Start by marking “The Art of Money” as Want to Read:
The Art of Money

The Art of Money

Awarded the 2016 Nautilus Silver Medal for Personal Growth!

This is the book your money–savvy best friend, therapist, and accountant would write if they could. It’s the book about money for people who don’t even want to think about money, until the arrival of that inevitable day when we all realize we must come to terms with this thing called money.

Everyone has pain and ch
Published March 13th 2018 by Parallax Press (first published July 12th 2016)

Caroline
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. I never thought I'd describe a personal finance book as a page turner, but I could not put this down. I've known Bari Tessler for years, taken her courses and she is an incredible resource. Every time I connect with her my life is the better for it. Anyone who interacts with money in any way will want to read this. The best part is the book's ability to motivate without scaring you. There are many issues around money that can be scary- it may be the most loaded topic of all- but reading ...more
Miri
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This is a very unique personal finance book. Tessler's approach blends mindfulness, practical info, and a lot of emotional work to help people understand where their patterns and feelings around money come from and how to change them. The spirituality-ish aspects didn't really appeal to me, but don't let that deter you--there's still a lot you can pull out of that (and for what it's worth, it's totally secular). Her approach is very practical and allows you to choose your own values and prioriti ...more
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bari Tessler takes a mindful and compassionate approach to thinking about our relationships with money. She discusses how money is emotional and closely tied to our deeply held values, and presents a number of exercises and practices you can do to gently become more comfortable thinking about money and relating to it in this way. Some of her practices are based in her somatic (body-based) therapy experience, which resonated with me as it was familiar from therapy work I've done. The book is simu ...more
Maia Duerr
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Art of Money" ranks right up there for me along with another book that has been pivotal in transforming my relationship with money -- "The Energy of Money" by Maria Nemeth. Both books are full of practical guidance but even more importantly they draw out the energetic and spiritual dimensions of money. To me, this is a necessary ingredient in order to make not just a superficial change, but a lasting transformation.

@Bari Tessler's book feels like having an intimate conversation about a som
Rose
Review to come. I picked up this book last year as a recommendation in the realm of personal finance and it was one of the best/most unique guides in the topic that I've picked up. It's equal parts practical financial management guide and mindfulness/wellness guide. I need to mull over a few points but my overall score might be between 4 stars and 4.5 for this. Technically my first completed read of the year.
Lauren Sapala
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I say this in all seriousness: This book changed my life.

I have never felt comfortable with money. I’ve always felt confusion, fear, and shame around earning money, spending money, saving money, and receiving money. About a year ago I decided that it was time to get my act together and so I started reading personal finance books, but every book I read seemed to increase my shame and make me even more confused.

Enter Bari Tessler.

I’m still not even sure how I found her—I think through a random Goo
Kristy Lin Billuni
I will cherish this book, mark it up and fold the corners on favorite pages. I know for certain, I'll give it as a conversation-referencing gift many times in years to come because I have so many meaningful conversations with loved ones about money. You can read or share it in pieces. The chapter on values-based bookkeeping, for example, could be an interesting alternative starting point. The book overflows with practical resources, like questions to ask before you hire a bookkeeper, accountant, ...more
Amy
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for specific tactics or strategies around earning, saving or investing, this might not be the best book. However, lots of good lessons on healing our relationship to money. It's a book I would share with a friend who is looking to dig deeper and not looking for a quick fix.
Shannon Buck
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m still on my quest to learn more about different aspects of finances, and was overjoyed to read Bari Tessler’s book The Art of Money: A Life-Changing Guide to Financial Happiness. Bari is the creator of the global, year-round program The Art of Money, and she uses a caring, conversational writing style to guide us through the book so we can learn all about our financial situations. All this, she does gently.

“Money… is about our relationship with ourselves.”~ Bari Tessler

To begin, Bari takes c
Meighan O'Toole
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: money-finance
3.5 stars - This book helped me to really rethink how I approach money. Tessler is filled with empathy and compassion, and she just seems like a lovely person. Someone you really want to make proud. I think one of the biggest a-ha! moments for me in the book is how she discusses values and how they should be weaved into spending, saving, giving, etc. This was pretty groundbreaking to me! Which may seem crazy to some. But money has always eluded me, and its always felt like it was meant to be spe ...more
Carina
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Art of Money is a book where the good stuff happens right on the first pages. I dont like to scribble in my books and prefer to keep them in pristine shape. But never has the urge been stronger than when reading Bari Tesslers Art of Money! On page ten I was jumping in my sofa almost on my way to get a pen. This is definitely a book that you want to take notes and ponder upon when reading. Not only because of the exercises in it, but because it sets you mind rolling.

I have never been fond of
Becca Nelson
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I HATE talking about money. Financial spreadsheets make me feel nauseated. Money brings up so many feelings about self-worth and personal responsibility for me, as I internalized at an early age that I wasn’t “good with money” and I probably never will be. When my therapist recommended this book to me, I was skeptical. But there was something about her values-based approach to finance that really resonated with me. Money doesn’t have to be separate from our creativity and our emotions, and budge ...more
Niki
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this in preparation for a year long journey with Bari on The Art of Money. I wanted to see what the overview is and I love the journey and gentleness she brings into our money journey.

