Start by marking “Date & Time” as Want to Read:
Date & Time

Date & Time

Phil Kaye's debut collection is a stunning tribute to growing up, and all of the challenges and celebrations of the passing of time, as jagged as it may be. Kaye takes the reader on a journey from a complex but iridescent childhood, drawing them into adolescence, and finally on to adulthood. There are first kisses, lost friendships, hair blowing in the wind while driving t ...more
Published August 14th 2018 by Button Poetry

To ask other readers questions about Date & Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Date & Time

Darshita Jain
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phil Kaye knows how to use euphemisms. He just does it so effectively that you are caught up in the beauty of his poetry and do not realize how and when the poem hit you the hardest. I come from a broken home and Phil Kaye's utter honesty broke my heart. His book resonated with me on so many levels, and the guilt with which he writes about feeling all he felt, i have never come across that particular emotion, so vividly.

I had been waiting a long time for Phil's book to release and then arrive.
Angeline Lee
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
My favorites: Succulent, Camaro, Hunt, On Starting, Ferris Wheel, My Grandmother’s Ballroom, Unalienable. This book was a nice day in the swimming pool, but never the ocean.
Kayla
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Phil's poems are genuine and raw with emotion. I cried and laughed reading this book.
Rhonda
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Almost as good as his spoken word performances.
Hadn't cried over my parents' divorce in a while so thanks I guess
Charlotte
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I discovered Phil Kaye, like coincidentally all my favourite poets, through the Button Poetry Youtube channel. Continuing to blossom on the American poetry scene, Phil Kaye now presents his debut collection to the public.

Date & Time focuses on... well exactly what it says in the title. The concept of time is explored with Phil Kaye sharing small moments from his life in a non-linear sense. This is because while time passes by chronologically, we, as humans, are constantly looking back on sig
Mo
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, poetry
3,5 stars.

Okay, so I really liked this, but as I expected, I think I miss the power, elegance and beauty of Phil Kaye's voice while reading this. I think Phil Kaye is a much better slam poet than a writer, but nonetheless some of the poems and sentences will have me thinking for a while. The metaphor-game is also really strong, and I liked the set-up (first the end, than the beginning, than the middle because "every story has a beginning, middle and end, but not necessarily in that order").

Fav
Gryffin  Tylers
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m in love with spoken word poetry and Phil truly is one of the greats. Fist off the cover is gorgeous, second off the poetry was lovely. I know of Phils work mainly from his videos on button so It was really interesting to see some of his poetry was written out and what style it takes on the page and how that translates to being spoken aloud.

I really like how Phil often talks of his family history and how that shaped his life, that a very different theme than what most poets go for. Phil also
Glenda York
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Raised in a California beach town by a Japanese mother and Jewish-American father, the author first fell in love with spoken word poetry at age 17. He has performed in hundreds of venues in fifteen countries. In 2015, Phil was invited to perform alongside His Holiness The Dalai Lama for the celebration of his 80th birthday. His work has been viewed online over 10 million times and featured in media outlets ranging from NPR to Al Jazeera America to Upworthy.com. I have been a big fan of his spoke ...more
Diana  Marie
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Phil Kaye is on the right track and I'd like for him to keep writing and growing. Kaye is at his strongest when he writes about his parents' divorce and the trauma he experienced as a result of that split. He also writes about race, particularly his experience as an Asian American. I enjoyed how Kaye challenged our idea of linear time by positioning the poems out of chronological order. With all that said, some of his poems felt amateurish, like he almost had something going but then fell flat. ...more
Maya Williams
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phil Kaye's collection re-emphasizes the importance of time, and the intricacies of healing that comes with time, is non-linear. His focus on divorce, relationships, race, history, mental health, body image, the present in our post 2016-election era, and family in his poetry is worth delving into.

His distinct voice is one that becomes easily captivating because of its honesty and humor. Child-like and adult simultaneously.

