Start by marking “The Dog Days of Charlotte Hayes” as Want to Read:
The Dog Days of Charlotte Hayes

The Dog Days of Charlotte Hayes

It's not that Charlotte hates dogs. Or that she wants all of them to disappear off the face of the planet. It's just that she doesn't see why everyone loves them so much.

So how did she get stuck taking care of a big, drooling Saint Bernard puppy? Rain or shine, hot or cold, poor Beauregard is left chained in the backyard. No one ever plays with him or checks his food and

Published March 17th 2009 by Greenwillow Books (first published March 1st 2009)

GirlwiththeBraids
Jan 14, 2009 GirlwiththeBraids rated it it was amazing
Beauregard is a big, drooling, slobbery mess of a Saint Bernard and Charlotte is sick of taking care of him. But she knows she has to, because no one else will. Her father brought him home a few months ago but no one will look after him. Charlotte dreams that Beauregard will go to a good family, one that lets him come inside the house and that will love him. Plans fail and Charlotte is about to give up. Then she heard about the Saint Bernard Rescue Foundation. The problem is, her father doesn’t ...more
Iliana
Sep 14, 2015 Iliana is currently reading it
The dog days of Charlotte Hayes
By:Marlane Kennedy.

This book is about a girl Charlotte and her new big Saint Bernard puppy named Beauregard(Killer). How did she get that dog? Well, Charlotte doesn't really liked dogs. It was not that she wanted them to disappear from the face of the earth, she simply didn't like them. And she ended up having one. So how did she get him? Well, she saw him chained in someone's backyard and he looked so sad. He had no water or food, and no one ever played with him.
Mary
Jan 12, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-youth
I received an advance reading copy of this book to read and review for HarperCollins Publishers.

This is a great book about a young girl who changes during the course of the book and yet her core person stays the same. I thought I had the book ending all figured out and was definitely surprised! Charlotte is a great character. I loved her, her family and her friends - they all seemed very real. Throughout the book, Charlotte does what she thinks is best for others without regard for how her decis
Nancy
Dec 21, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fiction
A sweet book for middle graders. Charlotte Hayes is not a dog person, and her family has recently purchased a St. Bernard. Her flaky father loses interest in it. Her teenaged sister is too busy with homecoming and boys to worry about it. And, her mother is preoccupied with her infant brother and postpartum depression to care about it. So that leaves Charlotte to care for him. After realizing that she is limited in her ability to provide Beauregard with a truly good home, Charlotte plans to find ...more
Sandy
Jul 05, 2009 Sandy rated it really liked it
A dog book for those who love them - and for those who don't. I liked the tenuous relationship that Charlotte and Beauregard have and watching Charlotte's love for this animal grow despite the fact that she really doesn't want to take care of him was actually pretty touching. This complex relationship, as well as the subplots about the new girl in school and her mother's post-partum depression, were subtle and kept the story focused, but added dimention to the story.
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, 2009
Charlotte is not a dog person, and yet she is the one who is taking care of the family dog. She decides the best approach is for her family to get rid of the dog. But can she do that when her father still wants to keep him? This book was absolutely charming. I was sorry to see it end when I reached the last page.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Boni
Aug 04, 2009 Boni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-mg
Realistic, well-drawn characters, believable situations and a somewhat unexpected ending, which was nice. Though the size of the book may be a bit daunting, it's an easy read for chapter book readers wanting to stretch a bit to mid-grade fare. Lovely book that will stay with me, I think- and those are the best kind, right? :)
Alyssap
Mar 03, 2017 Alyssap rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs, animals
I absolutely love dogs, so this book was very enjoyable. Charlotte, the main character, told herself she wasn't a dog person until she realized her passion for them in the end. She went through a lot, but only for a dog. The book is full of twists and turns, and I definitely recommend reading it.
Stephanie
First off this was a book my son bought a few years ago from a scholastic book fair at his school. He read a few chapters but didn't finish the book (he said it was a girl book). A few months ago I told him to clean his room and put everything he didn't want in the hall. He didn't want any of the book he had in his room. I planned to give them to his pediatrician's office because they have a book exchange and they also donate books to local charities. Anyway, i kept this book and wanted to read ...more
Julie
Jan 30, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok
This is one of the Virginia Reader's Choice selections for elementary students this year. Personally, I'd give this book one star but my daughter liked it well enough for me to average our ratings and bring it up one.

I think the message this book sends (although not the intended main one which is that Charlotte learns to like dogs) is just horrible. While the protagonist might feel sorry for her St. Bernard, the adults around her neglect the animal so poorly that they ought to be cited for anima
Alyssa Calhoun
Charlotte's dad just got a St. Bernard, and at first he and the rest of the family was taking care of it. And Charlotte liked it that way--she's not a fan of dogs. However after a few weeks the "newness" wears off and everyone is ignoring the dog, who stays chained up in the yard. Charlotte feels bad for him and starts taking care of him, even though she doesn't enjoy it. Soon she comes up with a plan She secretively comes up with a plan to buy the dog from her dad and give him away to a St. Ber ...more
Evy
Mar 23, 2011 Evy rated it liked it
Charlotte Hayes is not a dog person. So how does she end up taking care of a big, slobbery dog? I think this book is very deep...deeper and far more passionate than it seems. Though it appears to be just about a girl whose family neglects the dog they adopted and how she must take care of it to compensate for the lack of attention, it is much more. The moral of the story is that in order to make things better, sometimes you have to give things up. Sacrifice for things you really want or need. In ...more
Bonnie
Jul 30, 2011 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte is NOT a dog lover but she does have a caring heart and finds herself trying to do what is best for the neglected family dog by trying to find a new home for it, without telling her father. It was a little harder for me to warm up to this story, as opposed to Marlane Kennedy's delightful "Me and the Pumpkin Queen" for the simple fact that I deplore irresponsible pet owners who get pets without thinking through how it will, and should, change their lifestyle, then think they can just pu ...more
Sonia Thiara
The book The Dog Days of Charlotte Hayes is about a girl who absolutely HATES dogs. Somehow she gets stuck looking after their family dog. Nobody cares for the dog and it is only allowed to be kept outside she starts to feel bad for the dog and lets into it. Of course having obstacles along the way.

