Start by marking “Dreamers” as Want to Read:
Dreamers

Dreamers

Yuyi Morales tells her own immigration story in this picture-book tribute to the transformative power of hope . . . and reading.

In 1994, Yuyi Morales left her home in Xalapa, Mexico and came to the US with her infant son. She left behind nearly everything she owned, but she didn't come empty-handed.

She brought her strength, her work, her passion, her hopes and dreams...an
Published September 4th 2018 by Neal Porter Books

To ask other readers questions about Dreamers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreamers

Start your review of Dreamers
Calista
This is not about the Dreamers that Trump talks about. It is about immigration, but a person who legally comes to the country and the dreams they have for a new and better life.

A mother moves to America to help with a dying relative and to marry. She has a baby and she is amazed by the country, but she has a hard time feeling like she has a place. Until, she finds the public libraries. She has never seen anything like them. She loves the books and uses the color picture books to learn English.
David Schaafsma
Yet another picture book about immigration/refugees, which are going to continue to be so important, but this one is special in that it is written and drawn by a woman, Yuyi Morales, who left her home in Xalapa, Mexico and came to the US with her infant son. She is not one of the "dreamers" who are being used as some kind of cruel political football in the debate about immigration.

Morales came here and began to construct her dream through public libraries. She learned to read English (and conti
Betsy
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Work in the children’s book business long enough and you run the risk of harboring grudges. Or, to be more specific, grudges o’ love. Grudges on behalf of the hardworking authors and illustrators that never seem to get their adequate due. There are whole lists of talented people out there that somehow don’t appeal to award committees, year after year, in spite of their supreme talents. That’s why it makes me so happy when things begin to change. Yuyi Morales may be a name new to you, but I’d bee ...more
Lisa Vegan
She mentions my San Francisco library branch and other branches I’ve used, as ones she and her son used! San Francisco is in this book in a big way.

The final 4 pages are her story (so touching and inspirational!) and a long bibliography of books meaningful to the author (woe to my growing to read list but many of the books I’ve also already loved and some are apropos of the topic of this book) and there is a wonderful short section about how she created the art for this book. Having that inform
Danielle
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Goodness, this book! Exquisitely beautiful, original, and meaningful. A story of mother and son, of love, of finding your place in an unfamiliar country, of the power of libraries and books and the need to welcome all those who travel to a new place and who dream with love.
Trudie
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is fabulous.
I picked this up as part of my Read Harder challenge to read a children's book that had won a diversity award, and rather than pick one book I have selected three but I think this might be my favourite.
My eye was immediately drawn to the mixed media nature of the illustrations. The author explains how she used photographs and scans of things like the old walls of her home town, traditional Mexican fabrics, and her sons childhood drawings to add a wonderful dimensionality and i
Niki (Daydream Reader)
This is THE book!! Everyone should own it. Read it. Read it aloud. Share it. Share it with children. So beautiful. Moving. Powerful. Hopeful. I love this book!
Manybooks
Although I do not often tend to grant five star rankings anymore (having become and perhaps indeed also a bit sadly considerably more and more critical lately and less patient with regard to a given book not one hundred percent satisfying and pleasing my personal reading pleasure as well as my academic and for picture books my aesthetic standards) I am going to make a happy and shinning exception with regard to Yuyi Morales' 2018 immigration-themed Dreamers. For while Morales' accompanying illus ...more
Laura Harrison
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yuyi Morales needs to start working on her Caldecott speech right now. This is picture book perfection. Yuyi's numerous illustration's of classic picture books are stunning, wonderful and a whole lot of fun. A breathtaking, timely dream of a book.

This is an update and an egad! moment. Stunned that Yuyi Morales did not win a Caldecott. Not even an honor. Yes, she won a plethora of wonderful awards. But she deserved a Caldecott. I don't know a single person who is part of the children's lit world
Jason
This is a part of why I am a librarian, and why libraries are vital to--yes, I mean every word of this--the survival of American culture and humanity. Any public library that is true to its roots stands as the only public institution where all are truly welcome and where nothing is asked of anyone but respect for others.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Amazing and gorgeous. I want to give this to every principal and teacher that I know. A well needed story.
Cristina
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DREAMERS is a story worth celebrating & sharing, and every single page is a masterpiece. Timely, important & stunning. ...more
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous reminder of why our public library work matters.
Jodi Meadows
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and heartfelt. The art is incredible.
Cheryl
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes, intense. For example, the Awe when she learned about the library is palpable, as Kathryn's son appreciated; I'm not surprised that this young woman was frightened, at first, about something that seemed too good to be true.

Otoh, it's a beautiful book, and the author's note does explain what's going on, and it is about hope and joy. And it's a memoir (or at least inspired by the author's life)!

