Start by marking “The Stranger Inside” as Want to Read:
The Stranger Inside

The Stranger Inside

Kimber Hannon's belief that she has complete control over her life is shattered the night that she comes home from a trip to find her key no longer opens her front door. There is a stranger living in her house. A stranger who claims he has every right to be there, with the paperwork to prove it. When she confronts the man, he lets her get close enough to whisper, "I was th ...more
Published February 5th 2019 by Mulholland Books

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stranger Inside

Start your review of The Stranger Inside
Susanne  Strong
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
3.5 Stars.

Be Afraid, Be Very, Very Afraid.. of the “Stranger Inside!”

When Kimber gets home from her weekend at Lake of the Ozarks she discovers something terrifying - her locks have been changed - not just that but someone else has moved into her house! Insane right?! Her neighbor states that she saw Kimber sign over her home to Lance Wilson and yet Kimber has never met the man! Worse yet the police side with him. Can you say NIGHTMARE?

Thereafter, Kimber does the only thing she can. She calls he
Holly  B
I really wanted to love this one after reading the description. A homeowner comes home to find a squatter has changed her locks and moved in. What a great premise, but it wasn't executed well enough to pull it all off.

Kimber Hannon is the homeowner and she was an unlikeable character although I could emphasize with her feeling of helplessness when her home was taken by this stranger. He also hints at "having something on her".

I struggled with this one (the pace and the side stories) and guessed
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
3 stars.

Kimber Hannon comes home from a weekend getaway to find her front door key doesn’t work. Circling her home, she discovers there is a man inside and he appears to have settled into living there. What is going on? Shocked and scared, Kimber calls the police who determine that this stranger has a signed lease permitting him to live in the house for the next six months. Worst part is that Kimber’s own signature is on the lease. Kimber has not met this man before, or has she? Does this stran
Kaceey
3.5*
This is the third book I’ve read recently with a similar premise; returning home to find someone else living in your house. What a terrifying thought! Can you even imagine? I feel chills just thinking about it!

After a trip abroad Kimber comes home and discovers her key no longer open the door. Odd...but when she sees a man inside her home her life begins to unravel. This man, this stranger, insists he has a signed lease and has no intention of leaving!
Will Kimber ever get her home back? Wha
Michelle
DNF - no rating and will not be part on my 2019 reading challenge.

The MC, Kimber, is going to require that a reader packs A LOT of patience and it is significantly more patience than I have. She is beyond an awful human being and I just can't muster the energy to continue reading about her. Such a shame! NEXT!
Selena
I received a free e-copy of The Stranger Inside by Laura Benedict from NetGalley for my honest review.

Kimber Hannon comes home from vacation to find her locks have been changed and someone is living inside her house. She calls the police but he has paperwork to prove he is on the lease. But, Kimber never put him on the lease and never invited him in. Then he tells her that he knows something about her, and he wants everyone else to know it too. He says, "I was there. I saw what you did:."

What d
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Ohhh this was creepy! You come home from a long weekend and put your key in the door. Wait, why is it not working? Maybe I have the wrong key, nope that is not it. What the hell is going on? As your panic builds you think okay well I have an extra key. Then you look up at your window and see a figure in the window. Who is in your house and why?!

Holy crap! As Kimber is calling the police and reporting a stranger in her home I am thinking surely this will be taken care of. Unfortunately for Kimbe
Amanda
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A chilling start ;Michelle Hannon is lying on the ground after falling down a hillside and hitting her head on limestone and is dying.

Kimber returns home from a weekend away to discover her keys do not fit her front door, and that there is a stranger living in her house,saying he has rented it for 6 months. When the police arrive he does have a signed rental agreement and even her elderly neighbour Jenny backs up his side of the story.

We discover Kimber has a secret when the story goes back to h
Louise Wilson
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Kimber Hannon believes she has complete control over her life is shattered the night she comes home from her trip to discover her key no longer opens her front door. Now, there is a stranger living in her house. When she confronts the man, he whispers "I was there, I saw what you did!"

This story is told from two different timelines, both having different points of view. It's full of twists and has a decent set pace. Kimber is not a likeable character and I found it hard to find any sympathy for
Dita
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
What if you came home from a four day business trip and someone was living in your house?

