Start by marking “The Man Who Fell to Earth” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Fell to Earth

The Man Who Fell to Earth

T.J. Newton is an extraterrestrial who goes to Earth on a desperate mission of mercy. But instead of aid, Newton discovers loneliness and despair that ultimately ends in tragedy.
Published September 28th 1999 by Del Rey (first published February 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Fell to Earth, please sign up.
BoBandy I could not have been added by him in 1999 because he was dead.

I could not have been added by him in 1999 because he was dead.

The Del Rey Impact paperback edition says the book was copyrighted 1963 by Tevis and renewed 1991 by his widow.

So either it was updated by the editors for the 1991 copyright, or the copyright notice is incorrect.

Glad I found this question here. It bugged the hell out of me when I read that paragraph.

Can anyone with an earlier edition respond with what the original paragraph said?(less)
Kenneth Since the making of the movie was obviously a big deal for Tevis, not least because it renewed interest in the novel, it would make sense for him to…moreSince the making of the movie was obviously a big deal for Tevis, not least because it renewed interest in the novel, it would make sense for him to look over the MS and give it a few tweaks. This would have been around about 1976, as the comment Pam mentions does specify.(less)

Apatt
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-80s-sf, sci-fi
“The man was very odd. Tall, thin, with white hair and a fine, delicate bone structure. He had smooth skin and a boyish face – but the eyes were very strange, as though they were weak, over-sensitive, yet with a look that was old and wise and tired.”

In short, he looks a lot like this:

Ground control to Major Thomas?

The eponymous Man Who Fell to Earth is one Thomas Jerome Newton, a rather commonplace name, not alienesque like Xarx or something along that line. Of course, his real name is very unli
Jodi Lu
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I had nearly forgotten why people start reading in the first place: the joy of an honest story. I'm so used to the writer as the essential protagonist, the writing as his conflict, and whether or not I want to throw away his book as his comedic or tragic end. But this just unfolds cleanly, without seeming consciously written at all. Never an "ohhh that was beautiful" and very rarely a distracting wince. I got deeply engaged without any self-discipline at all.
It's lightening-quick and so satisfy
Maureen
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
no ray guns are fired or space battles waged in this poignant novel. there is a spaceship yes, but it is incapacitated after it deposits its passenger on earth. the passenger is an alien from a dying planet named anthea and he's looking for an escape - a place for the remnants of his people. his name on earth will be t.j. newton (sometimes called tommy) and this novel is his story, of how our world affects him, physically and emotionally, as he tries to achieve his mission.

there's not much more
Dagio_maya
- La maggior parte degli uomini vive una vita di quieta disperazione. - [Walden ovvero vita nei boschi- Henry David Thoreau]

(1963)-

Quanto ci è utile conoscere la biografia di Walter Tevis per cogliere aspetti importanti di questa storia?
Molto.
Moltissimo.

E così, leggendo che:

”(…) ha vissuto tra il nativo Kentucky e la meta finale delle sue peregrinazioni, New York, (…) con problemi di alcolismo sempre più gravi. (…) Era stato un bambino con problemi di salute, gracile, timido, solitario.”

Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. This a deceptively simple story, told in simple, uncomplicated prose, but with unexpected depth and relevance. It might come off as slightly trite now, as with most mid-20th century fiction set in "the near future" (the late 1980s, of all things!), but I'm sure in 1963 it was truly a sign of the times. What I'm sure hasn't lost its charge over the years is the tint of sadness, of individualized despair, that permeates the book and ultimately embitters the characters. No one escapes th ...more
Evi *
Come si possono sbizzarrire gli autori di fantascienza nel creare i loro personaggi provenienti dai luoghi più remoti dell’universo, quasi nessuno altro, e il lato razionale e irrazionale che c’è in me ringrazia e evade con piacere immenso.
Questo uomo che, quasi letteralmente, precipita sulla terra, ci colpisce per la sua dolcezza, per il suo essere determinato, calmo e mai violento, per la sua imperturbabilità.
Dal punto di vista fisico poi è una scoperta: è molto alto, più di uno e novanta, ha
Liz Janet
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy, favourites
This novel follows an extraterrestrial, arriving on Earth to see if he can find a way to bring his drought suffering people into the planet so that they might live.
This is one of my favourite science-fiction classics, and is truly worth the read, as an exploration, not only of science, but of the human nature and politics. We get a deep understanding of the main character, as he suffers for being an alien in a planet that will hurt him if they discover who he is, and the pressure of thinking of
Stephen
3.5 to 4.0 stars. I really struggled between giving this 3 or 4 stars and settled closer to 4 for one primary reason: the ending of the story was deeply emotional and I believe will stay with me for some time. Apart from the excellent ending, the rest of the story was well-written, moved along at a good pace and kept me interested.
Giuseppe
Questo libro va letto. Va letto per una serie di motivi che sono questi:

1)L'idea L'autore, grazie all'espediente sci-fi dell'alieno che sbarca segretamente sul nostro pianeta, ci permette di avere un punto di vista "laterale", rispetto al mondo civilizzato che ci circonda: scienza, società, politica. Rielabora efficientemente il concetto di alienazione nella società post-moderna e post-industriale.

