Start by marking “Lord of the Butterflies” as Want to Read:
Lord of the Butterflies

Lord of the Butterflies

In Andrea Gibson's latest collection, they continue their artful and nuanced looks at gender, romance, loss, and family. Each emotion here is deft and delicate, resting inside of imagery heavy enough to sink the heart, while giving the body wings to soar.
Published November 27th 2018 by Button Poetry

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the Butterflies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of the Butterflies

Start your review of Lord of the Butterflies
Felicia
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4/9/19
I'm going to go see Andrea live tonight and I'm kinda sorta maybe absofuckinglutely beside myself with glee.

This is my glee face 😃
Now you know.
__________________________________

Andrea Gibson introduced me to the power of poetry.

I thought verse was all flowers and love and a bunch of other crap that, not only could I not relate to, I also couldn't give one single solitary f#ck about.

YouTube is where my love affair with Andrea began. After inadvertently coming across a spoken word video (
☽•☾-Ari
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
5 stars

Chills. I had bloody chills reading this book. Oh dear god, Andrea Gibson can do nothing wrong. As my favorite poet I wasn't expecting any thing less from her, but those freaking goosebumps were even better than I had anticipated!

ARC provided in exchange of an honest review via Netgalley
Moi  Baltazar
• I received an ARC of this book from Button Poetry via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review •

"You're going to kill your own god
so you can fall in love for the first time."

Isn't it wonderful when literature grasp you tight and doesn’t let go? Lord of the Butterflies by Andrea Gibson does exactly that.

I think this book is probably one of the most fascinating books of poetry I ever read in no exaggeration. It is lyrically seductive, relatable, and heartbreaking, but the thing I liked
Emma Scott
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
that we are not truly alone in this
that our veins are absolutely strings
tied to other people’s kites,
that our lives are that connected.
That my butterflies are never gone.

I don’t have anything better to say that the poet’s own words.
Beatrice Masaluñga
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beatrice by: Chesca (thecrownedpages)
Shelves: arc
Thank you Button Poetry for providing an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Is it possible to get chills reading a poetry collection? Andrea Gibson's Lord of the Butterflies did. The poems centered on mental health, love, pain, loss and queer relationships. It's heartwrenching, raw, emotional and honest. My favorite poem is Orlando. That piece struck me hard woth sadness, anger and pain. An outcry to the innocent victims of the nightclub massacre years ago and the last two verses
Carrie
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of Andrea Gibson before reading this book of poetry. I definitely know her now. In fact, very intimately as a result of her vulnerability and frank openness.

The overall feeling while experiencing these poems was moroseness. My heart broke with each new page. Sure, there were sprinkles of positive reflection. But there was mostly a theme of sadness.

Sexual Identity, Sibling struggles, Tragedy, Religion, Anxiety, Depression, Politics, and Suicide are all tackled topics within th
Ana
Having read and absolutely loved The Madness Vase (2011) in October, I couldn’t wait to pick up Andrea Gibson’s newest collection of poems. Some bits were already familiar as they’d been playfully paired with beautiful drawings by Sarah J. Coleman for the 2018 Take Me with You illustrated volume published earlier this year. Also, thanks to Button Poetry’s amazing social media presence, I’m always in awe to watch videos of Gibson performing their poems on stage. In this case, it was “Ode ...more
E.
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley

4 🌟

"You're going to kill your own god
so you can fall in love for the first time."

I first got interested in this book because of poetry from queer perspective but Gibson touches upon many other subjects, mainly -- politics, trump administration (they didn't capitalise his name so I won't do that as well), faith, family, disability, mental health, and suicide.

