Start by marking “Heart of Valor (Wildworld, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Valor (Wildworld, #2)

Heart of Valor

(Wildworld #2)

When their friend, sorceress Morgana Shee, embarks on a mission to recover the Heart of Valor, a ruby giving the possessor almost limitless power, four children already in serious danger pursue her to offer their help. Sequel to "Night of the Solstice."
Hardcover
Published October 8th 1994 by Random House Value Publishing (first published January 1st 1990)

Start your review of Heart of Valor (Wildworld, #2)
Kushnuma
Heart of Valour is book 2 in the series.

I really don't remember reading this book, but that may be because it's been more than 10 years!

I liked reading the version of King Arthur and Merlin. And the were times when things were a little unclear. But overall I thought things turned out alright.
Bex
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, e-books
This book being the sequel to Night of the Solstice, I was glad to see that it detailed a lot more of Morgana's past. No longer was she seen as the sorceress who had a very magical mystical-sounding name, but she was tied back to the Morgan of Arthurian legend, giving her a depth even beyond what Smith writes of her character.

We see a significant growth in maturity for the four main characters, too. Their personalities are much the same as we saw them in the previous book, but their adventures
Diana
Oct 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, paranormal, teen
As the Hodges-Bradley children get back to their normal lives--with some magical changes--they discover that an earthquake may have temporarily opened the passage to Wildwood, and that an old enemy may be joining forces with a legendary figure from the past.

This was a little more focused on Alys, and that made it a more focused story. As Alys journeys on her path to becoming a hero, she has her stumbles, but overall her performance is astounding. Janie still sometimes grates, with with her new
Julie
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was fun and certainly held my interest. There was also a wonderful re-working of the Arthurian Legend, which I always enjoy. The ending was completely satisfactory. However, there is still an untrustworthy person at large and Alys and Janie both have missions at the end of the book, so there is certainly room for a third section of the story.
April Patigas
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tied up loose ends left behind in the first book. This book is more fast paced and the characters were more relatable. The connection between the two worlds, the wildworld and the stillworld, and the past and present was just brilliant.
Jacci
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this up at the library but didn't realize it was book two in the series. It's hard to make each book in a series really stand alone. I liked the world building and that the author had characters of such diverse ages, each with their own gifts. I just got lost a bit.
Mel
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really good book, the story is great! And I am glad that - opposed to what I feared - the never written third book is not needed as this book has a clear ending and not necessarily needs a sequel.
Alicia
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Smith’s style of writing a LOT, as I have previously mentioned – her novels transport you to wonderful, impossible places with just a few magical, well-thought-out words. The first book in this series, The Night of the Solstice, took a while for me to get into, but once you do you are gripped, and I found it very easy to slip back into the world of Morgana Shee, the world’s greatest sorceress, and the Hodges-Bradley children, who had previously saved the world from the dark forces of the ...more
Jennifer Rayment
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good Stuff

* Excellent continuation and completion of the series
* Lots of sorcery, flying serpents, King Arthur and talking animals, how can you not like that
* Like I mentioned in my review of the 1st book in the series, a great epic fantasy story for the younger set
* Realistic relationships between the siblings -- trust me I'm the little sister in my family
* Some light humour
* A far more detailed back story for Morgana
* Interesting twist on the tale of Merlin and Arthur
* Excellent
Fantasy Literature
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Heart of Valor is set a year and a half after the events of the previous book in this two-part series (though both can be read as stand-alone novels), in which four siblings helped the sorceress Morgana Shee prevent the evil sorcerer Cadal Forge from emerging through her magic teleporting mirrors and causing havoc on the world. At the end of 'Night of the Solstice' the doorways to the Wildworld were closed, Cadal was destroyed, and his ally Thia Pendriel managed to escape with the immensely ...more
.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Like Woe × ¨*:
This to Night of the Solstice is what Home Alone 2: Lost in New York was to Home Alone.

I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't help but notice this felt like a rehash of the first book.

The parents are conveniently out of the picture, (overseas, this time), Morgana is not around much, The Vixen helps the kids at first before bailing, Alys still goes on about how she's not a hero, and as usual, The Hodges-Bradley kids take matters into their own hands, only difference is, we now have King Arthur mythology
Dharia Scarab
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it

Myself, I go
Emma (BelleBooks)
This book is the sequel to Night of the Solstice, I really love L.J Smith's books, but this one kind of disappointed me.

