Start by marking “Exploration (Kinky in the City, #1)” as Want to Read:
Exploration (Kinky in the City, #1)

Exploration

(Kinky in the City #1)

The reluctant manager of his family’s restaurant, Frankie attempts to live up to the legacy of his father and grandfather. Running a business that isn't his passion and trying to do it without asking for help leaves him turning to less-than-legal means when he wants to surrender control.

Newly divorced, Calvin no longer lives in the closet, leaving him searching for what he
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 224 pages
Published April 24th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Exploration, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exploration

Ky
The title, the blurb and the cover all looked very promising, but unfortunately the story didn't deliver for me...

The beginning of the book was good and there was a big Italian family with strong bonds and even stronger opinions that it was fun to read about. I liked Calvin's friend Eli, even though he didn't have too much page time, and all four of Frankie's brothers. I liked that one of the MCs was a single dad who had a great relationship with his ex-wife and they had managed to remain friend
Cadiva
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5*

I liked this one but it did take me longer to get into than I thought it would as, on paper, the blurb had lots of my favourite tropes.

I think perhaps, a part of that is that this is very much exploration of kink for both Calvin and Frankie. So there's no full on scenes really, they muddle their way through trying to work out what each of them wants and needs from the relationship.

Which is great in that it's probably far more realistic than a lot of BDSM stories I've read, also meant it was
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book, but my overall emotion is enjoyment. Why? Because I'm a kinky, kinky lady and this was a super light version of domestic discipline/daddy kink, even if it isn't quite framed as such.

Quinn Ward is a newbie author, but I like the way their mind works. The story was sweet with strong family element (lots of sequel potentials) and a nice into into a kind of kink that is right up my alley. However, the storytelling itself wasn't always smooth sailing.

F
DarienMoya
This is my first book by Quinn Ward, and I actually enjoyed quite well. While I was expecting a little more from a series called “Kinky in the City” I found it enjoyable enough.

When Calvin discovers his roommate is giving out blowjobs in a storeroom and being paid for it, he can’t help but be shocked but also a bit turned on to see Frankie on his knees. First, he shouldn’t be thinking of his young roommate in any form of a sexy manner but something about Frankie gets his juices going, and if Fr
Tracy
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 stars. This was a cute low angst read. It very much had the same feel to it as a M.A Innes book. The kink wasn't quite kinky enough for me and the whole thing was a little bit too sweet and soft. I'll still read the rest of the series tho x
Emily Seelye
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, m-m, age-gap, bdsm
4.5 ✨

I loved this May/December romance between roommates who decide to explore their kinkier sides. Calvin is recently divorced and pretty new to BDSM and after accidentally walking in on Frankie and a trick in the storage room at his friends bar, sees a need in the other man he can hopefully help fill.

I liked that while the series is called Kinky in the city, the book wasn’t singularly focused on kink. While I am still unclear as to what Calvin does for a living, we do see the men in their ev
Calila
Decent story, but I was pretty bored. There's nothing I can really say was "wrong", but I just didn't fully connect ever. I liked the characters for the most part, though I found myself getting annoyed by Calvin on behalf of Frankie. I get the wanting to take care of someone, but that's a far cry from treating someone as incapable of living life. It felt suffocating to read. That's a little strong, but it's close to what I mean. Just let him be grown, dang. But whatever, it was their thing. I ju ...more
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
Copy received from author for an honest review

I was lucky enough to read this as it was being written.

And boy was I lucky! I adore the dynamic between Frankie and Calvin, and like Cal, I fell head over heels for Frankie.

I don't want to give anything away about this story, as I feel the reader needs to dive into this book a bit blind and just let yourself go - along with these lovely men.

This is a bit steamier than Quinn Ward's alter egos books - and me likey!

I can't wait for everyone to get thei
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
-Megan, 4 stars

Frankie has a high stress job running his family restaurant and being in charge of everything it entails. Calvin is living his life on his own terms and being the best dad to his hockey-playing son that he can be.