They have all of the paperwork to prove they leased your home for six months, the locks are changed and the wheels of justice move slowly because, hey, bureaucracy is real but also because you can't tell the police or even your own lawyer everything they need to know in order to help because you harbor a secret that could destroy your life...and this intruder seems to know all about it.

Gritty, suspenseful a
Rachel
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Stranger Inside has a pretty enticing premise: Kimber Hannon returns home from a week away only to find herself locked out of her house. When she notices someone inside she calls the police, who get him to open the door; he produces the paperwork complete with Kimber's forged signature and insists that he's renting the house for six months. Overcome with frustration, Kimber rushes inside her house, only to have the man grab her and whisper in her ear 'I saw what you did.'

So that was a great
Pauline
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Stranger Inside by Laura Benedict is a psychological thriller. Kimber returns home from a weekend away to find that all the locks in her house have been changed and a stranger is living there. He claims that he is renting the house when Kimber calls the police. She is unable to get to any of her clothes and personal possessions until the authorities can sort out this problem. Kimber is not a nice person and will do anything to get what she wants and the stranger knows something about her pas ...more
Norma
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suspenseful, chilling, & alarming!

THE STRANGER INSIDE by LAURA BENEDICT was an interesting and enjoyable psychological thriller that had quite the unimaginable, nightmarish and scary premise. I have no idea what I would do if I came home to some unknown person living in my home. I’m sure that I would totally freak out and be a little bit nervy and rattled just like Kimber our main character was here in this story.

This book immediately grabbed my attention and where I might have been a little bit
Mandy White
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Stranger Inside by Laura Benedict was a great read. This was the first book by this author for me and I will be looking out for her other books. This story had so many twists and tried to steer the reader in so many ways. The main character was not the nicest of people but in this case I think it helped the story. It is a book that you need to keep reading, you just have to know how it ends.

Kimber returns home from a long weekend away to discover that her keys do not work in her front door.
Jenna Bookish
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Maybe I'm overly picky when it comes to thrillers, but The Stranger Inside unfortunately had a few things that are deal-breakers for me when it comes to this genre, principal among them being a supremely unlikable protagonist. Unlikable protagonists aren't an issue for me in all fiction, but in a thriller, I need to be rooting for the main character for the story to have any emotional thrust. I could not root for Kimber. If Kimber was on fire and I had a glass of water, I'd drink it. (Okay, mayb ...more
Bark
The Stranger Inside has a weird and highly unlikely premise but I am not an attorney or a police officer so who am I to say, maybe this shit really happens? Here’s the scene: Kimber comes home from a retreat and discovers she cannot get into her own damn home. Someone has changed the locks and the squatter claims he has a lease that Kimber signed and basically makes her appear like she’s lost all of her marbles, then he whispers something sinister in her ear. The police won’t help her and her el ...more
Wendy
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Stranger Inside is a unique read and my first novel by author Laura Benedict.
Finally with her life back on track Kimber Hannon comes home from a trip to find her key no longer opens her front door. There is a stranger living in her house. A stranger who has paperwork claiming he has every right to be there. When Kimber confronts him he whispers "I was there. I saw what you did".
Written in different timelines, from past to present, the many twists and turns make this a very suspenseful and e
Mark
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it

Kimber arrives home from a work course and cant get in her house, the locks are changed and there is a man living there, her nosey neighbour remembers her showing him around!, the Police are called.....he has the correct lease for the property and Kimber has signed it!
A great start to a tale of secrets ( of course ), lies, mistrust and pasts that were not as they seemed
But first Kimber....Kimber, Kimber! Such a complex at odds with herself character, at time unlikeable yet realistic, she really
Frank Phillips
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dnf at 59%. Told myself if I've gotten this far I might as well finish but there are so many other audiobooks on my queue waiting to be enjoyed!! This might entirely be on me but I just found myself not getting pulled in by this one. Lots of sexual content, or at least more than I thought there would be, but other than that I didn't really see much developing over halfway in so decided to put this one down for now. Might come back and read the physical copy at some point. Some books just are not ...more
Judy D Collins
I Loved THE STRANGER INSIDE 5 Stars ++ Laura Benedict hooks you from page one to the last word. Top Books of 2019 List. Move this one to the top of TBR list and pre-order now. You do not want to miss this one. Review coming! ...more
Chloe
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
⭐⭐⭐ ½
Kimber returns home from a vacation only to discover that her keys do not work in her front door. She tries everything and just as she is about to call the cops she sees somebody inside. She is shocked to find that the man in her home has a signed lease which has her signature and has every right to be there. Who is this man and what does he want from her ?
The Stranger Inside by Laura Benedict is a psychological thriller with some twists and turns.The book is written in different timelines
Amy
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-netgalley
*** 4 Stars ***
Expected Publication: February 5th, 2019

