Start by marking “Everything Happens for a Reason: Finding the True Meaning of the Events in Our Lives” as Want to Read:

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  366 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Published April 26th 2005 by Harmony (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Everything Happens for a Reason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Happens for a Reason

Angela
A powerful book!!! This is a book to keep on your self whenever your are going through a struggle in life to find the meaning...
Veronica
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We always hear this phrase: "Everything happens for a reason," and the author tries to uncover the reasons behind the things that happens to us. She interviewed over a 100 people and found a pattern on the "whys" of the "seemingly random events" that transpire in our lives. It is an easy read and definitely a page turner. It is also full of lessons that we all need to know.
Linda
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Interesting book...makes you think about what has happened in your life and how it made you are today.
Wayne Keeley
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it

You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it. ― Maya Angelou

My wife and step-children gave me this book for Christmas because I always say, “Everything happens for a reason.” My mother and father both used to say the same thing, but of course, I didn’t belie
Jane
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Can it really be true that everything happens for a reason? As amazing as it sounds, it is. There is significance in every event of our lives, from the most joyful and empowering to the inexplicable or seemingly unjust. In Everything Happens for a Reason, psychotherapist Mira Kirshenbaum encourages us to discover the meaning in what has happened to us, seeing these experiences as gifts, lessons, or opportunities. Building on more than twenty-five years of clinical research, Kirshenbaum helps us ...more
Robert
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book. Great lessons. Offers 10 suggested reasons why things may have happened. All leading back to the major theme that the universe is trying to prepare you to be the best you that you can be. Particularly like the diagnostic questions in the book for each reason that help you to determine if these diagnostic questions apply then this may have been the reason why an event happened in your life. Presented well, and with some good empirical anecdotal stories to help one relate to the materi ...more
Dacia
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has truly helped me. As you read you realize everything the writer writes is something you know. However the ten meanings of events that she organizes for you if you write them down and look at these meanings every time you have an event in your life that is hard to deal with you look at these meanings and resolve your wallowing and figure out what you are supposed to learn from that situation. I absolutely love this book!
Stacey
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a fabulous book for someohe who is looking to do some digging into why their lives are unfolding as they are. In my opinion, you should read this book because you want to make some changes in your life. Skeptical at first about her claims to what the book could answer for you, I fully believe she has done her research and really identified the reasons things happen to us. Good soul searching book.
Traci
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lot of comfort and good advice, good examples of loss, etc, and what lesson is there for you to learn? She categorizes 10 reasons why things happen: to help you accept yourself, to help you feel at home in this world, to let go of fear, to learn forgiveness, to find your hidden talent, to find true love, to become stronger, to find the play in life, to live with a sense of mission, to help you become a good person.
Princess
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I will probably end up purchasing this book at one point. I read the intro and then the diagnostic questions for each chapter before reading the chapters that applied to my personal situation. As I face different challenges, I will go back and reassess what I am learning. I like this author and have read several books by her now. I've enjoyed the introspection that I have received.
Juli
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the few self-help books that is actually worth keeping. Ms. Kirshenbaum helps guides her readers through a series of qualifying questions to identify the lessons behind the major events in their lives. Many times, I was forced to put the book down and pause for self-reflection to identify what lessons I have not yet learned.
Bobbie
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm not sure why I had decided to read this book as I usually find books of this type kind of banal. But to my surprise I really liked this book. Found myself nodding my head in agreement along the way.

It is not making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but it does help to focus on the results you can have to get past the "bad stuff."
Ken
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The concept of "Cosmic Kindegarten" is quite an apt way of describing how we continually learn from our experiences. While the book focuses on how people can move forward after a tragedy or trauma, one could also apply the lessons to what a positive experience is teaching us: "What did I learn today and how can I apply it to improve my life?"
Daniel
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Each page is a brilliant support for living with meaning and purpose. The concepts, examples are well organized, and the message is clear and soothing. This book is a true celebration of being human. Each chapter shines a light on the path of discovering the treasures of our life experiences.
Ashley
Nov 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
I was excited to read this because I do believe everything happens for a reason, but I was incredibly bored with this book. A lot of repitition & never actually going anywhere. I skimmed the first two "reasons" & gave up.
Terrie
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book may change my life. It's helping to shift the way I see things, at least. I'm currently on my second read, stopping to delve more deeply into the areas of greatest concern. Where has this book been my whole life!?
Chantal Gagnon
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting that the author was able to find 10 core reasons things happen to us. She provides diagnostic questions so you can find reason for the event(s) in your life. Although none of them fit the bill exactly (for me) I found bits and pieces that I could relate to.
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
This is definitely a thought provoking book. I think it is a must read for anyone that has ever wonder why an event has taken place in their life and if there was a purpose to the event happening. It sheds light on different reasons why an event may have taken place and what you can learn from it.
Julie
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this as I was struggling with a few things that had happened in my life. This was a good guide for me to help sort some things out.
Pretty helpful.
LemontreeLime
Interesting way to look at everything that has ever happened.
Renate
May 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Too much 'author knows best' to my taste. Disliked the style (like a friend speaking to you over coffee) and the quick diagnostic questions. Main idea is wortwhile, but execution not that great.
Amy Benson
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting!
Emily
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
10 anecdotal storied that help find meaning in the events in our lives and the lessons we can get from them
Logan
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very Interesting!
Lisa
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful book that describes the various "reasons" and helps you figure out which reason applies to your situation.
Barb
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly a resourceful and insightful book. I would recommend this to anyone who has had challenges in their lives.
Shannon
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good food for the soul.
Cindy Rose
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I still pull this out and read it again. I love this book it has helped me to find the reason in so many events in my life.
Jill
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed this helpful book. Whether you have just lost a job, or something else in your life - "Everything Happens for a Reason" will help you on your journey.
Barbara Chok
Good food for thought. Haven't finished yet but the book confirms what you believed all along.
  • The Gift Giver: A True Story
  • Real Life: Preparing for the 7 Most Challenging Days of Your Life
  • Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy
  • Will's Choice: A Suicidal Teen, a Desperate Mother, and a Chronicle of Recovery
  • On the Edge of Darkness: Conversations About Conquering Depression
  • Falling Apart in One Piece: One Optimist's Journey Through the Hell of Divorce
  • The Psychologist's Book Of Self-Tests: 25 Love, Sex, Intelligence, Career, And Personality Tests Developed By Professionals to Reveal the Real You
  • Is It Me or My Meds?: Living with Antidepressants
  • My Mother's Keeper: A Daughter's Memoir Of Growing Up In The Shadow Of Schizophrenia
  • Return to Essence: How to Be in the Flow and Fulfill Your Life's Purpose
  • Keep It Simple, Stupid: You're Smarter Than You Look
  • Choices: Taking Control of Your Life and Making It Matter
  • Believing In Myself: Daily Meditations for Healing and Building Self-Esteem
  • Mars and Venus Starting Over: A Practical Guide for Finding Love Again After a Painful Breakup, Divorce, or the Loss of a Loved One
  • End The Struggle And Dance With Life: How To Build Yourself Up When The World Gets You Down
  • Sea Magic: Connecting with the Ocean's Energy
  • Conviction (Razia, #3)
  • Making a Change for Good: A Guide to Compassionate Self-Discipline
“Real love is about falling in like.” 0 likes
“But you can only give so much of yourself away before you lose yourself.” 0 likes