Start by marking “That Guy” as Want to Read:
That Guy

That Guy

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  6,744 ratings  ·  1,233 reviews
He’s That Guy.

You know, the hero in almost every romance novel.

Published June 18th 2018

To ask other readers questions about That Guy, please sign up.
Patrizia In this interview she said that Yes, there'll be Cam's book!
In this interview she said that Yes, there'll be Cam's book!

·  6,744 ratings  ·  1,233 reviews

Start your review of That Guy
Colleen Hoover
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goats
I was asked to read this book by the author who paid me seven goats to blurb it. One of the goats died during shipment and the other six goats arrived as cats. I explained to Kim that she sent cats, not goats, but she said cats were what we agreed on and she can’t help it if I can’t spell “cats” right and spelled it g-o-a-t instead.
I kind of feel like I got cheated for the blurb on this book, but I read the book anyway and, while it was funny, I couldn’t help but be distracted by the thought of
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
Apr 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
Recommended to SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ by: Linda

IT’S LIVE!

Stand-alone.
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK | B&N | KOBO |
Blurb:
He’s That Guy.
You know, the hero in almost every romance novel.
The super-rich, powerful CEO who is beyond sexy. Lives in a penthouse. Is wicked in bed. Has massive…feet. Is kind of a jerk, but really he’s not because he harbors some major secret that, once revealed, explains why he is the way he is—therefore completely redeeming himself and making all the readers who hated to love him swoon….
Yeah. That one.
Well, I found him.
I’m
Alex ♈
Arini
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Arini by: Melanie A.
3.5 Stars

As far as ‘poking fun at romance tropes’ goes, That Guy did it with flying colors. Well, to some extent. The humor was belly laugh tear inducing kind of hilarious, but it was also a little over the top. It was like the book was trying to be funny all throughout, and sometimes it just didn’t work.

One of the reasons I didn’t rate the book higher was the heroine. I loved her bubbly and charming personality. But she had this innocence about her that instead of coming off as cute or endearin
Melanie A.
5+ STARS!!
"That mouth of yours, Penelope Hart, will be my demise."
Yeah, you read that right . . . 5+ STARS!! I'm not even going to pretend to be embarrassed that I LOVED this book so much.

Truly, this is a MUST READ for all lovers of romance and satire.

Why, you ask? Because it pokes fun at every cliché known to contemporary romance. It was a TOTAL RIOT. Then, add a pinch of depth and emotion to the humor and Voila! there was MAGIC.

So, any attempts to explain the plot would be point
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
Lol, this was hilarious.
Jess☺️
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That Guy by Kim Jones is not your typical Kim Jones book there isn't one sexy biker in sight 😖 but we do get hot sin of a billionaire 😍.
It's a quick, easy, hilarious and exceptionally naughty read.
There are a few moments when you feel embarrassed for Penelope with her crazy actions and run away mouth but there are also plenty of giggles.
If you want a fun naughty read then this book is highly recommended.
Giorgia ~ Reads
3 ⭐️

Still processing.. but the takeaway from this book is that, humour can only get you that far if you don’t have a strong storyline to back it all up.

I feel like it’s a 4 stars for witty, funny one liners and crazy ass antics but story and romance wise it was underwhelming..

I didn’t care for the romance, as for the plot, after the initial unorthodox introduction there wasn’t anything exciting happening.

Oh, also, the sex talk was kinda cringey, I guess I couldn’t picture Jake saying all tha
Jade Violet
I am usually one sick and twisted chick when it comes to romance not a romantic comedy girl at all. That being said, I think this may be my favorite book this year! My God, just the opening paragraph was a "wtf???" I cannot imagine how anyone could not laugh at some (most) of the stuff that comes out of Penelope Hart's mouth or the push pull between her and Jake Swagger. Yep, that's right, the billionaire's name in this book is Jake Swagger and swagger he does. Penelope is absolutely priceless - ...more
Trish
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my kind of Heroine

I feel like I should write some kind of review because my rating is so much different than all the 5 stars. There may be some spoilers, but I don’t know how since nothing really happens in the book. It’s being kind to say it’s formulaic.

I just absolutely hated the main character. She’s useless, vapid, rude, & immature. What was with all the selfies meant to make her friend, who is struggling through a breakup, jealous? She wants to give a guy an ultimatum after about a wee
~ Cariad ~
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was EVERYTHING I hoped it would be...and then some!!!
description

I could gush for a thousand words about how much I LOVED it, but honestly, I just want to thank Kim for writing it and making me smile, laugh and swoon constantly during a week when, well... I really needed it, in RL.

