Start by marking “Sing Down The Moon” as Want to Read:
Sing Down The Moon

Sing Down The Moon

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  6,118 Ratings  ·  327 Reviews
When Bright Morning takes her sheep to pasture, she gazes across the beautiful valley that is the home of her Navaho tribe and sees Spanish slavers riding straight toward her.
Published July 1st 1992 by Yearling (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Sing Down The Moon, please sign up.

Donna
When I was a child, Scott O'Dell's Island of the Blue Dolphins was one of my favorite books. I loved reading about Karana's survival skills and her fierce determination in the face of terrifying odds. I was hoping that Sing Down the Moon would provide the same level of interest.

The story itself covers a turbulent and tragic period in the history of the Navaho people. America is no longer only their domain; the Spaniards and White men (or Long Knives) have come to stay. The Spaniards prey on Nav
Edwin Soto
In this book it talks about how a lot of people lead the Navaho's to a forest called bosque redondo where they were captured and were forced to eat flower and nothing else.What I think about this book is that it's a really intresting and adventurous book to read about.I recommend this book to people who like to read and learn about the old days and history and how people would live and survive back then.
Sarah K
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was VERY boring, it may be because I hate the historical fiction genre. To me there was really no point to the story, its just my option. I would have to say that the way the book was written was not bad, I just didn't like the story in general.
Wayne S.
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is 1863 and fourteen-year-old Bright Morning is a Navaho girl living with her father, mother, and older sister Lapana in a village in the Canyon de Chelly, surrounded by mesas in what is now northeastern Arizona. Her brother had been killed by lightning. Her friends are White Deer and Running Bird, and she is sweet on the young warrior Tall Boy. One spring day, Bright Morning and Running Bird take their sheep to pasture on the mesa. Bright Morning’s black dog barks, and that is when she sees ...more
Jodi
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and adults alike!!
Read this book in the car to my children as we were traveling through New Mexico to Arizona from our home in Pennsylvania. I love it when I can match a book to a travel destination and this was one of those books. As I was reading, I didn't think my kids really cared, however, once saw mesas and pinon trees my kids' interest perked up. However, when we stopped in Fort Sumner for gas, my kids got so excited because we had just read about Bright Morning and her people being marched there. My son e ...more
Lesli Diaz
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book because it was about the Navajo tribe ,The Long Knives , and Apaches that they got in a conflict ,had to escape for a better life. There are more interesting things about this book but if you want to know you have to read and find out. I gave this book a 5/5 because it entertained me and it had lots of details also because it seems like the story happened in real life (maybe it did).
Cristian Caballero
In this book it tells how bright morning and running bird get taken to a place with all of their tribes there. Then bright morning escape with tall boy. Then they get taken to a city and then they have to go alone. bright morning and tall boy get married. Then they have a baby and live there life alone in the cliff. I would recommend this book to people who want to know about the history back then . I would rate this book a 3.
Charlie
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
My 3rd grade teacher had us read this book, which is kinda odd since I saw that some people shelved this as "Young Adult," so I didn't understand or care about much of it. Now, I am pretty positive I would appreciate this book MUCH more, and I hope that I can get around to rereading it with new eyes:)
Mercedes
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Nice short story about Native American life. Good for young readers. Found tall boy to be a bit annoying at times. The book description was a bit deceiving but other than that an interesting book to read when you need something short and simple
Grace Bittle
A good book, however it was really sad, mostly because it was mostly true.
Brian Dansby
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Singing Down the Moon”

