Start by marking “Lord of the Butterflies” as Want to Read:
Lord of the Butterflies

Lord of the Butterflies

In Andrea Gibson's latest collection, they continue their artful and nuanced looks at gender, romance, loss, and family. Each emotion here is deft and delicate, resting inside of imagery heavy enough to sink the heart, while giving the body wings to soar.

“[Andrea Gibson’s poetry] will change the way you think about gender.” —Buzzfeed

“They seamlessly spin hopelessness into
Published November 27th 2018 by Button Poetry

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the Butterflies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of the Butterflies

Felicia
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Andrea Gibson introduced me to the power of poetry.

I thought verse was all flowers and love and a bunch of other crap that, not only could I not relate to, I also couldn't give one single solitary f#ck about.

YouTube is where my love affair with Andrea began. After inadvertently coming across a spoken word video (I was most likely watching pimple popping videos at the time) my view on poetry changed.

I changed.

I became educated on the LGBTQ community in a way that was relatable and tangible. I h
Ari
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
5 stars

Chills. I had bloody chills reading this book. Oh dear god, Andrea Gibson can do nothing wrong. As my favorite poet I wasn't expecting any thing less from her, but those freaking goosebumps were even better than I had anticipated!

ARC provided in exchange of an honest review via Netgalley
Vani
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favorites, arc-s, lgbt
Okay. Oh my goodness. Okay. This is actual magic. This is brilliance and beauty and tragedy and sorcery and I have never ever felt so much reading a poetry collection. I don't feel this much reading most things.
"I couldn't take a compliment
without feeling like a thief,
couldn't believe anything past the first page of me
was worth the read. It was a lie
when I said I couldn't take the long distance.
It was that I didn't want to drive
anything but a getaway car--"

I wanted this collection because I kne
Ana
Having read and absolutely loved The Madness Vase (2011) in October, I couldn’t wait to pick up Andrea Gibson’s newest collection of poems. Some bits were already familiar as they’d been playfully paired with beautiful drawings by Sarah J. Coleman for the 2018 Take Me with You illustrated volume published earlier this year. Also, thanks to Button Poetry’s amazing social media presence, I’m always in awe to watch videos of Gibson performing their poems on stage. In this case, it was “Ode to t ...more
Skirmish
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Reaction: http://neverhollowed.tumblr.com/tagge...
Rating: 5 Stars - absolutely perfect

I received a copy of Lord of Butterflies from Button Poetry via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Emma Scott
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
that we are not truly alone in this
that our veins are absolutely strings
tied to other people’s kites,
that our lives are that connected.
That my butterflies are never gone.

I don’t have anything better to say that the poet’s own words.
E.
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley

4 🌟

"You're going to kill your own god
so you can fall in love for the first time."

I first got interested in this book because of poetry from queer perspective but Gibson touches upon many other subjects, mainly -- politics, trump administration (they didn't capitalise his name so I won't do that as well), faith, family, disability, mental health, and suicide.

With so many subjects I would expect this not even 100 pages long work to be all over th
Chesca
ARC provided by Button Poetry via Netgalley in exchange for a review

Andrea Gibson's Lord of the Butterflies is a collection of poems that will pull at ankles and lift hearts up to shatter them like fireworks against dark skies.

With a focus on LGBTQ struggles, mental health, and family, Gibson built a door to welcome pain, loss, and love that will reform the lives of readers. This book is powerful and it matters.
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
Full review: http://swiftcoffee.blog/2019/01/05/lo...

I thought this was simply gonna be a book of love and suffering, and mostly about being queer, I guess I imagined something average, but god, this was something powerful!

It was both strong and sweet, it touched a lot of important subjects besides the life and situation of LGBTQIA+ people, like gun violence, war, racism, the way America (and the world) is heading, and more, and every word made me feel something. Every word had it's own purpose,
BadassCmd
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Do you remember the first record
Where we didn’t have to change
the pronouns to sing along? We’d gone
so many years without music
that knew us.”

I didn’t know any poem by Andrea Gibson before starting to read this collection, but I’m really happy I found this and got the chance to read it.

The cover is also really beautiful, which adds to my urge to get the paperback and have collection on my shelf to skip through from time to time.

I originally was interested in this because of the poems from the
Rebecca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
Thank you Netgalley for providing me with an earc copy of this book.

I enjoyed this collection of poetry. I connected to some of it and they made me feel things but even some I didn’t connect with made me feel things too. If you enjoy poetry I would recommend you to pick this up. I gave this a 3.75 out of 5 stars.
Kales
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't believe Andrea's poetry could get any better but it has. I loved being able to read some of the poems they read allowed when I saw them live back in February. I heard the poems in their voice and could easily recall the performances like they were yesterday.