He offers Frankie a room for rent and everything seems to be working out well between the two. But when Calvin finds Frankie on his knees for another man, Calvin is immediately concerned about his roommate. He can see that Frankie is not taking care of himself and Calvin’
Lisa
I really enjoyed reading this friends to lovers romance . There was little to no drama with a slight domineering kink.

Freddie is looking for something and he doesn’t know what until he is caught by his house mate on his knees giving some random guy a bj. His life is hectic running the family business is the last thing he needs he just needs some one to take care of him he just dose not realise it yet.

Calvin was married with a child when he realised that he was gay. He always had that need to d
Tanja
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story very much. Knowing this author, it was everything I wished for: sexy, fun, and romantic. However, reading the blurb, I expected more BDSM elements and kinkiness, but it is rather mild, though.
Against his wishes, Frankie has taken over the family restaurant, and it is stressing him out. His way to relieve the tension is not the healthiest, but he can’t seem to find another way. That is until roommate, Calvin, starts to see Frankie in a different light. He sees beyond Frankie’
Sandra Shipman ~ Two Book Pushers
4.5 Hearts

Exploration is the first book in the Kinky in the City series by Quinn Ward. I do love my M/M and this author’s alter ego so I just had to have the book. It’s does have that added kink from her other novels. But it’s not all about whips and chains with these two. It’s about letting go of some control in all aspects of life. To just feel.

Frankie is stressed beyond belief. He runs the family business even though it’s not his dream. He feels stuck. Stuck in the office and stuck physical
Maygirl7
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s taken me forever to decide how to rate this book.

The first half was strong for me and the second half slowly dissipated the excitement I had reading the first half. The smex was great and I thought there was the potential for good story in addition but it ended more with an okay story. I still felt positive enough to move on to book two in the series.
Jessica
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The title of this book is absolutely spot on and exactly what you will get with this story. This isn't a BDSM book per say but does deal with power exchange in a very honest and toned down form. I mean there is kink and some real good themes going on through out the book. It's not a heavy BDSM book. It's light on impact and no humiliation or any of the other typical themes you would see but it's like what you would expect lifestyle power exchange to actually be. Like practical and every day aspe ...more
Avid Reader
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Exploration (Kinky in the City #1) by Quinn Ward
3 stars
M/M Romance
Triggers: Divorce, slight BDSM talk
I was given this book for an honest review by Wicked Reads.

This is the first book in the series and given the blurb, it was not at all what I was expecting.

Frankie and Calvin are roommates. What Calvin finds Frankie servicing men in the bathroom of a club, Calvin orders Frankie home.

What follows is a series of event that are meant to show a growing relationship, but really, for me, were just tha
Michaelene
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars!*

Exploration by Quinn Ward is a May/Dec romance with a bit of kink, a bit of laughter, and plenty of self-discovery.

Frankie has stress coming out of his eyeballs, and the power exchange in the backroom of a bar helps him let loose a little. When his older roommate catches him in the act, however, it opens up a space that Frankie just might want to fill. On his knees in front of Calvin.

Calvin knows what he wants. It just all comes a lot clearer with Frankie, in particular. Cal wants t
SaDeAn
3.5/5

I have no idea what this cover art is about but neither of the MCs are described to look like that.
And maybe that is the root of my struggle with this almost-book. The cover art is clearly eye catching but it only almost fits the storyline. The storyline is almost kinky, but never really goes there entirely. The book is almost really good, but it has awkward parts and unfinished themes and plot constructs. It almost wrapped things up, but then didn’t and had a weird teaser for the next boo
Ruthie Taylor
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

3.5*s rounded up because both these men deserve more

This is the first in a new series, and I am curious to know whether that means more based around the club they join, or the Marino family - as clearly there was at least one other brother interested in the dynamics Frankie was experiencing.

I liked that both men were new to the scene, and willing to discover their way together. I felt that the kink was definitely light,
S.M. Harshell
**I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.**

Exploration is the first book in the Kinky in the City series.

Calvin is a newly divorced single father. To make ends meet and have more money for his son's hockey he gets a roommate. Everything is going well until while working security in Club 83, Cal catches Frankie in a compromising position. Cal can't make sense of what he's seeing but it definitely has him looking at Frankie with new eyes.

