Start by marking “Absinthe of the Heart (Sins of the Heart, #1)” as Want to Read:
Absinthe of the Heart (Sins of the Heart, #1)

Absinthe of the Heart

(Sins of the Heart #1)

Two households, unlike in dignity, in the City of Angels is where we lay our scene...

London Sinclair was the boy my mother warned me about for as long as I can remember. His name alone has brought my family nothing but shame and suffering, so it’s no surprise we’ve been sworn enemies since the first moment we met.

With his bedroom eyes and cocky smile, he has all the girl
Paperback, 1st edition, 412 pages
Published May 14th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Absinthe of the Heart, please sign up.
Monica James Sequel will be released September/October. I don't think there is a cliff-hanger, seeing as there are 2 books, the story will continue on. xoxo

Olga therebelreader
This book has all the perfect ingredients for contemporary romance. I found the characters to be very likable, not only London and Holland, but their best friends and family as well. I loved the way the romance developed in this story. Their slow transition from hostility to a deeper understanding and eventually, to love was beautifully played out. This love story will warm your heart, and make you long for the days of first loves, when you could look into someone's eyes and although they have f ...more
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absinthe of the Heart (Sins of Yesterday #1) by Monica James
5 stars!!!!

“London Sinclair didn’t just break my heart; he fucking set it on fire and threw the ashes to the wind. I loved him, and in return, he danced on my grave.”

OMG, Monica James, what have you done? This author never fails to drag my heart and my emotions through the wringer. This author never fails to knock me on my ass either. I went into this book blind, my chin is on the floor, I have read the last chapter about ten times
Snow

well, hawt damn...

I actually didn't have in my plans to read this book at this moment and I can't really explain how or why I have decided to do so BUT I did and I have absolutely NO regrets except for NOT READING IT SOONER...

Now, I am not really a huge fan of emotional triangles, quadrouples or whatever the combo in question it is (well, unless it's a sex thing, obviously LOL) but the complicated and complex situations of the hearts simply make me angsty to the point I want to scream and hit sm
Pick a Book
English / Português

4,5 stars

I love Romeo and Juliet. I've read the book, I've seen all the versions - as far as I know - of movies. So when I read this synopsis, the fact of having a forbidden vibe already caught my attention. The book takes the basis of Shakespeare's story by placing two families who can not stand each other. But make no mistake. The course of the story has much more drama and surprises. Monica James loves to make our heart race, huh? And what a roller coaster that was!!! There
Nova  Brantley
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I skimmed thru this one cause it was so cliche nothing original. 😜 guessed the cliffhanger from the start.
Katie
May 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
The story was way too predictable and full of cliches. I was really looking forward to reading this book, but in the end I was quite disappointed with the characters. I have read this for a thousand times and it felt so unoriginal. I really liked the author's other books, but this one was just boring.
Sandra Shipman ~ Two Book Pushers
Absinthe of the Heart is the first book in the Sins of the Heart series (or duet?) I am not sure...yet. Either way, Monica James has once again given us an epic story that I will never forget. If you follow my reviews then you might know that I don’t read many blurbs before I dive in. If I love the author’s work then I like to go in head first. Once again. I did that with this book and I loved that I did. I don’t want to spoil anything so I will try to make this short.

London and Holland were bo
AC Book Blog (Anne Christine)
Absinthe of the Heart (Sins of Yesterday # 1) by Monica James

OMG!!!! What the heck woman! This book is freaking delicious but now I am dying for book two. I actually went in blind because Monica James is one of my favorite authors and I love her stories and her writing style. Once again, she delivered a unique story filled with angst, drama, suspense, and a roller coaster romance. SO GOOD!!! It ended in a cliffy.

Right from the prologue, I was intrigued by the circumstances and the colorful past
HeatherP
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I had a massive book funk the week I tried to start reading this book. It took me several tries to get into and I know it's not the books fault. I'm so sad this epic book was affected by my funk and it ruined my reading experience.

“What was done could never be undone, and what they’d all done would never be forgotten…or forgiven, for generations to come.”

I have watched every version of Romeo & Juliet movies. I will read any book that has the same premise because I love Shakespeare and that
Reading with 2 book lovers
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I guess the saying rings true - Absence makes the heart grow fonder."
omg miss James is a genius and has done it again, London and Holland are supposed to be enemies because there moms hate each other!
"London Sinclair is off limits, and no matter what I think I feel, that rule can never, ever be broken"
this was an angsty filled heart pounding story.
London is the bad boy, star of the football team that everyone swoons over.
"I finally feel...somthing after feeling dead for so long"
I was addicted t
Gina Wojcik
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Monica James is my new favorite author!

