Start by marking “The Burning” as Want to Read:
The Burning

The Burning

Alice Leininger seems to have the perfect life. She’s happily married, has two beautiful children, a close knit group of friends, and a cause she cares deeply about. But beneath the surface, her world of safety and comfort is unraveling. The periods of lost time she’s kept secret—even from her husband—are happening more frequently. She certainly doesn’t remember leaving he ...more
Published 2018 by misterio press

To ask other readers questions about The Burning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burning

Start your review of The Burning
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Loved most of this but hen it lost me sadly.

I'm conflicted about this book. I was really into it until a certain psychological twist was offered up impacting the lead female. This twist has been in two recent novels I've read lately and divided opinions arise.

It's novel much that the whole reveal is unbelievable bygone element is for me. A solid novel just suddenly goes rogue, left field and stops the flow.

I liked certain p!or lines like helping women out of pumps and
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
When the author first reached out to ask me to review The Burning, I promptly did an online search to see what I could find about it. What I found was not much aside from the blurb that piqued my interest. Upon further digging I discovered that she’s previously written a handful of cozy mysteries under her full name and this was her first foray into darker territory.

“My sweet, sweet fairytale life has dissolved into the darkness. All that’s left for me is grief. Of course, it’s proba
A Wondrous Bookshelf
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, mystery, thriller
I really liked what Esposito has done with this novel. This is her first take writing a psychological thriller, and she did not disappoint. Alice Leininger seems to have the perfect life. She is married to a loving husband, has two adorable kids, and volunteers with her friends at Project Freedom--a project determined to help women leave a life of prostitution and sex-trafficking behind to rejoin society.

The narrative is fairly fast-paced and suspenseful. Alice is a great and likable
Anne (w/ an E)
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of psychological fiction
Lori
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one requires suspension of disbelief, but it was very well done.
Vickie Sarmina
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alice Brown-Leininger has a wonderful successful husband, great marriage, and beautiful children. They live in a five million dollar condo in Sarasota, Florida. Alice volunteers for Project Freedom, which is an organization who assists abused women and prostitutes transforming their lives into productive careers instead of lives in the streets. What could possibly go wrong? After attending a former prostitute’s funeral, she begins to feel faint and eventually passes out. Her husband, Jake, think ...more
Ben
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy from goodreads to review,
An emotionally damaged woman who suffers blackouts when she is stressed begins to worry that she then becomes enraged is then capable of doing violence. She otherwise seems to have the ideal life. She married a successful, wealthy businessman, dresses beautifully, has a home in a gated community and, as way of" giving back", belongs to a group of women who do yoga and have started a group which is trying to salvage the lives of prostitutes .
Jim Crocker
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE BURNING by S.O. Esposito

This compelling, haunting read is an excellent psychological thriller. THE BURNING joins the Goodreads Psychological Thrillers Reading Group Book of the Month (BOTM) as our first Member of the Month Read. Thanks to the author for providing me with a free copy in exchange for my honest review.

I’m a guy (an old one). The author said I was “outside the demographic” for this book because I am a man. I think the demographic should include everyone a
Bonnie
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished the most compelling book I've ever read! "The Burning" by Shannon Esposito is so amazing, riveting, spellbinding engrossing novel that every woman should read & take to heart!! Alice is now a privileged mother of two beautiful children, Charlie & Addie, married to Jake. Life was not always so good for Alice as she grew up in foster homes. She was a waitress when she met Jake who whisked her off to be his Princess.

I know this sounds like a corny, chick lit romance! Hold o
Brigid Keely
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
“The Burning,” by S. O. Esposito, is a fast paced thriller about a woman with Disassociative Identity Disorder (DID), formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD). It’s an aggressively feminist book, looking at the many different ways rape culture is the status quo, enforced both actively and passively by both men and women. There’s also arson.

I should note that I received this book as part of a GoodReads give away in exchange for my honest opinion.

