Start by marking “Absinthe of the Heart (Sins of the Heart, #1)” as Want to Read:
Absinthe of the Heart (Sins of the Heart, #1)

Absinthe of the Heart (Sins of the Heart #1)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Two households, unlike in dignity, in the City of Angels is where we lay our scene...

London Sinclair was the boy my mother warned me about for as long as I can remember. His name alone has brought my family nothing but shame and suffering, so it’s no surprise we’ve been sworn enemies since the first moment we met.

With his bedroom eyes and cocky smile, he has all the girl
Paperback, 1st edition, 412 pages
Published May 14th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Absinthe of the Heart, please sign up.
Monica James Sequel will be released September/October. I don't think there is a cliff-hanger, seeing as there are 2 books, the story will continue on. xoxo

Olga therebelreader
This book has all the perfect ingredients for contemporary romance. I found the characters to be very likable, not only London and Holland, but their best friends and family as well. I loved the way the romance developed in this story. Their slow transition from hostility to a deeper understanding and eventually, to love was beautifully played out. This love story will warm your heart, and make you long for the days of first loves, when you could look into someone's eyes and although they have f ...more
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absinthe of the Heart (Sins of Yesterday #1) by Monica James
5 stars!!!!

“London Sinclair didn’t just break my heart; he fucking set it on fire and threw the ashes to the wind. I loved him, and in return, he danced on my grave.”

OMG, Monica James, what have you done? This author never fails to drag my heart and my emotions through the wringer. This author never fails to knock me on my ass either. I went into this book blind, my chin is on the floor, I have read the last chapter about ten times
Pick a Book
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
English / Português

4,5 stars

I love Romeo and Juliet. I've read the book, I've seen all the versions - as far as I know - of movies. So when I read this synopsis, the fact of having a forbidden vibe already caught my attention. The book takes the basis of Shakespeare's story by placing two families who can not stand each other. But make no mistake. The course of the story has much more drama and surprises. Monica James loves to make our heart race, huh? And what a roller coaster that was!!! There
Carlabulian
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4,5. Não consegui parar de ler. Simplesmente adorei!
Sandra Shipman ~ Two Book Pushers
Absinthe of the Heart is the first book in the Sins of the Heart series (or duet?) I am not sure...yet. Either way, Monica James has once again given us an epic story that I will never forget. If you follow my reviews then you might know that I don’t read many blurbs before I dive in. If I love the author’s work then I like to go in head first. Once again. I did that with this book and I loved that I did. I don’t want to spoil anything so I will try to make this short.

London and Holland were bo
Lauren R.
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

London Sinclair will literally steal your heart after reading this story!

This book has it all.

The story starts off with childhood of both London & Holland and how their worlds have forever been entwined because of their parents.

Book starts off which such a delicious scandal that I was dying to know how it was going to turn out.

Holland and her parents are my people!  Loved how no matter what, love for family always comes first.

London's  parents had
AC Book Blog (Anne Christine)
Absinthe of the Heart (Sins of Yesterday # 1) by Monica James

OMG!!!! What the heck woman! This book is freaking delicious but now I am dying for book two. I actually went in blind because Monica James is one of my favorite authors and I love her stories and her writing style. Once again, she delivered a unique story filled with angst, drama, suspense, and a roller coaster romance. SO GOOD!!! It ended in a cliffy.

Right from the prologue, I was intrigued by the circumstances and the colorful past
HeatherP
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I had a massive book funk the week I tried to start reading this book. It took me several tries to get into and I know it's not the books fault. I'm so sad this epic book was affected by my funk and it ruined my reading experience.

“What was done could never be undone, and what they’d all done would never be forgotten…or forgiven, for generations to come.”

I have watched every version of Romeo & Juliet movies. I will read any book that has the same premise because I love Shakespeare and that
Reading with 2 book lovers
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I guess the saying rings true - Absence makes the heart grow fonder."
omg miss James is a genius and has done it again, London and Holland are supposed to be enemies because there moms hate each other!
"London Sinclair is off limits, and no matter what I think I feel, that rule can never, ever be broken"
this was an angsty filled heart pounding story.
London is the bad boy, star of the football team that everyone swoons over.
"I finally feel...somthing after feeling dead for so long"
I was addicted t
Saunders
Having circled my Kindle so many times this week to try and find something that was "different" I came across Absinthe of the Heart.

