
  • South Sea Vagabonds: A New Zealand Classic Adventure of the Sea
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times on Television

My New Zealand Story (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Bastion Point 507 Days on Takaparawha, Auckland, 1977-78: My New Zealand Story
  • Earthquake: The Diary Of Katie Bourke, Napier, 1930 31 (My Story S.)
  • Cyclone Bola: Gisborne, 1988 (My New Zealand Story)
  • Lighthouse Family (My New Zealand Story)
  • Harbour Bridge:  My New Zealand Story
  • Pandemic: Spanish Flu, 1918 (My New Zealand Story)
  • Here Come the Marines, Warkworth, 1943 (My New Zealand Story)
  • Gold! Otago, 1862 (My New Zealand Story)
  • Abandon Ship! : the Diary of Debbie Atherton, Wellington, 1968