Since I started, I've managed to save a bigger chunk of my paycheck into savings, and I've been more daring in wanting to earn more, finding ways to bring my value into the world.

This book isn't very tactical but it shows practical ways of dealing with the shame and guilt we ask have towards mon
Kathryn A. Forsyth
An in-depth look at money and how it affects our lives, and how our beliefs and emotions affect how we manage our money. This is not a quick read as it inspires us to think about our lives, and what role we want our money to play in our lives. Bari asks many questions that require soul searching to answer. I found it very interesting and thought-provoking. If you struggle with getting control of your money, this book will help if you're willing to wrestle with difficult questions, and do the exe ...more
Maria
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, in-2018
When I was first told about the "elephant in the room," my first reaction was... "Okay, what other crazy stuff is she going to come up with?" I didn't think I was uncomfortable with self-love, but I guess that when it comes to money, which I get really excited about (especially when it comes to research and planning), I'm not really worried about being kind to myself because it seems kind to myself to simply be playing around with possibilites. By the end though, I could see some of her points. ...more
Erin
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a different take on the basic finance book and focuses more on your feelings and emotions surrounding what can be an inherently emotional topic. It was interesting to look at it from a perspective that I don't normally engage with but ultimately contained a lot of the same information I've found in other sources, just packaged differently. For someone who is not analytical about money, this could be a great approach with lots of actionable tips and tricks. For those analytical types, thi ...more
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Bari explains ways to check in with your body and making sure you are grounded and creating a container that allows you to consciously make decisions about your finances. She also has great tips and ideas for how to think about money differently. I believe language can be very powerful in the way it shapes our mental models and I really appreciated the language changes she writes about uses in this work. It has changed the way I think about and deal with money.
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book runs you through the basics of personal bookkeeping and budgeting. Bari Tessler is trained in somatic therapy so she has a definite feminine, body & feeling- centered approach to wrangling with the oft-avoided topic of personal finances. For anyone needing a softer, gentler approach to finance, this may be the book for you.
Kate Swoboda
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bari has a true gift for talking about money in a way that leaves you feeling safe, held, and inspired to take action. She's not doing short shrift to the topic; she's approaching it with nuance, pragmatism, and something that's so often missing in money guides--soul.
Melissa
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-books-2017
I saw this book listed in the Parallax Press mailer I received and it piqued my interest. I really enjoyed the suggestions she shared and it reminded me to really focus on my family values when making decisions regarding money.
Nora
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thought-provoking and practical book. If you're looking to connect your money decisions with your values, this is the book. This money has given me new tools to use now and into the future that affect not only how and where I spend my money but where I am investing my time and energy.
Bernadette
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, women
A must-read. Bari Tessler brings mindfulness and self-compassion to healing our relationships with money. Practical, soothing, and well-written. Bari, thank you for sharing this gift with us!
Ania Gaska
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Money itself is simple and straightforward, but our emotions around it aren't. This is a helpful guide for staying rational when you make big life decisions about money.
Rachelle
Insightful book about money and the emotions that go with it. Thinking deeply about our relationship with money to plan, save, spend, and budget.
Joanna
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a self-help book than what I expected; very enjoyable. Reminds of me Brene Brown’s work. Appreciated the practical workshop techniques and look forward to applying.
db
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She discusses the many practical and emotional issues that people have with money. Her exercises helps the reader grow up.
Aja Marsh
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, money
skimmed it. lots of good tidbits in here from a financial therapist perspective. will re-read.
Maria Gray
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best money books I read. The author keeps things simple and she shares her personal experience to make it an interesting read.
Jess
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. I recommend it to so many people. Its great for anyone looking to improve their relationship to money.
Laurie Burns
Interesting and meaningful book in regards to your own relationship with money.
Money Management 1 4 Jun 14, 2016 03:02PM

• Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance
  • Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure (Foundations of Fiction #1)
  • Coming Closer to Ourselves: Making Everything the Path of Awakening
  • A Writer's Guide to Persistence: How to Create a Lasting and Productive Writing Practice
  • Think Happy: Instant Peptalks to Boost Positivity
  • Szen Zone: Reaching a State of Positive Change
  • How to Communicate Like a Buddhist
  • Worth It: Your Life, Your Money, Your Terms
  • The Mindfulness in Knitting: Meditations on Craft and Calm
  • The S&M Feminist: Best of Clarisse Thorn
  • The Art of Conflict Management: Achieving Solutions for Life, Work, and Beyond
  • The One Skill: How mastering the Art of Letting Go will change your life
  • North: How to Live Scandinavian
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • Refinery29 Money Diaries: Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About Your Finances... And Everyone Else's
  • Highly Sensitive People in an Insensitive World: How to Create a Happy Life
  • Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration: Learn to Nurture a Lifestyle of Creativity (Helping Writers Become Authors Book 5)
  • Why Won’t You Apologize?: Healing Big Betrayals and Everyday Hurts
“Enough” isn’t out there; it’s a relationship to what you already have. Unless you work on that first (or simultaneously with how you’re making money), you will never feel like you have enough, and you will always feel poor. It’s possible to feel fat when you’re thin, and to feel poor when you’re rich. The thing that changes is your relationship with “enough.” 0 likes