Ms James definitely has a way of making a reader connect. I was hooked as soon as i read the first couple of pages.

To get a little more descriptive about the story, Absinthe of the Heart was divided by years. It started back in 1977 with Holland and London’s parents’ it set forth an interesting tale. I liked that the past was put out there right at the beginning, and wasn’t some secret to unfold. After the prologue, the story switches to when Holland and
Shyralf
4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Stars! This was an Enemies to lover/Second chance at Love/Forbidden all mixed up in one delicious package. I was addicted from the prologue, such a great hook. I loved romance reads where they are supposed to hate each other because their families have a bad history together but they somehow can’t resist each other, I love that! And of course they are forbidden to be with each other but we know how that goes, right?!

London and Holland was destined to want each other, it just couldn’t be
Saunders
Having circled my Kindle so many times this week to try and find something that was "different" I came across Absinthe of the Heart.

The title was the first thing that caught my eye and then that book cover - quite alluring.

This book delivers a passionate romance based (to a degree) on Romeo and Juliet but with a slightly different twist.

Read it in one sitting - roll on September for book 2. What will happen?
Flo Grugel
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really solid read, good characters and a twist at the end. I've never read Monica James before and I'll definitely be reading more of this series.
The Book Fairy Reviews
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Romeo and Juliet the ultimate romance and Monica has given us just that. Two households that have destroyed the future of two people that have fallen in love despite their family names. Holland and London are the modern day doomed couple, that may have a chance at a happier ending that the one that Shakespeare gave us. We have drama and passion, we have betrayal and more than just the two couples that are affected by the epic family battle.
From the beginning you fall for bad boy London and his f
Nancy❤The❤Bookaholic
I am in love with this book! It pulled all sorts of emotions out of me. That's when I knew I'm reading an Amazing book! This book starts with the introduction of Delores and Kayla and how their friendship started. They become best friend until high school where Bobby is the cause of their friendship ending. That's when life changed for everybody and grudges lasted generations.

Fast forward about 17 years and you get introduced to London, Lincoln, Belle and Holland. History repeats itself but this
Ptiteaurel
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started this novel yesterday and I couldn't stop reading it. Monica wrote a modern version of Romeo & Juliet and I loved it. London and Holland s story is doomed since The beginning since their parents ' hatred for each other is palpable. We Will follow them from their childhood to their adulthood. The tension is still there so is he hatred. I noticed all the références to The original play and it was exciting to discover their stories. The cliffhanger leaves us wanting for more and We can ...more
Stacey #northsouthbookblog
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and I couldn’t put it down!

In the prologue is where we meet the parents of London and Holland at school, and see how their actions set a series of consequences meaning their children have grown up hating one another...or have they?

London is the boy who has everything - the looks, the money, the girls throwing themselves at him as he’s the school quarterback - except for loving parents. He is a reminder of the reason they are together and they barely give him the time of day.

Ho
Amy [Book Addict Reviews]

Oh Monica, you are going to kill me one day!

This modern take on Romeo and Juliet is amazing. The chemistry between London and Holland is off the charts. I could not put this book down and was hooked from the first page!

The flow of the book was great. I loved that we had a lot of detail into what happened between London and Holland's parents v
Laura Williams
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow. This book was so incredible that I did not want it to end. The author kept you on your feet. And kept you guessing. Such an emotional rollercoaster!

There are two kids in high school the High school jock London and quiet girl Holland. London’s aim in life is to make Holland’s life hell by constantly provoking her. Things change when at a party London takes the rap for trespassing so that Holland does not got in trouble by the police as she was looking for her friend Bella. Due to Lon
Maheswari
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Tanya Rae ~ TaSTy WordGasms
I loved reading Absinthe of the Heart! If you love angst driven books then this is the book for you.

I fell in love with Absinthe of the Heart and is the first book in the Sins of Yesterday series! If you love angst in your books you should love this book! I read in Monica James bio that she loves “writing honest, heartfelt and turbulent stories”. You get all 3 of these with Absinthe of the Heart.

Do you believe in history repeating itself? This is London Sinclair and Holland Brooks story. Their
Kristin
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I really loved this book! This is a must read and I hope we don’t have to wait long for another book!!!

After I read the prologue I was instantly hooked.

In the beginning we are introduced to London and Holland’s parents and how their friendship developed and how things changed as they got older.
The characters are relatable and you instantly have a connection with them.

