Start by marking “The Clockwork Witch” as Want to Read:
The Clockwork Witch

The Clockwork Witch

The seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, Arabella is destined to disappoint, when she was expected to shine. Though she descends from a long line of gifted witches she has earned the moniker of a "brown bud" showing no sign of magical talent.

When it truly seems her lot can grow no worse, she discovers an unnatural affinity for...of all things...technology. Not only are
Published May 27th 2018 by eSpec Books

To ask other readers questions about The Clockwork Witch, please sign up.
Danielle The author is currently working on the second book.

Mara
Nov 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not really steampunk, not much fantasy, mostly a badly written book.
It will take a while yet for this author to move from someone who writes to Writer. I suspect this is a patreon-funded work, so clearly someone did think she has some talent.
I am really sorry to say that I can't see it.

This novel is really thin on plot and that fleck you see is homeopathic in nature, so much diluted to be water. It had no substance nor an end. It simply stopped.
It doesn't have characters, but caricatures and br
Ozsaur
Because this is a first novel, I'm cutting some slack, but damn this was a frustrating read.

The world building is what drew me in, and kept me going. Magic, which is the sole purview of women, exists beside an emerging technology, which is mostly created by men, and for some, a way to topple the witches who have power. Mundane women are mostly oppressed, and have few rights - a suffragette movement is mentioned about mid-way through the book, though it isn't explored.

Many of the witches are afra
David
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Arabella is the seventh daughter of the seventh daughter in England's most powerful family of witches. The only problem is that she has no power. She can't light a candle with magic, she can't levitate, she can't predict the order cards will be drawn from a deck. Then, at a demonstration of a calculating machine, she discovers she has a power no other witch has. She can manipulate machines... in a world where machines are anathema to witches!

Once I started this book, I had a hard time putting it
James
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: steampunk fans
A decent steampunk magic mashup flawed by some very dysfunctional ruling families (too much like reality!) and characters that are either very good or bad. Its a decent first novel, I'm cutting a bit of slack here, and while it doesn't end in a cliffhanger, there's obviously room for sequels.
robbie atkinson
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new series with an interesting concept. One, what if magic were real and only women could use the power directly. Two what if a witch were born who had no normal magic, but could manipulate machines.

Great read. The lead character is not the oldest of the most powerful....at first. Keep your eyes on this series. It promises a bumpy ride.
Sabina Kissun
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
2.5 stars. It felt like there was a lot of potential with this but it wasn't executed well. The characters including Arabella didn't feel complex enough and I wanted the world to be developed more. I think part of that mainly comes down to the fact that whilst this is set towards the beginning of the early stages of the industrial revolution, the characters felt very much tropey in an an almost comedic way.

It also felt like the gravity of different plot points wasn't fully developed both by the
Connie
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was thoroughly enchanted from the very beginning, which totally goes with the story line. Once started, I could not put it down, you will root for the main character through the whole book. Just fantastic!
Isaac
Did you know this is the beginning of a series? It's not explicitly marked, but this is clearly the first book in a series. Ms. Sonnier is doing quite a bit of worldbuilding here, and explicitly marking our lines for both sequels and prequels.

Like any good gaslamp fantasy, the promise of the next age always lies in the blood of the past, and it's made quite clear here. Arabella is a sport, and a bit of heresy in the lovely decaying empire the witches have set up in the heart of Victoria's empire
Ginnifer
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this arc from netgalley for an honest review.

I love me a good witch book...but this book blew me away. Michelle Sonnier writes in a way that wholly envelopes you to a point you forget you are not Arabella. This book has some steampunk vibes which makes it even more amazing. Each character has a well developed personality and the world building is so vibrant and detailed. You will like some characters and you will despise some even after you realize their motivations and intentions. Th
Samuel Lubell
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In an England where females have few rights, except for witches who are all females and have their own government. Arabella is expected to have strong magic as the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter. But her lack of abilities disappoints her mother who is one of the most important, and powerful, witches in the land. But when she sees the Distinction Engine, a rival to Babbage's Difference Engine, she discovers she has magical powers over technology. But the other witches hate technology as a ...more
Evelyn Carrillo
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. This is the first time I've read this author and was really impressed. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series and anything else this very creative writer puts forth.
Manethraen
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-paper
Six word reviews:

Enjoyable but with variable speed/depth
Rhonda Bruce
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

I am absolutely amazed and thrilled ! I think I've found my newest favorite author. You floored me and I can hardly wait to read what happens next.
Roxanne Tomich
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new world with a new premise!

I love a new idea and this book has it all. Start with an old idea, a non magic in a magic family. Then a discovery of a new talent, is it good or bad for the world? Read to find out! Now I have a new world, a new author for me. Life's good!
Mrgana Wyze
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply a great read

I am hoping for a sequel. Amazing ending with great drama and tension. I truly liked the main character and the pace of this book.
Christine Baker
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful characters and world building. I can't wait for the sequel!

I could not put this book down! These witches are utterly captivating and I am excited for the story to continue. When is the next book coming?
Lisa1200
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well written, hoping there will be more to come!
CJ
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but it felt like only half of the story. There are threads left hanging, and it felt like it was just building up to something when it ended. I’m guessing the author must have another planned - if not, that would make this really disappointing.
Joanne Watkins USA
Young adult fiction

This is just ok. I just found our heroine Arabella more annoying than compelling. As a consequence the story was hard to connect with. Not enough steampunk or enough fantasy or romance. It couldn’t quite decide what it wanted so in the end lacklustre in all.
Michelle Marie
Oct 07, 2018
Cheryl S Helm
Nov 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Michelle D. Sonnier is an author of dark urban fantasy and classic horror, with occasional forays into other genres, such as steampunk and science fiction, as the story inspiration takes her. She enjoys writing anything that lets her combine the weird and fantastic in unexpected ways. She is particularly fascinated by the shades of gray in human behavior and took it as a great compliment when a re ...more