Truly, she is the Queen of funny, snarky, quirky banter and an outstanding storyteller. I've read and loved every single one of her books - but for me, this one was the BEST.
LOL hope she's always blessed with that box
Raine Miller
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kim Jones has written a hilariously funny Rom Com with a clever heroine quite unlike any I've ever encountered in a romance novel. Five Smart and Sassy Stars for Penelope and Jake in THAT GUY!

Raine Miller
NYT Bestselling Author
Penny
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

I really liked this book.

I need to admit that I am a bit dissatisfied with the events towards the end. This book could have been a 5 stars review for me, were not for a couple of simple things. The first half of the book is really funny. I laughed a lot, and had a lot of fun reading it. After that, the romance developed nicely and I enjoyed it a lot. Where it felt short for me was at the very end. The end was very abrupt, forcefully dramatic and it left me unsatisfied. T
My Pink Fairytales
Hysterical ⭐️

I don’t remember the last time I laughed so hard while reading a book!

I gave it a 5⭐️ just because:
I loved the heroine, even with her numerous shallow comments about that guy being so rich.
I got enough Pretty Woman & Fifty Shades of Grey references.
I think I might have peed myself laughing at the crazy things Penelope was thinking or saying most of the time.
There was some serious smutness, but even those scenes were hilarious.
Last, but not least, that heroine is my type of girl.
Radd Reader
“Loving you is the easiest thing I’ve ever done”

Characters
Jake (CEO of his own company, Venture Capitalist):
The following words/phrases were used to describe hero: sexy, hot, Rich, Single, Works too much, Takes life too serious, Controlling, Ambitious, Secretly generous, driven, Independent, Loyal, confident, powerful, authoritative

Something to know about Jake:
- Jake’s last name is Swagger. Cheesy?? You bet. But, after I got to know him I couldn’t imagine any better last name. He defini
Josiane
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG! This is like my 5th or 6th really good book in row. I'm almost scared to pick my next read. This streak can't last.

I literally ate this book up. I could not put it down. It's funny and sexy and the perfect book for all of us romance readers as the author pokes fun at the concepts that we love of the genre. I loved it!
Mindy Lou's Book Review
This was fun, playful and just what I needed to get me out of my slump. I adored Penelope. She was quirky and the star of this book. She’s silly and she made me smile a lot.

Jake was a jerk at first. I didn’t like him, until I did. The more he fell for Penelope, the more I fell for him.

The best friend, Cam was just as enjoyable in the story. I hope his story is next. That ending was a complete tease!

I did the audiobook from audio escape and would highly recommend it. The narrators were awesome!
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: June 18, 2018
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Actual Rating: 5 stars

Recommended Read

This book is hysterical! I was laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my face. I nearly dropped my iPad in the pool from giggling so hard. Ah!!! Kim Jones has written a one of a kind, unrestrained, over the top, side splitting romance. I couldn't get enough of this book- Penelope is my "spirit animal". If you need a book to lighten your mood, one that will lift you up, make your sides hurt fro
Syndi
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF

This book is making fun of all the stereo type of romance stories. The cocky, brooding hero. The clueless damsel in distress. And it is also making a poke of the stereo type of plot/ story. Such as BDSM, billionaire hero and the dramatic twist when the hero finally reveals his vulnerable side.

The forst 10% is promising and funny. I thought I am for a ride for rom com story. Then the story progresses, there is when I lost it. I can not feel the connection between Jake and Penelope. Some bante
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
2 stars. Is there a such thing as an actual funny romantic comedy book with a heroine who isn’t an annoying airhead or am I asking for too much? Jesus this book was painful. Unfunny and try hard.

I hated the characters. Penelope isn’t someone I relate to at all. She had the mentality of a 16 year old girl experiencing her first crush and I hated that every time she even thought about Jake she pretty much went into heat. Even when he was treating her and talking to her like garbage she was was st
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
Spoilers ahead

This book was everything I never knew I needed today!