London has always been mean and has given Holland a hard time at school and she just can’t wait to get school over with.
She m
Tissues-2
Overall Rating-5
Kindle eArc provided by Author
Reviewed by Stephanie

I love coming across an author I’ve never read before and just falling completely in love with their book! Omg everything about this story was so damn good. From the characters you just couldn’t help falling in love with to the ten tons of angst and shoot, I liked it so much I am even willing to forgive Monica James for the killer cliffhanger she left us with! I mean seriously that alm
Patricia Wonderland
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Monica James comes back with a beautiful and suspenseful story, with the writing i love so much, the kind of writing that goes straight to your heart.
Another author wouldn't have started with Holland and London's parents story. But the prologue is a good idea. Our heart first melt for Holland's mother. We discover where she comes from, how important is her background, her family and her friendship with London's mother. So we understand better all the pain, the guilt and the anger between both o
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absinthe of the Heart gutted me. I am completely blown away by how amazing this book was. I shouldn’t have expected any less after reading Monica James’ Memories from Yesterday series. The novel packed an emotional punch from the beginning and just kept pummeling my heart for the entirety of the story. I’m not sure how I’m going to survive until the next book is released because I NEED more of Holland and London.

You kind of get a twofer with this story. I loved getting that little glimpse into t
Jeraca
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, new-adult-novels
I received this eARC novel from the author. This is my honest review.
Release Date: April 3, 2018

London Sinclaire and Holland Brooks are sworn enemies. Not because of anything they did, but because their mothers were best friends, before a terrible betrayal happened between them 17 years ago.

Now, Holland is focused on getting a scholarship to be a lawyer and get out of her judgmental town. And to escape the tortures that London, or "Sin" as he likes to call himself, has been giving her since th
Sara
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not often that I read a book where I find myself having to step away from my device at the end to digest everything I just read but that is exactly what I had to do with Absinthe of the Heart.

Absinthe of the Heart is an absolutely brilliant modern day telling of Romeo and Juliet. I can honestly say that I've never read anything like this book. My mind is still reeling after finishing it!

"London Sinclair didn't just break my heart; he fucking set it on fire and threw the ashes to the wind.
April Symes
Monica James O-M-G what in gods name have you done? This is an emotionally gripping novel that had me in all kinds of states- my emotions were torn, shredded, glued together, then torn apart. This book was darkly delicious because of the layers and of the characters involved. It is a unique story that is not your typical enemies to lovers read. It is filled with drama, suspense, angst, intrigue and a heap of romance to boot.
In the prologue is where we meet the parents of London and Holland at s
Erika PBookHavenBookBlog
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
"We're meant to hate one another, be feuding enemies for all time-but how can you hate something that you love most in this world?"

Move over Romeo and Juliet, here comes Sin (London) and Holland!! These two were MADE to hate each other for things that happened with their parents, but even with the hysterical banter between these two, you easily figure out the attraction trumps what they've been told. Sin's sheer magnetism from the pages had me glued, he was like stop-in-your-tracks intense and I
« previous 1 3 4 next »
New Adult Book Club: Monica James Signed Paperback Giveaway! ~ CLOSED! 29 79 Oct 21, 2018 12:25AM

• A Door County Christmas: Four Romances Warm Hearts in Wisconsin's Version of Cape Cod
  • Christmas at Barncastle Inn
  • Cowboy's Redemption (The Montana Cahills, #4)
  • Love and Other Hazards
  • A Gift for Santa (Northern Lights #2)
  • The Bookworm and the Beast
  • Christmas in Atlantis (Poseidon's Warriors, #0.2)
  • I'm Not in the Band
  • Mistletoe Miracles (Ransom Canyon, #7)
  • No Place Like You (Cloud Bay, #3)
  • The Predictions
  • Good Time Cowboy (Gold Valley, #3)
  • If We Fall (What If Duet, #1)
  • Blood and Chaos (Chaos, #2)
  • How to Choose a Guy in 10 Days (Chick Flick Club, #1)
  • Don't Cosplay with My Heart
  • The Pretty Delicious Cafe
  • Into Temptation (The Sinful Duet Book 1)
Monica James spent her youth devouring the works of Anne Rice, William Shakespeare, and Emily Dickinson.
When she is not writing, Monica is busy running her own business, but she always finds a balance between the two. She enjoys writing honest, heartfelt, and turbulent stories, hoping to leave an imprint on her readers. She draws her inspiration from life.
She is a bestselling author in the U.S.,

Sins of the Heart (2 books)
  • Defiance Of The Heart (Sins Of The Heart, #2)
“draw up my knee and connect with his balls in a satisfying crunch.” 0 likes