Jump to ratings and reviews

All Men are Brothers: Autobiographical Reflections

All Men Are Brothers is a compelling and unique collection of Gandhi's most trenchant writings on nonviolence, especially in the context of a post-nuclear world. This compendium, which reads like a traditional book, is drawn from a wide range of his reflections on world peace.

"It is not that I am incapable of anger, but I succeed on almost all occasions to keep my feelings under control. Such a struggle leaves one stronger for it. The more I work at this, the more I feel delight in my life, the delight in the scheme of the universe. It gives me a peace and a meaning of the mysteries of nature that I have no power to describe." - Mahatma Gandhi.

210 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 1958

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mahatma Gandhi

588 books6,320 followers
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, commonly known as Mahatma Gandhi, was the preeminent leader of Indian nationalism in British-ruled India. Employing non-violent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for non-violence, civil rights and freedom across the world.

The son of a senior government official, Gandhi was born and raised in a Hindu Bania community in coastal Gujarat, and trained in law in London. Gandhi became famous by fighting for the civil rights of Muslim and Hindu Indians in South Africa, using new techniques of non-violent civil disobedience that he developed. Returning to India in 1915, he set about organizing peasants to protest excessive land-taxes. A lifelong opponent of "communalism" (i.e. basing politics on religion) he reached out widely to all religious groups. He became a leader of Muslims protesting the declining status of the Caliphate. Assuming leadership of the Indian National Congress in 1921, Gandhi led nationwide campaigns for easing poverty, expanding women's rights, building religious and ethnic amity, ending untouchability, increasing economic self-reliance, and above all for achieving Swaraj—the independence of India from British domination. His spiritual teacher was the Jain philosopher/poet Shrimad Rajchandra.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
‏تنها کسی می تواند زندگی را نجات دهد که از زندگی خویش بگذرد. ⁧‫
Profile Image for Amir .
555 reviews38 followers
January 25, 2010
برای من مهاتما گاندی بین رهبران نهضت ها یه جای ویژه داشته، همیشه سلوک اخلاقی و رفتاری ش برام محترم بوده. همیشه دوستش خواهم داشت. خودش میگه : «خشم، اسیدی است که به ظرف خود بیشتر از چیزی که به‌آن پاشیده می‌شود، آسیب می‌رساند.»

و «شاخ پربار سر بر زمین می‌نهد و عظمت آن هم‌چنان در فروتنی او جلوه‌گر است.
و درباره ش انیشتین میگه: «نسل آینده به سختی باور خواهد کرد که چگونه انسانی مرکب از پوست و استخوان، جهان را تغییر داد.

Profile Image for Amir Noferesti.
23 reviews4 followers
August 3, 2016
This one is a collection of quotations and passages from the Gandhi's writings. As before-mentioned it serves as an outstanding prolog to his ideas and values, there are many fascinating and inspiring quotations, remarkable hint at a restricted mind and a more human and flawed personality than the one held by conventional imagination. I recommend it, it is organized into the main statement of his teaching, We can create an idea of his belief in each division.
This book is infinitely inspiring! that's made me feel more courageous, intrepid and upheaval! This one is one of the books that changed my personality and state of mind and convert me to be a better person.

“I have nothing new to teach the world
Truth and non-violence are as old as the hills.“
― Mahatma Gandhi, All Men are Brothers

“Peace is neither taken nor given, only recognized within.”
― Mahatma Gandhi, All Men are Brothers

“There is an incident which occurred at the examination during my first year at the high school and which is worth recording. Mr. Giles, the Educational Inspector, had come on a visit of inspection. He had set us five words to write as a spelling exercise. One of the words was 'kettle'. I had misspelt it. The teacher tried to prompt me with the point of his boot, but I would not be prompted. It was beyond me to see that he wanted me to copy the spelling from my neighbour's slate, for I had thought that the teacher was there to supervise us against copying. The result was that all the boys, except myself, were found to have spelt every word correctly. Only I had been stupid. The teacher tried later to bring this stupidity home to me, but without effect. I never could learn the art of 'copying'. ”
― Mahatma Gandhi, All Men are Brothers: Autobiographical Reflections

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
― Mahatma Gandhi, All Men are Brothers: Autobiographical Reflections
Profile Image for Rinda Rinda.
67 reviews3 followers
August 13, 2010
This is a collection of excerpts spoken or written by Gandhi, split into chapters, divided by individual topics such as nonviolence, religion, brotherhood, women in society, etc.