Laugh out loud funny
Sexy
Alpha hero
Quirky Hilarious maybe a bit crazy h
No cheating or OM/OW drama

On the negative side
Single POV
There were brief moments where the h was almost a doormat
H was a former manwhore, one who hired high class escorts and their initial sexy times where it was similar to his times with the escorts pissed me off
It seemed everyone knew of his escort thing so there were some mentions, some ppl mistaking the h
The Book Bee
Mar 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
Well, ok....knowing Kim Jones and all her funniness (work with me here), I saw this book and HAD to add it to my shelf. This looks way too funny to pass up!!!
Rebecca Woodward
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
4.5 Stars

What a fabulous, funny and sexy read. The banter between the characters are hilarious. "That Guy" was written so well and full of surprises. This is a perfect summer fun read. I can't wait to read Cam and Emms story. I enjoyed reading from Penelope's POV. Her thoughts were read aloud and she made herself laugh. As we follow her story I can visualize a movie. Nick Bateman and Margot Robbie is my pick.
Marie Vasquez
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2018
5++ Stars

If you’re looking for a light-hearted, laugh out load read to lighten your mood or get over a #bookhangover THIS is the book you NEED. I laughed from start to finish - literally!!!

“How the hell did you mistake Pah-nell-ah-pee Harr-ttt for Miss Sims?”
“It’s an alias! The name Miss Sims is an alias!” he shouts to the ceiling. “Mother of fuck, woman. You’re like a goddamn fungus!”
I smile. I can’t help it. “Because I’m growing on you?”

OMFG! This book was the FUNNIEST book I have read all y
Antonella
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun, lol
This book was hilarious. So if you are in the mood for some unpretentious & just some funny read, this is the book. I admit Penelope is not for everyone so you will either like her, or she will annoy you. I liked her. She is like so many of us romance readers. The side characters were very much amazing.

This was just what the doctor ordered, at the moment after some emotional draining reads, so I enjoy it. So many laugh out loud moments....
If you need some ridiculous, feelgood & fun reading tim
JESSI ☾
I don't think I've EVER laughed this hard while reading a book!!

description

At first, I am not going to lie I was a little annoyed with Penelope's character. I don't think it was her necessarily just my own issues with how some authors tend to describe southern characters. After the story got going, I realized that was just her personality which I ended up LOVING!!

Now Jake, I loved from the minute he showed up. Yes, he was an ass and okay yeah, he was kind of a dick to Penelope, but it all comes around i
Steffi De Ceuster  ♥
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, funny
This has been on my tbr for quite some time now. I was just a bit scared to start also. Because I love comedy movies but in books it's just harder to like. But I loved every second of this!

Penelope meets Jake in a "bad" way but it's just so funny! It could be worse but when I was in that moment I had a run for it moment and Penelope has a different moment.

They are so much fun to read!

I would recommend this one so much!!
AvidReader
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: may-be
This was book was in no way realistic but full on, all out crazy!
The heroine was one of a kind crazy but I liked her. And hero was so good with her except that one time.
I admit I didn’t like the heroine at first and her antics made me almost dnf this book as I’m not a very big fan of rom-com anyways. Then she made me laugh. Not a mere chuckle or giggle, an all out rolling on my bed laugh. From that instance onwards I started finding her antics hilarious.
Safe and recommended.
Melanie♥
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
Laughed from the first chapter to the last. Light-hearted funny read.
Sooz (P.Turners Book Blog)
** Full review to come, but what I can tell you as a spoiler is that I frigging loved this book!! **
Fallen Into Tijan...: That Guy by Kim Jones [July] - (UTM™: Maraya) 3 19 Jun 30, 2018 09:19PM

• No te enamores de Blake Anderson (Hermanos Anderson, #1)
  • Siete citas para Valentina
  • Y el mundo no dejaba de girar
  • Nuestra imperfecta historia de amor
  • Nuestra perfecta historia de amor
  • Siempre será nuestra canción
  • El universo de tu corazón
  • Two Weeks Notice
  • Passionately- Personal shopper- Bonus Track
  • Misión Potro
  • Londres contigo
  • The Naked Truth
  • King of Lies (Empire of Lies, #1)
  • A la sombra del arcoíris
  • Su nombre era Rico Salas
  • Si Los Monstruos No Se Van
  • Park Avenue Prince (The Royals Collection, #2)
  • El chico que caminaba como John Wayne
Kim Jones is just a girl who writes books, has a box fan and laughs at her own jokes.

News & Interviews

“That’s one of the perks of being a writer. You get to put mean people in a book. And then you get to kill them.” 2 likes
“one. “Valentino.” 0 likes