Start by marking “The Finder” as Want to Read:
The Finder

The Finder

When Lindsay meets Elias the signs aren’t promising. She’s a grungy introvert who doesn’t want to talk to anyone. He’s a teen fashionista who can’t shut the hell up.

But since Lindsay tracked down a runaway kid, word’s got around that she knows how to find people. And Elias is looking for his birth mother. And he has money, and Lindsay’s perpetually broke… So that’s how thi
Published August 1st 2018 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Finder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Finder

Start your review of The Finder
Marianne
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Finder is the second novel for young adults by Australian author, Kate Hendrick. Even if Lindsay Evans did have friends, Elias is certainly not the type with whom she’d associate: he’s extremely fashion-conscious, trendy (he wears eye-liner!), and way too happy all the time. So, although she seems to have acquired a reputation for finding things and people (quite modest achievements to her mind: one was almost purely accidental), she’s dubious when a classmate brings Elias to meet her.

Elias
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loveozya, text
Lindsay is a character that many young readers will find themselves within, the feeling of isolation, expectation and finding your place within the world as she explores a narrative of friendship, family and finding home. Very much an introvert, Lindsay has created a barrier around herself from the tender age of eight years old, when her twin sister disappeared, blaming herself. Frankie took the light and laughter with her, leaving her grieving mother, now with a small army of children to ease t ...more
Text Publishing
‘Conveys the emotional turmoil of adolescence…an intense and emotional story.’
CBCA Reading Time
Madison
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Finder is a light mystery with plenty of heart. I recently read and loved Lost and Found by Orson Scott Card, so I was delighted when I discovered The Finder has a similar tone, with a very Aussie setting. Family, friendship and mystery combine in this book to provide a remarkably uplifting story about loss and the people left behind.

Lindsay has spent her life looking. It’s how she survived since her twin sister went missing when they were kids. Now with a family full of younger siblings, a
Sam
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Interesting YA read. Thought the descriptions and insights into how the main character was feeling were spot on for a teenager. One or two of the characters felt like they didn’t belong going forward in the book, I couldn’t see what they added to the story beyond their initial plot point.
Sandra
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantastic young adult novel.
☁️ priya ☁️
Okay it was a bit too convenient and a bit too cliched, but it was good! I’m not sure why The Finders deserves four stars. The characters and dialogue are written really well and I guess it’s a nice read :)
Trisha
Different, thoughtful, authentic.
Lorraine
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
“The Finder” is a young adult novel, and while I thoroughly enjoyed it, and so did my 11 year old, I’d suggest that it does need a bit of parental guidance for readers at the younger end of the scale. Some of the themes – a child who disappears forever, family secrets, adoption – may be a little confronting for some younger readers.

Lindsay is the Finder of the title; she’s got a reputation for finding people after she finds a young runaway. Lindsay doesn’t feel she did anything very special – sh
Jodie Warner
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-ya, cbca-2019
This was another of the CBCA notables for 2019 but it wasn't short-listed and I'm not surprised. It's yet another story featuring a lost person (child) and the repercussions of this astronomical loss and grief and the survival of the people left behind. So essentially, this is the story of identity and what it means to belong and also what it means if that identity shifts and changes. They're some pretty big ideas, but I felt the execution wasn't great here and the story needed some tightening.

L
BookGirl10
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
'Don't judge a book by its cover, it doesn't get to choose what it looks like.'

Lindsay is the eldest out of six, seven if you include Frankie. But no one ever does. Lindsay is the only one who knows about her twin sister, and how she disappeared a long time ago. Her younger siblings have no idea that Lindsay once had a twin, and they never will, because in the immaculate house their mother manages their lives in, it's easier to pretend that she never even existed at all.

Now a teenage introvert
Cel Jel
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting book with a protagonist who is unfriendly and very observant. Kate has written a book in which a girl with an incident in her past that has changed her family becomes involved in the hunt for a young adopted man's birth mother. Added to the mix is another girl who keeps escaping from her family with permission after the first time. I found this a thought provoking read, reminding us that we don't know why a person has reached the personality they have, but that each person can mov ...more
Ann
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I really loved the tone of this book. Very Australian, but without attempting to 'Oz it up'. Beautifully written with unassuming prose, but that makes you think. I like that in a book.

The story was complex and engaging, and the introvert in me found Lindsay true and truthful, with the inner monologues and the outer snark.

Highly recommended. And I'm off to find Kate Hendrick's earlier book. I'm sure it will be just as well written and offer me another of life's quandaries to ponder.
Linley
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-star-reads
Elias and Lindsay tell a wonderful story. The action takes place very close to home, with little Josey and his lovely hugs that you can just feel and Elias with his irrepressible style that energises his world and so on. I loved reading this book and watching the story unfold.

Highly recommended to Y9-13 (ages 12-18), this book is written just for you!
Harriet
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was an intriguing piece of writing that was creatively written and engaging. I loved how the characters of Lindsay and Elias were portrayed, and I also loved how realistic Vogue seemed, though she did actually have few interactions with the protagonist.
Livvy
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the descriptions of the Sydney suburbs. It made me feel at home and comfortable in the novel. Lindsay and Elias had a good bond but I didn't really understand Vogue's roll in the story aside from the obvious part in the beginning. The twist, in the end, was good and well set out but personally not my favourite. The Finder is a good story and worth a read.
Jann Collison
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's the characters that draw you in straight away ... you just have to keep reading, to see their reactions to whatever happens next.
It's a great read, with a naturalness of writing style that relaxes you, unawares, into the tale.
I hope there's more to come.
Tina
Invisible prisons people create for themselves, the egocentricity of human nature, friendships and loneliness, loss, identity and the magical powers of observation and research.
Charlie
This was okay, but a lot of the premise and set-up just didn't work for me. An odd story, with odder characters.
Allie
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly enjoyed this.
2 opposite characters coming together for friendship.
Genevieve
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I mean, I don’t know. Wasn’t bad. Could have been better. Hopefully there’s a sequel
Tilly  Benjmin
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, great plot line and I loved the characters. It's been a while since I've finished a book and not gotten bored with it, and I'd forgotten how much fun reading is.
AD
An entertaining twist on a coming of age story. I wasn't totally gripped by the story, but I wanted to keep reading to the end.
Olivia
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. A pretty enjoyable book with a nice setting and good characters.
08_Bhutter
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is soo relatable so far; it feels like I'm reading my own thoughts. This is a book that would have the reader hooked in from the first page. Looking forward to the rest of the book although I sense downhill movement from mid 100 pages. This was an amazing book and it just kept me hooked although I stopped once I was upto the final 70ish pages and continued after a break as that part as I was tentative about whether it would continue to be interesting. The end was amazing as there was a surp ...more
Maddy Estherby

• The Boy Who Steals Houses
  • A Thousand Perfect Notes
  • Hive (Hive #1)
  • Promise Me Happy
  • A Waltz for Matilda (Matilda Saga, #1)
  • Meet Me at the Intersection
Kate Hendrick is a high school teacher and creative jack-of-all trades, with interests in art, design, photography, writing and anything DIY, especially if it involved power tools. She lives in Sydney with her husband and two children.