With so many subjects I would expect this not even 100 pages long work to be all over
Skirmish
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Reaction: http://neverhollowed.tumblr.com/tagge...
Rating: 5 Stars - absolutely perfect

I received a copy of Lord of Butterflies from Button Poetry via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
nitya
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Magnificent, heart wrenching and so powerful the body literally aches. This was my first book by Gibson, and I’m so eager to read more of their work!
Chesca (thecrownedpages)
ARC provided by Button Poetry via Netgalley in exchange for a review

Andrea Gibson's Lord of the Butterflies is a collection of poems that will pull at ankles and lift hearts up to shatter them like fireworks against dark skies.

With a focus on LGBTQ struggles, mental health, and family, Gibson built a door to welcome pain, loss, and love that will reform the lives of readers. This book is powerful and it matters.
BadassCmd
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Do you remember the first record
Where we didn’t have to change
the pronouns to sing along? We’d gone
so many years without music
that knew us.”

I didn’t know any poem by Andrea Gibson before starting to read this collection, but I’m really happy I found this and got the chance to read it.

The cover is also really beautiful, which adds to my urge to get the paperback and have collection on my shelf to skip through from time to time.

I originally was interested in this because of the poems from t
Kyle
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, netgalley
Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a copy of this book.

Actual rating: 3.75

Moving insights and ruminations on sexuality, identity, gender, addiction, and mental illness. There are also themes of longing, grief, love (freeing, touching, as well as unrequited), sadness— poems that sweep you up and away, and poems that drag you into their depths and hold you there ‘til you feel it, too.

(There were plenty of “HITS” in this collection, but also quite a few “MISSES”, too, which ultimately k
Hussein Baher
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars, 2019, gbltq, poetry
[gay anger]
_______________________________________
The is the first poem book i actually liked.
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
Full review: http://swiftcoffee.blog/2019/01/05/lo...

I thought this was simply gonna be a book of love and suffering, and mostly about being queer, I guess I imagined something average, but god, this was something powerful!

It was both strong and sweet, it touched a lot of important subjects besides the life and situation of LGBTQIA+ people, like gun violence, war, racism, the way America (and the world) is heading, and more, and every word made me feel something. Every word had it's own purpose,
Kales
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't believe Andrea's poetry could get any better but it has. I loved being able to read some of the poems they read allowed when I saw them live back in February. I heard the poems in their voice and could easily recall the performances like they were yesterday.

This is a beautiful, heartbreaking collection with Andrea's signature style, wit, intelligence, and passion woven throughout. It is intoxicating and hard to put down -- save for those moments when you need a breather because you jus
Clem (the villain's quest)
"I couldn't take a compliment without feeling like a thief, couldn't believe anything past the first page of me was worth the read. "

While I deeply appreciated the topic discussed (gender, depression, mental health, self-love, family, love in general, politics, religion...) I didn't fall in love with the collection as a whole.

As always, poetry is subjective but I didn't feel connected to the stories, it didn't pull me in and make me feel like I was seeing inside the poet's soul like poetry is
Isaiah
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To see more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book.

This book of poetry is pretty fantastic. There were a few poems that either went entirely over my head or I just didn't enjoy them, but overall there was an emotional punch here that I enjoyed. The topics ranged from break-ups to the Pulse nightclub shooting to the current presidency.

There was a lot more about gender in this collection than the last one I read. I enjoyed the gender conversation. If I had read this when I wa
Basma
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
(3.5) Rating poetry is hard but I liked this collection. I’m going to be seeing them live this month and I’m a little bit too excited about that.
Skyeofskynet
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While being in London I walked into Gay's The Word (LGBT+ bookstore I highly recommend) and I asked for "lesbian Richard Siken".
And while Andrea Gibson does not give me the poetic experience of "Crush", I've read one of their books on the floor of the bookstore and walked home with another.

And I didn't like it. I've read half of it and felt so disappointed.

It turned out that I needed time. I took the book in my hands yesterday and I went through it again and it hit me in the right places. It's
Samu
It took me over a year to read this through for the first time. You'll understand why if you try to read it yourself.

