Start by marking “Mismatch: How Inclusion Shapes Design” as Want to Read:
Mismatch: How Inclusion Shapes Design

Mismatch: How Inclusion Shapes Design

How inclusive methods can build elegant design solutions that work for all.Sometimes designed objects reject their users: a computer mouse that doesn't work for left-handed people, for example, or a touchscreen payment system that only works for people who read English phrases, have 20/20 vision, and use a credit card. Something as simple as color choices can render a prod ...more
Published October 16th 2018 by MIT Press (first published September 21st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Mismatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mismatch

Start your review of Mismatch: How Inclusion Shapes Design
Meredith
This book was so disappointing. I really want to read a practical, insightful book on inclusive design since it is such an important part of my next chapter of work. But this was not it. It had some great points. But it really should have been an article instead of a book. It was repetitive and rudimentary. It lacked depth and practical tips. Bummer. Recommendations welcomed on great books for putting inclusive design into practice!
Stephen
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a short book, and it often spins its wheels a bit, but the main premise and "Chapter 7: There is No Such Thing as Normal" make it worth the read.
Vasilis
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I filled the margins of all pages with sticky notes.
Lorenzo Barberis Canonico
Foucault would be into this

Rustin would also be into this

Steve Jobs would also probably be into this

The author's thesis fits very well with a lot of the ideas I've been coming across regarding the positive role of inclusion in designing technology and policy programs that promote the least-advantaged person in a way that propagates into improvements for the rest of society.
Tim Kadlec
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at https://timkadlec.com/read/2019/mismatch
------

Inclusion has become a borderline buzzword that many companies like to throw around but few know how to actually prioritize. Mismatch attempts to fix that by helping to provide a framework for how to design and build more inclusive experiences. At less than 200 pages, Mismatch is a brisk read and it's not going to cover everything you need to know. It does, however, do a very good job of tearing down the blinders we wear and h

Michael MacDonald
Dear Kat,

I will often write a brief review lauding the merits of a recently finished book, sharing thoughts and observations about its contents. However, in this case, I wanted to take a slightly different approach and write a note directly to you as the author. This 'review' is going to be a distillation of of your efforts have impacted me personally.

I stumbled on your book purely by chance. Lucky for me though that I opted to read it right away. I am currently pursuing some academic work in th
Stefan Schmager
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Exclusion means rejection. And nobody likes to be rejected. Yet, millions of people are being rejected by everyday objects because they have been built in a way that mismatch with their abilities.
Kat Holmes provides a great shift in perspective on inclusive design and how it will benefit everyone in the long run.
Harmen Janssen
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
An extremely motivating read, containing profound ideas that stuck with me.
I can't wait to put these into practice.
Vera
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Strong words, great input on the topic...but in the end I kind of asked myself if the key messages of this book is really just that inclusion should be a early part of product development? Because if so I am sad, that we need in 2019 a book to say something like that. I would recommend the book for inclusion newbies and as I would not consider myself a newbie I sometimes find the contet a bit too much strong words and less solid indications. However it is well written and therefore 4 star worthy ...more
Ingrid
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Starting off this year with a 5 star book!

To be honest, I haven't read many design books or articles that really introduced something that changes my mind. Sure, I've read things that added to my knowledge, but Holmes here has flipped what I know and presented it in an articulate way what I thought was incorrect and actionable items to do instead.

A big tldr; currently a lot of people/companies throw around the world inclusion but very few people actually design with inclusion in mind, and for th
Mohit Dhanjani
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I will second Meredith's review of this book.

I must point out that Chapter 6: There’s No Such Thing as Normal was truly beautiful. I have been struggling since long about the culture in my region where people call others "average" or "not average" in terms of looks or behavior. This language of math to describe people didn't really made sense to me. In this entire book this chapter is most valuable for me.

On the other hand, the book was not as enlightening as I thought it might be. I follow Ms.
Danni Green
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: being-alive, adxs
This book addresses accessibility and access barriers from a design perspective. It simplifies many basic principles of accessibility in ways I think would be valuable for someone unfamiliar with them, but they will really only be valuable if the reader is committed to putting them into practice and not just considering this in the abstract or as a thought exercise. It seemed like a major oversight that the book includes numerous illustrations with no image descriptions; as someone with low visi ...more
Sam Jacob
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This book was introduced to me through User Defenders Podcast community book club. This was a very short book with just 10 chapters short.

Being a UI/UX designer I loved to read and listen to anything that deals with user experience design and its best practices. Kat Holmes has opened my eyes to what we have been doing for a long time in our own design decisions. She has detailed out how we often come into conclusions on design decision leaving a major mismatch behind so that the other group of p
GB
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential reading for anyone creating for others

Don’t enter this book thinking it’s about coding accessible websites or meeting WCAG guidelines in a product. It’s so much more than that. Mismatch is an info-rich guide to aligning your priorities and practice to creating better solutions by including more people. Step out of the accessibility-as-a-checklist mind and into a truly inclusive ethos. Great for designers, developers, business people, and really anyone interested in creating a just offe
Vinicius Lima
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Without inclusion at the heart of the AI age, we risk amplifying the cycle of exclusion on a massive scale. It won’t just be perpetuated by human beings. It will be accelerated by self-directed machines that are simply reproducing the intentions, biases, and preferences of their human creators.”

