Start by marking “The Voices of Silence” as Want to Read:
The Voices of Silence

The Voices of Silence

In 1989 Romania it's unthinkable to criticize the country's leader. Flora Popescu can't imagine a revolution, but suddenly daily life brings frightening changes. Some changes seem connected to a new classmate who dresses and eats better than his poor classmates. As Flora's world crumbles around her, she learns that her father's in danger and only she can save him from the ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published March 9th 1998 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1997)

Lindsey
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romania
A middle grade novel, verging on a young adult novel, set in Bucharest, Romania in the days surrounding the 1989 Revolution. The entrenched fear, repression, and mistrust of the Communist era are told through the eyes of a 13-year-old girl. Written by a British journalist who covered Romania in the months after the Revolution.

A quick read, but filled the whole time with a sense of dread for the main character, Flora, and her friends and family. You know there is a "happy ending" for the country
Brianna Sours
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that started it all-my love for reading. I read this book in the 6th grade, it was the first real chapter book I had ever read. I remember thinking it had way too many pages and there was no way I could read it all in time to turn in for a book report. When I finished I felt so accomplished (silly I know) but I also remember thinking books were magical and so with that said this book will always have a special place in my heart.
Rose Ryus
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Voices of Silence is an eye-opening book in which one can really see the realities of life under a communist-dictatorship government. The main character, Flora, lives in extreme poverty, surrounded by European nations with high-living standards. This hurts Flora in a very strong way emotionally. She knows that she is unlucky. The book moves quickly at the end, after all the mysteries are unraveled and Flora and her best friend Alys have to escape from the war. The best parts of the book are ...more
Camille Vargas
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the first non-Goosebumps/Fear Street books I've read and not only did it made my love for reading grow, it also made my appreciation of little things (such as a chewing gum and a banana) grow to such heights at such a very young age.
Marcela
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Iman
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Story of the revolution in Romania, 1989, from the view of the people. Flora's family is on edge as her father is involved in the upraising against the government, and so is her best friend, Alys. Flora is torn between her family and Alys, who hides the truth from her for her own good, and Daniel, the new boy in school, who listens to her (for personal benefits). It takes time for Flora to piece everything together, but she manages well.

A children's book, but filled with significant points to no
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 180 pgs

1989, Romania. 13 year old Flora's life is full of silence, secrets, and hardships. No one is allowed to criticize the government. People must stand of long lines to get just about anything. Everyone lives in fear of being accused of being disloyal. But suddenly there are signs that things may be changing. Flora finds herself and her family caught in the middle.

Great story!!
Sally Flint
Apr 26, 2016 added it
Shelves: teen-reads
Endorsed by Amnesty International this is a valuable and informative read about a teenage girl, Flora, living under the Romanian dicatorship and observing its downfall and the effect of this on her political family. Other than this it mainly explores issues of trust amongst family and friends. It is educational and quite interesting but not brilliant.
Mazzou B
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Good, accurate (as if I would know, having never been there ;P ) picture of Romania during the time of the uprisings against ''comrade'' Ceaușescu. (right after Berlin wall got taken down)

Didn't love the girl (Flora) but she was realistic for sure.
Kirsty
Really interesting little read. Perfect if you are interested in the Cold War and social impact it had upon countries within Europe.
Mary
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Set in Romania during the communist rule during and after the destruction,of the Berlin wall as citizens were timid and frightened but had had enough of their government.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A historical novel set in 1989 Romania during the revolution.
Hannah
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is a quick read. If you like books like Anne Frank's Diary or Number the Stars, you will enjoy this.
Frankie Rufolo
Serena
Jul 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
(From official website)

As someone who has worked right across the media, I ‘meet’ the widest range of people through my books for adults and children, journalism and broadcasting. And I love it – especially my latest metamorphosis into an advice columnist, first for The Times and now for the Daily Mail on Saturdays. Believe me, there’s no complacency when I say I am blessed with a terrific life. I