I liked this book because it had lots of detail and the book shower how just because the things you see or hear about something doesn't mean you have to feel that way about it.

I would recommend this b
Susan
Dec 19, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Charlotte, age 11 (almost 12) has a problem. Her dad brought home a St. Bernard, and now everyone ignores the poor dog, except her. She feeds poor Beauregard and keeps his water bowl full and rubs his stomach, but, still, he spends all day and night tied up in the back yard and with a too-little dog house that he can't even fit in. She feels very sorry for him, but she doesn't really like dogs and decides it would be best to find Beauregard a good home. She comes up with some ideas, but each of ...more
Christine
Aug 01, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I picked up this book at a glance for my 9 year old daughter. She enjoyed it, and since I like to keep tabs on what she is reading, I enjoyed it too.

This is a very sweet yet somewhat realistic story about a girl's life. Charlotte's mother has post-partum depression, her dad gets caught up in good deals until he loses interest, there's a little school drama, a little money drama and there is also an elderly lady who's had a stroke. All of these elements are wrapped up nicely. C
The Library Lady
May 02, 2009 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Marlane Kennedy's second book is as enjoyable s her first, Me and the Pumpkin Queen. Her characters ring true and believable--girls will feel as if Charlotte is someone they know and they will pull for her to find the right answer for the dog her father calls "Killer" and she calls "Beauregard".
Gentlereader
Heather
Jul 09, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my 9 year old old animal loving son. It was a bit long for him so we switched off reading chapters. This book had so many themes/lessons that I liked for my son: a child caring for animals, learning that you have to work hard and stay focused to reach a goal, and caring for the elderly. All of these were explored wonderfully through Charlotte and her family and friends.
Delaney Mchenry
Aug 29, 2013 Delaney Mchenry rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much because it was really cute and I am a big dog lover. I love the end because it was sweet and very happy. I loved all the characters in the book because they all had good personalitys and they were funny. I loved the dog so much because he was cute and calm and a good listener. I am super-duper glad I read this really good book.
Luanne Hatcher
Nov 06, 2011 Luanne Hatcher rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. Charlotte's tender heart for unloved, time consuming pets was touching. Many people select pets and really don't have time to spend with them. Feeding and watering is not enough! Dogs require much care and attention, and Charlotte feels that their large, slobbery dog needs a home where he will be loved, cared for, and played with regularly.
Mustang
Nov 21, 2011 Mustang rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ck, sf, cbw, ng
I loved this book, because I liked how she tried to help the dog.She saved up 250 dollars to buy him from her dad. I was about to cry when her friends husbands aunt fell down the steps. I loved the ending, because bearguard got put in a good home.I thought it was very nice when she got up at 5:00 to take bearguard in.
7709eva
Nov 06, 2012 7709eva rated it liked it
This is a realistic fiction book. It is about a girl who doesn't think her family treats the dog the best. So she tries to put the dog into a rescue foundation. I liked this book okay, but it was a very easy read. It would be a good book for people who like small realistic issues.
Karen Arendt
Jul 24, 2009 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
I cried at the end! I am not a dog lover, so I could relate to Charlotte not wanting to take care of the dog but wanting a good home for him. This book be a good way to expand the horizons of students who like to read dog stories.
Jana
This book might be fun for 5th grade students to read - it blends a cute, animal story with the angst and attitude of an 11-year-old girl. I liked that her persistence and creativity led to the solution of her problem.
Jocelyn Teregeyo
Well this is the first book i read as a little kid and i love it. so, I am encouraging you all to read this book, and learn to enjoy the company of books.Becaus a book will always be there when a friend won't.
Brittany Leigh
Sep 18, 2010 Brittany Leigh rated it liked it
BORING!!! Almost exactly like the other book by this author that I've read: Me and the Pumpkin Queen.
Bridget
Nov 27, 2010 Bridget rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
A really sweet story about a girl who wants to "rescue" her own family's dog from loneliness and neglect.
Julie
Apr 02, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jennifer Sechler
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This book was sooo cute!!
The only thing i didn't like about it was the father character, I hope someone else i know reads this soon so we can discuss.....
Tierinee Howe
Sep 20, 2013 Tierinee Howe rated it it was amazing
the book
The Dog Days of Charlotte Hayes by Marlane Kennedy was a great realistic fiction book. the characters in the book were so funny and they did lots of realistic things.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Franny Parker
  • The Seventh Level
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
  • Dog Finds Lost Dolphins: And More True Stories of Amazing Animal Heroes (National Geographic Kids Chapters)
  • Sun & Spoon
  • Because of Shoe and Other Dog Stories
  • My New Best Friend (Friends for Keeps, #2)
  • Word After Word After Word
  • Storm Warning (Dog Whisperer, #2)
  • Captain Nobody
  • We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes
  • Mudshark
  • The 100-Year-Old Secret (The Sherlock Files #1)
  • Stick Dog Dreams of Ice Cream (Stick Dog, #4)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Practicing the Piano: But She Does Love Being in Recitals (Moxy Maxwell, #3)
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
  • Leaving the Bellweathers
  • Camille McPhee Fell Under the Bus ...