Start by marking “Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life” as Want to Read:
Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life

Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  561 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
"When you eat raw foods you feel great. I just wanted to share that."-- Juliano
Raw [adj]. 1. clean 2. pure 3. uncontrived 4. free 5. safe 6.uncontaminated

Raw [adj]. 1. uncooked. 2. in the natural state; not processed or manufactured

Cook [v]. 1. to prepare food. 2. Brit. Colloq. to tamper with; falsify.3. slang to ruin

What is Raw?
UNcooked
UNadulterated
UNbelievably Delicio
Published April 27th 1999 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about Raw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raw

Ani's Raw Food Kitchen by Ani PhyoMindful Eating by Nataša Nuit PantovićRaw Food Made Easy by Jennifer CornbleetRaw Food/Real World by Matthew KenneyAni's Raw Food Essentials by Ani Phyo
Raw Food Recipes
50 books — 36 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,109 books — 1,032 voters

More lists with this book...

Ashley
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
By far the best cookbook I've read on the raw cuisine. Lots of wonderful colored pictures, something that is quite essential to a good cookbook. I wish I could visit Juliano's restaurant! Actually , one day I'm going to do just that. He knows what he's talking about, and I've got to try these recipes at home! So inspiring and easy to follow, whether you're interested in pursuing a raw food lifestyle or not.
Pamela
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Detailed recipes and NOT for the beginner. Too overwhelming for me. Too many ingredients and complex directions, and let's not even talk about all the photos of the author. Sure would love to visit his restaurant and taste his gorgeous food, but have no inclination to painstakingly create them in my own kitchen.
Lorianne Sidhe
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health
Inspiring and beautiful to look at, completely impractical otherwise.
Rickey
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I went to this restaurant back in 1996. Wow! That was awesome! Great food, great atmosphere. It got me hooked on learning how to make some of this.
Challis
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
recipes look yummy, am eager to try some.
One question: If you are a gay man, why would you want to look like a woman? Doesn't that seem very contradictory? LOL
If you're attracted to women, wouldn't that mean you're not gay? haha! love the pics! (hilarious( but they totally freaked out my kids. hee hee
Kristy
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food, cookbook, jerk-books
Attractive-looking, but impractical. Recipes are either super bland or have a gazillion specialty ingredients. A little too extreme on the lack of breads and starch for my tastes. No real variety in recipes.
Amanda
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Aspirational...perhaps a bit too exotic for everyday life! Would love love love to go to his restaurant though!
Emily
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegan, cookbook
Actually a 3.5 for creativity, but not the best raw cookbook out there, in my opinion at least. Some recipes looked great, but a lot had expensive or harder to find herbs and ingredients. The prep times were long and the dehydration times were longer (which I would love for someone to tell me how dehydrating bread is NOT cooking it). I did get some recipes I liked out of it though and like I said, A for creativity effort. I would have given it 4 stars if there had been more pictures of the food ...more
Jeanette Johnson
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Juliano is the Richard Simmons of the raw food world.

+ Great photos of finished products
+ He chops foods into smaller, bite sized portions in a way I haven't seen other raw chefs do. So when you are chewing, you are experiencing more flavors per mouthful; I like that concept a lot.
+ Gives you comprehensive shopping lists, important for beginners who need to stock up
+ Bread recipes I can't wait to try! The barbecue sauce was AWESOME!

