Start by marking “Forty Studies That Changed Psychology: Explorations Into the History of Psychological Research” as Want to Read:

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  690 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
'Forty Studies that Changed Psychology' provides an in-depth look at studies that influenced psychological thought. It will be useful for introductory psychology, history and systems in psychology, and research methods and design courses.
Paperback, Sixth Edition, 329 pages
Published April 20th 2008 by Pearson Prentice Hall (first published March 20th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Forty Studies That Changed Psychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forty Studies That Changed Psychology

Johnnycakes
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psy-Curious
Very compact but immediately helpful in teaching Psychology. (Though it does make you wonder if we would know anything about human behavior without hurting monkeys and dogs).
Kelly R
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read for History of Psychology class. One of the most enjoyable books I've ever read for school. I liked the choice of studies. Unlike typical psych history textbooks, this was not someone's ramblings on people/events in the history of psychology. Rather, it was organized into ten chapters by ten topics. Each chapter contained 4 studies which were briefly summarized and discussed. If you are looking for a brief glance about how Psych has been practically applied over the last 100 or so years, re ...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Loved this book! It explains - and updates - many of the studies in Psychology
I will use it a lot in my teaching of Psychology
Don
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Decent primer for a student beginning in the field of psychology, with the forty listed research cases simplistically written in the different aspects of study.
Joe Cole
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a required textbook for my daughter's psychology class. She was initially less than enthused, but did admit at the end of the class that the book was interesting. She gave it 5 stars.
Heather
Highly educational and a fun read if your interested in Psychology
Benjamin Champagne
This was a fascinating book. It is simply an intro to psychology workbook. The format for most books of this nature is not as streamlined. Each chapter is only a few pages and gives you the most pertinent information. This makes it easy for the reader to discuss afterwards. Perhaps this could be a problem if someone was trying to learn specific vocabulary, but I would assume the classroom setting would foster that. In my instance I read the book on my own and those details and tips for memory wo ...more
Lori
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction

I picked this one up at a garage sale because I was taking an online psychology course.

Very informative, very relevant to my course and very interesting.

Many of the studies are very close to or even over the line ethics wise but given the time-period they were done...well, that was then, this is now.
I'm thinking specifically the Little Albert experiments. Couldn't do THAT nowadays. Google it.
Jamila Raja
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The human mind is a weird place and this book proves it. Humans are probably the most unstable creatures out there and for some reason we're proud of it.

This book was a required reading for my psychology class and the studies are crazy and mind boggling. From seeing if babies will throw themselves off a fake cliff to scaring little Albert into thinking while fluffy things will harm him. It's quite an interesting read.
Ali
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was really intresting! I was suprised since it is a book I had to read for school. all of the diffrents studies helped me learn so much about how are human brain works! it was a really engoying book to read for school. the studies go step by step and help you understand everything that is going on! overaall it was a great read. I wouldn't choose to read it just for fun though.
Natalie
Aug 26, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those that wanna dable with the learning of human behavior
I had to read this for summer homework, though i hated the giant work load i had to do i loved reading the book and itergrated the information into my head. It has changed my perspective on how other people behave and gave me insight on how they think. Because of this book, i view people differently and try to explain to myself why they are behaving as they are.
Karen
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would be best for a specific kind of reader who is looking for a semi-academic review of the most import psychology studies ever done. I found it a great review and reminder of what has been studied and learned over the years. It is succinct and interesting but not for someone who is looking for fiction or a little light reading.
Natalie
Aug 26, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in human behavior and such
Rozana
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you there were only 1 psychology book to read, this would be sufficient. It tackles the main psychological research studies that changed the way we look at things such as love, conformity, obedience, overcrowding, and more. The book is easy to read, and it is organised in an accessible way for the reader. You don't have to read it ascendingly.
Erica Thompson
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book for any student of psychology. The book clearly complies 40 of the most influential studies in the field of psychology

The book is divided by topic with four articles per topic.

I use this book in my high school AP Psych classes and college Gen Psych class.
Serena
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
A fascinating look at case studies, experiments, and tests done in the field of pyschology and full of good information. Yet this book is ultimately a textbook, and Mr. Hock wrote the book in textbook writing. The reading can be quite dull at times even if the subject of the study was interesting.
Jenny
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read most of this book for my Psychology class, and I really enjoyed it. It is clear and concise and interesting, allowing the reader to understand a study and its impacts whether or not you have experience in the field.
Trisha V
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good review of studies that have had longstanding impacts on the various subfields of psychology. Succinct summaries of said studies, their implications, and more recent studies that have furthered the discussion and findings.
Sean Chick
My rating is a bit unfair for this is a good source of information. I just could not get into it which might be due to the prose. I am also a bit critical of contemporary psychology, but to be fair this is a very balanced book in terms of the studies discussed.
Sydney
May 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I had to read this book for an AP Psych summer project. It was good, I guess...it's just that the outcomes of the studies all seemed pretty obvious to me. Still interesting though. I liked the "Picture This" and "Thanks For The Memories" the best.
Jean
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a little dated now, but hard to improve on as an introductory eye opener on psychology - particularly how we perceive others and whether that perception is justified.
Robin Ahearn
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book came with my textbook. i only used it once but read it anyway. it was really interesting. it was one of the best psychology books i ever read.
Kathleen Fortune
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the psychology majors/lovers out there, this is a must-have.
Roxy
I read this for psych class. I thought I'd add it even though much of it was skimmed. I'd say the book does a good job of summing up some wonderful psychological experiments.
Nancy
Aug 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for AP Psychology
Mariami
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i'm interesting this book very and i want to read it
Astaraneth
May 10, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I should have read at the start of my Psychology programme. Great read for Psych majors. Nevertheless, no technical language is used making this an entertaining read for all!
Stephanie Tollis
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
A book that was required for my AP Psychology class that actually turned out to be extremely enjoyable and taught me a lot more about the course than I expected it to.
Tiffany
I appreciate this book, as it has made a reliable research source time and time again. My only qualm is that Hock does not go super in-depth with many of the studies.
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly informative as well as readable.
  • The Story of Psychology
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • How to Think Straight about Psychology
  • Toward a New Psychology of Women
  • Rational Choice in an Uncertain World: The Psychology of Judgement and Decision Making
  • White Bears and Other Unwanted Thoughts: Suppression, Obsession, and the Psychology of Mental Control
  • Feminine Psychology
  • Cognitive Psychology: A Student's Handbook
  • The Buying Brain: Secrets for Selling to the Subconscious Mind
  • Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach [with CD-ROM and InfoTrac]
  • The Art of Reasoning
  • The Promise of Sleep: A Pioneer in Sleep Medicine Explores the Vital Connection Between Health, Happiness, and a Good Night's Sleep
  • Psychology