The title was the first thing that caught my eye and then that book cover - quite alluring.

This book delivers a passionate romance based (to a degree) on Romeo and Juliet but with a slightly different twist.

Read it in one sitting - roll on September for book 2. What will happen?
Flo Grugel
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really solid read, good characters and a twist at the end. I've never read Monica James before and I'll definitely be reading more of this series.
The Book Fairy Reviews
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Romeo and Juliet the ultimate romance and Monica has given us just that. Two households that have destroyed the future of two people that have fallen in love despite their family names. Holland and London are the modern day doomed couple, that may have a chance at a happier ending that the one that Shakespeare gave us. We have drama and passion, we have betrayal and more than just the two couples that are affected by the epic family battle.
From the beginning you fall for bad boy London and his f
Nova  Brantley
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I skimmed thru this one cause it was so cliche nothing original. 😜 guessed the cliffhanger from the start.
Stacey #northsouthbookblog
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and I couldn’t put it down!

In the prologue is where we meet the parents of London and Holland at school, and see how their actions set a series of consequences meaning their children have grown up hating one another...or have they?

London is the boy who has everything - the looks, the money, the girls throwing themselves at him as he’s the school quarterback - except for loving parents. He is a reminder of the reason they are together and they barely give him the time of day.

Ho
Amy
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Oh Monica, you are going to kill me one day!

This modern take on Romeo and Juliet is amazing. The chemistry between London and Holland is off the charts. I could not put this book down and was hooked from the first page!

The flow of the book was great. I loved that we had a lot of detail into what happened between London and Holland's parents v
Laura Williams
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow. This book was so incredible that I did not want it to end. The author kept you on your feet. And kept you guessing. Such an emotional rollercoaster!

There are two kids in high school the High school jock London and quiet girl Holland. London’s aim in life is to make Holland’s life hell by constantly provoking her. Things change when at a party London takes the rap for trespassing so that Holland does not got in trouble by the police as she was looking for her friend Bella. Due to Lon
Kristin
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book! This is a must read and I hope we don’t have to wait long for another book!!!

After I read the prologue I was instantly hooked.

In the beginning we are introduced to London and Holland’s parents and how their friendship developed and how things changed as they got older.
The characters are relatable and you instantly have a connection with them.

London has always been mean and has given Holland a hard time at school and she just can’t wait to get school over with.
She m
Ptiteaurel
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started this novel yesterday and I couldn't stop reading it. Monica wrote a modern version of Romeo & Juliet and I loved it. London and Holland s story is doomed since The beginning since their parents ' hatred for each other is palpable. We Will follow them from their childhood to their adulthood. The tension is still there so is he hatred. I noticed all the références to The original play and it was exciting to discover their stories. The cliffhanger leaves us wanting for more and We can ...more
Tanya Rae ~ TaSTy WordGasms
I loved reading Absinthe of the Heart! If you love angst driven books then this is the book for you.

I fell in love with Absinthe of the Heart and is the first book in the Sins of Yesterday series! If you love angst in your books you should love this book! I read in Monica James bio that she loves “writing honest, heartfelt and turbulent stories”. You get all 3 of these with Absinthe of the Heart.

Do you believe in history repeating itself? This is London Sinclair and Holland Brooks story. Their
The Smutbrarians
Tissues-2
Overall Rating-5
Kindle eArc provided by Author
Reviewed by Stephanie

I love coming across an author I’ve never read before and just falling completely in love with their book! Omg everything about this story was so damn good. From the characters you just couldn’t help falling in love with to the ten tons of angst and shoot, I liked it so much I am even willing to forgive Monica James for the killer cliffhanger she left us with! I mean seriously that alm
Patricia Wonderland
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Monica James comes back with a beautiful and suspenseful story, with the writing i love so much, the kind of writing that goes straight to your heart.
Another author wouldn't have started with Holland and London's parents story. But the prologue is a good idea. Our heart first melt for Holland's mother. We discover where she comes from, how important is her background, her family and her friendship with London's mother. So we understand better all the pain, the guilt and the anger between both o
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absinthe of the Heart gutted me. I am completely blown away by how amazing this book was. I shouldn’t have expected any less after reading Monica James’ Memories from Yesterday series. The novel packed an emotional punch from the beginning and just kept pummeling my heart for the entirety of the story. I’m not sure how I’m going to survive until the next book is released because I NEED more of Holland and London.