2)Lo stile Uno stile asciutto, essenziale nel descrivere pensieri e rapporti dei personaggi, ma non
Bradley
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Only came to this book through a winding road of Valis by PKD in his description of David Bowie in the novel. PKD was influenced by Bowie in the movie "The man who fell to earth". I watched, thought it was interesting, and THEN finally read the novel, which, I'm sure most people will agree, was a lot better than the movie. That being said, I did like the book quite a bit, being an outsider type of novel with a lot to say about those earthling aliens. Fun read and well done, well worth being a cl ...more
0rkun
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dünyaya düşen bir adamın insanlaşmasını konu edinen "Dünyaya Düşen Adam"ı okurken elimden bırakamadım. En ağırından bir uzaylı hikayesi okuyacağımı zannederken kitap bittiğinde buram buram yozlaşma kokan, aslında bir insanın hikayesini okuduğumu farkettim.

Kitabın, David Bowie'nin başrolünü üstlendiği bir de filmi çekilmiş. Konu olarak ayrı düştükleri baya bir nokta var diyorlar, o yüzden kitabı hali hazırda bu kadar kaliteliyken filmine hiç bulaşmaya gerek yok.
MJ Nicholls
Ashes to ashes, funk to funky, we know Major Thom’s a drunkard, strung out in heaven’s high, hitting an all-time low . . .
Ajeje Brazov
Secondo libro letto di Tevis, dopo il primo: "Solo il mimo canta al limitare del bosco", lettura che mi aveva entusiasmato ed emozionato tantissimo. Questo, "L'uomo che cadde sulla terra", invece mi ha deluso un po'. Le prime 50/60 pagine passano molto piacevolmente, con una scrittura coinvolgente ed intrigante. Il protagonista è caratterizzato molto bene e dalle prime descrizioni, viene subito da pensare a David Bowie, ma comunque mi è risultato insopportabile, fastidioso. La parte centrale poi ...more
Bryce Wilson
Jun 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, literature
The literary equivilant of a flower growing through a block of cement. The characterization is clumsy, obvious and in the case of the gin soaked country woman straight out of "Lady For A Day" borders on self parody. The social commentary is sometimes bizarre such as when our alien friend ruminates on the pros and cons of The Welfare State and sometimes obvious with it's JESUS WAS TEH ALIEN subtext. And lordy if you don't think that a book as slight as 160 pages can be overwritten within an inch ...more
Bryn Hammond
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: imagined-fiction
This is the cover I had because Bowie. Read this more than once because Bowie. It suited him.
Bridgit Morgan
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Who would have thought that a book about an alien coming to Earth could be so sad?? I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
Erik Graff
Oct 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sf fans, those interested in the Bowie movie
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Picked this one up somewhere in Edison Park, Chicago, my home in Park Ridge being right across Canfield/Ozanam from the city limits. Read it on the same day I, rarely satisfied under our household's strict food regimen, bought my first real food, a can of black olives.

The Man Who Fell to Earth was one of the saddest books I'd ever read at the time. Its protagonist's good intentions towards us, the extremity under which his own species had found itself and his great loneliness were all very movin
Bandit
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've discovered this book completely by chance (having heard of the film but never seen it) and absolutely fell in love with it. Often the book or a movie are being referred to as classic and it has to do more with their age than their contents, this book however is a fine example of a real scifi classic, one that teaches us something about ourselves through a different perspective. If there were no dates in the book at all (dates that might have seemed like a future back when the novel was writ ...more
Emanuela
Di solito quando affronto un libro non leggo review prima di avere scritto qui il mio commento, eventualmente confronto dopo ma, in questo caso, terminato questo romanzo è stato necessario dargli un contesto storico (1963) e cercare anche i riferimenti biografici dell'autore.
Trovati entrambi alla voce su Wikipedia: L'uomo che cadde sulla Terra.
Informazioni soddisfacenti e condivisibili.

Aggiungo solo quello che mi rimane come sentimento inaccettabile dall'analisi della specie umana sperimentata
Joanna
On the outside, The Man Who Fell to Earth is about Thomas Jerome Newton, an alien from the planet Anthea, who has come to Earth seeking salvation for the last of his people but it's really about being alone inside your own skin and struggling to feel connected to anyone or anything before you die.

