Start by marking “The Carrow Haunt” as Want to Read:
The Carrow Haunt

The Carrow Haunt

"The dead are restless here..."
Remy is a tour guide for Carrow House, a notoriously haunted building. When she's asked to host seven guests for a week-long stay to research Carrow's phenomena, she hopes to finally experience some of the sightings that made the house famous.

At first, it's everything they hoped for. Then a storm moves in, cutting off their contact with
Published March 26th 2018 by Black Owl Books

To ask other readers questions about The Carrow Haunt, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Alex
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jingizu Yes, the author is Australian or at least, lives in Australia. She uses British words and sentence construction, and Australia does have states. The h…moreYes, the author is Australian or at least, lives in Australia. She uses British words and sentence construction, and Australia does have states. The hospital mentioned in the beginning "Royal Henry" or "Prince Henry" hospital is also in Sydney, Australia.

She is however usually very vague about where her stories take place.(less)

Start your review of The Carrow Haunt
Marie
Wow! The second time around with this book was just as scary and chilling as the first time around!

Haunted-house-with-ghosts-gif.gif

A little backstory:

Tour guide, Remy loves taking people through Carrow House explaining things that have happened within its walls as the house is known for being haunted. People from previous tours have literally disappeared through the years or ended up dead. When one of Remy's tourists (Mark) shows an interest in the house and tells her that he would love to have her host a week long stay fo
Tim
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010s, horror, reviewed
I was genuinely shocked by how good this was... well, for at least half the book. Maybe a little over that and then majorly disappointed by the rest. Now if you've read many of the reviews that may come as a surprise as I've noticed at least a few of the reviews note that they felt the book picked up around the 60% mark. This no doubt will come down to personal taste.

So to explain my disappointment, let me first start by saying that the haunted house sub-genre is my favorite style of horror nove
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Read with my Horror Aficionados Group! I thought it was pretty good! I’ve read a few of her books and generally enjoy them!

What - pray tell - goes bump in the night 😉

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Kimberly
THE CARROW HAUNT is the latest novel from author Darcy Coates. This novel had so much in terms of genre-overlap! We have horror in many forms: supernatural, psychological, a long-dead serial killer, gruesome deaths, ghosts, gore, and bodies. Also present is a strong thriller/detective element that had me second guessing just about every idea that I attempted to predict.

"Welcome, dear ones, to the dreaded Carrow House."

Remy Allier gives guided tours through the area's "most haunted house" onc
Tom Lewis
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had a really fun time reading this spooky little book. Darcy’s words flow smoothly, and paint vivid descriptions of her scenes that really bring them to life. This story follows a team of people assembled to investigate a legendary haunted house. It’s a familiar premise, but Darcy’s execution and the colorful bunch of characters are what make it fun. If you like haunted house stories with minimal gore, check out Darcy’s books.
Shaina
Edit: This was a dynamic haunting story. I loved it. You had your medium ( not fake), the tour guide, the skeptic, the tag-a-long, and your rich girl owner who is desperately a want-to-be medium (to the actual medium’s chagrin) the horribly gory history of the House, and an actually truly very haunted house right on the sea. Everyone has their reason to be there and they are all mixed in with your folks interested in ghosts and others interested in the house and still others are just ready to co ...more
Michelle
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, audiobook
I dragged this book out as long as possible because I did not want it to end.

I love haunted house stories. I love murderous ghosts, interesting and memorable characters, and locked-in whodunnit thrillers. Darcy Coates has delivered all in spades.

For me The Carrow Haunt was a five star read right up to (view spoiler)

But regardless, I am physically restraining myself from going out and buying everyt
Ginger
Dec 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, buddy-read
This was a decent and interesting plot for a haunted house!
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars!

Thanks to the Horror Aficionados group on Goodreads for doing a group read for this book. I would not have gotten to it sooner if they had not put this together.

The Carrow Haunt is the second book that I've read by Darcy Coates and I enjoyed this one as well!
I thought the characters, action and all the spooky moments were done well in this book.
I was not expecting the plot to go in the direction that it di
Franzi
4 Stars

This was so spooky and atmospheric, I loved it. The premise of a house haunted by the ghosts of those murdered in it isn't the most unique, but this was so wonderfully crafted I enjoyed every second of it. The characters are likeable, the atmosphere is great and I liked the mystery aspect. The writing was easy to read and perfectly describtive.
Beth
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book started out as a Haunting of Hill House style ghost story and quickly devolved into goofy (bad) cheesiness. Also, I can’t be the only one who noticed that author is obsessed with having her characters lick their lips. Like so often it could be a drinking game. “Remy licked her lips and started up the stairs...” “Remy licked her lips and replied that she would go check on the others...” “Mark licked his lips and said he would be the one to go out into the storm...” And so on. Just stop ...more
samantha  Bookworm-on-rainydays
If you love a good haunted house, seances and intrigue than The Carrow Haunt will keep you reading through the night. This is definitely one of Darcy Coates best books and will keep you guessing all the way to the end.
Mindi
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it

Wow, did I tear through this one. The beginning reminded me so much of the tour I took at the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose. Coates must have been on a lot of haunted house tours, because she has the tour guide character down pat. I was immediately sucked into this story.

Remy is a tour guide at Carrow House, one of the most haunted buildings in the area. Carrow House is isolated and surrounded by the sea on three sides. In order to get to the house you have to cross a bridge, an
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
The Carrow Haunt is Darcy Coates newest release. It's about a girl named Remy that gives tours of the famously haunted Carrow House. On one of her tours, a guest asks if she will proposition the owner to allow a group of people including Remy, to stay at Carrow House for a couple of weeks in order to study the paranormal phenomena up close and personal. Not willing to pass up a chance to experience some of the sightings she talks about in her tours everyday, Remy agrees to participate; and the o ...more
Justin Chen
Dec 03, 2020 rated it liked it
3 stars

Extremely bingeable and well-paced, The Carrow Haunt is a middle-of-the road haunted house story with enough pizzazz to thrill, yet no real substance to generate any lasting impression. It is even difficult to anchor my thought on anything in particular, other than it's an inoffensive execution of the tried-and-true horror sub genre: things go south when a group of people is stranded in an old house with a dark past, and malevolent spirits.

Vanilla almost to a fault, the novel is comforta
Ellen Gail
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, horror
I used to love this building. Now, I would gladly burn it to the ground.

Not as great as I wanted it to be, but still a lot of fun and spooks.

Having read Hunted back in October, my expectations were high going into this. I wanted more of the interesting characters, exciting readable plot, and of course, the spooks.

And I got some of that? The Carrow Haunt did have some fun. It's a bit like a locked house mystery? Is there a trope for when people are trapped together and slowly picked off one
Susan
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts, non-mm
Re-read August 2019
One of my favorites from Darcy Coates

-----------------------------

Now this was awesome!

Remy organizes tours in the haunted Carrow House. The house has a very rich history, with a serial killer who buried his victims in the basement, and several other mysterious deaths in the last 100 years.

When she gets approached by Mark Sulligent, who asks if she’s interested in taking part in an experiment in Carrow House, she doesn’t know what to think. Mark wants to have a group
Emily
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
"How can you kill the unkillable?"

I've been meaning to read a book by Darcy Coates for forever, and I finally picked up The Carrow Haunt, which is a new release from this year. I ended up really enjoying it!

I can always be drawn in with a haunted house story. The Carrow Haunt has such a fun set-up - it's kind of similar to Hell House, except it doesn't suck (sorry, not sorry). The main character is a tour guide at a haunted inn, and she ends up getting the opportunity to stay there for 2 weeks
Maria Hill AKA MH Books
This one is recommended for those who like the thrill of a scary haunted house story. Its very strong on plot combining a serial killer haunted hotel, a mystery and lots and lots of action. This cries out to be a movie and it would be spectacular as such.

Personally, I prefer more characterisation and atmosphere build up but I have to admit that Darcy Coates has done an excellent job in plain out writing a haunted house story designed to scare you our of your booties.

Recommended to anyone who th
Bill
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast and fun and strange. This reminded me of a good time cheesy action horror thriller flick. And I mean that in a good way actually.

3.5 Stars rounded up to 4 because this had some good atmosphere throughout.
Amitaf0208
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 out of 5 stars ! very good and entertaining. loved it. highly recommend!
Dannii Elle
"The dead are restless here..."

