Start by marking “Ecosystem (Ecosystem, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ecosystem (Ecosystem, #1)

Ecosystem

(Ecosystem #1)

Seventeen-year-old Sarah is a Sensor, gifted with the ability to survive within the sentient Ecosystem that swept away human civilization centuries ago. While the remnants of humankind huddle in small villages of stone, Sarah uses her psychic connection to the Ecosystem to travel freely in the wild in search of food, water, and fuel. Sarah doesn’t fear the Ecosystem—but sh ...more
Published April 22nd 2018 by Mostly Wind Books (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Ecosystem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecosystem

Start your review of Ecosystem (Ecosystem, #1)
Lauren ✨ (TheBookishTwins)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Last year I read Freefall and was blown away by the excellent world-building and the on-the-edge-of-your-seat thrills, and I am happy to announce that ECOSYSTEM delivers just as well.

In a world where the Ecosystem has turned against humanity, humans are confined to villages made of stone where nature has no hold. In order to survive in the hostile world, Sensors - those born with a gift to feel and sense the inte
Darlene
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ECOSYSTEM by Joshua David Bellin is a YA “cautionary tale” for our times. Welcome to the Ecosystem. A future where the natural world of plants and animals are in charge. The Ecosystem has turned against humanity. Humans are confined to the rocks and dead places where no life blooms. To survive, the Sensors – those chosen and trained to see, feel, hear, and know what the wild world is up to- venture into this hostile world, risking their lives to hunt for food and water to feed the village.
Sixte
Kat Ross
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An original and stylish blend of fantasy and sci-fi, Ecosystem has plenty of action, but also a ton of heart and intelligence. I loved Sarah, who’s brave and resourceful, and the sweet budding romance with Isaac. But the Ecosystem itself is the star of the show, with its traps and pitfalls and clever reimagining of familiar things (sickenmore trees, warhogs) with a more sinister cast.

A cautionary tale worth pondering that also happens to be a lot of fun. Twists and revelations abound, I can’t wa
Margo Kelly
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you’re a huge fan of Joshua David Bellin, like I am, be warned that his newest book, Ecosystem, utilizes a significantly different narrative voice than the ones found in his previous novels, in large part because his previous books were science fiction and Ecosystem is more in the fantasy realm. Consequently, I recommend you cleanse your palate, clear your mind, and control your phobias before jumping into the jungle underbrush of Ecosystem. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.

Ecosystem by Jo
Christina Farley
In ECOSYSTEM, Bellin has developed a unique, post-apocalyptic world, one where nature has turned on us and become our predator. Every foray into this treacherous land ensures a painful death. Unless you are a Sensor. Seventeen-year old Sarah has this Sensor gift and with it she can Sense the Ecosystem. She knows when it moves, what it sees, and even its intent. With this ability, she’s able to join the other Sensors and journey into the dangerous Ecosystem to hunt and gather food for her communi ...more
Carrie
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ecosystem is a powerhouse of a novel. From the very first scene, Bellin draws you into a highly realized universe where the greatest threat to humans is the world around them. From bloodbirds to poisonrose to flameflies, there’s always something ready to harm or kill a person as soon as they step outside of their stone village.

Bellin’s writing is confident and clear, coaxing you into the world and the story. It’s apparent that he took great care in this project and that it’s close to his heart.
Alexia
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-shelf
This book was an absolute roller coaster of emotions and made me fall in love with the fantasy/sci-fi genre again. I haven’t read fantasy in years, so I wasn’t sure if I would get into but immediately I was drawn into this world that could be earth’s fate. It’s set in a world where basically nature fought back against us and almost wiped us out which I feel is very relevant in today’s times. Sarah is such an amazing protagonist. She’s a strong character who does what she thinks is right and adap ...more
Dave Webber
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Reading

Thought provoking story, that makes one wonder if it could happen. Starts off with the reader accepting the sense, but has one questioning it by the end.
Katie Carroll
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Since the Ecosystem awoke with a vengeance and took over the earth, Sensors are the only thing keeping what is left of humankind alive in their small stone village. Sarah, the newest Sensor, uses her gift to venture into the Ecosystem to hunt. She can feel and understand what the Ecosystem is thinking and what it will do, letting her navigate her way safely through it. But she hates the Ecosystem for killing her Sensor mother before Sarah even had a chance to remember her. Now it had taken anoth ...more
Barbara Barrow
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. On one level, it's an exciting adventure story about a young woman who trains hard to fight and gather food in a treacherous, post-apocalyptic ecosystem for a community of villagers who don't possess her sensory / psychic relationship to the environment. On another level, it's a cautionary tale about our antagonistic stance towards the natural world, and it raises other possibilities for the relationship between humans and ecosystems. The book moves swiftly and featur ...more
Mary Enck
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ecosystem is a study in believable world building. Astonishing to think of a forest filled with trees, flowers, plants and a vast assortment of insects, animals and unexpected, deadly creatures that keep the story rolling at a ferocious pace. As a lover of nature and forests, I am Druidlike in my beliefs and this story really touched me. That part of the tale and how the humans relate to it is very separate from the other rather normal relationships among the little village that is surrounded by ...more
Kristen
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read

I didn’t know what I was getting myself into when I started this book. I’ve definitely never read anything like it which was very intriguing to me. I mean, the idea that nature attacks humans...very interesting. I loved this book! At first, I didn’t know what to make of it but then I couldn’t put it down! The author did a great job of introducing new ideas and words in a seamless way. I’m going to go read the next one now because I can’t wait to find out what will happen!
Marlena
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading. I couldn't put this book down. It was an interesting twist on what nature could do to us and is nature picking off humans or protecting itself. I was impressed on how descriptive the books wand and how the author immerses the reader into Sarah's life. It made me think what role would I have if we lost all technology and had to start over. Of course I need to read the next book to the Ecosystem!!!!
Kristina Trawick
Spellbinding

On an Earth like, and unlike, the one we share with nature today, humans have evolved in order to survive a world where plants and animals alike have retained control over a race that was destroying it. This is the story of survival after cities, machines, all modern conveniences have disappeared. Can't wait to dive next book.
C.A. Knutsen
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing and rewarding book

An excellent first book in what promises to be a rewarding series. Realistic characters that you engage with right away. Brooding wrongness about the villages way of life hides in the shadows. The main characters struggles and growth are very well portrayed. The relationship with the ecosystem is intriguing.
Christa Yelich-Koth
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic story! I loved the descriptions of the 'sentient' forest and how the people interact with it. This book was definitely not your normal YA fantasy book. The main character was complex, the setting vivid, and it kept my attention the whole way through. Highly recommend this book! Can't wait for the next one!
Bee
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started off well- it was a fun YA read with an interesting concept. However, about 2/3 of the way through, it became hard to follow- it’s clear that the author had a really cool storyline in his head, but some details didn’t make it to paper and the flow became a little off.

Malayna Evans
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book--the living environment, the believable main character, the writing. Loved!
Catherine
I got bored and didn't finish it. The writing was good: smooth and vivd.
Iain Scrutton
Apr 26, 2018
Paul DiBara
Jul 27, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • Dawn of the Overlords (The Val-Harra Saga, #1)
  • The Traveller's Stone (The Haven Series, #1)
  • Unbound (Dawn of Deception #1)
  • Lights Over Cloud Lake
  • Magical Midlife Madness (Leveling Up #1)
  • Adopted by Indians: A True Story
  • Middle Falls Time Travel Series, Books 1-3
  • Obsolete Theorem
  • Midnight Kisses (Shifter Island, #1)
  • Stealing Embers (Fallen Legacies, #1)
  • Bad To The Bones (Evan Buckley Thriller, #1)
  • Time Bomb (The Collapse #1)
  • Betwixt (Betwixt & Between #1)
  • Havenwood Falls High Volume Five (Havenwood Falls High Collection #5)
  • Hell Week (America Falls #1)
  • The Sasha McCandless Series: Volume 1 (Sasha McCandless #1-3)
  • Heart of a Warrior
I've been writing novels since I was eight years old (though the first few were admittedly very short). A college teacher by day, I've published numerous works of science fiction and fantasy: the Querry Genn Saga (SURVIVAL COLONY 9 and SCAVENGER OF SOULS), the deep-space adventure FREEFALL, and the 4-part Ecosystem Cycle (ECOSYSTEM, THE DEVOURING LAND, HOUSE OF EARTH, HOUSE OF STONE, and THE LAST ...more

Ecosystem (4 books)
  • The Devouring Land (Ecosystem, #2)
  • House of Earth, House of Stone (Ecosystem, #3)
  • The Last Sensor (Ecosystem, #4)