Start by marking “The Carrow Haunt” as Want to Read:
The Carrow Haunt

The Carrow Haunt

"The dead are restless here..."
Remy is a tour guide for Carrow House, a notoriously haunted building. When she's asked to host seven guests for a week-long stay to research Carrow's phenomena, she hopes to finally experience some of the sightings that made the house famous.

At first, it's everything they hoped for. Then a storm moves in, cutting off their contact with th
Published March 26th 2018 by Black Owl Books

To ask other readers questions about The Carrow Haunt, please sign up.
Silverin The writer lives in Australia, and it seems that they do have states and territories there. So probably yes, but an author can be deliberately vague…moreThe writer lives in Australia, and it seems that they do have states and territories there. So probably yes, but an author can be deliberately vague in setting their location :)(less)

Kimberly
THE CARROW HAUNT is the latest novel from author Darcy Coates. This novel had so much in terms of genre-overlap! We have horror in many forms: supernatural, psychological, a long-dead serial killer, gruesome deaths, ghosts, gore, and bodies. Also present is a strong thriller/detective element that had me second guessing just about every idea that I attempted to predict.

"Welcome, dear ones, to the dreaded Carrow House."

Remy Allier gives guided tours through the area's "most haunted house" once
Tom Lewis
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had a really fun time reading this spooky little book. Darcy’s words flow smoothly, and paint vivid descriptions of her scenes that really bring them to life. This story follows a team of people assembled to investigate a legendary haunted house. It’s a familiar premise, but Darcy’s execution and the colorful bunch of characters are what make it fun. If you like haunted house stories with minimal gore, check out Darcy’s books.
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
If you love a good haunted house, seances and intrigue than The Carrow Haunt will keep you reading through the night. This is definitely one of Darcy Coates best books and will keep you guessing all the way to the end.
Susan
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts, non-mm

Now this was awesome!

Remy organizes tours in the haunted Carrow House. The house has a very rich history, with a serial killer who buried his victims in the basement, and several other mysterious deaths in the last 100 years.

When she gets approached by Mark Sulligent, who asks if she’s interested in taking part in an experiment in Carrow House, she doesn’t know what to think. Mark wants to have a group of 7 or 8 people staying at Carrow House to investigate the ghosts. It sounds vague
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
The Carrow Haunt is Darcy Coates newest release. It's about a girl named Remy that gives tours of the famously haunted Carrow House. On one of her tours, a guest asks if she will proposition the owner to allow a group of people including Remy, to stay at Carrow House for a couple of weeks in order to study the paranormal phenomena up close and personal. Not willing to pass up a chance to experience some of the sightings she talks about in her tours everyday, Remy agrees to participate; and the o ...more
Mindi
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it

Wow, did I tear through this one. The beginning reminded me so much of the tour I took at the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose. Coates must have been on a lot of haunted house tours, because she has the tour guide character down pat. I was immediately sucked into this story.

Remy is a tour guide at Carrow House, one of the most haunted buildings in the area. Carrow House is isolated and surrounded by the sea on three sides. In order to get to the house you have to cross a bridge, an
Emily
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
"How can you kill the unkillable?"

I've been meaning to read a book by Darcy Coates for forever, and I finally picked up The Carrow Haunt, which is a new release from this year. I ended up really enjoying it!

I can always be drawn in with a haunted house story. The Carrow Haunt has such a fun set-up - it's kind of similar to Hell House, except it doesn't suck (sorry, not sorry). The main character is a tour guide at a haunted inn, and she ends up getting the opportunity to stay there for 2 weeks
Mehsi
The newest Darcy Coates and I was so so so excited to start reading this one.

I just had all the right elements and I just couldn't wait. Darcy Coates always knows how to write a great horror/haunted story, and this one also featured a group of people going to stay at a very very haunted place. What could go wrong? I couldn't wait for them to go exploring, for them to delve deeper into the mystery.

And there were exciting parts, but sadly at times I found myself bored and wondering when the actio
Bill
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast and fun and strange. This reminded me of a good time cheesy action horror thriller flick. And I mean that in a good way actually.

3.5 Stars rounded up to 4 because this had some good atmosphere throughout.
Ellen Gail
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, kindle
I used to love this building. Now, I would gladly burn it to the ground.