The only thing missing is a glossary. Doing research, the context here gives me the idea that lucha
Karen Witzler
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
A young mother, traveling alone with her infant, walks through the desert to the Promised Land and finds all of her dreams can be fulfilled at the library. She (Yuyi Morales) becomes a writer and artist herself. I felt that I should have liked this, but the sentimentalized text left me cold.
Colleen
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
🖤 the note at the end that mentions (by name) the librarian who gave the author’s son his first library card.
Elizabeth A
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, art, kids-ya, memoir
This picture book is based on the author's experience of coming to the US from Xalapa, Mexico with her infant son. Immigrants often get lumped into one large group, but it's the individual stories that add texture to the whole.

I appreciated that this story contradicts the current political rhetoric about Mexican immigrants. Don't even get me started! Representation matters. That said, I thought the text itself rather uninspired, though I found the art wonderful. I loved the celebration of libra
Afoma Umesi
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Neal Porter Books for an electronic Advance Reader’s Copy of this picture book. Striking illustrations fill this beautiful book, but the story in its pages is even more heartwarming!

Based on Morales’ own experience as an immigrant, DREAMERS highlights the disorienting experience of moving countries, especially with a language barrier. She also centers the story on the gift of books and the library at a time when she most needed to find home.

I enjoyed this one tremendously and believe
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Well, I think this is the first picture book I've ever read that made me tear up. So beautiful, words and pictures. And about books and libraries!!
Rebecca
Yuyi Morales offers an autobiographical immigration story of a mother and son's experience moving from Mexico to the U.S., struggling to adapt, and finding solace and support in the public library (especially picture books!).

I didn't think it was possible for Yuyi Morales to top herself in terms of beautiful illustrations, but these are stunning prisms of color and collage. This is a Caldecott contender for sure. Don't miss the detailed painted book covers in the library, many of which are by L
Nancy Kotkin
This is a beautiful, personal story of a mother and son who immigrate from Mexico to the United States with limited English, and then discover the treasure of public libraries. The child is an infant, but there is plenty of kid appeal in the bold colors of the fanciful art, the bond between the mother and son, and the gift that is children's literature.

I would have given this book 5 stars except for the purposely misleading title. In the author's note at the back of the book, Yuyi Morales states
Ashley Adams
Incredibly vibrant! Yuyi Morales uses a number of artistic techniques to bring to life a story of love, hope, and personal empowerment. At first, Yuyi and her son were scared to be somewhere new, everything was different and they didn't understand the language. Then they discovered the library! The magic of children's books empowered them to build language skills and make their own voices heard. Three cheers for library cards!!
Lorie Barber
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Please please please consider this one, Caldecott committee.
Morgan
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wow. A masterpiece from the master herself. Gorgeous, poetic, important - if this doesn't snag Yuyi Morales a Caldecott I will riot in the streets.
Krissy
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous art work!
Sara
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Any book this gorgeous that also manages to sing the praises of libraries has my vote!
Abigail
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yuyi Morales Fans / Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Immigrants, Libraries and/or Books
Inspired by her own story of crossing a bridge, her infant son on her back, and finding herself an immigrant to the United States, celebrated author and artist Yuyi Morales explores being a newcomer in a strange new place in this beautiful picture-book memoir. Not able to speak the language at first, making many mistakes along the way, she and her son eventually find a home at their local library, where they discover the wonder of having a practically limitless supply of books at their disposal. ...more
Barbara
Resplendent illustrations pulse with life, love, joy, and hope, as they accompany carefully-worded text that describes the author-illustrator's immigration experiences. Drawing on her own journey to the United States from Mexico in 1994, Yuyi Morales showcases the mingled excitement and confusion that a parent and a child experience as they navigate a new world, a new language, and an unfamiliar culture and rules that seem daunting. Amid all the confusion, they find solace in the books to be fou ...more
CAS Reads: Thoughts about Yuyi Morales' book Dreamers? 1 1 May 05, 2020 09:03AM
Help wanted: Columbian Children's Authors 1 1 Jan 08, 2020 05:23AM
Ferial Pearson Mu...: Stuedemann-Dreamers-Immigrants-Ages 5-10 1 2 Jun 21, 2019 04:05PM

• The Day You Begin
  • Islandborn
  • The Water Princess
  • The Undefeated
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
Yuyi Morales is the illustrator of Kathleen Krull’s Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez, whose accolades include a Pura Belpré Award and a Christopher Medal, as well as the Pura Belpré Award-winning Los Gatos Black on Halloween by Marisa Montes. Born and raised in Mexico, she now lives in northern California.

News & Interviews