Start by marking “Picasso and Minou” as Want to Read:
Picasso and Minou

Picasso and Minou

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Distraught over the death of a friend, young Pablo Picasso spends his days creating sad, blue paintings that no one buys. Soon the starving artist is forced to put his cat, Minou, out on the streets. By chance Minou meets a troupe of circus performers who just might have the cure for Pablo's blues.
Published February 1st 2005 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Picasso and Minou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Picasso and Minou

Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Response
- The story of Picasso and Minou provides a relatable outlook on a small part of Pablo Picasso's life for children of young age. Picasso went through a "Blue Period" where for a few years everything he painted had shades of blue and dark colors, and this book goes on to describe that particular period of his life. I love how this book is written because the plot does not stray far from the relationship between Picasso and his cat. Keeping this relationship concept in mind, it s
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book to preschoolers at Story-time at the library a few years ago. I had to edit a little bit because this is a long picture book, but the children were entranced by the sweet and clever cat.

Tonight I read this book to my young son at his bedtime. I had to edit a little bit again, but he, like the kids before him, were entranced by the sweet and clever cat.

It would be hard to go wrong with a book about an artist and a cat. Especially if the artist, who is grieving over
Penny McGill
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We are never able to resist a story about an animal and an artist. This is our second favourite book about Picasso - being big fans of the story of PP and his delightful dachshund Lump - and we were thrilled to see he loved cats as pets as well.

This is a terrific way to introduce children to the artwork of Pablo Picasso and it takes the reader on a sweet little stroll through the streets of Paris. Pablo is going through a tough time with his art and through the story of a man and his cat, it's p
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Based on the true story of Picasso and his cat Minou (cat in French) that really did bring him a sausage. The story is lovely, including the blue, then rose periods, into the abstract. Illlustration give much to discuss, as in what pictures are represented in them and the background of the place and time.
Ken Martin
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Picasso and Minou was a great book. This is based on a true story, this picture book would be a perfect way to introduce children to some kind of art lesson. The kids would love his very special cat that helped him become an artist. Kids will be able to relate to this book especially if they have animals. I think the book would be very informational as well.
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent story about a specific part of Picasso's life, told from the point of view of what was Picasso's real cat. It deals with his Blue and Rose periods only but in a very accessible way. Excellent for Elementary.
The narrative arc and the environments are beautiful. I found Estrada's style of human figures and faces distracting: Picasso appears to be more a boy than young man and some of the people (fellow artists, some circus performers) seem too cartoon-like.
Kelli Bratten
A new look at Picasso and can be made relatable to younger students while working on Picasso inspired art projects.

Can also be a read aloud during world war two when analyzing how the war changed his artwork. Students can do artwork.
Jennie Vosen
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful picture book about Picasso and his cat. A fun way to learn about Picasso for both children and adults!
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Cute story that comes from early in Picasso's career, based on a real incident with his kitty bringing the artist home a sausage to share. Introduces readers to his Blue Period and Rose Period.
Nov 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A semi-true story of the artist Pablo Picasso and his cat, Minou. VERY cute story with great illustrations. Perfect for teaching children a little art history!
Anna Lewis
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-book-pb
Fantastic book to read to K-5 to begin an art discussion
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. A bit of truth to it. Picasso really did have a cat named Minou who brought him a sausage to share.
May 19, 2015
Feb 01, 2018
Sep 06, 2015
Dec 23, 2017
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Read this to my daughter last night -- what a lovely introduction to his painting and life.