The author really walks us through how design is responsible for exclusion and creating mismatch situations. At the same time, it reflects on how design can be the solution to this very same problem. An
penny shima glanz
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a short book (the audio is 3h 47m; paper is 176 pp) and while semi-repetitive, it has a message that needs to be heard. My biggest takeaway is that we are all designers and for successful design we need to listen to a diversity of voices. Overall it provides a summary of what makes a design inclusive, what exclusionary traps many design teams fall into, and thoughts on how to improve the future.

I wrote a little more -- https://www.pennywiseconsulting.com/2...
Brandon Biggs
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the best inclusive design book that has ever come out. The inclusive design world needs a textbook and until that is written, this is it. The only problem I had with the book was that it is too short. I really love the list of business justifications that she lays out, they will really help businesses connect inclusivity to their bottom line. Every one who is interested in inclusivity or innovation needs to read this book!
Alex Chan
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bought as part of prep for my Monki Gras 2019 talk.

It’s short, but covers a lot of material in its pages:
* How inclusion and exclusion work
* Practical ways for improving inclusion (not just “try harder”), and acknowledging that it’s a process, not a single event
* The idea of persona spectra is a particularly interesting one – that a disability might be permanent, temporary, or situational – as a way to frame designs to think more inclusively

I’ll be keeping it and revisiting it again.
Alessandro
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 if I could. This book is a solid intro to inclusive design, but if you already know the basic concepts and you don't need to be sold to the idea, there's not all that much in this book that you'll find interesting. I wish this came out a few years ago, earlier in my career. I'll probably end up gifting this copy!
Sean Reinhart
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I’m reading this week: “Mismatch: How Inclusion Shapes Design,” by Kat Holmes. I’m looking forward to diving in to this analysis of the many ways that design decisions can inadvertently exclude users from a design’s benefits if they are not included in the design process, and how inclusion can result in better design for all users. 😀📚
Alexandria Bruschi
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was fabulous! I love how it touches beyond design and digs into inclusion from a societal level. There are so many tidbits applicable to design and life. I listened to the audio book but will be buying this as well! Recommend for anyone interested in design who is curious about making accessibility a priority.
David Swallow
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A powerful, impassioned treatise on inclusive design by Kat Holmes that teaches us to recognise ability biases and break habits of exclusion to shift towards a more inclusive future. A short but dense read, rich with inspirational stories and personal reflections. Highly recommended.
Dan Seljak
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. If you are already familiar with inclusive design, you should be aware it's a primer, however Kat's ability to deftly communicate these concepts provide new ways of thinking about them.
Hannah Silver
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-design
Pretty quick and easily digestible, but with lots of ideas/observations to mull over for a long time. Took a lot of notes and will definitely come back to this as a resource for universal design for the built environment!
Racha Gh
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A transformative way of looking at inclusive design, highlighting how we are all temporarily able-bodied, go through multiple phases in life, and how designing for exclusion eliminates our self-able-bodied-perception over time.
Brent
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Putting this on a required reading for my students

Was really helpful in opening my mind, and eyes, to the challenge of inclusion / exclusion. Enjoyed how well it read and all the great quotable lines. Will put this on my must read list for my design students.
Deb
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education, design
I am not the audience for this book. If you're working in tech or other innovation fields, this is an important read. If you're a teacher, there won't be a lot of new ideas, but perhaps new perspectives and applications.
Terence Eden
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Part manifesto, part manual. This is an excellent overview of inclusion and design. More than just about usability, it goes to the psychological heart of why we get upset when we can't use ... https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2019/12/book... ...more
Bindu Upadhyay
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to everyone, not just designed. It brings attention to various ways in which we exclude people. Loved every bit! If you are in a managerial or leadership position, this is a must read.
Alf Rehn
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Important, easy-to-read, and sweet book on inclusive design that could have benefited from delving more deeply into solutions.

• Ruined by Design: How Designers Destroyed the World, and What We Can Do to Fix It
  • User Friendly: How the Hidden Rules of Design Are Changing the Way We Live, Work, and Play
  • Writing Is Designing: Words and the User Experience
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • The End of Average: How We Succeed in a World That Values Sameness
  • Technically Wrong: Sexist Apps, Biased Algorithms, and Other Threats of Toxic Tech
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience
  • Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things
  • Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design
  • Principles of Product Design
  • Accessibility for Everyone
  • Resilient Management
  • Future Ethics
  • Haben: The Deafblind Woman Who Conquered Harvard Law
  • The Laws of Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life
  • Design for How People Think: Using Brain Science to Build Better Products
  • Calm Technology: Designing for Billions of Devices and the Internet of Things
  • Transformative Scenario Planning: Creating New Futures When Things Aren't Working

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »