Start by marking “Fliers: Book 1 in Fliers Series” as Want to Read:
Fliers: Book 1 in Fliers Series

Fliers: Book 1 in Fliers Series

(The Fliers #1)

Fight and love without fear
As descendants of fairies, fliers were an old, forgotten species who appear human but could fly without wings. They lived peacefully amongst humans for several decades until a secret government agency developed new technology that allowed experimentation on fliers and discovered how to make ordinary people fly. Not sitting back and accepting
Published March 27th 2018 (first published March 21st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Fliers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fliers

Start your review of Fliers: Book 1 in Fliers Series
May 舞
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Sydona is a flier, that is to say, she is basically a human who can fly and who has eyes that change colour from purple to green or brown *which is really cool*. She lives alone with the fairies, grows her own crops, and only interacts with humans when she needs to buy food and other supplies she can't provide for herself. One day she reads in the newspaper that some scientists are experimenting on fliers like herself and she panics. She decides that after 50 years, it's now time to look for her ...more
Heather Blair
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'Fliers' features an amazing cast of characters from all walks of life. (My personal favorite is Willow the Widowed). I was able to picture every person and every setting so vividly in my head thanks to Mae's descriptions.

The story is charming, keeps a good pace and has an exciting climax-- plus a nice segue into the sequel! I look forward to reading the next installment!
Trisha - Tale of a Bookworm
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Recently I got this book called "Fliers" from Booktasters in exchange of an honest review. Basically its a fantasy book series where the MC is a human looking person with longer life span and flying ability, which in short sounds great!!

Sadly the book did not do it for me. The MC proved to be real naive and when I double checked, she is 60 years old!! I mean seriously?!! She sounds like my nagging 14 yo little sister.

I could not for my life make any sense of what she is doing on the full 224
Flopinbooks
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
First of all, thanks to the author Laura Mae and BookTasters for giving me the book to review it

The idea of the book is original. I liked the idea of fliers who are identical to humans but they can fly and get strange eyes which change colours depending of how they're feeling at the moment.
The description is nice. It's not too short but it's not too long either. It's perfect, I loved it and enjoyed it because I could know where they were and what they were feeling at that moment.

But I didn't
MLW Lundeen
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
"As descendants of fairies, fliers were an old, forgotten species who appear human but could fly without wings. They lived peacefully amongst humans for several decades until a secret government agency developed new technology that allowed experimentation on fliers and discovered how to make ordinary people fly.

Not sitting back and accepting the news, Sydona Wilder and her fairy friend Raoul, set out to find the agency and put a stop to the capture of the rare species. But Sydona will have to
Goran
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Nice positive and hearty story told through the book. These "fliers" are some rare magical people who are different in only a few abilities from normal humans but they look almost the same. One of these abilities is a wish of humans for a long time in history. The idea is vary good because these people have to fight vary hard to survive just for being different, like many types of people or groups isolated/marginalised nowadays by nationality or some other criteria. These differences seem to the ...more
Kez Booth
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I found the story concept intriguing as it was unusual and keeps a good pace, full of action - there were a few good twists to the story and was overall easy to read and follow. The story did have it's funny moments, and I liked how each character who joins Sydona on her quest if different, but was slightly disappointed with the introduction of Silas. (view spoiler) ...more
Christine Rose
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid I loved fairies and I wanted to be like them, well I certainly felt like one while I was reading Fliers. The beautifully put details transport you into a new world that makes your imagination run wild.

The friendships in the book come along naturally, especially the one of Sydona and Raoul. I must say it’s one of my top hilarious friendships.

The protagonist, Sydona, is a girl that has been through much and readers can relate to her struggles and choices. She is loyal, kind
Corry Heppler
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laura Mae brings her wit, tenacity, and flare for everything in the fantasy genre, out in this gorgeously-written novel, about Sydona. She's trying to make sense of herself and what she is. Meeting friends along the way, she begins to trust those, whom she'd told herself that she'd never trust. She has to battle a corrupt government, hell-bent on using her abilities for their own profit and gain. Weaving a fairytale of this magnificent magnitude, is a task in and of itself. Yet, in her own ...more
Esther Jones
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Fliers tells the story of Sydona as she seeks to reunite with her long-lost family.

The premise of the story was interesting, but a combination of improbable and unbelievable choices by the characters and numerous occurrences of unwieldy and stilted prose made for tedious reading that made finishing the book a struggle.

I did like Sydona's little friend, Raoul, and thought his incorrigible spirit and whimsical actions were a highlight of the story.
Dericki Johnson
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Good effort, but slow going

Now that I’m learning how hard it is to write a novel, I recognize this is a good first effort. It was a difficult read for me, though. It was an interesting story, but for me the pacing was a bit slow. I would definitely check out Laura May’s next book. She shows real promise.
David Lee
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fliers tells the tale of Sydona, a human/fairy hybrid who goes through life hoping that one day she will be reunited with her long-lost parents. At an early age we learn that her world is torn apart after her folks are forcibly removed from their home, and sent away to an experimental facility for other “fliers”. Sydona’s task therefore is to finally put to rest the question of what exactly happened to her Mother and Father.