Walter Tevis takes a subject that has been overdone, ooh a spaceship and an alien EXCITING!, and makes his own unique brand of sociopolitical science fiction. The lyrical descriptions mesh well with the
Faroukh Naseem
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Where will you go....with the money?"
"Maybe to the Pacific, to Tahiti. We'll probably take an air-conditioner with us."
#theguywiththebookreview presents: The man who fell to Earth.
This book is going to stay with me for a long time. Not because of great/good/pleasing writing but because I expect it to have many layers which will unearth themselves when I talk about it. Some moments of sheer frustration at our hapless nature gripped me by the end. The book was very effective in conveying a messa
Raegan Butcher
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: aliens and drunks or drunk aliens
Simply fantastic. This is one of the most heartbreaking novels written in the past 50 years.
Brian
Dec 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who finds alcoholics fascinating
Shelves: science-fiction
The problem with this book is that author must have thought that the only way to make a person seem deep is to make them an alcoholic--alcoholism defines all three main characters in the book. It's like an actor who finally wins an academy award after playing a drunk (when it is probably the easiest part to play). The vast majority of interactions in the book include drinking, which Tevis describes in painstaking detail, over and over again--what they are drinking, how they are drinking it, what ...more
Nur Seza
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bir süredir çok sevdigim sci-fi&fantasy kitaplardan uzak kalmistim; ozlemimi muhteşem bir kitap seçimiyle dindirdim, bir solukta okunmasi kacinilmaz mükemmel bir kurgu örneği.
Lorenzo Berardi

As a non native English speaker, I discovered the adjective 'poignant' only six years ago thanks to a Canadian friend (thanks, Vicky). She chose it to comment a photo I took involving a bowler hat hanging from a chair while an out of focus blonde girl in the background stood on her toes to take off a branch of autumn leaves from the frame of a mirror over a washbasin.
To be honest with you, the photo was nothing special. Perhaps my friend was ironic. Or maybe not.

What I know is that from that day
Willy Boy
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great - if you love the movie, read it, it stands as a great book in it's own right, it has a life of it's own. If you didn't like the movie, the same applies.

It has (as the title suggests) an elegant parable-like simplicity, and contains an elegiac meditation on loss, of home, of potential, friendship, family ... Matters of conspiracy and corporate-politico hanky panky are touched upon. Placing an extra terrestrial in a contemporary setting lends the book a timeless quality (some with prejudic
Simon
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
It was only after reading a chapter or two that I realised I had previously read another book by this author, Mockingbird. Although I had very much enjoyed that novel when I read it, it hadn't occurred to me to check out anything else the author had written and, although dimly aware of this book for many years (also being a Bowie fan) I hadn't connected the two.

Anyhow, there are probably a number of similarities between the two books. The author's dim view of humanity's prospects in the future f
Stephen Curran
Ostensibly a story about an extraterrestrial, this is a profoundly human story of isolation, self-destruction, and failure.

Arriving incognito on a mission to save his dying home planet, the newly named Thomas Newton stumbles into Haneyville (pop. 1400) and is immediately unsettled by the appearance of the locals: “... the look, the feel, was strange - even though he had known that seeing them would not be the same as watching them on television.”

It’s an outsider’s novel, later described by its a
Daniel Gonçalves
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every fan of literature
It is not often that you find a great book. A book that makes you feel pride after you've read it. This was one of those books.

Writen in 1963, the man who fell to earth is considered a sci-fi classic, although the book is far from being restricted to a specific genre because it tackles a lot of different subjects.

The prose is fluid and it feels natural to read . Walter Travis is clearly a writer with huge story telling abilities which lead me, at times, to think that I was reading Stephen King N
Iara Picolo
A história é super cativante, sobre um alienígena que vem pra terra e começa a transformar a nossa forma de viver com novas tecnologias, novos estudos e novas possibilidades. O plot é incrível, mas o ritmo não me pegou. Demorei pra ler o livro e ele é bem linear. Não é a leitura com altos e baixos, cheia de emoções, mas isso não é um "erro" e sim só o estilo do livro mesmo. Não combinou muito comigo, mas reconheço toda a genialidade da obra. Ainda vale a leitura <3
  • Le meraviglie del possibile: Antologia della Fantascienza
  • Greybeard
  • Search the Sky
  • The Dreaming Jewels
  • Limbo
  • Take Back Plenty (Tabitha Jute, #1)
  • The Great Explosion
  • The Genocides
  • Captive Universe
  • Other Days, Other Eyes
  • The Lovers
  • Consider Her Ways and Others
  • The Humanoids (Humanoids #1)
Walter Stone Tevis was an American novelist and short story writer. Three of his six novels were adapted into major films: The Hustler, The Color of Money and The Man Who Fell to Earth. His books have been translated into at least 18 languages.
“The strange thing about television is that it doesn't tell you everything.” 16 likes
“In meeting Betty Jo he had learned that there was a large substratum of society that was totally unaffected by this middle-class prototype, that a huge and indifferent mass of persons had virtually no ambitions and no values whatever.” 2 likes