Start by marking “Dreamers” as Want to Read:
Dreamers

Dreamers

4.71  ·  Rating details ·  732 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews
Caldecott Honor artist and five-time Pura Belpré Award winner Yuyi Morales tells her own immigration story in this picture-book tribute to the transformative power of hope . . . and reading. An instant New York Times bestseller!

In 1994, Yuyi Morales left her home in Xalapa, Mexico and came to the US with her infant son. She left behind nearly everything she owned, but she
Published September 4th 2018 by Neal Porter Books

To ask other readers questions about Dreamers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreamers

Betsy
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Work in the children’s book business long enough and you run the risk of harboring grudges. Or, to be more specific, grudges o’ love. Grudges on behalf of the hardworking authors and illustrators that never seem to get their adequate due. There are whole lists of talented people out there that somehow don’t appeal to award committees, year after year, in spite of their supreme talents. That’s why it makes me so happy when things begin to change. Yuyi Morales may be a name new to you, but I’d bee ...more
Niki (Daydream Reader)
This is THE book!! Everyone should own it. Read it. Read it aloud. Share it. Share it with children. So beautiful. Moving. Powerful. Hopeful. I love this book!
Danielle
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Goodness, this book! Exquisitely beautiful, original, and meaningful. A story of mother and son, of love, of finding your place in an unfamiliar country, of the power of libraries and books and the need to welcome all those who travel to a new place and who dream with love.
Cristina
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DREAMERS is a story worth celebrating & sharing, and every single page is a masterpiece. Timely, important & stunning.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Amazing and gorgeous. I want to give this to every principal and teacher that I know. A well needed story.
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous reminder of why our public library work matters.
Afoma Umesi
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Neal Porter Books for an electronic Advance Reader’s Copy of this picture book. Striking illustrations fill this beautiful book, but the story in its pages is even more heartwarming!

Based on Morales’ own experience as an immigrant, DREAMERS highlights the disorienting experience of moving countries, especially with a language barrier. She also centers the story on the gift of books and the library at a time when she most needed to find home.

I enjoyed this one tremendously and believe
Laura Harrison
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yuyi Morales needs to start working on her Caldecott speech right now. This is picture book perfection. Yuyi's numerous illustration's of classic picture books are stunning, wonderful and a whole lot of fun. A breathtaking, timely dream of a book.
Roxanne (The Novel Sanctuary)
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5
Colleen
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, kids, picture-books
🖤 the note at the end that mentions (by name) the librarian who gave the author’s son his first library card.
Jason
This is a part of why I am a librarian, and why libraries are vital to--yes, I mean every word of this--the survival of American culture and humanity. Any public library that is true to its roots stands as the only public institution where all are truly welcome and where nothing is asked of anyone but respect for others.
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Well, I think this is the first picture book I've ever read that made me tear up. So beautiful, words and pictures. And about books and libraries!!
Morgan
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wow. A masterpiece from the master herself. Gorgeous, poetic, important - if this doesn't snag Yuyi Morales a Caldecott I will riot in the streets.
Lorie Barber
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Please please please consider this one, Caldecott committee.
Carol Tilley
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, kids, mexico, reading
A perfect book, made with love and full of hope.
meg
be still my heart. just the beautifully life-affirming picture book the world needs right now <3
Mary Lee
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. Important.
Heidi Burkhart
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely.
Alia
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful one. Also comforting & encouraging & vibrant. Took me about 15 minutes to read because I spent so long on each illustration, staring at the little details Yuyi included. Excellent.
Barbara
Resplendent illustrations pulse with life, love, joy, and hope, as they accompany carefully-worded text that describes the author-illustrator's immigration experiences. Drawing on her own journey to the United States from Mexico in 1994, Yuyi Morales showcases the mingled excitement and confusion that a parent and a child experience as they navigate a new world, a new language, and an unfamiliar culture and rules that seem daunting. Amid all the confusion, they find solace in the books to be fou ...more
Marjorie Ingall
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-4-8
GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS. Short plot summary: Yuyi and her little son Kelly come to the USA from Mexico and discover the library. But this book is so much bigger! It's a poem about the power of language, and about how books educate and acculturate and stir the imagination. The pages are full of luminous images of places real and fantastic, along with many tiny depictions of children's book covers (it's fun trying to recognize them). Kelly and Yuyi are dreamers in the classic sense, not in the ...more
Nancy Kotkin
This is a beautiful, personal story of a mother and son who immigrate from Mexico to the United States with limited English, and then discover the treasure of public libraries. The child is an infant, but there is plenty of kid appeal in the bold colors of the fanciful art, the bond between the mother and son, and the gift that is children's literature.

I would have given this book 5 stars except for the purposely misleading title. In the author's note at the back of the book, Yuyi Morales states
Ana
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This, to me, is as much a story about emigrating to a new country... assimilating to a new culture and language... as it is a tiny letter of gratitude to libraries. I loved reading about the author and how she and her son found their way to the United States... how deeply she appreciated the gifts the library unknowingly made available to her and how these in turn inspired her path. I especially loved her creative notation in the end pages where she explains how she made this book. Overall, it's ...more
Effie
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is just wonderful. I'm a fan of Yuyi Morales. I really appreciate her inspiring story of finding her way home with books. I love the elements of collage in this book and particularly her notes in the back ("How I made this book") on the things she photographed and scanned. I especially loved seeing all the books that must have been important to her that she included in the illustrations. It's a beautiful heartfelt love letter about coming to a new country, new language, all of it. I th ...more
Jake
Absolutely my favorite Yuyi Morales book, and maybe my favorite picture book of the year? I love the illustrations and the usage of real images and short text phrases, and the fact that it is so personal. I hope so many people read this book. It is so beautiful.
Kelsey
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually cried. THIS is why we (librarians) do what we do. So much love here.
"One of the most important things I learned at the library is that through books we can find our path and our purpose."
Aliza Werner
Most gorgeous illustrations and text from Yuyi Morales. Immigration, the power of stories and libraries, and the desire to understand and be understood flow through this semi-autobiographical book. I’m feeling Caldecott with this one!
Chrissy
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-stuff
Though I always feel stories about libraries are too easy for librarians to like, I love this story, and the way it demonstrates how libraries can bring hope and broaden horizons for those who need it. The book is beautiful.
Yuyi Morales is the illustrator of Kathleen Krull’s Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez, whose accolades include a Pura Belpré Award and a Christopher Medal, as well as the Pura Belpré Award-winning Los Gatos Black on Halloween by Marisa Montes. Born and raised in Mexico, she now lives in northern California.
“Someday we will become something we haven't even yet imagined.” 0 likes