"A few years ago a friend asked if
you'd ever had a childhood. You
said, No - but that wasn't right.
What you haven't had is an
adulthood. The wound still your
mouth. The tantrum still your world.
Nothing ever louder in your head
than the thought, I'm way too young
for this.
How little you were when
you started wanting your mother to love you [-]."

"[--] but a wise heart told me
it'
jordan
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Relevant and written to be both relatable and deeply personal. Some of the poems seemed like they’d be better off as spoken word, though.

“Let’s hyperventilate like it’s 1999.”
Mo
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned, poetry
I like almost everything about this collection. The metaphors, description of feeling, the rhythm... they are truly an artist. It is also quite impressive that they cover several subjects but the transition is so smooth that you do not even notice it. The main topics were gender, queerness, love, politics, atheism, abuse and depression. I couldn't relate to most of these but mysterically Gibson made me feel like I could. I preferred the first part because it is about themselves and their feeling ...more
Becca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
Thank you Netgalley for providing me with an earc copy of this book.

I enjoyed this collection of poetry. I connected to some of it and they made me feel things but even some I didn’t connect with made me feel things too. If you enjoy poetry I would recommend you to pick this up. I gave this a 3.75 out of 5 stars.
Rimsha
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Powerful collection with some heart-wrenching lined. Beautiful.
Siobhán
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks for the free poetry collection!*

I really enjoyed "Lord of the Butterflies" by Andrea Gibson, who is an American activist and poet. Their poetry (as far as I can tell from this poetry collection) focusses on gender identity, LGBTQ and political issues such as gun violence, war and the possibility of social reforms. Some poems were hard to read and made me sad. Nevertheless, I already recommended the book to a colleague at m
Giulia
TW: panic attacks, depression

Actual rating: 3.5 ⭐️

A great, thought-provoking, sometimes heart-wrenching collection of poems.

Deeply appreciated the topics tackled: sexuality, gender, mental health, self-love, family, love in general, politics, religion... The more the merrier, really.

As always, though, poetry is incredibly subjective. So I have to say that I truly adored some poems, but some others did not resonate with me.
Nonetheless, I would recommend this.
It was, without a doubt, a touchin
Amy
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher for the chance to read this poetry collection!

Title: Lord of the Butterflies
Author: Andrea Gibson
Rating: 3 stars
Rep: non-binary author

Themes: grief, mental illness, identity, gender and sexuality, moving on and letting go, politics.

I want to start off by saying, that this is definitely a "me not you" situation, I just couldn't connect to the writing style and I was slightly confessed and lost a lot of the time. I really appreciate the subject matters the
Lizzie S
I first encountered Andrea Gibson's work in Button Poetry and I have been wanting to read this ever since. I am so glad I finally did.

The final poem ends:

"I could feel the freckles
on my 15-year-old face
warming in its glow.

I could feel hope
traveling backward
to find us.

to whisper in our chests,
There will be music for you
one day.
"

It was an incredible gift to see myself in these poems, to read this music that feels like it was made for me and for other queer folks like me. I am deeply grateful
Hizatul Akmah
** thanks to Netgalley and Button Poetry for this free ebook copy in exchange for an honest review **

this collection of hard-punch poems is a lot to take in one day but i couldn't stop reading them. my personal favourites are Orlando and Living Proof.
10/10 would be highly recommended indeed!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Our Numbered Days
  • The Only Worlds We Know
  • New American Best Friend
  • Soft Science
Andrea Gibson is an award-winning poet and activist who lives in Boulder, Colorado. Their latest book THE LORD OF THE BUTTERFLIES will be published by Button in November 2018.

Their poetry focuses on gender norms, politics, social reform and the struggles LGBTQ people face in today's society. In addition to using poetry to express what they feel and provide social and political commentary on real

News & Interviews

“I suffer
from unrequited self love.
I love myself, but I don’t
Love myself
back.”
10 likes
“When all the good in you
starts arguing with all the bad in you
about who you really are,
never let the bad in you
make the better case.”