Not as great as I wanted it to be, but still a lot of fun and spooks.

Having read Hunted back in October, my expectations were high going into this. I wanted more of the interesting characters, exciting readable plot, and of course, the spooks.

And I got some of that? The Carrow Haunt did have some fun. It's a bit like a locked house mystery? Is there a trope for when people are trapped together and slowly picked off one by
Amitaf0208
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 out of 5 stars ! very good and entertaining. loved it. highly recommend!
Shaina
Edit: This was a dynamic haunting story. I loved it. You had your medium ( not fake), the tour guide, the skeptic, the tag-a-long, and your rich girl owner who is desperately a want-to-be medium (to the actual medium’s chagrin) the horribly gory history of the House, and an actually truly very haunted house right on the sea. Everyone has their reason to be there and they are all mixed in with your folks interested in ghosts and others interested in the house and still others are just ready to co ...more
Beth
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book started out as a Haunting of Hill House style ghost story and quickly devolved into goofy (bad) cheesiness. Also, I can’t be the only one who noticed that author is obsessed with having her characters lick their lips. Like so often it could be a drinking game. “Remy licked her lips and started up the stairs...” “Remy licked her lips and replied that she would go check on the others...” “Mark licked his lips and said he would be the one to go out into the storm...” And so on. Just stop ...more
Tana △⃒⃘ ⚯͛ Cozyreadings
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
17/03/2019

I enjoyed this more than I expected! This really had me on edge the whole time, and even had a couple of gasps when the deaths started happening.

(view spoiler)
Hunter R.
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I really appreciate how simple and engaging these are. Very nice to read in between series.
Emily
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed, favorites
Wow, where to begin with this book? I went to bed last night just intending to read a chapter or two and finished the entire second half in a single sitting- always a good sign, though not for my sleeping patterns.

Most texts by this author follow a quite familiar pattern and contain similar plot-based ingredients:
1. There is a spooky house
2. The main character because isolated and unable to leave the property due to financial/emotional/physical entrapment by spooky things/all of the above
3. T
Neonila
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

It was a good read overall, but some things felt too convenient.
Eve
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Suspense > Ghosts

“. . . Two weeks in the state’s most haunted house. This is either going to be a great decision or the worst experience of my life.”

I don’t normally read books that fall into the horror genre because they are often too disturbing, malicious and make me feel uncomfortable. Darcy Coates has something in her books that makes me enjoy them, so I can easily make an exception to her books.

You can't kill what's already dead.

THE CARROW HAUNT
Rachel
3.25/5 stars

This was a fun quick read that pretty much provided exactly what I wanted. I love haunted house stories and The Carrow Haunt is just that. There were several moments during this book that I got that awesome creepy vibe that makes you want to look behind you and make sure no ghosts are following! It's fairly predictable but the pace moved along well enough that I still enjoyed it and will be checking out more of the authors work.
Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos
I suppose I should start by owning that Darcy Coates is one of my favorite horror writers and that I have a special love for haunted house yarns. Put those two together and I was probably predisposed to love this book from the beginning.

The things about Ms Coates’ tales is that they really aren’t ground breaking. Like, not at all. She tells haunted house stories that are very classical and formulaic. Whether it’s the person inheriting a house from a forgotten relative, the one where the person
Brendan
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
3.5

I thought I would shake it up a bit for the beginning of 2019 and read a book I normally would not read. I liked it for the better half, but it escaped me in the later, but I'll cover this in my conclusion. Darcy Coates has written a good book. The story beats are a little cliche, but overall it passed my expectations, the cover is brilliant. The haunted house sub genre is a tough story model to break, it has been done to death so Coates knew the challenges going into the book.

The storyline
julia ☆ [owls reads]
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
4 stars!

No one is up here. No one living, at least.

The Carrow Haunt is a fast-moving and creepy novel with wonderful characters and a fascinating setting. The plot is engrossing and rather complex, with many shocking twists and scary reveals along the way. There is some very light romance, but the overall atmosphere of the novel is eerie and filled with terrible secrets.

