Start by marking “Become a Successful Indie Author: Work Toward Your Writing Dream” as Want to Read:
Become a Successful Indie Author: Work Toward Your Writing Dream

Become a Successful Indie Author: Work Toward Your Writing Dream

Demystifying the tangled web of self-publishing to put you on the road to success.
This is a motivational guide based on my two and a half million published words (mostly with Amazon) to help you see past the hurdles that are keeping you from climbing the mountain of success. Nothing is overwhelming once it's been explained. If you are smart enough to write a book, you are
Published March 26th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Become a Successful Indie Author, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Become a Successful Indie Author

Start your review of Become a Successful Indie Author: Work Toward Your Writing Dream
Olivia
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Solid advice for any aspiring indie author.
Jery Schober
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Geared for the US market, this is a nice guide for self publishers that covers a lot of ground, though not very deeply. The German market works a bit differently, so not all advice can be directly transferred.
If you're looking for writing advice, you won't find anything apart from "write a good story" and "hook them from the first page", but if you want help with business decisions and see how another author got extremely successful, this book is for you.
J.P. Willson
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Let's just say this is not what I was expecting. If one has never written a book before- okay, some fairly decent advice- for that it's worth a look.
A published author, you may pick up a few hints, but in all likelihood it will simply drag on as it did for me. Nothing new in the content.
Crystal
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super helpful!

Easy to read, to the point, full of useful information, and best of all, inspiring! Martelle's approach is part teacher and part cheerleader.
I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in indie publishing.
E.P.
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the quest for success in the writing business, we all rush anxiously from guru to guru, oracle to oracle, hoping that someone will reveal the magical formula to make the gods more propitious and cause the bestseller deities to smile down on us.

Unfortunately, the magic formula that these oracles keep revealing is always pretty much the same: work, work, work, and then work some more. Write books, hustle them. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

So Craig Martelle's "Become a Successful Indie Author"
Taaya
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was not at all what I had expected. It felt more like advertisement, both for the works of the author (showing his covers and speaking about his series again and again) and for other authors (whenever the book hit a point where actual information could have come, there was just a ‚read the book of my friend here‘).
Some of the stuff in the book might be useful for authors in the US, that I can’t tell. But in my country people still think an author who writes more than two books a year d
Ashley McLeo
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Always good information and value.

Craig Martell always provides great info and value. Beginnings will get a lot out of this book, and best of indie publishing might pick up pointers too.
K.C. Sivils
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read for the aspiring Indie author

Lots of practical, actionable ideas combined with encouragement to get things done. Covers a lot of the business side.

Also sets targets to help a wouldbe author visualize what needs to happen finically to make a living as an Indie.
Heather Myers
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Direct and helpful

This is a great book for authors on how to be a successful indie author. Craig is direct and real and I appreciate his honesty. Definitely picked up important things I can use for myself!
Valerie Ihsan
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Overview!

There’s also a fabulous section at the end on running a conference. Totally worth reading the book. Craig is a no-nonsense indie that shares his expertise in all things business.
Caitlyn Lynch
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it
The first thing you should note here, if you didn’t know already, is that Craig Martelle is an admin of the hugely popular and successful 20Booksto50k Facebook group and associated conferences. The group’s core tenet is the fast-release strategy, and it’s proven to genuinely work… IF you can sustain the pace of publishing 6+ books a year.

If that’s not something which is going to be possible for you, I don’t think the advice in this book is really going to be helpful, because it’s very much based
Josh King
Dec 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
A handful of successful indie authors I’ve talked to mentioned this book. The hype made me buy the ebook and dive right in. I used to approach these type of books with a “as long as I follow these rules I’ll be successful” approach, but I’ve come to learn they don’t “teach” (ie. here’s how I did it), they “tell” (ie. briefly, this is what I did). Telling isn’t enough. There’s still a lot of work to be done on top of following someone’s rules that has worked for them.

Most authors market these typ
Jason Meuschke
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding information throughout. I’ve read others like this in the past but Craig has a way of talking with you, the reader/aspiring writer, and not to you or at you. Will be rereading and referencing this many times going forth I’m sure.
Paul Sating
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great resource, as someone who has publsihed three times. Wish I'd read it a year ago! ...more
Kellyn Roth
Sep 06, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Read about 20%. Will return to it later but that time is not now!
Pete Aldin
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and comprehensive advice for authors at any stage of the path. Plenty of this I already knew. Plenty I didn’t. Plenty of both that this made me think more deeply on.

I don’t think I’ve read a better book on making a career as an author.
Ashton
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Jim Rohn of self publishing

An excellent, no-nonsense books for the aspiring self published author. Crisp, to the point, and entirely devoid of waffle. Well worth reading.
William Webb
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a damned fine insight into the career and business practices of one of today's best and most influential SF writers. ...more
Petrina Binney
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are some excellent ideas in this great little guide, and coming from internationally bestselling independent author, Craig Martelle, you’d expect nothing less.

His manner is friendly but business-like, he clearly knows his stuff, and he understands the trials and tribulations that come hurtling towards the independent author. He knows because it’s his journey, too.

So many other books for self-published authors are tremendously heavy-handed when it comes to the subject of newsletters. Mr Mar
Lauren Sevier
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Okay for Indie's

I wanted the author to expand in some areas and on certain topics, things I could have really learned from. I found that this was more memoir than instruction manual, which is fine as I am also reading Stephen King's 'On Writing' and enjoying it thoroughly... But, it annoys me when authors set false expectations for the content of their books.