I would say it is aimed at a younger audience, just like Night of the Solstice was as well. I did enjoy the story though, I especially liked how the book dipped more into Morgana's past and her connections with King Arthur.

I really enjoyed the children "stealing" the convertible and all the little pieces of magic that was used along the way, which to seemed to bring them all
Jaimie
Dec 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
For an author who I loved so much when I was younger, reading this book made me cringe with disappointment. The storytelling is rudimentary, at best, and I really found the lack of depth frustrating. Maybe she came into her own with the vampire and Nightworld novels, but L.J. Smith's fantasy sensibilities are quite off.
Melinda
It was a great fun read. It was a really good follow up to the first book. I loved the different take on Merlin and Morgana. I loved the kids, they were different from each other and worked really well together. The plot was fast paced and fairly unpredictable. Overall, a great book that I really enjoyed!
Comicfairy (Leanne)
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Even though this book did not offer the level of romance and lust that later LJ Smith books would, part of it has definately stuck with me. Could just be a nostalgia factor since I read these as a kid when they first came out, but still. haha
Soybean Soybean
this was muchh better than the first one..the plot started to get more exciting by page 156..the children finally had some actual purpose for being, and everyone had a happy ending except for thia pendrell of course..and merlin is now at large..
Andrea
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it
It was nice to read a series of only two books. I like the growing confidence and abilities of the four siblings, how each of them were needed to ultimately triumph against all things magical. Good read.
Cassie
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kim-Lost-In-A-Book
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
A good follow up to the first (The Night of the Solstice), love the Avalon/Arthurian connections. Good story, adventure, a little choppy at times as far as connecting the story, but overall a good read.
J.b.
Mar 21, 2012 rated it liked it
This is book 2 in the series, the first book was very clean and fun. The second is still fun, but contains a few minor swear words. Also one reference to dancing in the moonlight naked-though they don't actually do it.
Helene
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the second book and cannot wait for the next installment. Arthurian legends are fascinating to me and I loved the history and action in this book. I recommend this book to anyone who love adventure and magic.
Bridgett
May 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
A fun fantasy sequel referencing the Arthurian legends.
Aqua Xian
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like a good fantasy.
Recommended to Aqua by: My eyes. WHo do not require morals.
*Clears throat* Yes, I know "Do not practice sorcery" is in the Bible. Sorry. I was looking at it from the antagonist's point of view. VERY GOOD.
♥Allison
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh, wow! I loved every freaking minute of this magnificent book! I was positively mortified that it was the end of the series!
Bron
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mmmm not much better then the first.
Katrina Sutton
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, own
A great sequel to end the a two book series. It did not disappoint me at all.
Becca
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I knew there were boojums!
Sydney Striegel
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, the first one was AWESOME!!, this one has to be just as good (I hope)! It is just as good!! LOVED it!
Jessica
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
37 books/2010

Not as good as the first but a satisfying sequel. I wish there were more.

• This Splintered Silence
  • The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.1)
  • An Angel for May
  • Burning Issy
  • Fire & Heist
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 10: What We Become
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Light as a Feather (Weeping Willow High #1)
  • Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)
  • Fracture Me (Shatter Me, #2.5)
  • Shadow Me (Shatter Me, #4.5)
  • Cold as Marble (Weeping Willow High, #2)
  • iZombie, Vol. 1: Dead to the World
  • iZombie, Vol. 2: uVampire
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in

Wildworld (3 books)
  • The Night of the Solstice (Wildworld, #1)
  • Mirror of Heaven (Wildworld, #3)
“In the meantime, how about us doing some more sister things together?"
Alys snorted. "Like what?"
Oh, I don't know. Slay a few monsters, outwit a few magicians, drain a few Chaotic Zones, negotiate a few treaties..."
And after lunch?"
Janie returned the wry grin sweetly. "I'll let you know."
The hero and the sorceress walked back up the path arm in arm.”
17 likes
“They understand NOW," agreed Charles pointedly. "But what happens in a little while when the effects wear off and they remember everything except the reasons why they did it? They're going to be telling their parents they gave their car away to some kids who made them smell a leaf. And what do they say then?” 7 likes