Start by marking “Dark Carnival (Serenity Falls, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dark Carnival (Serenity Falls, #3)

Dark Carnival (Serenity Falls #3)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  198 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Following Writ in Blood and The Pack, the chilling Serenity Falls horror trilogy concludes with Dark Carnival. The town of Serenity Falls, New York, labors under a centuries-old curse-making no one there safe, and rendering nothing as it seems. In Dark Carnival, the circus arrives in town to raise a ruckus. But the Carnival of the Fantastic is raising more than that. It's ...more
Published July 26th 2005 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Dark Carnival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Carnival

Beth Roberts
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
When you write a review for the final book in a trilogy, do you write it for the book itself or the trilogy overall? I guess, for this one at least, I'll sum up my thoughts for all three books:

1. The first book was the strongest. I said in my review for the second book that it dragged and that stayed true for parts of book three as well. Probably, the whole thing could be condensed into one Stephen King-length book.

2. These books read a lot like a mash-up of King, with elements of It and Cujo mo
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

As the story finally concludes, brings everything together, and the carnival comes to town (what brought me to the series in the first place), the trilogy slowly loses some steam.

Action scenes are done effectively, although some of the mains I’ve come to expect play a smaller role than I figured they should.
Violence still stands firm and not many are saved in this one – certainly not a classic happy ending. With this type of series and genre, that’s expected. Anything else would have been cheap
Jaimie
Jan 21, 2010 rated it did not like it
I read all three books of the trilogy in a row and I felt like I needed to wait until this one to review them all. This trilogy had so much potential and started out well with the first book, Writ in Blood, that I committed to the long haul. I'm still not sure what the heck was going on. You had the curse set in place by one of the founders that, when it comes to fruition, I'm still not sure what it was even supposed to be other than cause chaos and more violence. Then there was this entity that ...more
Damond
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
A satisfying end to the trilogy. This book suffered from one volume being split into three more than the first two. By the time we reached this book, so many characters had been introduced (which is natural in a book dealing with an entire small town) that I really wanted to be able to flip back to remind myself who some of them were when they popped in, but I couldn't unless I carried the previous volume around with me. The whole trilogy evoked the Castle Rock books of King, but each of those w ...more
Korynn
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
At this point I came to the conclusion that I don't like horror. In this volume we follow a hero around who can't manage to save anyone but seems to delude himself into thinking he's succeeding while most of the town dies horribly. In fact everyone dies in the most horrible slowest fashion possible...it's never violent sudden death, it's all limb removal, or methodical stabbing/strangulation/beating/raping/burning/etc, and then there's the mutilation, the constant terror and shock...it really we ...more
Donna
Mar 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library, horror
What a mess. Many of the events of this book (and the previous ones) seem meaningless in light of the ending. Some subplots are just dropped, others are dealt with in frustratingly vague ways. The resolution of the main story is over-complicated.

As the series went on, I cared less about the town and it's inhabitants than I did after finishing the first novel. I was expecting Crowley to be more fleshed out, but the story still didn't reveal a satisfying amount of information about his character.

T
Wendy
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a so-so ending to the trilogy. My least favorite of the three books, but a must read if you have read the first two. I found this book to have a lot of carnage, that IMO, was not really necessary. The storyline kind of lost steam for me and I was not totally satisfied with the ending. There were some loose threads left hanging that I would have liked to have had sewn up, but it was an okay read. Seems there may be room for another story that involves Crowley which I would enjoy reading. ...more
DK Hoffman
Mar 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: awful-books
Not my type of book at all. Not the author's fault though. I'm sure it is very well written for it's genre. But this was on the paranormal romance shelf when I bought it, but it should have been in "horror". So... just not my type of book.
Mommacat
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Serenity Falls trilogy author manuscript
Strega
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, what a finish!!! Awesome end to the Serenity Falls trilogy, but still left just a few threads dangling. James A Moore has made it on to my 'favorite authors' list.
Lynn
Jun 21, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a "must" read if you have read the other two books in this series. In my opinion, the first one was the very best one, the second one was still good, but this one I had trouble finishing. It didn't answer a few questions that I had, but I haven't been able to find any other books by Mr. Moore that answer them either. While it does wrap up a few ongoing storylines, it doesn't tie them all up by a long shot. Still, it was an ok read.
Pamela
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
A curse on the town and John Crowley, the hunter who has come to save the town. Supernatural Thriller, demons, etc. Interesting but don't think I will read books 1 & 2.

(2010 December note - it may be a better book than I remember - I had just finished a couple of books about Ecuadorian missionaries - that may have colored my feelings about this one.)
H3yd00
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2006
The final book in the Serenity Falls trilogy. An excellent ending to the story, everything wrapped up neatly at the end. It wasn't my favorite of the three, maybe since it was the end of the series, but still a great book.
Brett
Feb 12, 2013
Ghost
Jul 12, 2008
Susan
rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2012
Nov 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Crooked House: The Lilith Chronicles Book I
  • Tales from the Nightside
  • Princess of Death (Three Provinces #1)
  • MARY: Unleashed (Bloody Mary, #2)
  • The Hollower
  • Thor's Wedding Day: By Thialfi, the goat boy, as told to and translated by Bruce Coville
  • The Dream Years
  • The Barrens and Others
  • Tales of Arilland (Books of Arilland #5)
  • Circus: Fantasy Under the Big Top
  • The Uncanny
  • Toybox
  • Ghost Killer (Ghost Seer, #3)
  • The Book of Shadows (Herculine, #1)
  • Mordred, Bastard Son (The Chronicles of Mordred, #1)
  • La Corda d'Oro, Volume 3
  • Terminal
  • Mary Hades (Mary Hades #1)
James A. Moore is the award winning author of over forty novels, thrillers, dark fantasy and horror alike, including the critically acclaimed Fireworks, Under The Overtree, Blood Red, the Serenity Falls trilogy (featuring his recurring anti-hero, Jonathan Crowley) and his most recent novels, seven Forges, The Blasted Lands, City of Wonders , The Silent Army and the forthcoming The Last Sacrifice ( ...more
More about James A. Moore...

Serenity Falls (3 books)
  • Writ in Blood (Serenity Falls, #1)
  • The Pack (Serenity Falls, #2)