- The ingredient list on some of the recipes are a mile long
- Ju
Heidi
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is an amazing raw cookbook and everything i've ever made from it has been outstanding. There is only one issue, and the reason it got four stars instead of five, most of the recipes have 20 ingrediants; taking quite a bit of time and effort to make. If you are cool with that you will be highly rewarded with gourmet amazing raw delights. Oh, oh, oh! Let's not overlook the ultimatly halarious pix of Juliano, the flamingly gay L.A. author, that adorn the inside of the book. He is adorable!
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Interesting book, full of Juliano's personality. If you were to live this lifestyle the way he's mapped it out, you'd have to be quite well-off and have lots of time, space, and patience. As another reviewer said, the recipes are quite complicated. Maybe someday when I have a personal chef I will get more excited about this book.
Maureen13
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
This book is NOT for beginning cooks or basically anyone who is not a chef. Some of the recipes are easy, but many of them are ultra complicated and have a complex line of ingredients that lead you on a scavenger hunt. Also, you need a dehydrator, obscure ingredients, a coffee grinder, food processor, and a blender....to say the least.
Kate
Oct 13, 2008 added it
Shelves: 2008, cookbooks
Many of these recipes are raw versions of very traditional cooked foods, like pizza, nachos, and meatloaf, which seems kind of lame to me. Also, you need a dehydrator for most of the interesting stuff, like the simulated nacho cheese. I'd prefer something more basic with less prep, which is what normally keeps me away from raw food.
Shanna Davis
Feb 28, 2008 rated it liked it
If for nothing else, pick this book up to see pics of Juliano, I had the privilege of seeing him in his full long-haired, yoga pants wearing glory. His restaurant is AMAZING, but if you are inspired to make anything from this book, set aside about $40 and at least five hours.
Underachiever
Dec 11, 2007 rated it it was ok
I noticed a lot of inconsistencies and typos. The recipes are pretty involved/complicated. The pictures are hysterical. I haven't been able to muster up the desire to wait a whole day for the prep of one of these dishes.
Karli
Feb 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
Pretentiously complicated recipes by a once lovable turned Hollywood egomaniac raw food chef. There are much better, more realistic and comprehensible raw food recipe books out there. Don't waste your time on this one.
Jean
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Interesting. Have been exploring the idea of eating raw. Still don't know if I can do it. It actually seems like more work, than cooking the food. But this book is glossy and glamourous and it also educates.
Isis Isis
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Some of these recipes are lacking in fundamental flavors, as in ultra sour/bitter - others are far too sweet. Take care in tasting/adjusting flavors to suit your palate. This is not a good introductory cookbook - its a good second book
Adrienna
Jan 01, 2009 rated it liked it
It was interesting to know that you can eat raw foods without cooking...but I am not into rawness eating. I was trying to eat healthier and trying some of the ideas to eat less meat....some were good!
Monica
Mar 11, 2009 added it
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful book with wonderful pictures, but the recipes all take half a day to make - definitely special occasion meals. Even though "Juliano" goes on and on in the intro about how easy it is to go raw, the recipes in THIS book are not a sustainable basis for a 100% raw food diet.
Jackie Donnelly (Baisa)
Apr 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
This (un)cookbook had lovely pictures, but the recipes all had an ingredients list a mile long (and really obscure stuff). The other raw-foods cookbooks I've read have been a little less "out there" than this one. This was BEYOND gourmet...
Hannah
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Juliano has been around since before the "raw food revoution" of the past few years. His recipes can be simple if you know what your doing, but I wouldn't use this book as a go-to for someone merely interested in this eating plan.
Frank
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking_and_food
lots of complex recipes. not for beginners. has awesome ideas.
Alicia
Jan 09, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cooking
I am going to get this book. I just got a dehydrator used for $15 so I will get more out of this book.
Heather
Oct 28, 2008 rated it liked it
This guy has pretty hair (he likes putting pictures of himself in the book...), great pictures of food and interesting ideas. I keep wondering if I should try some.
Alison
Feb 25, 2009 is currently reading it
Trying to incorporate more raw foods in my diet. This is a colorful teacher, lots of pictures with recipes, and lessons on raw food! I'm in love!
Simone
Mar 17, 2008 added it
EVERY SO OFTEN WILL READ AGAIN FOR RECIPES
So
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
repeated recipes, stupid pictures of author...
Annette
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is full of very yummy recipes...but they included lots of preparation and ingredients. Maybe it would be good for special occasions or the gourmet with oodles of time!
Holly
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm curious about raw cuisine, but this book is not as practical as others I've seen. But I admire the author, who was a pioneer in the raw movement.
  • Raw Food/Real World: 100 Recipes to Get the Glow
  • Ani's Raw Food Kitchen: Easy, Delectable Living Foods Recipes
  • Raw
  • Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People
  • The Complete Book of Raw Food: Healthy, Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine Made with Living Foods
  • Living Cuisine: The Art of Spirit of Raw Foods
  • RAWvolution: Gourmet Living Cuisine
  • Living Raw Food: Get the Glow with More Recipes from Pure Food and Wine
  • The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • The Raw Food Detox Diet: The Five-Step Plan for Vibrant Health and Maximum Weight Loss
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • 12 Steps to Raw Foods: How to End Your Addiction to Cooked Food
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle