Start by marking “The Secret of the Night Train” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Night Train

The Secret of the Night Train

When Max is sent to Istanbul to stay with her boring Great Aunt-Elodie, little does she expect to be plunged into a thrilling night-time adventure across Europe. And when the mysterious Heartbreak Diamond goes missing, Max must find her feet in a whirling world of would-be diamond smugglers, thieves and undercover detectives. Will she discover the real diamond thief before ...more
304 pages
Published May 3rd 2018 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Night Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Night Train

Sophie Crane
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A young girl called Max gets invited to go to see her grandma in Istanbul. Her journey there is by train from Paris, and she is taken by Sister Marguerite. Unknown by Max at the time of boarding the train, one of the passengers has a secretly hidden stolen diamond. Who is it? By the time Max gets to Istanbul, she has solved the mystery of who has the jewel, and who her grandma is actually is! What an adventure story! I enjoyed this book and found it entertaining and funny. The illustrations are ...more
Lily
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Delightful fun!

This is another book I was drawn to by the beautiful gold-foiled cover. I picked this one up expecting it to be historical fiction, and a kind of Agatha-Christie for kids, and was proven very wrong. I'm not sure where those ideas came from, but I was pleased to be surprised right from the start and taken on an adventure I didn't quite expect. It's set in the modern day and is not a murder-mystery, but a detective adventure story about a little girl and a nun trying to solve the my
Oda Renate
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
the mystery, the setting, the characters, its all so perrfect! love,love,love it.
Mehsi
When Max gets invited to visit her great-aunt in Istanbul she doesn't know what kind of adventures she will get into on the way to her aunt.

I have been in love with trains for a long time, and always wanted to make such a big trip with trains ever since I read Hercule Poirot Murder on the Orient Express! My motion-sickness would make it a bit harder to travel that much, but still I kept dreaming about it. So I couldn't resist this book that promised not only travelling by train but also mystery
Marco Giorgini
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really great book. First and last chapters are a warm and poetic and I simply love them - because they remember me about my younger self, reading this kind of novel, eons ago.
The rest of the story is different kind of joy: a clever crime plot (we're looking for a jewel thief) with lovable characters, on a train travel from Paris to Istanbul, with twists, a lazy police officer, and well a super cool nun.
Of course, this is a book for teenagers. But this doesn't mean it's not a nice experience ev
Christina Reid
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced middle-grade adventure starting in Paris and ending in Istanbul. Max's great aunt Elodie is ill and nobody else in her family is available to go and spend time with her (Mum and Dad have meetings, big sister has an international showjumping contest and big brother has a national chess competition) so Max sets off, accompanied by a disorganised nun, on a train journey across Europe.
Their departure is delayed when a famous diamond goes missing and police suspect that somebody on the t
theresa 🌸🥑
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
ahhh such cuteness!
middle grade books are my happy place and LOOK AT THE PRETTY PRETTY COVER and all the illustrations!!
Femke
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gelezen-2019
Wel leuk voor tussendoor maar soms wel een beetje te langdradig. De illustraties waren wel erg leuk!
Steph
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolute cracker of a book. Full of adventure, European cities and unlikely friends. I would love to be Max, travelling across Europe, on the hunt for a missing diamond. I am yet to find a Sylvia Bishop book I don’t love. Just wonderful.
Katy Noyes
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adolescent detective mystery, reminiscent of Agatha Christie.

Intelligent detective story for pre-teens. Max proves an Everygirl for readers, rising to the challenges presented with sense and spirit. Sent from her rather comfortable but staid existence to stay with her Great Aunt in Istanbul. she takes the cross-continental train with a Nun for a companion. At the same time, a famous diamond goes missing and she learns it may be aboard her train...

Who can Max trust? Can the diamond be close at ha
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This follows an inquisitive young girl called Max as she is sent to stay with her Great Aunt Elodie , and must take a night train through several European destinations in order to reach her in Istanbul, where she of course discovers a mystery connected to a high-profile jewel theft. I loved Max as a detective and how dedicated she was to solving the crime, and I thought the supporting cast (from potential culprits to incompetent police officers) were super enjoyable too, especially as a lot of t ...more
Ian Tymms
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very readable detective mystery set on a train trip from Paris to Istanbul. Some wonderful characters with just the right level of caricature to keep the story light and flowing. I particularly enjoyed Sister Marguerite's advice at the end of the novel:

"You might start to feel wanderlust, which is the opposite of homesickness, and makes you want to go anywhere and do anything. Most people have both homesickness and wanderlust in them. They are good things - keeping us grounded and keeping us m
Book Bazaar
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our junior book club read this and we loved it. This book was so much fun! We liked the detective adventure as we went with Max on the train from Paris to Istanbul trying to uncover who was the jewel thief on-board.

We scored it:
8.5 / 9 / 8 / 8.5
B
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
#booktubeathon 2018 read a book with a beautiful spine challenge
Super cute and fun middle grade book that reminds me of a cross between Harriet the spy and A child’s version without the adult content of murder on the orient express.
Georgina
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG this book is so AMAZING!!!I loved it so much.The plot twists were defiantly unexpected and took me by surprise.I definitely recommend this book!!!
Kate
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun read - a good mystery, a bit of adventure and some wonderful travel. I hope my son enjoys it as much as I did.
Lostwithoutabook
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book I’ve read all year! A fabulous adventure story of courage and curiosity, of friendship and reminding you to seize every opportunity that comes your way.
Samfriday
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun, fast paced adventure :)
Dawn Aytoun
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Superbly written for younger readers, with a great mystery narrative and fab twist. Fantastical and believable at the same time. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Liesl
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was sold to me as "a fun jewel heist with a detective nun", which was basically all that was required to put it on my instantly to-read list. And boy did it deliver. A quirky cast of characters going (sort-of) along the old Orient Express route, some fun twists, and the dynamic between Max and Sister Marguerite was just perfection.
Sienna Qin
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was an awesome book to read about my age and there was fabulous language in the story and very exciting to read. I couldn't take my eyes off it!!! :)
Ashley
Jun 07, 2018
Paige Hadley
Aug 16, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sylvia Bishop spent an entire childhood reading fiction, dreaming up stories and pretending. She then tried very hard to get to grips with the real world by studying politics and going in to social science research. This was a shock. Thankfully, she discovered improvised comedy at university, which allowed her to carry on making up stories for at least 30% of her waking hours.

Now she writes her st