This is a beautiful, heartbreaking collection with Andrea's signature style, wit, intelligence, and passion woven throughout. It is intoxicating and hard to put down -- save for those moments when you need a breather because you jus
Rilee Moulton
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly healing! My head spun in awe multiple times.
Gabrielle Carolina
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bir18
No one does love poems like Gibson does love poems.
Raven Black
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The ones without them as a main character are stronger, for my tastes, but all are relatable to someone
Jessica | Booked J
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2018
As a note, a copy of this novel was sent to me via NetGalley by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinions in any way. Review also found here at Booked J.

I know I've said it a hundred times over this year, last year, and several years before but: Lord of the Butterflies is a standout. Truly one of the best poetic releases of 2018. The thing that makes Lord of the Butterflies so poignant? Simple: Andrea Gibson.

And Gibson's voice is very important to note.
Jeremy Mifsud
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, lgbt, favourites
I have received an Advanced Review Copy from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Andrea Gibson is a spoken-word poet and I was sceptical that text could capture the magic of epic performances—it does. Reflecting the nature of spoken-word poetry, most poems were longer than to what I’m used to reading in journals. It’s harder work to have a five-page poem (on Kindle) that is continuously, word by word, attention grabbing. In addition, Andrea has mastered the art of indentation and line-br
Kirsten Tattersall
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

"But heat rises for the same reason people rise-because they have to. I think the heat would like to rest sometime, don't you?"

Before this book I had never heard any of Andrea Gibson's poetry but I feel I need to go back and read the rest of their works because this book was so emotionally effecting to me. I don't think there was a moment reading this collection that I wasn't crying or on the verge of tears.

I loved th
Amber
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Button poetry has been my go-to for my poetry fix, and here we are with another lovely title and cover... that didn't resonate with me.

I've said it before elsewhere, but I do think it is important to talk about queer experience and mental health, it is very important to see and hear their voices, but that doesn't make this poetry collection standout good. And it's not bad either!

These poems are better performed than read, so if you do like Gibson and want to carry a piece of their performance,
Kai
Seriously one of the best books of poetry I've ever read. They somehow take the swirling storm of my mind and put it into a words in a way that I can't, and I love it. "At the restaurant I say I have a small bladder, because it's less awkward than saying I'm going to spend most of this outing in the bathroom stall falling toward my death at the speed of darkness because my parachute doesn't open when I leave the house."
Claire
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, lgbtqia-rep
A collection of poems with very powerful messages and a gorgeous cover. I was first drawn to this book because it was tagged as LGBT poetry, but the collection touches on several other topics that are just as interesting and important. Some of the poems were not my cup of tea, but some were beautiful, thought-provoking, heartbreaking, and even difficult to read.

*I received a free copy of this book in an exchange for an honest review.*
Anne Oftedahl
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing

There are so many amazing poems in this collection!
"Orlando" made me cry, "Good Lights" made me feel things, and "Ode to the Public Panic Attack" was so relatable!
Incredible imagery in most of the poems, and all of them manage to stir emotions with seemingly no effort.
Only thing is that I tend to prefer shorter poems, and a lot of these were quite long, but the quality more than made up for it.
Emily Oliff
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Andrea Gibson blows me away more and more with each poem I read. I loved the way the collection intersected gender, queerness. politics, and family. One of the best collections of poetry I have read in a while.
Leigh
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"When all the good in you
starts arguing wih all the bad in you
about who you really are,
never let the bad in you
make the better case."

No one writes like Andrea Gibson or gets my heart like Andrea Gibson. Another of their triumphs to place on my shelf, to proudly stand with all the others I've read and read and read and read.
Russell Reidelberger
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My wife and I saw Gibson perform in St. Louis. I recognized some of the poems in here and could still hear the cadence they [Gibson's preferred pronoun] used. Their poems in this book match some of their earlier works. I love how they write POEMS. Too much of modern poetry is the Instagram phrase poems of two to five lines. Gibson writes poems that last a couple of pages and still manages to make every line just as deep.
Elke
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so fucking great. Review to come when i have a laptop and internet and am not in the middle of a move
But definitely read it
Kit
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like a lighthouse through a fog of uncertainty, Gibson's poetic work offers honesty, clarity, and illumination discussing place, (self)love, and the queer experience.
Sophie
I guess not all poetry is for me. Some of these poems really hit me hard in the chest, a big punch in the feels, but some others, I just couldn't connect to them, especially for the longer ones. But they speak of something important, this constant battle around us, about us and it's something more people need to read/hear.
Marie S.
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bought-in-2018
Some poems I really really liked, other didn't move me as much. Andrea Gibson is still my favorite poet ever!
Beth
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's official, Andrea Gibson is my favorite current poet. This book is just SO GOOD, so heartbreaking and lovely and angry and BRILLIANT. They are the real deal.

*Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC, provided by the author and/or the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Andrea Gibson is an award-winning poet and activist who lives in Boulder, Colorado. Their latest book THE LORD OF THE BUTTERFLIES will be published by Button in November 2018.

Their poetry focuses on gender norms, politics, social reform and the struggles LGBTQ people face in today's society. In addition to using poetry to express what they feel and provide social and political commentary on real
“When all the good in you
starts arguing with all the bad in you
about who you really are,