Every time I r
Ashley (b00ksinparadise)
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Burning is one of the best psychological thrillers I've read that explores dissociative identity disorder (DID) or what most people know it as, multiple personality disorder. The Burning does start out slow as it fills in the background for Alice, however, once Alice starts seeing a psychologist and starts diving into DID, the novel picks up quickly! Most of the supporting characters fell a little flat making it challenging to stay interested, but the plot line is phenomenal. The characters ...more
Pernette
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Burning is a psychological thriller of the best/worst kind. It was very hard to put this book down.
Alice has a good life, great husband, 2 small children, life of money and privilege. She is a volunteer trying to help women/girls who have become prostitutes change their lives and get off the streets. But Alice's life has not always been this easy. She has started having black-outs and can't remember periods of time. Alice has a past that she has not shared, secrets that she keeps hidde
Toni
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book completely blew me away. It deals with the very real and timely subject of sex trafficking and misogyny at its worst. Ms. Esposito clearly echoes the thoughts of enlightened women of today. Outstanding writing.

Writing in the first person puts the reader inside the mind of the main character, Alice, so one feels all her raw emotion as she deals with her world disintegrating. Ms. Esposito writes with a knowledge that reveals careful and thorough research of the psychology of
Pamela Faust
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Janeandjerry
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the psychological thriller group read for the month of May 2018 and I was glad that I was able to get a copy of this from the author to join in with the group and to get my reviews in on it. Thank you S.O. ESPOSITO for such a great book. I believe that everyone should read this one to get a better understanding of what life is like for those that live this way and to be able to fight for the rights of these people. I hope you will just read this and take away the good from it and ...more
C.
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book that delved into a subject not often discussed. I wish I could have given it 4 1/2 stars because I found the beginning to be very slow. Just when I was thinking of giving up the book grabbed me and didn't let go. It also tackled a terrible problem that's been going on for ages; prostitutes and pimps. The story is not fiction at that point but the solution that pulled the main character back into the real world would be great if possible.
Quanita
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Suffering from blackouts and memory loss, Alice attempts to find the cause while helping other women combat drug addiction and escape from prostitution. Strange things begin to those hurting the women. Was she truly one person or two? Did Alice get revenge or was it "the other"? A great premise, but I found that it moved a little slow for me.
Rachel Pierson
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

Quick fun read. This book kept you sucked in and interested the whole time. Easy to follow when you have distractions and have to begrudgingly put it down. Creative story line and a great plot
Amanda Wingard
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun vacation read

Greatly Enjoyed it. Kept my attention and was the perfect read to enjoy over my vacation. Would read more from this Author.
Mawsey
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read

What a suprising book, really enjoyed the story, multiple personalties so interesting to read about, held my interest right to the last page. ☺
Angela Bennett
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absorbing and wonderfully written. An absolute thrilling look into D.I.D.
Irene
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
a bit slow, she tries to hit on too many cliched issues. not a bad read.
Beverley
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this book very much ,but l have to say ,l didn’t see the twist coming , l would not say don’t read it , but for me l have read better books.
Marcia Kaye
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story coul d not put it down had to keep reading

Emily L
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Oh my gosh! It was intriguing and exciting and dark and mysterious!
Tons of psychology and interesting twists and turns throughout!
Don't miss out! Read this book.
Patricia Moore
rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2019

• Don't Ever Tell
  • If He Wakes
  • Before Sunrise
  • Poison Orchids
  • Hey You, Pretty Face (DC Jack Rutherford #1)
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • The Golden Child
  • The Old You
  • Water Under the Bridge (The Water Series, #1)
  • Shame ON You (Redemption Thriller #16; Ozzie Novak Thriller #4)
  • Stalker
  • Tell Me A Secret
  • Pond Scum (Darkthorn, #1)
  • What Happened That Night
  • No Place Like Home
S.O. Esposito began her writing career as a cozy mystery author under her full name, Shannon Esposito. She has four books in the PET PSYCHIC SERIES (misterio press) & two books in the PAWS & POSE SERIES (Severn House). But to keep her muse happy, she’s ventured into darker territory with her suspense debut THE BURNING.

THE BURNING was inspired by a piece of flash fiction she wro
“Whatever causes night in our souls may leave stars.” 1 likes