You'll enjoy it!
Noel René
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Un libro que explora con belleza la infancia. Kaye lleva a sus lectores a compartir su pasado, hacerlos partícipes de ese pasado. Los abuelos del poeta son captados en apenas unos versos y con ellos es suficiente para admirar en toda su dimensión a esos seres humanos que con tanto amor son evocados en los poemas. El tiempo del despertar también está presente, el despertar del deseo, pero también el desengaño (como un despertar).
Madison Rene'
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was so sure I'd love this because I've always been in awe of how well he and Sara Kay can perform together and work together towards amazing progress in the world through their writing and artistry. But I was not prepared to laugh and weep without even knowing why - everything about this book was perfectly poised and stunningly penned. I love the honesty and history of each piece also. Highly recommend this to every new poet and to everyone willingly searching for themselves.
Aric Hluch
Dec 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Some free verse poetry is absolutely grand and breathtaking - think "The Wasteland," by T.S. Eliot. Then there's some modern free verse poetry that is so unbelievably terrible that you wonder how it could ever be published, let alone respected by any thinking person. How this collection of poems has such a high average rating is impossible for me to understand. What happened to poetry?
Farahin Nurfarahin
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fain2018
Im biased because i love phil kaye since the moment i encounter this poet. This is one of the most beautiful book cover.

He wrote beautifully about divorce, although it is ugly.

I love it when ben made another appearance. I love it that some i dont understand, but thats the beauty of poetry.
Will read this over and over, i am sure.
Make another book, i will buy it.

Love from Malaysia.
RSterling
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book proves that Kaye's words can be just as effective on paper as they are when spoken. He touches on similar themes of family, culture, and coming of age that Rupi Kaur does in her books. I encourage any poetry fan to purchase this collection.

Poems that hit me the hardest: "Phantom Limb" and "Ferris Wheel"
Bree
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge Phil Kaye fan. I've seen him live twice and read his last book vigorously with a highlighter in hand. So as you can imagine, when this book was announced I was ecstatic. I set aside some time to really dive head first into this collection of work, and I wasn't disappointed. He has this way of storytelling that is so unique. Every poem he writes comes to live right off the pages. You are living in these moments of time with him and it almost feels like your time traveling through some ...more
Chelsea McMillen
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
//3.5//

This is a good collection. Emotionally vulnerable, well thought-out premise.
Only reason it is not receiving a higher rating is because it feels like it could still benefit from editing, from finding what truly shines and removing other elements that may distract from those key moments.
Highlight? My Grandmother’s Ballroom and Teeth. Kaye is at his best when exploring his family.
Trecia
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I savored this book. I enjoyed every page, and knew I would since I'm a big fan of Kaye's work. This was one of my favorite reads for the year. The heartwarming stories and sometimes sorrowful ones are both equally amazing.
kristine
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, poetry
i discovered phil through his and sarah's poem when love arrives and i really liked the work i've found after.

i couldn't help but cry a little over the poem about his grandmother. he's such a beautiful writer
Beth Barron
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled on Phil Kaye several years ago while in college and have been a fan since. This collection is wonderful, thought-provoking, and honest.
Turnthedamnpage
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful work. A few pieces struck me deep enough to crush my soul in the best way possible.
A.
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Definitely a lot of good feels for those of the multicultural persuasion and for millennials struggling with the weird world we live in (especially with the many pros and cons of the Internet!) This is one I'm sure to show to many of my friends.
Kristen
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The connecting concepts throughout this book was fantastic. Some poems were noticeably stronger than others.
Sara
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the first collection I’ve read by Phil Kaye, and while he’s a talented poet, I’m not a huge fan of his style. I particularly loved “Unalienable”. 3 stars.
LexReads
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phil's Use of Language is exquisite. it is beautiful, relatable, heart warming, and definitely worth the read.
Gwen
Mesmerizing!
Abigail
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Phil’s poems feel like a long talk with a very wise, yet hopeful friend. They feel like those late night conversations I had on my dorm room floor with my best friends where we would laugh and cry and talk about our childhood and somehow manage to fall asleep feeling optimistic about the future.

He is an excellent poet. His subject matter here is engaging and diverse. I have long been enchanted by his grasp and use of the written word, and I cannot wait to see what he has in store for the world
Julia Hong
Jan 29, 2019
Fallen Catalyst
Oct 27, 2018
Manal Ghanem
Oct 31, 2018
  • Bitter Virgin, volume 2 (Bitter Virgin, #2)
  • চলে যায় বসন্তের দিন (হিমু, #11)
  • When I Grow Up I Want to be Mary Beard
  • Her Officer and Gentleman (Just Ask Reeves, #2)
  • Pansy
  • Nothing Is Okay
  • Mars, Vol. 8
  • A Love Song, A Death Rattle, A Battle Cry
  • Perennial
Raised in a California beach town to a Japanese mother and Jewish-American father, Phil first fell in love with spoken word poetry at age 17. Since then, he has performed in hundreds of venues in fifteen countries. His work has been viewed online over five million times and featured in media outlets ranging from NPR to Al Jazeera America to Upworthy.com. Most recently, Phil was invited to perform ...more