Together with Raoul, her lifelong fairy friend and confidant, they
Keandra Fitzgerald
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book reminds me of Wrinkle in Time and a little bit of oz! The reason being because of the fairies! I’m a big fan of fantasy books and this book shows it all! From the beginning to end this book is a page turner!
Brianna
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love stories that blend fantasy with a modern world. I'm a big fan of Laura Mae's characters. Being trans, I feel I could connect with the Fliers on a personal level. Her characters also reacted realistically to the situations they were in.

The book does end with some loose ends. But this is the first book and it leaves you excited for the next! Thank you Laura! And thank you book tasters!
Marianne Reese
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story packed with action, as a young flier spends her life searching for her parents, while trying to hide her identity from the humans who are hunting her kind. In her quest to find her parents, she meets up with others like her, and also encounter bands of humans, some hunters, and some who try to earn her trust and profess to want to help. The story is a fast-paced fantasy mystery. The characters are well developed, and likable (or not).
Lauren
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars - I read this last year in it’s inception while it was being written as I know the author. It was a fun read that I read in a few days. If you are looking for something whimsical this would be a good suggestion.
Yolisa
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read.Has good strong characters.My favourite character is Silas.It's very interesting how each person gets to join Sydona in her quest to look for parents that she's not even sure are still alive.Brave but yet very naive,stubborn and proud.Atbtge end of it all,she saves the day.Good going.
Judy Justice
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story...Waiting for the next book

The story was told in a new way. Good read . Will wait for next book by this author. Thanks
Carrie Gulledge
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I think the premise is fascinating and I was able to connect with the characters rather quickly. My only complaint is there is some odd phrasing used. For example, a character, toward the end, speaks of “throwing a funeral”, which was quite off putting. That was only one example but it’s a minor complaint, as the story more than makes up for those instances. I do hope there’s a sequel in the works, as I don’t think Malik disappeared into the night, never to be heard ...more
Brandon
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun read!

This was a great book about fairies with tons of great descriptions that will keep you reading throughout! Also Syd and Raoul are awesome!
Toni
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

A whimsical fantasy novel packed with a punch of adrenaline. I was captivated from the very beginning. The story continues to reel you in as little tidbits of Sydona's past keep you wanting to know more. And, you can't help but love Raoul & want him as your best friend!
Brenda
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-give-up
Ursula Visser
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a difficult book to review, hence I gave it the benefit of giving it 3 *, It was going to be a 2 or 3.
This is why: I liked the promise of the story, the thought of descendants of fairies with the ability of flying without wings (who doesn't want to fly).

The story starts off peaceful: setting up the life of Sydona Wilder and her fairy Raoul. I like that bit. But after she meets up with Giovonna I kind of got annoyed with her (Syd). The fact that she accepts Giovonna and later makes a
Dawn Hosmer
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Fliers had an intriguing concept but I had trouble connecting with the characters. I know how difficult it is to write a book so I applaud the author on creating an interesting book that kept me turning the pages. I must say that this is not my normal genre which may have played a part in my disconnect. I was invested in the story enough to read the sequel and will do so in the future. I did appreciate the strong female characters throughout the book and the relationships between the characters.
Heli
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A warm, suspenseful, different kind of fairy story. I loved the diverse characters, their funny, yet heartfelt interactions. The main character has her flaws, but you can't help but root for her. The ending left some loose ends, so I can't wait for the sequel!
Andy KOCHER
Bare bones, but may lay good groundwork for series

Charactors are mostly minimally complex. Part of story line (bracelet), although very important to story, seems to come in and out with some continuity problems. Has the makings of good story, but needs to be cleaned out.
Judy Marshall Curry
Meaghan
May 07, 2018

• The Awakening: Book One
  • Apex Five
  • The Perfect Wife (Jessie Hunt #1)
  • The Four Before Me
  • Piggybacker (Vessel of Lost Souls, #1)
  • In the Beginning (The Archangel Jarahmael and the War to Conquer Heaven, #1)
  • The Tarot Witches I-IV: Caged Wolf/ Forbidden Witches/ Winter Court/ Summer Court
  • The Tear Collector
  • A Young Man's Game
  • It Takes Death to Reach a Star
  • Endeavor's Run (The Hope Prophecy #1)
  • In Rebellion (The Archangel Jarahmael and the War to Conquer Heaven, # 2)
  • Eversong (The Daughter of Chaos #1)
  • Hex Bound (Hillcrest Supernaturals #3)
  • Moon Struck (Hillcrest Supernaturals, #2)
  • Lege steden (De Onzichtbare Maalstroom, #1)
  • Broken Melody: A Twisted Vampire Tale
  • Finn-agled: A Finn's Finds Mystery
Laura Mae is a new author and released her first book, Fliers, in March 2018. About a year before it was published, she worked on it for about 7 years on and off. With a single dream as inspiration, her idea for the book came to life. Writing has always been a passion for her. Growing up, she would write short stories, poems, song lyrics and even attempt screenplays. It wasn't until recently she ...more

The Fliers (2 books)