Darcy Coates delivers an engaging story that offers an unique take on the premise of haunted houses. The writing is great
Soukyan Blackwood
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
all reviews in one place:
night mode reading
;
skaitom nakties rezimu

About: Carrow Haunt House stood ominous, open to tourists in search for spirits, ghosts, thrills, and terror. Many have been slain here by one of the previous owners, and due to ritualistic nature of their deaths – the dead don’t seem to be able to move on. Remy leads tourist groups in and out, shepherding, warning, telling stories. And no one ever fails to feel, see, or hear something. All went well, and she was happy with h
Montana Cefalu
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It would seem that Darcy Coates and I share a mutual love of happy endings, even against all odds. After reading Craven Manor, I was very much looking forward to this! Significantly spookier and truly a tale of horrors, The Carrow Haunt did succeed in raising my hairs and prickling my flesh as I read it in my bed all night. It’s currently 5AM. Whoops!

I admit that my ratings are usually based purely on feelings, rather than actual criticisms of elements of the book and story itself. Therefore I e
Megan
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wheelathon-2018
A very fun haunted house story.
Comparing this to classic haunted house novels such as "Hell House" and "The Haunting of Hill House" is unavoidable and honestly there is little in The Carrow Haunt that is unique. However, there is a locked room murder mystery aspect to the plot which makes the story stand out on its own.
The writing itself is extremely enjoyable. The suspense and pacing kept me turning pages deep into the night.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable read and I particularly recommend
Gregory  Hunt
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
If you're are somebody who hasn't read Hill House and other haunted house tales, and if you are somebody that likes horror films, you'd think this book is good enough.
It starts with what I expected to be a modern rendering of Hill House. And it was great until it wasn't.
As we reach the end, it suffers from the same ex Machina that most horror films do. It was entertaining to an extent.
Cikita
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am so glad I found out this writer! It's been so long for me reading something 'really horror' thing, love irking forward to read other !
Mortisha Cassavetes
This book is OMG amazing! I loved it so much it is one of my 2018 Favorites. The story is so unique and extremely haunting. The book follows Remy who is a tour guide for the infamously haunted Carrow House. During a tour, she meets Mark who wants to rent the house out for 2 weeks to bring a team of paranormal investigators in to study the spirits within. I loved all the characters in the book even with their differing personalities. That is what made the book so amazing. I do not want to go into ...more
Kat
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where has Darcy Coates been in my life? Why have I never heard of her prior to this?

This book was amazingly suspenseful. I wouldn't classify it as horror necessarily, which is great because if things get too gory my stomach nopes out. But I love suspense and thrillers and anything in the vein of horror (minus the gore) so this was perfect for me. I kept turning the pages and moving on to the next chapter and I was miserable anytime I had to pull myself away from the book. (And there are things
Maria Hill AKA MH Books
This one is recommended for those who like the thrill of a scary haunted house story. Its very strong on plot combining a serial killer haunted hotel, a mystery and lots and lots of action. This cries out to be a movie and it would be spectacular as such.

Personally, I prefer more characterisation and atmosphere build up but I have to admit that Darcy Coates has done an excellent job in plain out writing a haunted house story designed to scare you our of your booties.

Recommended to anyone who th
  • The Siren and the Specter
  • The Devil and the Deep
  • The House of Long Shadows (House of Souls #1)
  • Ouija
  • Inhabited
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • Bride
  • Bedlam Stories
  • Kill Creek
  • Sick House
  • Hasty for the Dark
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • The Ghost of Shapley Hall
  • Chainsaw Alice in Wonderland
  • Rabbits in the Garden
  • Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • A Haunting
  • Father of Lies (Father of Lies #1)
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a
“I wish I’d never started, but I cannot stop. Death is the next step. Heaven owes me no mercy, so I will make my own.” 1 likes
“There are three parts to a person: a body, a spirit, and a soul. When the body dies, the soul goes into whatever is waiting for us after death. But the spirit can sometimes get stuck behind. That’s what a ghost is: a spirit anchored to earth by residual energy. The soul, the part that goes to the afterlife, is our core person—the identity we were born with. The spirit is our emotions, our temperament, our intelligence—the parts of us that are created and changed by our time on earth. So, when a ghost is formed, it’s missing both the soul and the body that it needs to be a full human. It’s like an echo of what it once was.” 1 likes