Some parts are a bit repetitive and I did not really like how the excerpts were not sequential. They'd quote a passage from a speech Gandhi gave from the late '50s then the next one would be from the early '40s. The underlining message may be similar, but Gandhi was as human as the next and his views, ideals and even his psyche shifted and evolved as he aged. If you want to get a sense of the evolution of Gandhi and his teachings, this is not the book for you. If you want a collection of some well put together passages, this does the trick
Profile Image for ZaRi.
2,322 reviews765 followers
June 6, 2016
بعضی گمان می کنند که وقتی می بینیم چه چیز درست است آن را انجام می دهیم در حالی که چنین نیست. اغلب حتی هنگامی که می دانیم چه چیز درست است خود به خود راه راست را انتخاب نمی کنیم، بلکه "در برابر فشار تمایلات نیرومند خود مغلوب می شویم" و به کار نادرست می پردازیم و به نوری که در درونمان می تابد خیانت می ورزیم.
بنا بر نظریه های هندو "در حالت کنونی خویش، ما فقط نیمه انسان هستیم. پستی های ما هنوز حیوانی هستند."
تنها با پیروزی محبت بر غرایز پست ماست که بخش حیوانی وجودمان کشته می شود. با جریانی مداوم از تلاشها و خطاها و با تسلط با گامهای دردناک و دشوار در راه تکامل پیش می رود.
Author 1 book5 followers
May 4, 2013
Everyone should read this book and practice the things this great man experienced. I like that he was so humble and told us readers who he studied. I felt, when reading this, that the many things he talked about I do or felt. He put it into words for me and gave me something to strive towards.
Profile Image for Gina.
106 reviews7 followers
April 28, 2021
A little bit of this, a little bit of that and there we have it, the Gandhi “soup”. Too much repetition and the fact that the excerpts from Gandhi’s several books did not have cohesion even made me skim on the last half of the book.

What I did like was that Gandhi speaks his mind out and he does so in a very simple and clear manner. It is really easy to understand his message. Definitely will get myself his own books.
Profile Image for Frightful_elk.
218 reviews
January 10, 2009
This is a collection of quotes and extracts from the main writings of Gandhi. As such it serves as an excellent introduction to his ideas and practices, there are many beautiful and inspiring quotes, some that hint at a closed mind and a more human and flawed character than the one held by popular imagination. Overall I would recommend it, it is organised into the main themes of his teaching, so you can build up an idea of his opinions in each chapter, unfortunately, due to the many sources this can lead to a fair bit of repetition in the quotes.
Recommended.
Profile Image for Ehsan.
132 reviews25 followers
August 24, 2012
ابیاتی از کتاب همه مردم برابرند اثر مهاتما گاندی

من به کسانی که از مذهب خود با دیگران سخن می گویند و تبلیغ میکنند، مخصوصاً وقتی منظورشان این است که آنها را به دین خود در آورند، هیچ اعتقادی ندارم. دین و مذهب در گفتار نیست بلکه با کردار است و دراین صورت عمل هرکس خود عامل تبلیغ خواهد بود.

در حقیقت تنها خداوند از قلب اشخاص خبر دارد و به این جهت مطمئن ترین راه آنست که هیچ شخصی، چه زنده و چه مرده مورد ستایش قرار نگیرد و  فقط کمال الهی که همان حقیقت است مورد ستایش واقع شود.

