Start by marking “Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol” as Want to Read:

Includes bibliographical references (p. 305-313) and index.
Published January 1st 2000 by Bethesda Press

Start your review of Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol
Barb Lawrence
Sep 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, cooking, reference
A must-read for anyone, but an especially viable reference for anyone in the health industry. Scientifically explains why coconut oil, palm oil, butter, lard, and whole milk are quality fat. Scientifically explains why we should not believe the propaganda about vegetable oil and margarine--these are man-made substances that offer no benefits and should be excluded from one's diet. Fascinating book but difficult to read at times because it's so medically oriented.
Naomi
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Enig, often regarded as the "brains" behind the Weston Price Foundation, struts her stuff in this book in such a way that may be a bit much for the layman (beware, there are graphs of fat molecules).
Margaret
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Nutritionists, people interested in fat
This is more of a textbook and resource rather than easy reading, but if you are a lay person interested in fats, this will be fairly easy to read (One of the nice things about it). What I liked about this book is that it not only provides a very clear explanation for the metabolism of fats but it also provided references to the makeup of specific fatty acids of many different types of fats (so you can see the proportion of medium chain to long chain to short chain, etc). There is also an incred ...more
Augusts Bautra
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enig's book is very accessible and accomplishes the goal of broad, yet in-depth instruction in the biochemistry of fat as a dietary component perfectly.

Enig, being a scientist, does not shy away from fat-chem 101 and provides a perfectly lucid explanation of what fats are and how they are differentiated into saturated, monounsaturated and plyunsaturated groups. She also drums in a very important message - you are far better off without trans fats, while much better of with a plentiful serving o
Ixiana H.
Mary G Enig is a trailblazer and expert in the field of fats and nutrition. This book is a must-have in your reference collection.
Michelle Borders
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read on the science of dietary fats. Very well researched.
Cavin Balaster
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brain-injury
Dr. Mary Enig provides a wealth of scientifically sound information about the importance of certain fats in ones diet. I suffered a serious brain injury in 2011 that almost always results in a coma that only 10% ever wake from. While the book is quite complex, it is indeed thorough and serves to demystify the role of the several types of saturated and unsaturated fats in our diet, and what fats are most important for brain and body health. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is able to co ...more
Andrea
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Review from a nutrition student: Very well organized book but if you already know about fats, it will only teach you a little bit more than you already know. I might recommend it for learning about fats, although I personally think a textbook is much more straight forward, but then again a textbook might not have a holistic view about fat. I wish this book had gone into more detail about mechanisms rather than just outcomes. I also found the Q/A section at the end to be less than helpful. If you ...more
Nadia
Had the privilege to visit Sanoviv Medical Institute in April 2008 for the One-Week-Comprehensive-Medical program. (www.sanoviv.com) In one short week I had the most thorough medical evaluation with returned home with a large binder detailing health & wellness protocols to implement. A list of recommended reading included this book by Mary Enig. Provides an excellent basic primer on all fats. And what you may have learned is 'healthy fat', may in fact not be so healthy after all. ...more
Katharine
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read the first 1/2 of this book for my nutritional therapy class. Clearly an excellent reference book, but very technical and difficult for me to read. Reliable information, however, if you're interested.
Trisha
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was too technical for me with chemistry and detailed information. This would be good for a researcher.
It's amazing this information was known 10 years ago and so many think low fat is healthy.
Erin Stuhlsatz
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: food, nonfiction
I didn't like this book nearly as much as I wanted to. It was a little bit confusing and not very well organized. Dr. Enig gave lots of technical details but rarely the big picture that would make sense out of them.
Suzanne
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very dry, fact based book. It was hard for me to understand some parts but this is a good reference to have on the shelf for any nutritionist. See a great review of the book here:

Melissa Rozeski
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I would have never read this book, if not for my studies, but I ended up really learning a ton from this book!!! Well written, well researched. If you care about healthy fats and want to know more about the good side of cholesterol and saturated fat, this is a must read!!!
Patty
Sep 09, 2012 marked it as to-read
recommended by Masha
Jeannie Romanello
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kitchen shelf keeper for a reference.
Karsten Uphill
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book on rethinking medium chain fatty acids (they are actually good for you) such as coconut oil.
Dave Riley
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Proscriptions aside this is a useful background resource on all the fats you can eat.Fats are coming back. They're 'in'. So if you want to eat nouvelle cuisine, you gotta know your fats.

Nan
May 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty dry and dense.
Xavier
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it
To read, or not to read about fat, that is the question.
—with apologies to the introduction.

Carol Ann
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended by a friend and I use it frequently as a reference book. Very good.
Jayna
Maureen
Aug 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
  • Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
  • Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs,  and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers
  • Jonathan Livingston Seagull
  • A Room of One's Own
  • The Mill on the Floss
  • The Hypnotists (The Hypnotists, #1)
  • Fuzzy Mud
  • Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
  • Hiding Out at the Pancake Palace
  • Crenshaw
  • Bluefish
  • Henry the Steinway and the Piano Recital
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
  • The Night Diary