It gets 3 stars because there were good motivational quotes and times when he really did give useful, actionable advice. But as far as cr
Rinelle Grey
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting read. A lot of it was stuff I already know, and I couldn't help reading it almost as though he was speaking really fast, but I'm not sure if that was his writing style, or the fact that it was stuff I knew.

I did like the fact that he constantly stresses that this is what works for him. I liked that he didn't say "you must go wide, KU is evil", or "you must be in KU". He said this is what works for him, and different things work for different people. I like that.

My favourite bit wa
j v sanford
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

I think it's apparent as I purchased this book that I am a self published author. Now I have declared this I feel an overwelmbing pressure to leave am eloquent grammatically correct review.
But my kids have stole my laptop and my phone don't play nice with spell check. Instead I will have to opt for an honest review.
This book is well worth the read, I am a massive fan of the fb group, the information found on it is invaluable. If you are indie get on over to th
Janet Sketchley
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book contains so much information that it might overload a new writer, but it aims to cover all aspects of the indie author's responsibilities. I like how the author refers readers to other sources on complex topics he doesn't have space to address.

It's mostly written as if he has a brief time to talk to readers in person or perhaps in emails and wants to cram in as much as possible of what we'll need to know. Very conversational, and drawing heavily on his own work and experience as examp
Caitlin
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I found this book a concise reference for self-publishing information. The plainspoken table of contents makes it easy to navigate to a specific section you have questions about, such as how and whether to incorporate as an author, but it can also be read straight through.

Want to self-publish but have no idea where to start? This book is a useful overview and jumping-off point for the new indie author. He also shares many useful links and reference books from other authors for the reader who wa
Joshua Smith
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An interesting take on the industry

This book is really helpful in establishing a number of serious steps to take to help ground yourself as a business person - an aspect of writing that doesn't get a lot of coverage elsewhere. I feel like I'm better off for reading it, though - as Craig states - not everything is going to apply to everyone. (Example: a big chunk is focused on rapid release, which I'm currently not able to do).

That said, there is something for everyone in this boom regardless of
Robert Crouch
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
As the title suggests, this book is aimed at independent authors. It’s a positive, encouraging book that shows you what it’s possible to achieve with hard work, marketable ideas and an insight into the world of self-publishing. The author’s been there and calls on his experiences and learning mistakes to offer practical advice, inspiration and solutions.

I’m not a science fiction fan, so the author’s examples didn’t resonate with me and I skipped most of them. The rest of the book gave me some us
Jason Nugent
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No Nonsense Advice

Craig Martelle lays out his best practices for following the indie author route. He does not claim you must do certain steps in certain ways to succeed, but rather, he shares what works for him and constantly reminds the reader to do what works for them. We each have a different path up the mountain.

This book is full of clearly written advice and I love the no nonsense way it’s presented. If you’re considering the indie path, you’d do well to read this book to learn from one of
Chris DeVere
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book that hits all the right topics

If you’re looking to become a successful indie author this book is a hell of a place to start. Inside it has most of the best possible strategies for becoming all you can be, and where it doesn’t, it tells you where to find them in books that go into depth that’s beyond the scope of this title. This book deserves better than I can offer typing into this tiny smartphone comments field so pick it up and read it yourself. You’ll be glad that you did!
Suzanne Paschke
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-writing
I flat out loved this. I've read this right when I need a kick in the pants, and this book more than did the trick. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because it's geared towards US writers, but hey, that's fair enough as the author is from the US himself. He doesn't herald himself as being the be all and end all, just simply and humbly states 'this is what worked for me' AND IT TAKES DISCIPLINE!!! This has been someone I've followed and respected as an author for quite a while now and ...more
Sieglinde
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of useful advice from someone who has done very well as a prolific indie author. It includes some dos and don'ts on a variety of topics, from both the writing end and the business / marketing end, including what is involved in organising and hosting a conference. Martelle's Facebook group 20BooksTo50K is a popular and thriving setting where authors can learn from and be inspired by each other. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Writers Workshop: January 2020 2 6 Jan 25, 2020 10:18AM

• Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert
  • Write Compelling Fiction: Tips, Tricks, & Hints with Examples to Strengthen Your Prose (Successful Indie Author Book 4)
  • Writing and Releasing Rapidly
  • Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)
  • 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Six Figure Author: Using Data to Sell Books (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 5)
  • Rapid Release: How to Write & Publish Fast For Profit
  • Launch to Market: Easy Marketing For Authors (Write Faster, Write Smarter, #4)
  • How to Write a Sizzling Synopsis: A Step-by-Step System for Enticing New Readers, Selling More Fiction, and Making Your Books Sound Good
  • Mastering Amazon Descriptions: An Author's Guide
  • Let's Get Digital: How to Self-Publish, and Why You Should
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
  • Romancing the Beat: Story Structure for Romance Novels (How to Write Kissing Books Book 1)
  • Learn Amazon Ads: Use AMS to Find More Readers and Sell More Books
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Amazon Ads for Authors: Tips and Strategies to Sell Your Books
  • Writing A Page-Turner: Five Editing Maxims to Make Your Book Irresistible
Visit Craig's web page, craigmartelle.com for the latest posts and updates or find him on Facebook, Author Craig Martelle. Send an email to craig@craigmartelle.com to join his mailing list for the latest on new releases, information on old releases, and anything related to his books.

I see my other lives, a career in the Marines, those damn hand-written tests in law school, a business consultant, a

News & Interviews