According to Scott O’Dell’s “Singing Down the Moon’, the Navaho Native Americans endured many long years of suffrage from the United States and the “Ute’s” Native Americans. The Navahos tried to protect themselves by creating treaties with the U.S, but they ran into trouble because “most of them were broken, some by the whites, some by the Indians”. (O’Dell.122). By 1863, things took a turn for the worst for the Navahos because the U.S. became savage and looted for Navaho
Amber Scaife
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follows a young Navajo girl just before and during The Long Walk.
A good story, nicely told and with characters well drawn, although the beginning bit seemed too disjointed from the second half.
Shreya
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The theme of Sing Down the Moon by Scott O’Dell is about the hardships Navaho Indians had to face when Colonel Kit Carson and his troops drove them to Fort Sumner. This historical fiction novel is based on many true stories from 1863-1865, when the ‘Long Knives’ or the Spaniards drove the entire Navaho population out of their homes. During the cold season, many died and lost loved ones. One day Bright Morning and her friend Running Bird went out on to the mesa of Canyon de Chelly and grazed thei ...more
Danica Midlil
Feb 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A HA! This was the book that so haunted me from middle school! After I had described the plot, some friends suggested it might have been Naya Nuki Shoshone Girl Who Ran by Kenneth Thomasma, but it wasn't. It was this! The scene that is still so vivid in my mind was when the two girls are abducted by slavers. Shudder shudder shudder! I hated this story. Was it against the law to have us middle schoolers read something funny or uplifting? What is wrong with the people who create the required-reading lists for middle schools? Are they all tortured ...more
Jen Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
This is a gem of a story, especially to introduce children to the sufferings as well as the lifestyles of the Navaho people.
I love that the narrative was through Bright Morning. Her daily tasks, the spirituality of her tribe, and the decision making amongst the elder men.
Then there are the horrors the Navaho faced from 'the long knives' (loved that O'Dell used the terminology used by the Navaho in describing white men/calvary soldiers) as well as the Spaniard slave traders. None of this was wri
Yanelie Manzano
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book I just read is Sing Down the Moon. This book is so sad because their tribe goes through a lot. They tribe had been so strong for fighting for what is theirs , like they fight for their village and for their food and their place. I recommend this book to my whole class because they would feel bad for the things that happen to people and that they should be grateful for what they have.
Caroline
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow I am surprised, I actually like it a lot! I just started reading and all the sudden I didn't want to put it down! It was a quick and easy historical fiction read that taught me a lot about some of the past Native American culture and the hardships they went through.
Vickcal
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah is reading this for her class so I told her I'd read along with her. I have a feeling she'll need someone to cry with after this one...
Cara
Nov 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read. I didn't realize it was historical fiction until the end. It was very interesting to read about the history of the Navajo indians. I enjoyed it.
Timothy D
It was an interesting book if you like to read about slavery and how Native Americans were treated. I would recommend this book to people who want to know more about American history.
Rebecca
Alicia Rossano
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice, quick children's story that can most definitely be enjoyed by older folks as well! Written by Scott O'Dell of Island of the Blue Dolphins fame, this book chronicles two years of the life of a young Navaho woman in the Canyon de Chelly. The story begins with the breaking of spring, as the reader comes to learn a little about the tribe's traditions and myths through the eyes of Bright Morning, the main character. Soon, she and a friend are enslaved by white settlers and sold in a neighbori ...more
Jaclyn H
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book but I felt like it ended too abruptly. I think it kind of sugar coated The Long Walk there really were no happy endings. I'm glad they she was able to make it back to Canyon de Chelly but it had to be almost just as terrible living there almost alone as it was living at Fort Sumner (just my opinion).
Not nearly as bad as Zia but not nearly as good as Island. I think if I'd read this one as a kid I would have loved it. It certainly didn't have the power to transcend age groups like some children's books I've read. It did do an okay job of showing the historical impact unlike Zia, where it felt shoved in there and made to fit.
Adelaide Marker
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cultures
bright morning one day takes her sheep up into the montians with a friend but the adventure they run into is being kidnapped by Spanish slavers. they are sold to different people and it is exiting to find out if they make it back home.
loved this book it was really engaging and fun.
Cloie Rainilla
I did enjoy this book. It covers a very tragic part of history. The reason I could not rate it any higher is simply because I wanted more. I needed it to be fleshed out.

I'm glad I got to read this and would like to read someting of the same topic that goes in more depth.

3.5 Stars
Cina Li
A good book to read about when learning about Native American history, but not very interesting otherwise. It often seems devoid of emotion and Tall Boy is an asshole, and it isn't even acknowledged.
Jia Yan
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Island Of The Blue Dolphin, but I love this one more!
Donna
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful novel from a great children's author. Would be a terrific choice for reading instruction or as a read-aloud to accompany Social Studies instruction.
Lindsey
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved that Scott O'Dell deals with this heart wrenching part of American History truthfully, yet tactfully. The characters are well developed while giving a glimpse into the Navajo culture.
Why is this book called Sing Down the Moon? 2 21 Mar 10, 2013 03:43PM
who likes this book? 5 27 Dec 26, 2012 11:19AM
  • The Horsecatcher
  • Belling The Tiger
  • The Corn Grows Ripe
  • Swift Rivers
  • The Planet of Junior Brown
  • The Perilous Road
  • Dragon's Gate (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #3)
  • Sugaring Time
  • One-Eyed Cat
  • The Hundred Penny Box
  • Shadrach
  • The Blue Cat of Castle Town
Scott O'Dell (May 23, 1898 – October 16, 1989) was an American children's author who wrote 26 novels for youngsters, along with three adult novels and four nonfiction books. He was most famously the author of the children's novel Island of the Blue Dolphins (1960), which won the 1961 Newbery Medal as well as a number of other awards. Other award winning books by O'Dell include The King's Fifth (19 ...more
More about Scott O'Dell...