Remy is a tour guide for the infamous and haunted Carrow House but she has never held a tour quite like this one. She is approached by a stranger and given the opportunity, along with seven other individuals, to spend a fortnight inside the manor home. Remy knows the house intimately but soon, as they are all about to discover, it proves to have more chilling secrets to uncover than any of them could have dreamed possible.

The book opened with an introduction to our
Amber J
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults. Lovers of horror, ghosts, paranormal, haunted houses, who dunnit.

This book was really good. I read it while I was on vacation, and reading about a haunted hotel while sleeping in motels adds a whole new level lol. But in all serious I really did find this book very scary. I was jumping at shadows and had to read something lighter before bed just to get some sleep. I found it had a bit of a 'who dunnit?' feel to it, which wasn't bad. I don't think there was anything particularly original to it though. It was and intriguing read, but the concept were pretty typ

Mehsi
The newest Darcy Coates and I was so so so excited to start reading this one.

I just had all the right elements and I just couldn't wait. Darcy Coates always knows how to write a great horror/haunted story, and this one also featured a group of people going to stay at a very very haunted place. What could go wrong? I couldn't wait for them to go exploring, for them to delve deeper into the mystery.

And there were exciting parts, but sadly at times I found myself bored and wondering when the actio
Latasha
It was ok.

The first 70% of the book is very slow going. The last little bit was great but is a struggle to get there. The characters were ok, a little basic. The setting was good. I would read more by this author but I wouldn't be in a hurry about it.
Melanie
I was quite disappointed with this one, what started out as a standard haunted house story turned into a bit of a movie-of-the-week on Lifetime channel (view spoiler)

Not for me.

Recommended for my Mum who doesn't read horror, and never will coz she's already in the afterli
✨Susan✨
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, ghost
3.5. This was a pretty good haunting story. This was my first time reading this author and a buddy read with my pal Mary Beth. I enjoyed the characters, it was spooky but not necessarily scary. I would read more by this author.
Neonila
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

It was a good read overall, but some things felt too convenient.
Kay’s Book Corner
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a comfort horror read for me!

The Carrow Haunt welcomes you in and does not let you out until you discover its secrets.
Ayesha
Feb 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Bernard is a mf mood
Read for Snakes and ladders book bingo
Prompt:The first book that you felt like reading when you visited Goodreads today/this week.
Jerby  Verderosa
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Usually, I find myself wavering between two and three stars. This time I had a bit of a happier struggle: three stars or four.

I ultimately decided on three stars for some of the plot choices made at the end of the novel. However, the truth is, in general I really had fun reading this book.

I am familiar with Darcy Coates and usually find myself gravitating to her work if I want a quick, light, sort-of spooky read. Carrow House delivers on all these accounts: it has a phenomenally eerie setting

• Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • Haunted: Perron Manor
  • The House of Long Shadows (House of Souls, #1)
  • Forgotten Men (The Bayou Hauntings #2)
  • The Haunting of Hardlocke House
  • Strange Sanctuary (The Haunting of Blackburn Manor, #1)
  • Haunted: Purgatory
  • The Demonic
  • Haunted: Devil's Door
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, #1)
  • The Haunting of Abram Mansion
  • The Nursery (The Bayou Hauntings Book 3)
  • The Strangler's Daughter
  • Malefic (House of Souls #2)
  • Asylum (Afterlife Investigations, #1)
  • The Demon of Mansfeld Manor (The Paranormal Archaeologist #1)
  • Dark Deity (Asylum #3)
  • The Hollow Places
See top shelves…
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a

News & Interviews

“There are three parts to a person: a body, a spirit, and a soul. When the body dies, the soul goes into whatever is waiting for us after death. But the spirit can sometimes get stuck behind. That’s what a ghost is: a spirit anchored to earth by residual energy. The soul, the part that goes to the afterlife, is our core person—the identity we were born with. The spirit is our emotions, our temperament, our intelligence—the parts of us that are created and changed by our time on earth. So, when a ghost is formed, it’s missing both the soul and the body that it needs to be a full human. It’s like an echo of what it once was.” 5 likes
“A spectre is an entity that can think—though often primitively—and react to changes to their surroundings. They may move from room to room and usually have some kind of impetus keeping them on earth. They’re the closest to the pop culture concept of ghosts. Imprints, on the other hand, are a small amount of energy left behind at the point of death. They’re not conscious. Most commonly, they replay their death, often at the same time each day or on the anniversary of when they died.” 2 likes