You kind of get a twofer with this story. I loved getting that little glimpse into t
Jeraca
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, new-adult-novels
I received this eARC novel from the author. This is my honest review.
Release Date: April 3, 2018

London Sinclaire and Holland Brooks are sworn enemies. Not because of anything they did, but because their mothers were best friends, before a terrible betrayal happened between them 17 years ago.

Now, Holland is focused on getting a scholarship to be a lawyer and get out of her judgmental town. And to escape the tortures that London, or "Sin" as he likes to call himself, has been giving her since th
Sara
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not often that I read a book where I find myself having to step away from my device at the end to digest everything I just read but that is exactly what I had to do with Absinthe of the Heart.

Absinthe of the Heart is an absolutely brilliant modern day telling of Romeo and Juliet. I can honestly say that I've never read anything like this book. My mind is still reeling after finishing it!

"London Sinclair didn't just break my heart; he fucking set it on fire and threw the ashes to the wind.
April Symes
Monica James O-M-G what in gods name have you done? This is an emotionally gripping novel that had me in all kinds of states- my emotions were torn, shredded, glued together, then torn apart. This book was darkly delicious because of the layers and of the characters involved. It is a unique story that is not your typical enemies to lovers read. It is filled with drama, suspense, angst, intrigue and a heap of romance to boot.
In the prologue is where we meet the parents of London and Holland at s
BookSmacked
Absinthe of The Heart was an angst filled read that had me hooked from the end of the prologue.

Right of the bat I knew that this book would be filled with emotional angst. Monica James does what I think she does so very well and that’s give you those hit you in the gut feels.

When a book can elicit a physical reaction out of me well I’m in book bliss and this one definitely did. The storyline has a Romeo and Juliet feel with the two main characters who basically were born to hate one another. C
Natshane
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

At this point, I completely surrender myself to Monica James and her ability to reduce me to a slobbering mess. I mean, when it comes to this author, what should I NOT expect?

Angst? - Checked
Drama? - Checked
Intense chemistry between forbidden lovers? - Checked
Molten hot scenes that fire up your hormones? - Consider mine FRIED.

Monica James' take on Shakespear's classic tale of Romeo & Juliet and spins it into a modern-day retelling of the forbidden romance between two young souls, their lin
Karline05 Un brin de lecture
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Je suis totalement sous le charme du premier opus de cette romance New adult . Holland et London nous démontre à quel point l'amour et la haine sont des sentiments proches , à quel point la famille vous conditionne et modifie parfois les relations qu'on aurait pu avoir .... L'auteure jongle avec les époques , les personnages et les sentiments des uns et des autres avec brio et amène le lecteur au bord de la crise de nerf avec un final .... frustrant !
I'm t
Book Obsessed Book Blog (Amber)
I am dead and this book killed me! This is my first read by this author and I am so grateful she graced me with an ARC of this book.

This book had an enemies-to-lovers feel, it had secrets, it had DRAMA, and more angst than my poor little heart could take! I couldn't stop reading this book, but at the same time I was scared to keep reading for fear of what was going to happen. I've only felt that way with one other book in my whole life, and finally I found another book that made me feel like thi
Bethany
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Love is messy, inconvenient, and at times, heartbreaking..."
This sums up Holland and London. They were born into complication.
Like a modern day Romeo & Juliet. They are drawn together despite their families pure hatred toward one another.

"...My only love sprung from my only hate."
Tale as old as time. No, not that one. The hate to love them, but love to hate them story. The sparks between these two were blue hot flaming one minute and ice cold the next. It is romance whiplash at its finest
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Monica James spent her youth devouring the works of Anne Rice, William Shakespeare, and Emily Dickinson.
When she is not writing, Monica is busy running her own business, but she always finds a balance between the two. She enjoys writing honest, heartfelt, and turbulent stories, hoping to leave an imprint on her readers. She draws her inspiration from life.
She is a bestselling author in the U.S.,
More about Monica James

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
  • In The Flesh
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)