Profile Image for Rosa Ramôa.
1,570 reviews64 followers
January 14, 2016
"A não violência é a maior força que a humanidade tem à sua disposição.É mais poderosa do que a arma mais destrutiva que o Homem alguma vez inventou.A resistência passiva é uma espada com múltiplas virtudes.Sem fazer correr uma gota de sangue,obtém resultados extraordinários (...).A nossa não cooperação não se dirige nem aos ingleses nem ao Ocidente,mas ao sistema que os ingleses nos impuseram e à civilização materialista que encoraja a cobiça e a exploração dos mais fracos".
Profile Image for Christina.
201 reviews
March 24, 2010
Interesting book. Gandhi's a lot less absolute about certain things like brahmacharya (celibacy) than I thought he would be. Although he would prefer a totally non-violent, pure, moral society, he comments that absolute abstinence from the world's temptations isn't easy for everyone. Gandhi unpacks a very compelling argument for non-violent non-cooperation.Very intriguing read.
Profile Image for Andrea Bovino.
87 reviews4 followers
March 11, 2014
"Se amiamo coloro che ci amano, questa non è non violenza. Non violenza è amare coloro che ci odiano".
Pensieri sparsi della Grande Anima che aprono il cuore e fanno riflettere su come sarebbe semplice vivere in questo mondo. Un altro di quei libri che sono tanto semplici quanto illuminanti.
Profile Image for Gilang Permana.
98 reviews20 followers
December 6, 2012
Sebuah pemikiran yang menarik dari Gandhi terutama tentang menjadi sosok manusia yang seutuhnya dengan menganut paham Ahimsa
Profile Image for Enrique.
14 reviews5 followers
July 27, 2017
Selección de textos sobre el pensamiento de Gandhi
Profile Image for Maurizio Manco.
Author 6 books90 followers
September 30, 2017
"Un errore non diventa verità perché se ne moltiplica la diffusione, né la verità diventa errore perché nessuno la vede."
127 reviews4 followers
October 29, 2017
Početni deo knjige je biografski. Drugi deo je o njegovom učenju. I na kraju knjige je nekoliko njegova pisama. Najzanimljivije mi je što šalje pismo i Hitleru da prekine rat. Najveći deo knjige je o njegovim učenjima i pogledima na svet. Gandi piše dosta filozofski, da tako kažem. Puno se ponavlja i pomalo je nejasan i teže se prati. Bar je meni tako. Knjiga je ustvari sastavljena iz drugih njegovih spisa i knjiga pa možda i to malo narušava kontinuitet. Sa pola njegovih shvatanja se ne bih slo��io. U principu zanimljivo je da se pročita, da se malo bolje upozna Gandi, njegova razmišljanja i život.
Profile Image for Ryan Alam.
37 reviews16 followers
October 1, 2017
if you ask me what the book was like ?
well, it's like you're swimming to someone mind, beautifull mind, Gandhi's mind that always fight for grater goods, with ni intention to harm anyone but only his own mind.
somehow, I envy for those who lived and have a one or two talks with Gandhi or seeing him on the face.
Yes, just like Obama, i would like to hava an afternoon tea or Morning coffe chat with Gandhi
Profile Image for Mahesh K Adewar.
63 reviews
January 9, 2020
Whenever I read something by him, My respect and admiration simply increase even more than before.

His ideas seems many times impractical but that the beauty of ideas. And he practiced many of the things that he believed in.
Profile Image for Hakkı Sayın.
128 reviews5 followers
June 12, 2019
Yarıda bıraktım. Gandhi'nin kişisel fikirlerine saygım azaldı ya.. keşke okumasaydım.
Profile Image for Robert Lei.
29 reviews
August 28, 2019
A collection of quotes from Gandhi's writings over his lifetime organized into sections provides great insight into the life, strife and aspirations of a great human.
Profile Image for DKay.
62 reviews1 follower
May 20, 2022
just found some repetition from another Gandhi's book
February 28, 2022
Gandhi's reflections provide more insight into the lessons of the human condition that fascinated him and I recommend any person interested in intersecting spiritualities to delve into it. I recognize that Gandhi, like many of us, possessed flaws that were a consequence of the world he entered, yet he made the best of it. Of his most profound ideas, Gandhi recognized that faiths were different vines of a common tree, to which I expand it to mean different trees in an unknown forest Gandhi's reflections demonstrated a constantly evolving thinking that intersects modern and ancient philosophies to address modern, yet continuous struggles for maintaining social order.
Profile Image for Ahmad Vaziri.
12 reviews
December 22, 2014
تنها چیزی که مارو متصل میکنه به حیوان,بعد از این همه تلاش برای ترفیع دادن خودمون نسبت به حیوانات همین غریزه جنگجو بودن و.خشونت _هیسما_مونه!انسان برای زنده بودن به محبت _اهیسما_بیشتر نیاز داره,نه خشونت.
Profile Image for Mohammad Reza.
4 reviews
January 23, 2018
به نسبت کتاب خوبی بود. فقط بعضی موضوعات رو خیلی تکرار میکرد. آدم حوصله ش سر میرفت
Displaying 1 - 30 of 30 reviews