Frankie has the weight of
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a surprisingly sweet May/December romance between roommates both keen to explore a D/s relationship.

I enjoyed the characters in this book. Frankie is the overworked oldest son in a big Italian family. His responsibility for the family restaurant eats at him and causes him crazy anxiety. Calvin is a divorced single dad who is newly out and new to the kink community. I liked Calvin’s relationship with his son and with hi
Jenny Wood
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay, so not usually a fan of the BDSM genre… It’s just not my thing, however, hot older guys and younger guys needing a firmer hand in the relationship…. Totally my thing.

In this one, we have Frankie who inherited his family restaurant after his dad passes away, even though it wasn’t at all what he envisioned himself doing. Even though it was ran by him, his brothers and their mother, because it was technically “his”, he wanted to run it like his father used to, and that meant taking everythin
Blue
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bdsm, dnf
I struggled with this book, apparently twice, because after finding it on Kindle Unlimited and thinking "that looks right up my street" I opened it up to find it already part way through, meaning that I'd started it before returned it and completely forgotten about it. This time around I'm giving up at 64%, after really trying to get into it. I'm struggling to explain why I feel so meh about it, there are certainly worse written books out there, but I just kept getting bored. I didn't really eng ...more
Liza
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-aom, bingo, 2018, m-m, bdsm
I was really drawn in by this story. The roommates-to-lovers was done so wonderfully, as was the introduction and exploration of BDSM. I love how it was not that cookie-cutter D/s, "Yes, Sir," and that they took the time to debunk and demystify what some popular fiction has put out there. There was also a wonderful cast of secondary characters, with both of their families and I can't wait to see where this series goes! A solid debut for a new author.
Victoria
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great start to a new kinky romance series

Frankie has been living with Calvin as his room mate for a few months. They've both assumed the other was straight until Calvin catches Frankie in a compromising position in his friends club. They both recognise that there might be a possibility to meet each other's needs, and begin a tentative relationship. Frankie has a crazy family who all work with him at his late father's restaurant and Calvin has a teenage son who he drives all over the place for ho
JD Crittendon
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intriguing Lite!

A kinky, romantic pairing between Frankie & Calvin. It’s an intriguing voyeuristic look at a developing Dom/Sub relationship. I’m always a bit ambivalent regarding BDSM. However, I thought this had lite touch to make the story interesting. This is a new author for me. I liked his writing, will read the next installment in this series.
Angie
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars
I received a copy to read and review for Wicked Reads

It took me a bit to get into the story but once I did I enjoyed it. The blurb is kind of misleading but what people don't underatand is BDSM means differnt things to different people and couples do what works for them. Just because it doesn't fit what YOU think it should be doesn't mean it's wrong. It means that's what works for them. Frankie and Calvin worked together because they were both new to the lifestyle and they were seeing
Dani Elle Maas
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great start to this series
I will definitely be reading more!
Great family , great characters , yup more please!
Janeylou
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Karen Meeus
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story!
I had expected it to be "just" a fun & steamy read, but it was much more than that.
I was pleasantly surprised by the deep emotional bond between both MC's and the incredible care taken with the setting of the story and the many wonderful secondary characters this book had to offer.

Frankie and Calvin are both very interesting & extremely lovable MC's and they make an amazing May/December pairing.
They have great chemistry between them, and I liked that they also
Kara Hildebrand (Two Book Pushers)
4.5

Exploration is the first book in the Kinky in the City series by the fantastic Quinn Ward. I've been a fan of this author for a long time and I'll follow her anywhere she goes… Exploration is M/M with extra heat and a little kink. I quickly became attached to these characters and was invested in their journey! Frankie had to take over his family business. He loves the restaurant, his mama and his brothers, but it's become more of a burden than his family legacy. Frankie likes to unwind in a v

Kinky in the City (4 books)
  • Challenge (Kinky in the City #2)
  • Discovery (Kinky in the City #3)
  • Adventure (Kinky in the City #4)