This read is CRAZY.. like pure INSANITY. Kimber comes home from a relaxing weekend away to find that the locks on her home have been changed. Not only can she not gain access to her home, but there is a man living inside who has paperwork "proving" that she rented the home out to him. All her belongings are inside, everything she owns and suddenly has zero access to them. So that right there was enough to just really piss me off. (I've actu
Josh
A solid story which lacked a little punch.

Kimber Hannon returns home from a weekend retreat, only to find a stranger living inside her house. The door locks have been changed, the strangers bike is packed in her driveway, and peaking through the windows, Kimber sees this intruder has made himself at home; empty pizza boxes on her coffee table, clothes strewn around the house.

Adding complication to the confusion, her nosy neighbor, Jenny, thinks everything is perfectly normal. Why wouldn't this
Jypsy
Feb 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
The Stranger Inside is a psychological suspense story. Kimber returns home after a few days away and finds some guy living in her house. Worse, the police side with the guy who stole her house! Kimber is sympathetic at this point. As the story unfolds, it becomes very clear that Kimber is a bad person. She has done some seriously terrible things. At this point, it feels like karma for Kimber. The stranger in her house knows about things she has done and is after her. Why specifically is he after ...more
Sherri Thacker
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was just ok. I didn’t love it and I felt it moved S-L-O-W but was ok. I struggled at times to keep going but maybe it was just me. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for this book in return for my honest review.

David
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent thriller full of surprises until the very last page. Read it!
Elaine
Jan 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of The Stranger Inside.

Wow, this was an insufferable read, mostly because I couldn't stand Kimber.

* Minor spoilers ahead *

Here comes another story (I think this is the third or forth book I've read with this premise) in which the protagonist comes home to find a stranger living in her home.

Does she know him? How?

As she investigates this stranger, she realizes he is connected to her deceased father, who left after the death of her elder sister, Michelle
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow the opening scene of this book definitely had me knowing that this was going to be a great thriller! Michelle Hannon is lying on the ground after what you presume is a fall, and she’s dying after hitting her head on a rock. Fast forward to twenty years later and Kimber is returning home after spending some time at a cabin and relaxing. She goes to put her keys into the door to unlock it and her locks have been changed! Soon she realizes a man is living in her home and she doesn’t know who he ...more
Tammy
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: release-2019
3.5 ☆ Main character Kimber arrives home from vacation to find her door locks are changed and someone living in her home. Yikes! How terrifying and creepy is that? I couldn’t imagine what I would do if in her shoes!
Kimber is SO unlikeable and flawed I felt very put-off by her, and at other times throughout her story terrified for her. She’s hiding a secret that could put her behind bars BUT she’s not the only one that knows what IT is.
“The Stranger” that’s occupying her home knows it too.. mak
Betty
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kimber Hannon returned home from a brief trip, only to discover someone changed the locks while she was away from home... and they have taken up residence in her house. The man shows the police "proof" he has a short lease for the house, only to whisper a chilling message that leaves Kimber afraid and uncertain of whom she can trust. Nevertheless, she is determined to find out who he is—and what he really wants—before he completely destroys her life. She needs to do so carefully, however, lest h ...more

• The Woman in the Dark
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Girl at the Edge
  • The Escape Room
  • The Last Time I Saw You
Laura Benedict is the Edgar- and ITW Thriller Award- nominated author of eight novels of suspense, including The Stranger Inside). Her Bliss House gothic trilogy includes The Abandoned Heart, Charlotte’s Story (Booklist starred review), and Bliss House. Her short fiction has appeared in Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine, and in numerous anthologies like Thrillers: 100 Must-Reads, The Lineup: 20 Prov ...more

News & Interviews