Start by marking “Prince” as Want to Read:
Prince

Prince

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  169 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
For lovers of Howard Norman's The Bird Artist, Prince is an evocative, richly imagined novel about a defining season in the life of a young outcast. In 1912 at a provinical Danish seaside hotel, twelve-year-old Malte, a charity case from the city, revels in the freedom of summer. Largely a solitary boy, Malte spends his days on the beach, transfixed by the sea. When a coff ...more
Published April 7th 2001 by Picador (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince

May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get into this book ( despite the lovely, poetic syntax) but ultimately I loved it. While the story unfurls slowly, the tale that forms by the end is strange, multifaceted and gorgeous. Prince weaves together a coming of age tale, a mystery, a ghost story, and a tragic love story, and somehow it all works. I found myself reminded of everything from old ballads of doomed sailors and selkies to Gabriel Garcia Marquez (there are obvious parallels to "The Handsomest Drowned Man ...more
Klaudia
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all my friends
This book is intertwining lines of story and poetry and I loved it.
Vampire Who Baked
Magical realism is not a genre that I am particularly fond of, but when it comes out of Scandinavia the effect can be mesmerising! Mist, ice, pale sunlight, seashells, fox cubs, amber, lyme grass and a coffin washed ashore serve as the setting for a bildungsroman about a young boy spending his summer as a charity boarder at a sea-side inn. The language is beautifully hypnotic, and the narrative unpretentious, this book is a very comforting read.
Save this one for a rainy day or a misty winter mo
Kristen
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The prose is brilliant and beautiful at times but I struggled with the book. It was dark and cold in a cold world of the North Sea.
Louise Mundt
Jeg har altid syntes, at Ib Michael var en smule irriterende. Det er fuldstændig ubegrundet, og jeg har ikke noget at hæfte det op på. Men sådan har jeg nu engang haft det. “Prins” er derfor ikke en bog, jeg selv har købt. Bogen blev en gang ved en fejl leveret fra en bogklub, og da de ikke ville have den retur, kunne man jo ligeså godt beholde den.

Efter ca. 15 år i bogreolen blev det nu endelig tid at læse den…

Jeg synes stadig, Ib Michael er irriterende, men jeg har fået en helt ny respekt for
Anne L.
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Do you like puzzles? If so, you might like this book by Danish author Ib Michael. The puzzle is: who is the narrator? He seems to assume a variety of identities, and the question is only completely answered by the end. It’s an intriguing read centered on the occupants of a seaside summer house: Malte, the twelve-year-old boy; Oda, the maid infatuated by the suave Monsieur Charles, who is not what he seems to be; Ida, the mute little girl; and more. The language is beautiful, and I often found my ...more
Jesper Hauge
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit
En bog fyldt med Ib Michaels karakteristiske prosa, magiske realisme og nostalgiske forhold til rejser og havet. I de bedste passager er det fuldt på højde med Ib Michaels bedste værker, men jeg må indrømme at jeg ind i mellem bliver lidt træt og utålmodig, når sproget og fantasien kører på de høje nagler side efter side.

Jeg kan rigtig godt lide bogens hovedpersoner, en 8 årig dreng på sommerferieophold ved Vesterhavet, og en ånd/sjæl, hvis identitet først afsløres langt henne i bogen. Der er en
Pip
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never before have I read a book with so many lives meeting at one place a day different points in time. (spoilers) A sailor becomes an angel, becomes a fairy, becomes a fox and meets a boy who finds his body from his life as a human.

I don't think I'll ever find another book with such rich, powerful, beautiful descriptions as this book. And as the author is from Denmark and this novel was translated into English, I mourn for how much more beautiful it must be in its original language.
Peter Fogtdal
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Marquez, beautiful prose, magical realism
Wonderful magic realism from our Danish Gabriel Marquez. A beautiful coming-of-age novel that takes place on a beach in Denmark in 1911. Barbara Haveland's translation is wonderful, the story twists and turns with a mysterious narrator who shows up in many shapes and forms. This novel is a gem!
Tina Tamman
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book where the storyline is perhaps less important than the images and descriptions, at least while you are reading it. The Danish coast becomes very visual. The hero is a 12-year-old boy who has a good relationship with the lighthouse keeper. All well observed.
Ms. S...........
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Haunting and beautiful portrait of life/death. I don't have the quote in front of me, but the titular sentence in the book reads something like...to be born into the realm of childhood is to be born a prince....love that!
Emilia
Dec 29, 2015
Lukas Van Veen
Jan 23, 2016
Miz
rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2015
Jan 16, 2013
Lucy
Mar 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Liberty (Afrika-trilogien, #3)
  • The Tsar's Dwarf
  • The Exception
  • Babette's Feast and Other Anecdotes of Destiny
  • The Lost Musicians
  • Blekingegadebanden - Den hårde kerne
  • The Priest of Evil (Harjunpää #10)
  • The Brummstein
Ib Michael was born in Roskilde in 1945. He studied Central American and Indian Language and Culture at the University of Copenhagen. Ib Michael has travelled widely, including trips to Latin America, China, and Tibet. He has also crossed the Atlantic and sailed in the Pacific to the Polynesian Islands. Among many grants and awards, Ib Michael has received The Booksellers Club Golden Laurel (Autho ...more
More about Ib Michael